Early Tuesday Kickaround

*Word out of Real Salt Lake camp is that goalkeeper Nick Rimando has a slight fracture to the finger that was sliced open to the bone during Saturday's match vs. Colorado and will be sidelined approximately three weeks. Stitches will be removed in about two weeks. He started all 30 regular season matches plus three playoff games last year and had been in net for the first six league outings this spring. Chris Seitz, highly regarded after leaving Maryland two years early to sign with MLS in 2007, will finally get his chance to prove his worth at RSL over an extended period.

*Soccer on TV:
Euro Champions League, Arsenal-Manchester United 2:30 p.m. ESPN2, ESPN Deportes
Euro Champions League, Arsenal-Manchester United 5 p.m. (taped) ESPN Classic
Copa Libertadores round of 16, Palmeiras-Recife 8 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Euro Champions League, Arsenal-Manchester United 9 p.m. (taped) Setanta

*You can catch me talking about D.C. United and this Saturday's supporters' march from Lincoln Park to RFK on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live" between 5 and 6 p.m.

*Catalan celebrations after Barcelona's 6-2 rout of Real:

By Steve Goff  |  May 5, 2009; 12:01 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , Spain , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moreno Honored, Friedel Wins
Next: Daniela Update

Comments

A real bummer for Nicky. Wish United had held on to him. They really did not appreciate what they had.

It is about time that Seitz got a chance to play, though. If he is going to be a goalie for the USMNT someday, he is going to have to get busy.

Posted by: fischy | May 5, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

So Seitz is being recalled from Portland?

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | May 5, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

"Wish United had held on to him."

No way. Name a keeper under 5 10 in top flight football, international football . . .they don't exist .. . . . Rimando was a good shot stopper, but couldn't dominate the penalty box and didn't have enough vertical or imposing stature to make a guy like Cooper afraid of him. He gave his best for United, but he was not our answer.

By the way, Benny was on Fox Soccer's Phone in, which I have for a month so I can watch United . . . the dude is pure class . . . "Heart of a Lion, Body of an Ape" I believe a Barra founder said . .

Posted by: delantero | May 5, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Even if the Timbers were paying for his services I'd imagine Seitz is already back in Utah. Or he'll be there later today.

Steve thank you for doing what you can getting the word out about the march and what not. I'll be looking forward to your broadcast.
Wish me a happy birthday if you're short on material... Happy Boys Day mofos!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 5, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Damn. Is there footage?

Yeah. I'd say it was an early morning.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 5, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Barcelona will go nuts if they beat Chelsea to be in the UEFA finals. Not as nuts as beating Real, but still another excuse to go nuts.

Posted by: doh1 | May 5, 2009 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Goffer, did you specifically wait until 12:01 to be able to correctly
label it "the early tuesday morning kickaround"?

But I shouldn't be kicking around anything, I should be asleep.

Posted by: churtmah | May 5, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | May 5, 2009 12:18 AM
_____________________________________
Rimando was a good GK, but Perkins was better at the time. Rimando's form with DCU dropped sharply after 2004.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | May 5, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize that Barcelona won the World Cup too!

;)

Posted by: TCompton | May 5, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

That looks like they won the championship trophy but that's the real rivalry sign, not a rivalry talk we hear here that has no rival taste.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 5, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Jaime's 2nd goal is a candidate for GOTW. Display your homerism and vote ad infinitum.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 5, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Oh that victory over Madrid was sweet. But you have to hand it to Madrid. They were missing some key players and still went out and attacked and and played as well as they could.

One of the announcers during the classico said that Madrid have too much honor to play the way Chelsea did...I couldn't have said it better myself.

Chelsea played disgusting football last week and I have been appalled at the biased coverage lauding the courage and organization of Chelsea in English language media. Every story should have begun with "Hiddink openly admitted that his team was no match for Barcelona by employing a strategy of negative football in Chelsea's most recent match against FC Barcelona. Regardless of who advances to the finals of the CL, it is clear who Guus Hiddink knows to be the better team."

It says a lot that maybe the best coach in the world told his players not to leave their own defensive third.

Here's hoping that Chelsea actually try to put together more than three passes in the game tomorrow.

Chelsea can't beat Barca, but Barca can lose to Chelsea.

Posted by: bigbadbri | May 5, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Who was Real Madrid missing?

Posted by: Reignking | May 5, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Funny I think I'm coming down with the same sore tummy that hit me at 2:30 last Wednesday and was all better by 4:45. I may have to leave work a couple of hours early today.

C'mon the Reds!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 5, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@BlackandRedRedDevil: The CDC recommends beer as the most effective therapy for what you have.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 5, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: forpat | May 5, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Well, I certainly wouldn't want to ignore the advice of the CDC, but the hubbie's away on business (yes, Joe Biden he got on an airplane and is in a meeting with lots of other people. Oh, the horror!)and that's usually when I turn away from beer and towards Ben and Jerry's.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 5, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Wait, so if you admire the work Chelsea did to stifle one of the great attacks of the last decade, your biased?

Desperate defending is negative football? Chelsea should have put 3 forwards in Barca's end just to prove a point (the fact that they would never have gotten the ball notwithstanding)?

Chelsea should do what Real did? It's more honorable to lose by 4 (should have been 6)?

That is serious Crazy talk. Play to win the game. Beat Barca by keeping them off the board. End of.

Posted by: JkR- | May 5, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I still can't figure out who Madrid was missing. Robinho? CRonaldo? :)

Posted by: Reignking | May 5, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Beckham, Figo, and Zidane.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 5, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Real Madrid was missing professional defenders. Sergio Ramos, good as he is, can't be bothered to defend. He should be lauded for his defensive indifference. It's honorable.

Apparently, Chelsea aren't supposed to defend.

Posted by: JkR- | May 5, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Chelsea Cowards and Bus Drivers get destroyed tomorrow. 7-0 would be good.

Posted by: Reignking | May 5, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Yeah a completely uncompetitive blowout would be terrific. What great television! Back to work by 3:15! Fabulous!

Posted by: JkR- | May 5, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Sergio Ramos sucks. Pepe was missing, and yes Christiano Ronaldo was missing.;-)

No Offense forpat, but was that link a joke? How was that informative? Anyways since Goff posted the link to the SE's efforts for the march I'll post the Barra Brava's. It's got all the info I think anyone could need, and despite the call for staying positive and on the point it's filled with the usual BS hilarity. I happy to see that there still should be time to march AND tailgate! Yeeee Haaaw!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 5, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

BigBadBri is right. Chelsea basically employed a hack job. Drogba spent most of the match just beating up Dani Alves. While Alves' histrionics are annoying, Drogba was thugging it out. If Drogba focused at all on scoring, he would have beaten Valdes on that one on one, when he had two opportunities. Chelsea parked the bus and used thuggery to win. It was nowhere near the kind of quality displayed by Vidic in the ManU-Arsenal game, who played great and won. Then again, Arsenal looked awful in that game, so Vidic only had limited work to do. And I'm an arsenal guy. Here's hoping we can pick it up this afternoon.

Posted by: Noodles3 | May 5, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

This sounds like Mexico after another dos a cero. "They didn't play right"

"We tried to play futbol and they didn't"

"We're still better"

The notion that you're playing defensively with Flourent Malouda on the field is an oxymoron.

Posted by: JkR- | May 5, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse