Franklin, Oduro, Open Cup, ESPN

*Los Angeles Galaxy defender Sean Franklin, MLS's rookie of the year in 2008, will be sidelined four to six months after undergoing surgery to repair a torn hamstring tendon. He played in eight of the club's first nine games before suffering the injury May 17 against Columbus.

*The New York Red Bulls traded forward Dominic Oduro, in his first year with the club after playing with Dallas, to Houston for a first-round draft pick in 2010 and a second-rounder in 2011. Oduro made three league appearances. New York also waived reserve goalkeeper Terry Boss. "This deal provides our club with more options and roster flexibility," Sporting Director Jeff Agoos said of the trade.

*The groups are set for the first two rounds of the U.S. Open Cup, and if geographic considerations go into play in the round of 16, D.C. United might play the USL2's Real Maryland or Crystal Palace Baltimore on June 30. For the complete calendar, click here.

*ESPN announced that all Confederations Cup matches will be shown in high definition on either ESPN or ESPN2. Four games -- USA-Italy, Italy-Brazil and both semifinals -- will appear on ESPN. On a side note, not only did ESPN show today's Champions League final live and in HD (with replays on ESPN Classic and ESPN2 today), "SportsCenter" devoted the first seven minutes of its 6 p.m. ET broadcast to highlights and analysis and the "Pardon the Interruption" lads, Wilbon and Kornheiser, talked about the match for a moment.

By Steve Goff  |  May 27, 2009; 7:53 PM ET
Categories:  MLS , TV , U.S. Open Cup , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Best Player in Final
Next: Thursday Kickaround

Comments

And all this Sports Center goodness just as I replied to an ESPN survey in which I seldom watched Sports Center because of the dearth of soccer coverage on it and my consequent travel to other outlets for my sports news.

I did write, however, that it was getting better.

Interestingly, I while searching for ESPN Classic for the tape delay of the game I stumbled across Sports Center and realized that there was a spoiler in the making...so quickly moved on.

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 27, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

A first and a second for Oduro?

Oy.

Posted by: writered21 | May 27, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

writered21:

Don't forget that Oduro already got Dave Van den Bergh for Dallas. It seems that, wherever he goes, the cost is comically high. Kamara is the more complete player to compliment Ching, though I do see Kinnear getting more out of Oduro than Osorio did.

***

I saw the PTI thing while at dinner. I'm guessing the only reason you'd have Wilbon (who doesn't hate soccer and actually knows some things about it, but is also not exactly a diehard fan) and Kornheiser (who makes no bones about disliking the sport and its fans) talk about the CL final is because you don't want soccer fans moaning about a lack of coverage. What they don't know is that we'll just complain about the coverage we get. You can't stop us!

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 27, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Well put Chest.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 27, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else happy that we actually get to see the Confed Cup, because I for one was Not sure. I thought my horrible internet connection would once more prove a menace to my USMNT watching capacity.

I also hope that someone picks up the goldcup. Although, honestly, if Adu makes the Confed cup, I will lose some interest.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 27, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I remember the ESPN ombudsman addressing claims that the channel took more seriously those sports that were in its stable of properties. Specifically, NHL fans were alleging that since their league left ESPN and the Galaxy signed Beckham the channel supposedly took MLS more seriously than the NHL.

The ombudsman specifically cited PTI as evidence that just because coverage had gone up doesn't mean it's respectful coverage. :-)

That said, there's no denying ESPN took last year's Euro2008 tourney and this year's Champions League Final with respect, and at least as much knowledge as it could muster, all this being new to them. In that way, it's a shame they are now losing the CL to Fox.

But as shown by the Confed Cup line-up, they may be responding by putting more effort into their other properties, which could be a win-win if Fox ups the ante with its CL coverage.

Posted by: stancollins | May 27, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

"Pardon the Interruption" why would they have to say that? That alone is an insult. I am really glad fox got the rights honestly. I will stop complaining when they reach the level of coverage at least to the CNN international level.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 27, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Dom for a 1st and 2nd - Wow-wee!

I didn't realize that the definition of lads was curmudgeon

Posted by: J_S_F | May 27, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

It does seem a bit ridiculous in that Oduro was a 2nd rounder himself...and was rotting on the NY bench. I'm sure the Dynamo could have gotten him for less, but they're really overrating him. Next year, they're going to wish they had that 1st round pick. Maybe the league forced them to help out the Bulls in advance of the new stadium opening next year.

Posted by: fischy | May 27, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I've got no love for LA, but that sounds awful for Franklin. That couldnt' have felt nice.

Good news on the Confed Cup coverage. I hope that we can see more and more "free football". I'm plotting and scheming now, how to increase my tiny income so I can watch CL next edition. Hoping that Fox spreads the games around it's network in a smart way. Please no that 70's show re-runs when there will surely be plenty of better things to watch...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 27, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

But... but... but... ESPN HATES SOCCER!!!

Posted by: mercedeskk | May 27, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

ESPN loves the USMNT.

They hate MLS, and who wouldn't? They're lukewarm on European football, and have no time for anything south of the border.

I think it has something to do with ratings and advertising dollars. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Posted by: fischy | May 27, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

And let's not bemoan football coverage, etc, most TV and print media in this country don't get it if it's not fed to them by higher ups . . .

Rupert Murdoch, the arch conservative owner of multimedia outlets worldwide and provider of FOX News and FOX Soccer Channel does get it and will be charging you for it next year!

. . . much to my chagrin, I may have to order the channel . . it's like a NOVA native finding himself supporting Marion Barry in pursuit of a soccer stadium . . .

Posted by: delantero | May 28, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Why have an NBA Channel when you can just watch ESPN?
Wow, some coverage of a game they televised and promoted in the Mag, on-line and on all their TV outlets?? Really??Soccer fans don't need ESPN.....
For some great coverage of soccer, here and everywhere, visit the Soccer Insider....at a website near you EVERY day.

Posted by: googlio | May 28, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

One burning question which remains unanswered is:

Why is the Champions League Anthem sung in a lower key in the Heineken commercials?

Posted by: Ron16 | May 28, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

That's great news about the Confederations Cup -- I'll watch as much as possible.

Just toss the American commentators out the door ... give me Adrian Healey and Tommy Smyth, please, and I'll be in futbol heaven.

Posted by: Cerealman | May 28, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

I would make fun of "Middlefield Cheese Stadium," but at least those guys have a stadium...

Posted by: Senor_Funk | May 28, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I recall wilbon saying once that the one big sporting event he had yet to cover, that he wanted to, was a world cup. He's a good sports guy, and at least appreciates the game.

And messi is on the cover of espn magazine, good story. I love the part were he's sitting in the cafeteria in Beijing and hears 'Hola, lionel, soy Kobe'.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | May 28, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon covered the Diplomats and NASL for a spell in the early '80s. I thought he did a perfectly respectable job of it.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 28, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of injuries Frankie Hejduk is going to miss at least the Costa Rica game with a strained groin. Also I read that Nowak is going to be the new coach of our newest rival Philly. I already hate them.

Posted by: no_recess | May 28, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Tommy Smyth?! Arrgghhh! Those two sucked yesterday. Badmouthing players and eating their words at the end of it all. Wished I had ESPN Deportes. I would have watched there.

Saw that thing about Novak on SBI as well no_recess. That should be interesting for DCU fans.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 28, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"Maybe the league forced them to help out the Bulls in advance of the new stadium opening next year."

You're better than that, fischy.

Houston never really rates the draft. There's your simple, sane explanation.

It's starting to make the Van Den Burgh trade sting less. NY originally traded a 3rd round supplemental pick for VDB, which was the steal of all time. Then they gave him up for Oduro and two draft picks. One of those draft picks was on a player who is looking abroad first (Babajide Ogunbiyi, who may be back, who knows), the other on Hall, who is one of the few excellent performers in this crummy season. Now you can add a 1st and 2nd rounder, assuming NY uses it well.

So practically speaking, it was 3rd round supplemental + Van Den Burgh + Oduro for Hall, the rights to Ogunbiyi, and 1st and 2nd round picks. Not great, but not terrible.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | May 28, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Isn't the ESPN ombudsman former Post editor (and my fellow Gator) George Solomon, who, in 1994, sowed the seed of WC coverage that we now enjoy from this newspaper? If so, his stance on soccer coverage is not surprising.

From Wilbon's chat yesterday.

Euro's Nob, Va.: Hi Mike,

Just wondering if you plan to watch the UEFA Champions League final between Manchester United and Barcelona. It's the last time the final will be contested on a Wednesday (next year it'll be held on a Saturday).

How big of a deal do you think a Saturday game will be next year for us Gringos?

Michael Wilbon: Hi everybody...I'm here in Bristol at the Mothership, in and out for the last two weeks for the NBA playoffs, working the Western Conference finals pre-game shows from the ESPN studios and traveling on some off days to the Eastern Conference finals in either Orlando (last night) or Cleveland. It's Heaven for pro basketball junkies, and I'm a card-carrying member of that group.

But yes, I'm going to take some time to watch the UEFA Cup this afternoon, which begins in about 90 minutes. You've got almost certainly the two greatest players in the world today, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, playing against each other. It's a world event and I hope Americans not normally given to watching soccer will do so today ...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Boss will hopefully get a look from another MLS club soon. New York is desperate to create roster spaces for the tinkerer, EL Gran Tecnico...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 28, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse