DCU Matchnight #11: United-RSL

Greetings from RFK.....

If you'd like to comment on the Freedom's match, go to the previous thread created by colleague Paul Tenorio, who is covering the game.

Real Salt Lake hasn't scored on the road in four matches and has never won in Washington. United hasn't lost at home this year (4-0-3 overall), though they have dropped several points in league play. In the past two home appearances, United has scored eight goals (three vs. Toronto, five vs. New York).

Question: Who will start in goal for RSL?
Answer: Nick Rimando, who has recovered sufficiently from a severe finger laceration to return after a three-game absence.

Back soon with DCU's lineup and subs.

DCU LINEUP: Wicks; Namoff, Jakovic, Burch; Quaranta, Simms, Jacobson, Gomez, Fred; Moreno, Emilio. Subs: Kocic, John, McTavish, Janicki Khumalo, Wallace, Pontius, N'Silu. Not in uniform: Crayton, Peters, DiRaimondo, Olsen, Janicki, Barklage, Khumalo. (Is the end near for Crayton?)

Welcome to the Insider community. Pregame, in-game and postgame discussion is strongly encouraged.

By Steve Goff  |  May 23, 2009; 5:38 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WPS Matchday 7: Sky Blue FC at Freedom
Next: United Rewind

Comments

umm first?

Posted by: tphasbdp | May 23, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

wow. a "first" on my first post. This couls be athe start of something good.

SHould be a good game. I'll be really interested to see the line-ups.

Posted by: tphasbdp | May 23, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

From DCU twitter:
DCU starting 11: Wicks, Namoff, Jakovic, Burch, Quaranta, Jacobson, Simms, Fred, Gomez, Emilio, Moreno

Wicks???? Really?

Posted by: DonDraper | May 23, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I concur with the man who likes Mad Men.

As for Crayton... the sooner we decide he's not good enough, the sooner we'll find one who is. This is America, afterall. Goalies are there.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 23, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Kinda surprised that Wicks is starting. That can't be good for Crayton OR Kocic.

I take it Khumalo is injured? Good to see Pontius/Wallace get a rest, and they're definitely good subs to run against a tired RSL in the second half.

Posted by: jason1551 | May 23, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

As someone who has Pontius AND Wallace on his fantasy team, I must ask.....WTF?????????????

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 23, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Crayton's not even in uniform. That can't be good.

Posted by: ashleybone | May 23, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

RSL in 4-5-1 with Findley as lone striker. Surprise benching of Wingert in favor of Beltran. I'd expect a more conservative RSL early in this one.

Posted by: realslfan | May 23, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Wicks? Fire Soehn.

Posted by: notafembot | May 23, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm more suprised by the announcing lineup. Limarzi? Cool

Posted by: SexyOffender | May 23, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Wicks?

I'm a better shot-stopper than him and I'm all of 5'10 in cleats.

Posted by: alecw81 | May 23, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

What the heck is going on with Comcast SportsNet?! I'm getting spanish radio audio with the HD video feed. Is this happening to anyone else?

Posted by: combedge | May 23, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

combedge,

Same problem here in Alexandria. Dunno wtf is going on.

Posted by: ashleybone | May 23, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

The audio is the english CSN feed on the non-HD channel. So annoying!

Posted by: combedge | May 23, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

english HD is working fine on my Direct TV feed.

Posted by: jjfooty | May 23, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

The Comcast HD feed just switched over to the (English) Comcast broadcasters. Sounds like Limarzi during the PBP.

Posted by: ashleybone | May 23, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

So why is it that USL can provide free live video but MLS cannot?

I guess I'll watch MN vs. Miami instead of being able to catch the black and red here in Raleigh. Damn you MLS...

Posted by: rss317 | May 23, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Great save Wicks!

And now the Spanish radio feed is back...

Posted by: ashleybone | May 23, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Yep, and then back to spanish about five minutes later.

NICE save by Wicks!

Posted by: combedge | May 23, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Halftime: Never seen Moreno play this poorly. Quaranta is having a monster game.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 23, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

www.mls-rumors.net has the live feed up.

Posted by: brooksb6 | May 23, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Pontius in, Moreno out. Tino in the middle.

Posted by: dougdobey | May 23, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Nice DC United commercial on Comcast .. .uh, but why are they advertising for the 23rd May doubleheader with the Freedom and not the games to come?

Someone got some 'splainin to do.

Posted by: delantero | May 23, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

ahhhh spanish commentators back!! why???

Posted by: andrew23 | May 23, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm starting to understand what all the Fred haters are talking about!

Posted by: brooksb6 | May 23, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I used to really like Fred, but he has seemed slow and indecisive for a while now.

Posted by: tphasbdp | May 23, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

74': Wicks outstanding from the opening whistle!

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 23, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

94': great d by rsl. Nothing to moan about

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 23, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Bye, Bye, Crayton.

I can't believe it, but I'm a Wicks fan now. He was far more solid than Crayton would have been, flapping. The German saved the game.

I know that I should be pissed about tying this team at home, but I still look at that 0 for the other team and think, hell, this is a good place to start.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 23, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

So a team that scored five goals in midweek get exactly ONE shot on goal at home three days later? I just don't get this team.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 23, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

wow. a "first" on my first post.
Posted by: tphasbdp

Welcome to the clan, "first" jokes are older than my crusty jockies. Please don't continue this behavior.

Posted by: delantero | May 23, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Who is DC United's best goalkeeper?
A. Crayton
B. Kocic
C. Wicks

I think someone answered this question rather strongly tonight. A flawless match? No, but the best we've seen from our keepers this year.

Tonight, we never had any get up and go in the final third. Fred will come into form but the miss in the Open Cup and this one tonight were absolute howlers. Just touch the ball like it's an egg man! We know you have the touch, just do it.

Lastly, the JACOBSON Experiment has to end.

Posted by: delantero | May 23, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

happy birthday marxlenin jiminez.

Posted by: abgcunited11 | May 23, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Jacobs√łn played some nice D. He has pretty good ball skills too. But he stayed back too much and didn't support the line in front of him.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 23, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

"Jacobs√łn played some nice D. He has pretty good ball skills too."

He's lost. He's too tentative to play d-Mid. GO! Whether it be diving in for a hard tackle (which I haven't seen him make yet) or driving the ball forward on the dribble (with acres of green space in front of him ...) GO!

McTavish might not offer the long range shooting, but he'll give you effort and plays D a thousand times better than Jacobson.

Posted by: delantero | May 23, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I take back all the bad things I said about Wicks...for now. :-)

Definitely lost points in this game. How do we get so badly outplayed at home by a team so far down the standings?

Posted by: fedssocr | May 23, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

happy birthday julian mukherjee!!!

Posted by: birdynumnum | May 23, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired of the ties so I'll toss this out for comment: We are playing not to lose. We are not playing to win. Is this Tommy's mindset?

Posted by: carnack | May 23, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I saw glimpses of the game from the Barra Brava and Josh Wicks looked like Man of the Match to me. Disappointing performance from DC's offense though. The offense clicked better at the beginning of the 2nd half when Pontius subbed on for Jaime and Tino went up front w Pontius at right back. But RSL soon made the adjustments to deny most of the attack.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 23, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Pontius at right mid not right back.

carry on...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 23, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Real Salty is trying to be the next Houston. Big, dudes, tough play. Great Keeper. I was surprised to Sweet Nikko in the net tonight. Probably fires up his boys more than that balding nerd up in Seattle. It shows. ASK my wife about me WTFin' Wicks in net to start, but I must admit, that he did pretty flippin' well tonight.

I knew there was a reason I couldn't vote. Should have started the GROMS instead of trying to rekindle some a coupla years ago stuff..
PArty Boy and BigDubRod are the truth!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 23, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Enjoyed the "Chang we can believe in" banner and the poster unfurled at kick off! Kudos to the folks who made it happen.

Posted by: cray | May 23, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

W-Rod!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 23, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I am extremely disappointed with Tom Sohn's line up and the way we got draw again. The moment I thought he got some sense to put the correct line ups he screw up again. There is no real threat tonight on any side of the goals so even if you think Wicks did good job that doesn't mean anything because he didn't have to save anything from Real Salt Lack's threat.
No shot or threat from United either. why Pontius didn't stat? Why Wallace didn't start? Really disappointing with another draw.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 23, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Almost Forgot:
We didn't lose.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 23, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Is it me, or does Wicks look like the alien on American Dad...Good game from him though.

Posted by: alan19 | May 23, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

I thought Jacobson played his best game yet. You can tell Soehn is keeping him back. He made some "big man" plays out there and even cracked a shot when everybody else was to scared to. There were 0 shots on goal in the first half. Thats terrible on our home field. I think he showed a bit of poise containing Beckerman and getting up when Soehn wasn't looking.

Posted by: jsm3 | May 23, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Nobody has posted how dreadful Fred played. The guy has wonderful skills, but just melts when he's in the box.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | May 23, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

If chicago wins they will go on top. Emillo is not up to his DESIGNATED status.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 23, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I really don't get the double header thing. The people who want to come to United game are enjoying tailgate and do not want to go inside until the united game starts so Freedom's game pretty much left empty. There will be a only few people who sacrifies to stay on their seats for two games. I think this is a dumb idea.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 24, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Wicks played a great game. I posted in the goalie thread that I thought he was a close second to Crayton. I think he has moved ahead. The question is whether Kocic has shown enough to be the #2. Frankly, I do no think so -- so, I think Crayton may need to be re-signed.

As for the game, I really wish I had gone with my instinct and headed to the Nationals game. One of the most memorable plays there ever. Nothing very memorable happened at RFK tonight. A real stinker of a game. As often happens, DCU controls the game, but the best chances belonged to the other team because DCU cannot take good shots.

Posted by: fischy | May 24, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

my bird, I hear you, but if Fred HAD put away that GORGEOUs ball Namoff served up in the first quarter, you wouldn't have mentioned it. He's a LEAD foot, but a little more time on the pitch and FRED is not going to let us dow.
Yeah,YeahYeahs on rerun SNL...
NIce!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 24, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

I think we all need to take a breath, go to bed, and argue about this tomorrow.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 24, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Ties are better than a loss......... I'm not so sure right now. This is getting real old. What was up with all the kickball in the second half. Offensive creativity (there was none) was severely lacking in the second half. Having said that, the keeper and back line play was very encouraging tonight.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 24, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

@DadRyan:

The problem is Fred not only missed, but he made an absolute meal of the play. The average MLS player does much better and at least gets a shot on goal. There were several plays in the final third last night where Fred just completely fell apart with the ball at his feet. I also see that Goff agrees with his rating of '3' for Fred.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | May 24, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse