D.C. United vs. Real Madrid

Insider loyalists have known for months that this was in the works, and now, according to soccer industry sources, it is a done deal: D.C. United will play Real Madrid on Aug. 9 at FedEx Field. Mid-afternoon kickoff and, from what I understand, televised by Telefutura.

United's Aug. 8 league match against Kansas City at RFK will be moved to Sept. 9.

Real Madrid will play a second friendly on its North American tour, and as we reported exclusively weeks ago, Toronto is the top candidate. Whether that other friendly is announced at the same time as the DCU game is unclear.

United's game with Real is a rematch of sorts: The teams met at Qwest Field in Seattle in 2006, a 1-1 tie before 66,830 spectators.

While RFK would offer superior atmosphere, FedEx was chosen because of a comparable rent agreement, larger seating capacity, private boxes, the opportunity to pitch the game to the Redskins' massive season ticket holder list and better stadium amenities.

More later.....

Thoughts?

By Steve Goff  |  May 28, 2009; 9:47 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: D.C. United vs. Real Madrid (continued)

Comments

Rather disappointed this isn't at RFK, may make the difference between whether I go or not. (That and how I'm doing financially, but the RFK/FedEX thing really matters to me.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 28, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Who? Why couldn't they at least get a real team like Barca?

Posted by: sitruc | May 28, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Now that Ronaldo has nothing to celebrate, will he move to Madrid? I'd go see that.

I hear ya Jacob. RFK would be the REAL deal, I'm sure Fed Ex will be ok though. It's just going to be a bit harder to ride my bike there...
;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 28, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

What about the infamous 'width of the pitch' issue? While recognize it's just a friendly, how narrow will the pitch actually be?

As for atmosphere, total bleahh. I fully expect a parking beatdown as well.

And to complete my Kvetching treble, an afternoon match in August??

Posted by: JkR- | May 28, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I'll be there. I'd prefer RFK, but I understand why the teams want FedEx. The princes of Madrid want a big payday and a comfortable place to play. Should be a fun walk from the Blue Line on a hot August afternoon. :-)

Posted by: SSMD1 | May 28, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I am curious as to just how many hits they will get from the Deadskin season ticket holder list. How many of those people came out to see Chelsea a few years back?

Posted by: universityandpark | May 28, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I guess Jon Offside wins internet vindication.

Posted by: Section117 | May 28, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

This Telefutura thing needs to stop. MLS seems to think it's a national network, and yet it is only available in a few large, urban areas. As someone not living in the DC area, and with no access to Telefutura (despite having Directv, a sports tier, and the MLS online package) it sounds like I'll be shutout of this game, just as I am when MLS games are given "national exclusive rights" on Telefutura. Never mind that fact that even if I could get the network I DON'T SPEAK SPANISH!

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

My math says cheapest ticket at face will be $100, ranging up to $150. Season holders get a modest break.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 28, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | May 28, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Damn. I'm going to be in Portland that weekend...

Posted by: combedge | May 28, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF - I wouldn't pay $100. They'd be crazy to charge anything more than half of what you're suggesting. No one would come. You're talking World Cup prices, for an exhibition. Ridiculous. I hope the teams have more sense.

Goff -- does this mean Redskins ticket holders will get first crack at tickets?

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Cheapest tix available to planholders is $50...

Posted by: the_slammer | May 28, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"Mid-afternoon kickoff and, from what I understand, televised by Telefutura"

Ugh, 90+ degrees and humid as hell. Wasn't that horrible record heatwave two years ago right at that time? Nothing ever smelled worse than a crowded Metro car during that week. I'm nauseated just thinking about it.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | May 28, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I was wrong in post above -- game only cheapest tix for holders are $50/head, the $80 gets you parking and some food.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 28, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | May 28, 2009 10:42 AM

Seriously? That's pretty absurd. If they're going to open the 400 level of FedEx and want to pack it - there will be reasonably priced tickets up there. When the two teams played in Seattle, prices ranged between $30 and $125.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 28, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Here are ticket prices for season ticket holders, add $20 for non-holders.
Includes parking.

Lower Bowl Endline, $50.00
Lower Bowl Corners, $60.00
Lower Bowl Midfield, $70.00
Club Level Endline, $80.00
Club Level Corners, $90.00
Club Level Midfield, $100.00

Posted by: ussccr | May 28, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Great Spirit, may Moreno be healthy for this friendly, and yea, may Olsen's ankle and hamstring strengthen in the months/weeks to come; may we know who the h. our goalie is by then, and may he be playing worthily; may Gomez, as well, play up to the occasion; for while we know this is but a friendly, and we are thankful for it, we do not wish to falter on such a stage . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 28, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

DCsportsfan25:It's a Spanish football club. That probably has something to do with Telefutura doing the coverage. On top of that, how many casual American sports fans are really going to care about watching said match? I personally love the fact that I have Telefutura, it allows me to feel ok about NOT having FSC, or the MLS pay to watch package. Especially when United happens to be in the Sunday match. The bright side of not speaking spanish is that it's hard to be disappointed in the commentary when all you can understand is tiros de esquina and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOlll!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 28, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget "tarjeta amirillo" and "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!"

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 28, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan: Yes, the commentary is much better when you can't understand what some of the Spanish Langue network payasos are saying (and the jokes are corny--no downright stupid).

Sometimes ignorance is Bliss...

Still, having Thank goodness for having an option. Spanish language tv has been the refuge of the cable-less and dish-less and helped us see matches from Gold Cup to U-17's...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 28, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I picked up amirilla and roja but only because of the flash cards

Posted by: OWNTF | May 28, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I just can't get excited about a friendly where the complete starting XI can change at half-time and the visiting side(s) appears to have an attitude that they are going to take a break from their "R & R" and kick the ball around while on an American vactions.

I am not going to the game at M&T either. I just don't get any thrills from it. If the price was lower then I might be a bit more interested but even the more recent MLS ALL-Star game format leaves me disinterested. As usual, I am obviously in the very miniscule minority or these games would not take place...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 28, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

On the topic of Spanish language commentary... I found yesterday's ESPN English language announcers to be really boring. Their tone of voice made the awesome occasion seem rather dull.

As a student of Spanish, by contrast, I love the Spanish language announcers and their passion, and I think Andres Cantor is the best. I don't care for the strong Mexican accent used on Univision and Telefutura, but I enjoy how they get into the game and their enthusiasm is infectious.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 28, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I wish this had been at RFK. I will go and pray I get to verbally abuse Ronaldo for 90 minutes.

Posted by: Liverbird | May 28, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | May 28, 2009 11:05 AM

Yep - and it's a friendly. Telefutura were interested in buying the rights - the clubs and promoters were interested in taking their money. Done and done. Everything doesn't have to fit into some *better coverage for Average Joe Americans* meta-strategy.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 28, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Guess I will be watching on Telefutura. I think they have really miscalculated by having this at FedEx.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 28, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@DCSportsfan -- who else would televise the game? Would FSC? If so, then it is a mistake. If not, then they're getting the widest audience they can. That makes sense.

A primer: Ref - arbitro; Card - trajeta; Offside - fuera de lugar; first half/second half - primer tiempo/segundo tiempo; Team - equipo or conjunto or seleccion; Game - partido; Ball - balon or pelota; Play - jugada;

Goalie - portero or arquero; Edfense - defensa; Midfield - centro or mediocampo; Striker - delantero or atacante; Wingers - laterales or volantes; Scorer - marcador or goleador; Substitution - cambio, Coach - entrenador;

Shot - remate or disparo; kick - tiro; Save - tajada; Put it in - meterlo; Goal - gol or golazo; Rhythm of attack - ritmo de atague

Header - cabezazo; Corner - esquina (tiro de esquina); Throw-in - saque de mano, saque de banda or saque lateral; Goal kick - saque de meta; Free kick - tiro libre;

Foul - falta; No goal - No vale! No vale!
Field - la cancha; End line - linea de fondo; Penalty box - el area. Handball - mano! Penalty - Penal!!!

Game's over - No hay tiempo para mas! Tie - Empate; Three points for the United States - Tres puntos para los Estados Unidos, or - la victoria para los norteamericanos. DC United wins - Gana el DC United. M.V.P. is Jaime Moreno - el jugador mas valioso es Jaime Moreno.

That should have you covered for any US matches and the DCU-Real Madrid game.

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Ugh - another Wednesday night match when school is in session.

I'll be happy to watch the RM game from the comfort of my couch.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | May 28, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yankiboy
=============

Agreed. The Spanish language networks have been an asset to American soccer when we couldn't see matches anywhere else.

Muchas gracias a Univision, Telemundo, Telefutura, y Galavision.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Average joes won't care, but judging by the abundance of Real Madrid jerseys I see in my neighborhood many folks round these parts will be pleased as punch to catch the match on the boob tube on a HOT afternoon. Como se dice Grillin' & Chillin' in Espanol?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 28, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

...larger seating capacity...

By Steve Goff | May 28, 2009; 9:47 AM ET

Is this game going to outdraw the Chelsea game? If not, no need to play at FedEx.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 28, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fedssocr | May 28, 2009 11:37 AM

Just curious - why do you think that? People won't drive on the Beltway on a Sunday afternoon to see (what some might deem) a big game? Metro is an option - though most don't seem to realize that.

Sorry - I don't mean to start another 'driving to Prince George's County isn't the most difficult thing on earth' holy war.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 28, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

This is one season ticket holder who will not be going to this match for many reasons.

1. I'm out of town (I think it is great the league match has been moved so now I can go to that).

2. Even if I were in town, I had vowed to never spend one dime of my money at FedEx field (possible World Cup games get an exception).

3. Mid afternoon in Aug. for a friendly? Forget it. Who came up with this time?

Posted by: torrey151 | May 28, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Excuse my typos: Card - tarjeta, as in "tarjeta amarilla para Pepe"; Defense - defensa, as in "la defensa del equipo de DC no permiten lugar para mostrar las talentas que tiene los judagores de Madrid."

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

3. Mid afternoon in Aug. for a friendly? Forget it. Who came up with this time?

Posted by: torrey151 | May 28, 2009 12:03 PM |

-----------------------------------------------

Folks watching back home in Madrid?

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

ComcastSports net should air the game live and replay it too. Real don't want to lose to DC; but they could.

Posted by: Realness1 | May 28, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

So all of you who are fortunate enough to live in DC and get Telefutura, great for you, but a big F-U! to me, who happens to want to support the team even though I no longer live in DC. It's that kind of thinking that is going to keep MLS from ever becoming anything more in this country than an afterthought.

I'm not against there being free coverage, or Spanish language coverage. My complaint is that Telefutura gets exclusive rights which leave a vast majority of people in this country with no way to see the game. It should be available on Telefutura AND one of the English language MLS carriers, whether it's FOX Soccer Channel, ESPN2 what have you. Do you think that fewer people will want to watch DC United vs Real Madrid than will watch the random MLS game of the week Thursday night coverage of Toronto FC and Columbus? If so, why stage the game in a 90K seat stadium. It's a big deal, it should be available to the largest viewing audience possible. The last time these two teams met, it was available as part of the MLS Direct kick package, and I bought the package mid season just to be able to see that game, and I have continued to buy the package and follow more closely since.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Until DC United gets its own stadium I will never spend another dime of my own money in MD, VA, DC, or any of the other states, districts, or territories.

Can someone lend me a few bucks until 2015?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I really don't want to see Real Madrid at FedEx, but our favorite bartender is a Real Madrid fan and we're going to take him and his GF to the match.

Mamma didn't raise no dummies!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 28, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 28, 2009 11:57 AM
**********************

Real Madrid probably has a lot more fans in the DC area than Chelsea does. This blog attracts lots of posters that follow EPL closely and that's true of a large percentage of English-speaking soccer fans in this country. But there's tons of Spanish speakers. The best drawing team in the continental United States is El Tri.

I suspect that a Sunday afternoon game at Fed Ex will draw quite well if the tickets aren't too outrageous. Lots of Latinos may not be Real Madrid fans per se but they are well acquainted with the teams history and tradition.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 28, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"It's that kind of thinking that is going to keep MLS from ever becoming anything more in this country than an afterthought."

Lighten up DCsportsfan25. It's a meaningless match.

Out of curiosity, do you get the DC games on Comcast Sports Network?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe how many people are complaining about this matchup. It will be a very big crowd by any normal DC United standards.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 28, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@1-270exit - why should I "lighten up"? I'd rather watch our club take on the great clubs of Europe (or South America, Mexico, etc) than watch most of the regular season MLS matches. To me, those are much more intriguing, even if said European club may not come into the match "trying to win".

These exhibitions are a huge drawing card for the league IMO and this is kind of thing MLS should be marketing, even if they have to spend money to get it on network tv (or at least network cable). If you want to grow the game in this country, you need recognizable names, and Real Madrid is clearly recognizable. Which is why these 2 teams sold out a stadium 3,000 miles away from DC the last time they played.

To answer your question, I only get the Comcast coverage in conjunction with directkick, if the game is not on directkick, it is blacked out to me. Directkick usually shows one teams coverage so it's either DC network or the other team, I think it depends upon who is the home team.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I still think this is a GREAT thing, and if I lived in DC, I'd be there. However, it's a 12 hour train ride, hotel, food, all that trip stuff that's scaring me away more than anything else, although it being at RFK would be a big plus. That said, it's a chance to make some good money, get some good pub, and play a strong squad heading into the playoff push. Win-win-win-win-win.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 28, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

No self-respecting United fan should be spending any money in PG County, especially at Fed-Ex. Unless using the opportunity to pee on council member's front lawns while you are there, of course ;-)

Posted by: dcufan | May 28, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

That should have you covered for any US matches and the DCU-Real Madrid game.

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 11:48 AM

Gracias. Now we just need someone to translate whatever Max Bretos says.

Posted by: IamAM | May 28, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe how many people are complaining

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 28, 2009 12:26 PM

Joel - is this your first day talking to soccer fans on the internet? :-D

Posted by: Kev29 | May 28, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 |

I'm with I-270, lighten up, Francis. If you want to support the team, come to the game. Watching in your home, on any channel, doesn't support the team unless you're a Neilsen family.

Since you're out of town, I sympathize, but watch it online. There's almost no game in the world that can't be found by a motivated viewer.

But a $70 friendly on an August afternoon at FedEx? I wouldn't be sitting Shivah for that....

Posted by: JkR- | May 28, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon kick off and Fed Ex field both suck a great sucking but I'll still be there.

Posted by: kyoung3 | May 28, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

DCsportsfan25: If this is the biggest concern in your life, then I humbly retract my comment.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

@DCSportsfan -- find a bar with a satellite dish. Ask them to put on the game. Better yet, go into a Hispanic neighborhood and find a bar with a satellite. You can safely assume the game will be on.

Geez -- there are a lot of whiners who seem to have no clue how privileged we are to even have a team of that caliber come here and get TV coverage that is accessible, even if not in your home.

When I was a lad, I had to row across the Atlantic, uphill both ways, or hire a coyote to take me across the border into Mexico...just to see a La Liga team on television.

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

That should have you covered for any US matches and the DCU-Real Madrid game.

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 11:48 AM

Gracias. Now we just need someone to translate whatever Max Bretos says.

Posted by: IamAM | May 28, 2009 12:41 PM
_______________

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss!!!!!

Posted by: bs2004 | May 28, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Mamma didn't raise no dummies!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 28, 2009 12:20 PM
______________________________

"I dug her rap!"

"Cut me some slack, jack!"

Posted by: bs2004 | May 28, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@I270 - Why do you feel the need to act like a jerk? it's a forum discussing this topic. OF course it's not the biggest concern in my life, but this seems to be the most appropriate place to discuss this issue. Just seems to me like too many soccer fans want to live in an enclosed environment and not take the opinions of the VAST majority of those in the US who might like to gain more insight into the game. I've been virtually shouted down here today by fans who I assume would consider themselves "die hards". Well that's all fine and good, but if the sport is going to be successful in this country, the fan base needs to be expanded.

I thought here might be an outlet for a logical conversation about this topic, excuse me for my error.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@fishy - I currently live in a town of less than 20,000 in the middle of Kansas. Not thinking a sports bar showing soccer or a Hispanic neighborhood are gonna be easily found.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@JKR - didn't see your comment 'til after I posted, but there's plenty for you in my comment to I-270. This topic is about this game. It's the close mindedness of "fans" that seem to want to make following soccer in this county an insiders club. So I'm chastised because I complain that I can't see the game and we are all supposed to be fans of the same team?

Fine, keep it an intimate club of a select few and it'll continue to get bottom of the barrel coverage from ESPN and other media outlets with nonsensical fans posting comments on message boards like "I didn't know we even had soccer in this country".

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

A primer: Ref - arbitro; Card - tarjeta; Offside - fuera de lugar; first half/second half - primer tiempo/segundo tiempo; Team - equipo or conjunto or seleccion; Game - partido; Ball - balon or pelota; Play - jugada;

Foul - falta; No goal - No vale! No vale!

That should have you covered for any US matches and the DCU-Real Madrid game.

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 11:48 AM
___________________

Thanks; a couple more:

Rebote: deflection, rebound, or follow-up shot

Se va: literally, "he's gone." Usually for a red card

Cambio del ritmo: change of pace

Este chico es en un otro univers: This kid is in another galaxy/plant/universe

Director technico: coach

Chilena: bicycle kick

Mal intencion: dirty play (bad intentions)

Barras y estrellas: Stars And Stripes (a USA nickname)

El equipo de todos: "Everybody's Team" (a USA nickname concocted by Latin-American media, playing on the "melting pot"; used disparagingly (as opposed to Brazil, who is always everybody's second-favorite team amongst people in the Spanish-speaking diaspora of the Americas)),

Tricolores: The Tri-Color (Mexico's nickname)

Posted by: bs2004 | May 28, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@DCsportsfan25, I feel your pain. I consider myself lucky to live in an area where I have no less than 4 professional outdoor soccer teams, where the US national teams play and there are a bunch of mens and womens college teams. And where I can get to see matches on Spanish Langue tv without having to pay for cable/satellite. Not everybody has that option; I'm well aware of that fact.

The licensing rights are sold and marketplace forces are at work on what games are available and what networks. The bottom line is all about who paid the ca$hola in order to be able to show the games. SUM makes coin on broadcast rights and things like that and SUM and MLS, while closely tied together, are not exactly the same entity.

But then again, you already know all of this and me rehashing it isn't going to improve the game's broadcast availabilty...

Even those who want to "grow" the game have to consider the bottom line to consider and have different perspectives on how to do so...

Respect.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 28, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

@yankiboy - thank you for re-establishing my faith in finding someone to have a logical conversation with. Yeah, I'm totally on board with what you are saying about SUM and the need to make money. I just really want to see the league grow and it frustrates me when some of the biggest events the league is able to stage get minimal national attention. I just find it hard to believe that you couldn't get an ESPN to air a Sunday afternoon match in August with one of the biggest names in European football. Even if Telefutura offered a few more dollars for exclusivity, in this case, I say go with fewer dollars to promote the game to those who may otherwise not be able to see it.

Just my two cents.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@DCsports, if ESPN did air it, something tells me that they would put it on ESPN Classic or something that is not as available. The last time the two played, I can't recall if it was on ESPN or not. I think that it may have been on ESPN2.

Like I said before, I understand frustration and I appreciate the passion but let's compare it to one of the only other sports where they play international type friendlies--the NBA:

ESPN is an NBA partner but I can't recall the last time I saw a listing for say the New York Nicks playing Maccabi Tel Aviv. I think that you can only see those games on MSG and that they are licensed to the NBA network. I find those sort of games--even though the NBA teams are in preseason to be more interesting than your average non-playoff NBA match but the ESPN and TNT pretty much figure there is no money in getting those rights...

So in some ways, the limited national coverage aspect of the sort of soccer friendly that we are discussing is something that is faced by even an established US sport in an established league...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 28, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Dude, relax, the success of the game in this country isn't hitched to this bandwagon. If the Champions League Final wasn't shown in this country live, we'd all be with you, but not for an overpriced friendly.

Posted by: JkR- | May 28, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

already seeing Chelsea in Seattle. would rather see Real than Chelsea and rather see DCU than Seattle. still, already done tossed out 75$ for tix to an exhibition. don't think I can get away with doing it again. I'll spend the cash on DCU's meaningful games instead. but I'll watch on TV, even if that is being unsupportive of my team, as someone alleged).

Posted by: troy6 | May 28, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@Troy: So I guess your last name ain't "Nielson", huh?

Posted by: yankiboy | May 28, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Now Troy, I didn't say watching on TV is unsupportive. I did say watching on TV doesn't support the team.

Unless you have truly great karma, Dalai Lama level, or are a Neilsen family, watching from your home doesn't support the team at all, in a literal sense.

Hey, this isn't funny at all, or even snarky...sorry...

Posted by: JkR- | May 28, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

@JkR - Why do you feel the need to be so condescending? Yours the only opinion that matters or something?

The leagues been around for over 10 years and still struggles to find any sort of acceptance in the mainstream. How many MLS venues average better than 10k - 15k in attendance? How much major network coverage does the league (or even the sport) get?

Doesn't seem to me like you or anyone else for that matters knows what "the success of the game in this county" is "hitched to".

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey, you're right, you've made me see it your way now. It's an outrage.

Posted by: JkR- | May 28, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

@yankiboy - I see what you are saying, but I think your analogy is a bit skewed in this way. In your example of an NBA exhibition between an NBA team and an Isreali team, it would be the Isreali team that would consider it a "big deal". While I'm not trying to be an ugly American, and I'm in no way an NBA fan, I think most of the world would consider the NBA to be the top league. Maybe not by much over European leagues, but I still think the NBA is the biggest. So in that example, to have an Isreali (or Spanish, or Porteguese) club to play an NBA team, would be a snoozer to fans in the states, but would be a big event in the other nation. That's all I'm saying. I'm betting in the US, the casual fan might never have heard of the Chicago Fire but is pretty sure to know the name Real Madrid.

And as far as ESPN putting the game on ESPN Classic, that would still be more accessible nationwide than Telefutura. IF you don't live in a large urban area with a decent sized Hispanic population, you flat out cannot get the network. At least with the ESPN tier it's available if you are willing to pay for it. I'm willing, I just want the opportunity.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@JKR - typical message board idiot.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

LOL!

Posted by: JkR- | May 28, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

DCsportsfan25: This match is not important. It's a friendly. It's a money-grab for SUM. It will grow the MLS audience as much as the other friendlies involving Euro teams, i.e. not much.

The way I see it, you're complaint is not so much that the Telefutura broadcast impedes the growth of soccer in the US (it doesn't), it's that you can't watch the match. Living in a small Kansas town with an inconspicuous Latino population, you (better than all of us) should understand that geography and demographics play a great role in what broadcasts are available.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

@I270 - thank you for a decent response. I guess the difference is in the perception of the importance of the match. I am new to soccer as an adult. I never followed DCU while I lived in area (Baltimore, I had already left DC before the MLS was formed). I have taken to it in the past few years and am trying to get more into it as I am able. You, and others here posting in this thread are most likely very entrenched enthusiasts, and that's great. What I'm saying is for the casual fan, this seems to me to be a match that would be of interest. If I'm flipping through the channels and I see Columbus v Toronto..I'm probably not stopping. If I'm flipping and I see Columbus v Real Madrid, or Chelsea, or AC Milan, I'm probably watching. Even as you point it, it's a friendly and the European side would probably be somewhere else. It's the perception.
For the record, I'm not saying Telefutura's broadcasts are hurting the sport, the Exclusivity given to them is. IMO.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@DCS-With the basketball analogy, you have a very good point about the league perception and the level of play. Actually, it is a great one that I hadn't really considered from that particular angle. When it comes to tv ratings, I am sure that you are right because I am probably one of 12 people in this country who is not a basketball industry professional or who doesn't have Russian or Spanish ties who would probably watches an NBAtv Euroleague game of the week feating CSKA Moscow and Tau Ceramica...

But I won't pay to go see an MLS friendly with a foreign club anymore because it doesn't really interest me.

I'm kinda strange that way...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 28, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@I270 - forgot to include... as to which broadcasts are available...as I mentioned in my original post, I have Dirctv, with the sports tier (so FSC), and I have the online version of MLS Directkick (gave up the directv version in part due to this issue). So I'm spending money on the product, and don't mind doing so. I just want the product to be made available so that if I choose to pay for it, I am able. And I know there are ways to see it, but I think it should be available legitimately.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

@Yankiboy - I totally understand where you are coming from. I think we both have a lot of common ground, but with different perspectives on possible solutions and what makes a match "important". Like I mentioned above, for the die hard soccer fans, these friendlies aren't big deals. I just think it's the name recognition that could draw someone in who might otherwise not care. And in no small part my own experience (the last DCU/RM game really pushed me over the edge to becoming a bigger fan).

Like I mentioned above, just make the game available to those wishing to buy it. For the life of me, I can't understand why Telefutura wouldn't want their games included on the Directkick package, they'd reach that many more people.

Also, NBAtv does show a fair amount of EuroLeague hoops, and I think ESPN360 has some on also.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I saw the WWC at Fedex in the club section, awesome seats a great experience, beautiful clean bathrooms great concessions, no potholes that'll break an axle in the parking lots. I don't remember it costing an arm and a leg. I think I might've gotten some sort of break being part of the "USSF Soccer Family".

Posted by: MitchTooMuch | May 28, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Mitch,I was one of the masses for that WWC doubleheader (the Brazil Nigeria game was very entertaining). That was when Fedex was new. I think that it may have still been called Jack Kent Cooke and the match may have been in Rajon and not Landover.

Being a Ravens fan and not willing to pay a lot of bucks to my local MLS club play a Euro side, I haven't been back to Fedex since.

Especially not after REM wrote that "Don't go back to Rajon" song. Or maybe it was when a Post columist wrote something about us Black people who live in PG not being very interested in soccer--no that came later... :D

Posted by: yankiboy | May 28, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Way too expensive. And I already bought a ticket for a match on August 8th when I paid for my season tickets. They team really screwed over its most hard core fans by rescheduling a league game.

Posted by: lastort1 | May 28, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

@DCsportsfan25: Welcome to soccer. Don't be too quick to take offense at the comments here and don't take anything seriously that's
Posted by: I-270Exit1

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Mitch: Did you sit next to Bill, Hillary, Chelsea, and Donna? I remember seeing them on the gigantotron when Brandi (or was it Joy) equalized. Three of the four leapt to their feet applauding with excitement. The last one politely applauded until she figured out that she was on the screen (with potential voters watching), then stood up.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Live Scores, live scores, live odds comparison,match data, live tv in sports
Totally free and live online, live scores&odds on your side

Posted by: suewin123 | May 28, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

@I-210Exit1 - Thanks, I'll heed your advice.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1 - sorry for typo on your user name..guess you can't edit your entries on this board.

Posted by: DCsportsfan25 | May 28, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse