Wednesday Kickaround

With an early flight to Kansas City for tonight's D.C. United match, I will be off the grid for a bit. So for now, I present these offerings:

*My story about United's unsettled goalkeeping situation.

*DCU's Barra Brava makes the Wall Street Journal.

*A few days old, but worth a read: Wizards Coach Curt Onalfo recounts a harrowing drive to the stadium with his family.

*Without starters Jamison Olave (red card), Javier Morales (MLS suspension) and Nick Rimando (finger injury), Real Salt Lake (3-3-0) welcomes the Los Angeles Galaxy (1-1-4) to Rio Tinto tonight (9 p.m. ET, Direct Kick).

*Toronto FC begins the Canadian Championship by hosting USL1 Vancouver at BMO (8 p.m.). The winner of the three-team tournament will earn a berth in the 2009-10 CONCACAF Champions League. USL1 Montreal is the defending champion.

*While DCU defender Bryan Namoff is in Kansas City, his wife, brother and parents will host a United-Wizards viewing party at 18th and Red . For those watching at home, Comcast SportsNet will provide live coverage starting at 8:30 p.m. You can catch me previewing the match on CSN's "SportsNite" show between 8 and 8:30.

For today's complete TV listings, please keep reading.....

*Soccer on TV:
Euro Champions League, Chelsea-Barcelona 2:30 p.m. ESPN2, ESPN Deportes
Euro Champions League, Chelsea-Barcelona (taped) 5 p.m. ESPN Classic
U-17 South America, Colombia-Uruguay 7 p.m. GolTV
MLS, Kansas City-D.C. United 8:30 p.m. Comcast SportsNet
Copa Libertadores, San Martin-Gremio 8:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Euro Champions League, Chelsea-Barcelona (taped) 9 p.m. Setanta
U-17 South America, Ecuador-Bolivia 10 p.m. GolTV

By Steve Goff  |  May 6, 2009; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wambach, Freedom Updates
Next: Poll: D.C. United Will.....

Comments

The car accident didn't seem anywhere near that serious when it was first described on ESPN.

Posted by: sitruc | May 6, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Off the grid, eh? Let me know if you run into Tony Almeida. I have a few things I want to tell him.

Hoping for an Abe Thompson appearance tonight for Kansas City.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 6, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

For the Canuck, competition, I'm really split on how I want that one to go down.

On one hand, you have ex-Puerto Rico Islander and maybe the best modern era player born on Puerto Rican soil, Marco Velez playing with TFC. So I want to see Marco do well as long as (TFC doesn't beat DC United or PR Islanders).

On the other hand, I want to see Montreal Impact (who as an Islanders' fan, I "hate")get back to the competition and out of the group stage so that the USL haterz can hate harder.

Vancouver. Nice team but they are headed to MLS so they are sort of in purgatory. If they win, good for them. I will cheer for them to do well but if they los and don't win it then no biggie...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 6, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Cannuckian teams have a relatively easy path to the Champs League.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 6, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't entirely sure what the focus of the WSJ article was. All of the American stuff was about sitting down in the US for some sports over time, but has Oscar standing but doesn't provide much context. The European standing was centered around England, but the reasons for sitting now weren't fully explored.

Posted by: sitruc | May 6, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

About sitting or standing: A soccer match lasts 2 hours, short enough to stand for the entire match. Baseball 'aint over til it's over'. Throwball can last 3 plus hours. Hockey is so long it has 2 halftimes. I don't think Brits stand because they're Brits; they stand because they're watching soccer.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 6, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I second 9Nine9. Do they stand for cricket?

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 6, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Onalfo should take up NASCAR. Sounds like quite the ride.

Posted by: delantero | May 6, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

They do not stand for cricket. Cricket matches can last three days and break for tea every afternoon.

Posted by: bigbadbri | May 6, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

They too snobby to stand at polo...they have servents stand for them.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 6, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"Do they stand for cricket?"

A real cricket test match takes five days to play. Who can stand for that long. But no, even for the one day matches the fans are mostly seated. It's a genteel, leisurely sport with tea-time for Pete's sake.

British soccer fans: Los que no salta...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 6, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I should read all comments before posting mine. But I like the way you think bigbadbri.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 6, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"Throwball"

Seriously? Can we move beyond the junior high pejoratives if we want to be taken seriously?

Posted by: beach3 | May 6, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Cricket is best watched in a deck (beach) chair - with a cooler of beer beside you. I wish I was in Hove today - or at Lords :-(

But I'll be here in July!...

Posted by: Kev29 | May 6, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beach3
-------------------------------------------
While I find the "throwball" thing to be really corny, as much as soccerhaters bust on soccer, especially on sportsradio and tv, calling American football "throwball" is no huge crime. Just a bit "corny". If that was a crime then I would have a lifetime bid.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 6, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

All right then, someone needs to write a paper on "Correlation between propensity of spectators to stand at sporting events and length of match, number of players in motion at once, and other factors." It sounds like there will be a strong correlation, with cricket/baseball on one end and soccer and, uh, hockey? -- on the other. Other sports should fall predictably along the spectrum. Let's get this published.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 6, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Interesting premise to the standing article, but you can't discuss American views on standing at games without discussing college basketball, particularly ACC basketball where the fans stand the entire game. You can't get perspective just from stitch-ball or pointy-ball.

Posted by: IamAM | May 6, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"Throwball"

Posted by: beach3

Seconded. We no longer have the "first!" issue -- we can defeat this.

Posted by: Reignking | May 6, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

College basketball: Relatively short games; all players in motion at same time; fits perfectly well along the spectrum . . . I'm telling you, people . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 6, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

fallschurch1, your harebrained idea does not take into account the socioeconomic factors implied by the original article and some commenters here. Tennis matches have both players in motion constantly, yet the spectator sit. You must look at the demographics of the crowd along with other factors.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 6, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see the Namoff's building community with viewing parties and fundraisers. Aside from his great year, it's cool to have another vet who has only played here and exemplifies DC United's passion.

Posted by: eadc | May 6, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I can't stand this discussion.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 6, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Down in front!

Posted by: Kev29 | May 6, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

First!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 6, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Seriously though.. the WSJ article sucked. Felt like I was reading Reader's Digest. Boooooooooooooooooorring. What happens when Ultras get too old to stand? Do they start watching the games when they're actually being played? Never mind terraces, can we move toward something even more relaxed than Kev29's preferred cricket watching steez? I'm picturing lying back on a *Barca* lounger with a trusty sherlock bubbler and sippin Mojitos!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 6, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

All tennis fans are boring, especially during Davis Cup and even WTT.

Posted by: sitruc | May 6, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The WSJ's coverage of sports is kind of like the Post's coverage of business -- if it went away who would notice?

Do the Brits stand up for darts?

Posted by: OWNTF | May 6, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Standing and soccer just go together, there is a rhythm to the game that flows naturally to the spectators. Not to say other sports lack rhythm, at skins game its always been sitting for the offense and standing for the defense.

As mentioned previously, there is a finality to soccer. No stoppages of the play clock and no commercial breaks; the perfect spectator sport! I don't know about going to a game and not watching it, like Oscar. I enjoy the atmosphere and appreciate the chanting, drumming and even the beer fountain when we score; but I have to watch. There is nothing like seeing the full field for soccer, the broadcast takes so much away from the game.

As for throwball, for lack of a better term I like it. In no way should american "football" be know as football. Sure the game starts with a kick, but besides that where exactly are all these plays with the feet? Extra points, punts, kick offs and field goals. I think the battle is already over, and we'll have to wait for the english (american) language to take back seat to spanish (or chinese) for it to change. Other options for a name; scrimmage, american rugby, tackle-ball?

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | May 6, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Do the Brits stand up for darts?

Posted by: OWNTF

Pretty much. Darts and football have similar demographics for crowds (well, what used to be the demo for football) - primarily working class. Darts crowds are pretty vocal and usually well lubricated. It can get intense.

I'd say whether crowds stand or not has everything to do with the social and economic conditions in which the matches are taking place. Seating is very bourgeois and middle class :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | May 6, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

sitting isn't allowed in Lane stadium

Posted by: VTUnited | May 6, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

How about American Football? or Gridiron Football?

I think the reason the article doesn't go into the events that banned standing is due to the sensitivity of the issue. Especially with the backlash a certain show has received about a recent anniversary.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 6, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

If folks want to split hairs, I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that think the use of the word *tackle* in soccer is ridiculous. While we turn our noses up and call it the *real football* we use a term that implies handling someone and throwing them to the ground to dispossess the ball. That would technically be a foul right? Just saying...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 6, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand the supposed goalkeeper controversy. Crayton to me looks the stronger guy, and I'm not even sure it's close. Sounds like the "decision" could be about money.

Posted by: JoeS3 | May 6, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Goffer - unless they are watching some vintage Michael Jordan performances with the Wizards, it's probably a United/ Capitals viewing party :)

Speaking of the Wizards and Capitals - it shows how much luck is involved when a team has the number 1 draft pick. The Caps get it once and they are able to select Ovechkin. The Wizards get the #1 in a year of very weak players and get Kwame Brown. Just imagine if it was the year when Lebron was available.

The Namoff family sounds really cool. I already had a lot of respect for the guy, but it just increased some more.

Posted by: diego_r | May 6, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

@Red Devil1: I tend to call it American Football these days. Seems to me the fairest name.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 6, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Did somebody say "sit"?!

"I'll sing myself to sleep
A song from the darkest hour
Secrets I can't keep
Inside of the day
Swing from high to deep
Extremes of sweet and sour
Hope that God exists
I hope I pray

Drawn by the undertow
My life is out of control
I believe this wave will bear my weight
So I'll let it flow

Oh sit down
Sit down next to me
Sit down, down, down, down, down
In sympathy..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 6, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

So - in the never ending search for some sort of public support of stadium financing - I present, the Phoenix Coyotes.

Can't find out in a quick search how much of the Glendale Arena (opened in 2003) was financed by subsidy. Maybe someone can check on this? The article does talk about a lease with the City of Glendale and issues about how Chapter 11 won't help them break the lease to move.

Not a good sign for one of the "Big 4" to reach this situation (then again, not that great of an idea to play hockey in the desert).

March on Saturday? Right?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 6, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

In the US of A football is football and soccer is soccer, why is that so hard? US soccer people can be such dweebs sometimes.

Do you call garages car parks and bathrooms water closets?

Posted by: OWNTF | May 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I call it NFL or College Football

Onalfo's scary-as-hell accident definitely explains the incomprehensible tactics used in that match. KC should have wiped the field with RBNY after they went a man up in minute 2.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | May 6, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

@JoeS3
to make an american football analogy, thats like saying Shaun Hill is your guy over Alex Smith. the point is that neither is going to win you any games.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 6, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EQuintanilla20 | May 6, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Do you call garages car parks...

Posted by: OWNTF | May 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I call it the 'Car hole.'

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 6, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Do you call garages car parks and bathrooms water closets?

Posted by: OWNTF | May 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse
=================

In Minnesota they call parking garages "ramps". Took me a while to figure that. Oh yeah, they also say "pop" instead of "soda" or "coke."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 6, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: diego_r | May 6, 2009 11:46 AM

Doode lay off the weed, United is playing the Wizards, hence the name: United-Wizards viewing party.

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 6, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | May 6, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse
==================

Best explanation I've heard so far.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 6, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else out there starting feel a little bit feverish?

I think I may have bumped into some fellow Insiders at that International Greased Pig Wrestling Invitational I attended in Mexico City over the weekend. It sucked that they enforced that new rule requiring us to give mouth to mouth resuscitation if we knocked to wind out of our opponent but it was for the safety of the pigs.

At least this stuff, while probably contagious, doesn't seem too deadly. While I'm not a real doctor, I think a few hours this afternoon in a comfortable place with some cold refreshments should go a long way in helping regain anyone's wellness.

Might have to tune in to some ESPN2 for the latest medical advice, too.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 6, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Pointythrowball.

neener neener! :)

Seriously, the term I use for The Beautiful Game depends a lot on my audience -- for non-North Americans it's "football" vs. "gridiron" (or "American football"), for North Americans, it's "soccer" and "football."

Don't get me started on the Aussies, though. :) ("footy"/"soccer"/"gridiron")

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 6, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

...or, in a more general sense, if one of my non-North American Facebook friends asks me what I'm up to, I'll tell them "Just watching American sports" -- which for me pretty much covers the whole shebang: baseball, pointythrowball, basketball, football/soccer, hockey, NASCAR, golf, tennis, etc. etc.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 6, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@Joel_M_Lane: If you are feeling feverish, do not go to work. The President himself said so.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 6, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

It's clear we should stand so that our bladders can hold more beer.

Sitting crunches the abdomen and makes us feel the need to go pee.

Posted by: delantero | May 6, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

don't you mean pee-pee?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 6, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

That makes So much sense! I am really floored by the plebs v royalty effect on English Football.

GO UNITED!!

Down with smothering the quality of the Champions League! Down with Chelsea!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 6, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

@VirginiaBlueBlood: Jobing.com Arena cost $220M, the city of Glendale chipped in $180M. At least that's what this piece says:

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 6, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse