D.C. United vs. Real Madrid (continued)

*Expect an official announcement later today: DCU vs. Real Madrid on Sun., Aug. 9 at FedEx Field.

*DCU season ticket holders have begun being contacted by the club to purchase seats in advance. The price range is $50-$100 and apparently includes parking. I hear that a secondary sale will commence in a couple weeks to those interested in buying Real tickets as part of a package. The general public sale, at higher prices, will come later. Redskins season ticket holders will also have an early crack at tickets.

*Reports out of Spain today say that Real is on the brink of acquiring Brazilian midfielder Kaka from AC Milan. The club also appears to remain in pursuit of 2008 FIFA player of the year Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United. Dutch forward Ruud van Nistelrooy says he wants to return, but Italian defender Fabio Cannavaro is already on the way out. Florentino Perez, architect of the massive spending spree earlier this decade, is set to return as club president and begin re-organizing a club that has lost four straight heading into the La Liga finale this weekend vs. Osasuna and has been badly overshadowed by nemesis Barcelona, the La Liga, Spanish Cup and Euro champion.

*Still awaiting word on TV coverage, though it appears United-Real will fill Telefutura's afternoon slot that had been scheduled to show the Toronto-New York league match. Madrid's first game on the MLS tour is expected to be two days earlier (Fri., Aug. 7). Because of the intense spotlight playing at giant FedEx Field in the nation's capital, Real seems more likely to use its best available lineup in the DCU encounter. However, as is the case with all friendlies involving Euro clubs in preseason, you never know who you are going to see and for how long.

More later.....

By Steve Goff  |  May 28, 2009; 12:26 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United vs. Real Madrid
Next: United-Real Madrid Flashback

Comments

People in the earlier thread have mentioned the afternoon start time. I agree that mid-afternoon in August makes no sense. Then someone mentioned that this is done for the viewers back in Spain. Honestly, I don't think that anyone in Spain (okay, maybe a few but not much more than that) are interested in Real playing an MLS side. I think it would make for a much better game if it were played in the evening.

Posted by: CYork1 | May 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Madrid supporters are interested in all Madrid matches, regardless of opponent.

Posted by: Steve Goff | May 28, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected!

Posted by: CYork1 | May 28, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

wait, so kaka won't be in baltimore at the ac milan-chelsea match anymore. damn.

Posted by: KG118 | May 28, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Major League Baseball plays afternoon games in the summer - their fans show up. Is there anything an American soccer fan won't complain about??

And it's a friendly with (probably) unlimited substitutions - so the players won't whine too much about it.

I'm going to use it as an excuse to tailgate, have fun and half pay attention to the actual game.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 28, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Ever since DC United pounded Celtic I haven't seen the need to waste my money and United to waste energy and risk injury just to demonstrate yet again their utter superiority over these European teams.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 28, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Damn, no Kaka in the georgia dome either.

Oh well, at least then he'll be on my favorite Euro squad, and hopefully that would mean no Ronaldo.

Rudd stays, I don't know how I feel about that. I mean, granted, the guy puts the ball in the net, but, he's "old" and they've got Huntellar.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 28, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Baseball players aren't running 5-8 miles per game. I understand that there are reasons for playing the game in the afternoon; my point is that the soccer would probably be aesthetically superior if the temperature were lower. Who knows, maybe we'll get a freak cold front and it'll be in the seventies and this whole discussion will be moot.

Posted by: CYork1 | May 28, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Sunday afternoon baseball is dreadful. Starters never play (I'm a 26 year old professional athlete, I can't play a day game after a night game), it's travel day, and no one ever even seems to make an effort, honestly.

While I'm no longer a baseball aficionado, I recall feeling completely ripped off paying a good price for Sunday afternoon baseball games.

As for futbol, the heat takes a lot of the energy out of the game, as we have seen.

Posted by: JkR- | May 28, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

$50 for a friendly against Madrid in the sauna of an August afternoon at a stadium that is a pain to get to?

No thanks.

Posted by: grabowcp | May 28, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

All of you nincompoops who argue for a fall-spring schedule are not thinking outside the box like my man (or woman) CYork1. Climate change is the way to go! The Copenhagen accord won't go far enough. Lead Steven Chu. Run with the ball. Just don't use your hands.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

MLS should try to leverage this and do a Telefutura doubleheader. (Yes, I understand this means moving the time of the MLS game, which would probably be welcomed by fans and players alike).

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I think I-270 is mocking me, but I'm not smart enough to know for sure :( And yes, I'm a man, man.

Posted by: CYork1 | May 28, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

CYork1: "Man, I'm glad I'm a man. Tell you the reason I am..."

but I wont finish because I am a new age man who doesn't tell sexist jokes, at least not when there is a blog filter.

Posted by: troy6 | May 28, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I-270 doesn't mock. He rocks.

(I-270, send the check to: Joe Doc, Haymarket VA 20170)

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 28, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure DCU has made a boo-boo on their site. Right now, it appears it's the same price for the "Just tickets' offer and the Tailgate Club party/buffet option. That can't be right.

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

OK -- disregard that comment -- when you actually click through to buy tickets, there is a $30 tailgate charge.

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

way off topic again, but US-Germany U-18s just concluded. Yesterday's victory against Finland was nice and all, but how do we stack up against a big-time power like Germany? Quite nicely, thank you.

Dramatic ending first: all even in the dying moments of stoppage time, German striker gets behind the defense and has a 1v1 with GK MacMath...MacMath charges out and dives at the striker's feet, but fails to dispossess him. Striker has oblique shot at open net and...chips it over the crossbar. Huge sigh of relief and ten seconds later the whistle blows. We are on top with 4 points and Saturday we play host Portugal.

To the game: MacMath had more to do today than against Finland, but Germany didn't test him much either. Couple routine saves and a couple nice interruptions of crosses. Germany's only other chance of note went off the post. Still, a second clean sheet for MacMath.

Garza again the most talented player on the pitch, at least in the first half. He seemed a little gassed in the second and was less of a force. Germany started in a 4-1-4-1 that was so disciplined it could have been plotted with a GPS. Unfortunately for them, the US dominated the first 30 minutes or so, playing a very fluid game out of a 3-4-3. Several possessions of 9 passes or more.

Couple of good build-ups end with Ryan Finley trying to be cute. He settled down though, and made some decent runs. Dion Acoff has a burst unlike anyone else on the team; he just explodes. Nick Millington from Wake Forest does a great job of holding possession and distributing, even when under a lot of pressure. Look forward to seeing him against Maryland next year.

35th minute, Germany completely changes tactics, moves into a 4-3-3 and starts sending long balls forward and looking for breakaways. The interesting thought to me is: when is the last time GERMANY had to change its tactics to handle the US? Very satisfying thought.

Unfortunately, the change in tactics worked. Their strikers began regularly slipping behind our back line and getting chances. You already know they didn't convert any, but it was tense nonetheless.

towards the end, both sides began attacking more freely, actively pursuing 3 points. we put one off the crossbar and you heard about their late 1v1 already.

Interesting new look to our team. Germans bigger, but not that much bigger. USA faster, but not that much faster. Look forward to seeing us against the significantly smaller Portuguese side on Saturday (by the way, Portugal and Germany tied 3-3 yesterday). Should Portugal beat Finland today, our match with them will be the marquee game, with both teams sitting on 4 points. Side story: Garza is with Sporting and the Portuguese side has 3 more Sporting players on it. Curious to see how they interact on the pitch.

We beat Portugal last year in this tournament. Here's hoping we do so again.

Cheers all.

Posted by: troy6 | May 28, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

So, Madrid may play their best 11 for the United game. I wonder whether or not United will even know it's best 11 by August 9.

Either way, I bet the game ends in yet another draw.

Posted by: TCompton | May 28, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Dude, Troy, you're the man!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 28, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Not mocking CYork1. Just free-associating.

Thanks Joe Doc. The check's in the mail.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

$50 for endbzone seats on a Sunday afternoon in August on a narrow pitch with Real in pre-season mode? I love DCU but damn .....that's a Danny type rip off!

Posted by: Liverbird | May 28, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

As a multi-year season ticket holder, I vote this blows.

This season, they burn us for Special Game A and B - both used for the US Open matches against NY...games that no one (minus Barra and some Screaming Eagles) cared to attend.

Making us pay extra to watch a Real squad in the midst of a big poop scooping, er, rebuilding...priceless! Priceless to me anyway, as I won't pay extra to see it.

Thanks DCU Front Office.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | May 28, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow! I think we must be getting spoiled.

A major European powerhouse is coming to town to play beloved United, and folks are complaining about the time of day, ticket prices, and venue? Why wouldn't Madrid want to play in a large modern stadium rather than rat-infested RFK?

My only conundrum: Barca jersey and DCU hat, or DCU jersey and Barca hat?

Posted by: Mixter | May 28, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Baseball players aren't running 5-8 miles per game.

Posted by: CYork1 | May 28, 2009 1:04 PM

Posted by: Kev29 | May 28, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile Sounders ST holders get their Chelsea, Barcelona, and MLS Cup...

Goff! Do you happen to know if that is still the plan with the MLS Cup tickets? Doesn't seem fair at all. Of course it would be like a fairy tale come true if the Sounders made the MLS Cup, but that's highly unlikely. They're really setting themselves up to see traveling fans to get royally screwed by greedy ticket holders.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 28, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Madrid supporters are interested in all Madrid matches, regardless of opponent.

Posted by: Steve Goff
---------------------------
OK, undoubtedly true, but why does that make the Real fans more valuable than the DC fans? What I mean is, we have to PAY Real to come play. If they forgo the fee, fine, do everything to suit them. But as long as they are walking out with $75k for an afternoon's work, DCU's needs should come first.

Now that I think about it, if Spanish TV is kicking in a bunch of cash that then gets laundered to Real, I suppose they should call the shots. I'd like reassurance that DCU isn't getting hosed, though.

Posted by: troy6 | May 28, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"In previous years, our Special Game A/B/C tickets covered matches against Celtic, Morelia, Chivas, etc."

2. DCU front office does not dictate Real Madrid's costs and/or compensation. Imagine them demanding that RM travel and play for nothing, to spare DCU fans from having to buy tickets(?). I suppose Real should also suit up in their hired bus so we can freshen up in the visitors' locker room?

3. I know, pity that DCU's schedule is cluttered with all these MLS matches, but the fact is plenty of season ticket holders who have nothing to do with the supporters groups attend Open Cup matches.

When DCU gets Paul Allen as an investor, draws 30,000 per match, and has to cut off season ticket sales due to excessive demand, perhaps their fans will see a few more perqs like the Sounders'.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 28, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Spot on, Mixter.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 28, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Hot weather = more beers to stay hydrated.

Posted by: OhBoyOhBoy | May 28, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

"1. We're talking about Real Madrid. I haven't heard of many world players of the year trying to leave ManU to play for Chivas."

Well, that may be true, but last year, full season ticket holders got a ticket to the Barcelona game included in the season ticket package. No additional cost. And Barca > Real.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | May 28, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

uh, Godfather? I just meant that Real gets some serious cash out of the host team on these matches. Playing at a good time of day isn't that much to ask. As I recognized, if Spanish TV is paying for the match to be at that time which makes it more profitable for DCU, fine. Otherwise...

Posted by: troy6 | May 28, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to point out that it was for RBNY - Barcelona.

I felt pretty bad about losing 6-2 until yesterday.

I mean lookit: FC Barcelona: Valdés – Alves (Piqué, 46'), Puyol, Márquez (Cáceres, 61'), Abidal – Xavi (Sergio Busquets, 46'), Keita (Touré, 46'), Iniesta (Gudjohnsen, 46') – Hleb (Bojan, 46') – Eto’o (Pedro, 46'), Henry (Jeffrén, 61')

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | May 28, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | May 28, 2009 12:55 PM

There are various valid reasons for posters to "complain" about this match. Some have grown tired of the mid-season friendlies and see them as hurting the team during the season and consider them a competitive disadvantage. There may be something to that, but the money and visibility cancel that out in my book. The larger problem is the tickets are expensive, it isn't our normal home and to a lesser extent the time sucks. There is no doubt that an August afternoon match can be horrible, but my problem is the pricing. That is a lot. Baseball fans(like myself) may sit outside on afternoons like that, but they aren't paying as much. For $50+ at Nationals Park, you can be indoors and have a great view.

Posted by: sitruc | May 28, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Soooooo.... what is the expected pricing for NON- Season ticket holders, 70-120??? I assume?

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | May 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 28, 2009 2:40 PM

Kenny Cooper left to play for Dallas. Not even as good as Chivas USA.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 28, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

1998 USMNT v Scotland at RFK. Preceded by USWNT v New Zealand. Now that was a hot day. RFK sold out of bottled water in the 2nd half of the women's match.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@Bolivian -- $60-$110

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | May 28, 2009 3:00 PM

I agree with you there. Though I think that tickets to just about every sporting event are way too expensive nowadays.

/old man 'back in my day' stance

Posted by: Kev29 | May 28, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Godfather_of_Goals -

NY Red Bull season ticket holders got the NY vs Barcelona game as part of their season ticket package.

I accept that UNAM and Real Madrid are in different leagues, how does one account for this difference between Real and Barcelona?

Once DCU began Superliga and Champions League play the Front Office found a cheap way to fill out it Special Event games. Remember Nottingham Forrest? That was before they padded the schedule with UNAM, Morelia, Chivas, etc. Again, different stratum than Real, but I was more than happy to an English Championship side come to RFK as part of the package.

But back to the point, so it is up to the owners to ensure we don't get fleeced by paying extra for matches gainst 'Class A' opponents? I suspect the change in venue was specifically to provide an excuse where they could cover themselves and say they had to charge since it was outside RFK. In terms of requiring seating capacity, it doesn't hold water - against Chelsea, they only drew about 32k fans to Fed Ex. I don't expect there to be substatially more fans in tow against Real.

If the F.O. wants to nickel and dime the season plan holders, fine...so long as they remember what goes around comes around come renewal time.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | May 28, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"Soccer players aren't running 5-8 miles in a friendly. Hell, they're probably not running at all."

@Kev29: That's harsh. A friendly's a friendly, but I was at the DCU-Real friendly in Seattle three summers ago, and we got a solid half with Real's starters playing pretty seriously, against whom DCU played hard, and a second half with a lot of substitutions from Real's bench, who had something to gain from playing hard and did. Nobody was jogging.

Posted by: dccal | May 28, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Good point, BolivianDCFan. I'm worried about that too. I'm not sure I'd go for $50. Probably... but as a non-season ticket holder having to pay much more than that, I dunno.

Do FlexPlan holders get the discount?

Also, if I'm going to Baltimore on July 24th to watch AC Milan vs Chelsea, I don't know if I would also spring for a pricey Real/DC game two weeks later.

Also note that $50 will get you a "lower sideline" seat in Baltimore or $35 for a "upper sideline" spot.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 28, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 3:37 PM

**************************************

That game (the men's game) sucked, too. Bad enough to eliminate any optimism I felt for the US going into that World Cup - maybe I was lucky to be forewarned!

US-Scotland was considerably less exciting than last Saturday's DC-RSL scoreless tie. Both teams looked to be playing for a scoreless tie and we heckled them by calling them Kiwis (the Women's hapless opponent that day).

This was before Ryan Nelsen had ever suited up for DC.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 28, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

That US-Scotland game set the sport back a lot farther than Telefutura...

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

DC United should pay ME to go to this match. NO chance I go to FedEx at these prices. I look forward to telling my DC rep the exact same thing.

Posted by: Hoost | May 28, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

TELEFUTURA??!! WHAT THE HELL??!!!

Ugh. I'm all for Spanish coverage. It is COMPLETELY necessary for the U.S., especially now. But why no English coverage? And furthermore, why no national coverage? The Red Bull New York MetroBull Red Stars of Harrison, New Jersey got friggin' FSC coverage vs Barca last year. Why do we have to deal with a channel that most people do not even get, and one that is not broadcast in English (which, contrary to popular belief, is STILL the most commonly spoken language in the country, and the world as a whole).

All that ranting aside, on the few occasions I've been able to watch a Telefutura broadcast while out of town, I've really enjoyed it. I don't really understand 100% of what they say, but they do a great job, and it's always a thrill to hear the guy scream GOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

Posted by: kdiff813 | May 28, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hoost | May 28, 2009 5:47 PM
================
Hoost, there it is...

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 28, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

We're suppose to believe a Times of India report on the Kaka signing? Seriously.

Posted by: oranjebleeder | May 28, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

It's not a Times of India report. It's Spanish media reports that were picked up by the Times of India Web site.

Posted by: Steve Goff | May 28, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

We're suppose (sic) to believe a Soccer Insider report that links to a Times of India report that picked up Spanish media reports on the Kaka signing? Seriously.
:-)

What's wrong with a report in the Times of India anyway?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Live Scores, live scores, live odds comparison,match data, live tv in sports
Totally free and live online, live scores&odds on your side

Posted by: suewin123 | May 28, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Live Scores, live scores, live odds comparison,match data, live tv in sports
Totally free and live online, live scores&odds on your side

Posted by: suewin123 | May 28, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Are the Screaming Eagles getting group tickets? If so, I'm down for two.

Posted by: mpd1 | May 29, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse