Friday Kickaround

"With the Washington Capitals having exited the NHL playoffs, the District's sporting stage belongs entirely to Zimmerman and the Nationals."

Yup, that line appeared in this morning's Washington Post.

"Entirely"?

The same story reports that Nats attendance is down a staggering 35 percent over this point last MLB season. Like most pro sports teams and events in a sour economy, D.C. United's numbers are down as well. But let the record show that the Nats are averaging 19,409 while United is at 14,561. The Nats' low at their shiny, not-so-happy ballpark is 12,473; United's low at the Wreck on the Banks of the Mighty Anacostia is 12,594 (league play only).

I'm not going to argue that United is more popular among casual sports fans than the Nats; they're not. But whether you're a fan of DCU, like soccer or hate it, you have to acknowledge the fact that another summertime team exists in this city besides the Nationals, one that has been around town a lot longer and has consistently drawn well in a sport that has traditionally struggled to attract an audience on the professional level.

Just a grumpy, early-morning observation.....

On a cheerier note, you'll be able to read my profile of DCU defender Dejan Jakovic later today or tonight now on washingtonpost.com and in tomorrow's print edition. At your leisure, you can also take an early look at the mini-preview of the Washington Freedom's match at Boston on Sunday.

I'm off to Los Angeles today. I'll post the Weekend TV Listings soon and, if there's any breaking news, rejoin you from SoCal this evening. Cheers!

By Steve Goff  |  May 15, 2009; 7:29 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mason Nation
Next: Video: Copa Libertadores

Comments

At least the byline read:

The Nationals' lagging performance on the field is reflected at the gate, with attendance at Nationals Park down 35 percent in its second year, the biggest decline in baseball.

Posted by: Reignking | May 15, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

I read the Post this morning, but I missed that article since I don't read about Caps or Nats. I'm not hating on those teams or sports; I'm just indifferent to them.

Now Steve, I know you don't like it when people criticize your colleagues or -- worse -- jump all over you because of what they wrote, but isn't that line a pretty poor example for both the journalist and the editor?

Ah well, have fun in LA.

Posted by: troy6 | May 15, 2009 7:45 AM | Report abuse

@troy6:

I wouldn't worry; with that opening quote Goff is inviting the discussion -- the use of quotes around the word entirely in the third line focuses the discussion.

So, how about a complaint to the ombudsman about the article?? It wouldn't be the most serious thing the ombudsman had to consider; but it sure wouldn't be the most frivolous.

Posted by: Curious99 | May 15, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't complain; Sheinin is a good writer. I feel sorry that he has had to write about the O's, and then the Nats.

Posted by: Reignking | May 15, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

=====
and All this even 100% biased effort from every single media, dirty politicians in the DC metro area by ignoring United and mentioning about nats on buses, metro, radio, tv news, metro intercom, still they suck like anacostia river. Thanks goodness we have Goff and some folks from other news papers who write and inform us about United.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 15, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Marc Fisher probably read that line and had an orgasm over the omission of DC United.

Posted by: lawrenceterp | May 15, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

On a perhaps unrelated note - good to hear you on WSD yesterday, Senor Goff. I hope they invite you back.

Cohen has a pretty strong history of talking trash about MLS, or at the very least highlighting its faults while completely ignoring its positives, so I was glad to hear a solid chunk of airtime devoted to DC United and MLS in general that didn't devolve into "MLS stinks and will always stink and I'll tell you why..." Well done!

Posted by: VercengetorixII | May 15, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Yank Abroad Jose Francisco Torres scored in Pachuca's game last night. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/05/14/mexico.roundup.ap/index.html

Posted by: lrg1231 | May 15, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Contract the Nationals.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 15, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Also,

Future story or post for you, Steve, who declined invites to SuperLiga (I assume it had to include some from the group of: Pachuca, Chivas, America, Cruz Azul, and Pumas)

What's FMF going to do without its ties to CONMEBOL?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 15, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

That caught my attention as well!

I have had season tickets to Capitals Hockey in the past, but with kids doing multiple sports we dropped them.

We have attended many other sporting events in the Nation's capital, but right now our sole attention is directed towards the only team that has consistently won Championships in recent memory, i.e. DC United! (we don't even go to restaurants in the district anymore)

The dynosaurs need to realize that they are renmants from another era...

Posted by: Barracudas | May 15, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

*The aggressive incompetence of the Lerners diminishes whatever vanishing likelihood there is that DC will do anything to accomodate United. Once bitten etc.

*FSC 6pm Sunday game will feature the two best (healthy) players in the league so far this season -- Sonia of Freedom and Kelly Smith of Boston.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 15, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Can't get no respect i tell ya, just can't get no respect...

Posted by: JB252 | May 15, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

To use a little analogy -
Goff:Blog Commenters as DCU Ownership:DC Fans Marching Last Week.

In other words, while we can (and do) moan about the situation, Goff is the one actually in the newsroom to voice objections to ignorant lines like that in the Nats article. And for all the fan support and marching, it's the owners who are going to have to pony up for the stadium one way or another, regardless if the march had 500 of 500,000 marchers.

Posted by: M__N | May 15, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

WPS league average attendance so far is reported by Soccer America as 5,380 per game.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 15, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"...you have to acknowledge the fact that another summertime team exists in this city besides the Nationals, one that has been around town a lot longer and has consistently drawn well in a sport that has traditionally struggled to attract an audience on the professional level."

A few thoughts qucikly come to mind:

1) How DARE they disrespect the MYSTICS?!?! More chauvinism and disrespct for women's sports--YET AGAIN. ;)

2) At least DC United PAYS it's freaking rent. And that is while playing in a relic of a stadium. A dinosaur.

3) Hey, the United Team President doesn't even have to go on radio in a "rival" market, and invite (more like "beg") an opposing teams fans to attend OPENING DAY at a NEW (albiet it "UNFINISHED" and therefor "SUBSTANDARD" ballpark).

I like the Nats (after my O's). I like almsot pro every sports team in the area. I'm a "homer" like that. Heck, I'll watch DC pro indoor football for a few minutes on the idiot box and the Washington Kastles, too. But maybe some of the press around here needs to remember that DC United was outdrawing the Washington Capitals before the team's recent Phoenix (and I don't mean Coyotes) like resurrection...

Go Mystics!!! (Now if only they could please hang a banner for something other than attendance (which has fallen off because-shocker, people get tired of the coaching carousel and seeing the LOSE)

Posted by: yankiboy | May 15, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

"Goff, you have more power to speak up to the editors directly (or give Fischer an atomic wedgie) than all of us combined. Why not use it?"

Posted by: M__N
-------------------------------------------
Whoah, Nelly!?!?

We were talking about comments from Fischer?!?!

Why didn't yall tell me that?!?!

As far as I am concerned that elitist-passing himself off as a populist doesn't exist.

But what do I know? I'm just a Brutha livin' in PG who's apathy would pretty much eliminate me from ever going to a soccer Stadium here if we ever built one. Especially with my Hispanic wife being so reluctant to attend a soccer match, here.

SF is the best...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 15, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: M__N

Because he likes his job?

Posted by: Reignking | May 15, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, uhhh, that was kind of annoying. I mean, I'm not a huge hockey guy, but I'm not comepletely ignoring it. I watch the highlights on sportscenter, know the big names, and can handle my own talking about it. That's all I ask for any sports team in an area with one. I know two players on the Atlanta Dream for goodness sakes. Normally I don't whine and cry for making people give everyone the same amount of time and all that, but at least make mention of a professional sports team in a top 5 sports league.

That said, enjoy LA.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 15, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Typical BS from the Post again (sorry Goff). I mean, I have to read that trash this morning right after getting to the oped section of the front page and having to see half of the articles written by neocons. Goff, you are the only reason I still pay attention to the Post these days.

And let's not forget the 19,409 the idiot author cites and what a load of garbage it is (yes, I know, its PAID attendance...yadayadayada). Just look at the picture in the Sports Page and you can come to your own conclusion. I think FC Dallas draws more than the Nats.

Posted by: Hoost | May 15, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

@lawerenceterp: I wish you hadn't gone there... I'm cleaning vomit off of the computer desk...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 15, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I sent a note to the writer of the article, he wrote back! He said that he should have qualified that he was talking about "the four major sports." sigh

Posted by: lrg1231 | May 15, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

@ Goff: never mind your schmucks for co-workers. How many sports writers in the Post REALLY have a nationwide following, not to mention a flight out to Cali for the weekend? Enjoy your trip and rest assured there are plenty of people who appreciate your excellent coverage of DCU.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 15, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

The United are averaging 13,000 per game this year, 2/3s of the Nats average, and the United play once a week. The 12,473 attendance game for the Nats was on a cold Monday night, the game started two hours late due to rain and was interupted by rain. Predict the attendance when the United play on a Monday, during a nine game in ten day home stand, when the game is going to finish in the middle of the night if at all. I'd say 2,000.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 15, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I wish the Glory hadn't folded.

Posted by: sitruc | May 15, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I try not to freak out about these things - and I'm not a DC baseball hater. But that's a horsesh*t line from Sheinin.

And it's not even just the soccer side of it. I bet the NCAA lacrosse quarterfinals in Annapolis outdraw the Nationals on Sunday.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 15, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

The United are averaging 13,000 per game...

Posted by: PowerBoater69

Please STFU

Posted by: Kev29 | May 15, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

There was another instance of the Post ignoring United, I think it was about MVPs. Again the writer (was it Wise?) did an unconvincing job of retroactively qualifying his statement as being about "the four major sports."

I take solace in the fact that we have Steve Goff, an understanding our sport's place in the world, and a lot of smart, cultured readers.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 15, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Entirely inaccurate would be a more accurate statement.

The attention is only on Zimmerman and his hit streak. Few people care about the Nats.

If United got as much free press coverage on TV, radio, and paper as baseball, we'd be pushing 20 K. As it stands, we're lucky to get a score mentioned by old school TV schmucks.

Posted by: delantero | May 15, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Why is hockey considered a major sport in this country? I'm not a hockey fan but I don't have anything against the sport. I enjoyed the Capitals playoff run. It just seems weird that anyone considers hockey a major sport in this country. Hockey is just as niche as soccer.

Posted by: Solnoir | May 15, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

The Atlanta Dream?

What are Georgia's chances for an MLS team, Alex?

Posted by: Reignking | May 15, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Hurray! The PowerBoater69 is back! Hopefully he 'the' will share 'the' some of 'the' his pithy 'the' insights into how 'the' United 'the' sucks and why 'the' they don't 'the' deserve 'the' their own 'the' stadium. Seriously dude, minor league soccer? You are the troll to end all trolls.

Posted by: jburksva | May 15, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

DCU is averaging 14,561 through five league games this season. (Counting an Open Cup game is like counting a Nats-Orioles game the day before the season started.)

Last year, United averaged 19,835.

Over their first 13 seasons, they have averaged 17,652.

These are the facts.

Carry on.....

Posted by: Steve Goff | May 15, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I would not be surprised if United has a higher average attendance than the Nats by the end of the year.

In any case, the writer's comment about "four major sports" may be justified in some other US markets, but not DC.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | May 15, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Steve: thoughts on Fenty's Washington Post Live comments regarding the feasibility of a United deal with the city - specifically at Poplar Point?

Something there or more "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"s?

Posted by: Kev29 | May 15, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Everyone reports PAID attendance...yes, even United (you think those premium level tickets that you can buy from the supporters groups aren't already counted as sold...and present and accounted for?). While I wish real attendance at United games was higher, I think it's great that the numbers are pretty nice in comparison to other sports in DC.

I know it was hyperbole on your part, but I would bet you my entire year's salary that the Nationals outdraw FC Dallas...even just counting those present (unless it's raining).

Posted by: combedge | May 15, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

C'mon, SG. You know that old saw - there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. MotorBoater69 is gonna quote the number that bolsters his weak, weak argument. That DCU is even an order of magnitude within the Nats' attendance numbers without any significant local media coverage or national league exposure is a small miracle. To actually be BEATING them is a testament to the hardcore fanbase the team has. Sure would be nice if someone in local government somewhere would be visionary enough to recognize that.

Posted by: jburksva | May 15, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

This new movie that is sort of about football got a lukewarm review in the Post:

The note at the end says that it contains "pervasive language." So I guess it is not a silent film.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 15, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

These are the facts.
Carry on.....
Posted by: Steve Goff
===========
Never let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 15, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Yesterday I upped my two DC United half-season packages to two full season packages, so for some reason I felt ok reading that annoying line.

On Sat we had a large group for a bday tailgate with lots of newcomers...they loved the game and the atmosphere. And we all went to the rally.

Nats stadium atmosphere? Fail.

Posted by: mbetka23 | May 15, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Oh, my last part was directed at Hoost's post.

One more thing - it's comparing apples to oranges to compare attendance numbers for baseball to soccer. Baseball teams play several days in a row, sometimes for weeks in a row. Whereas MLS clubs play generally once a week...and sometimes not in consecutive weeks.

I'm a fan of both teams - moreso United. But to hate on the Nationals is ridiculous. Sure, the DC government is gunshy about helping United out with its pursuit of a stadium site in large part because of the Nationals Park experience, but some of that is due to the voice of ignorant constituents.

Posted by: combedge | May 15, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

If in fact the attendance figures for United are affected by the state of the economy, are the radio and TV ratings holding up, or even increasing?

Posted by: universityandpark | May 15, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"the Wreck on the Banks of the Mighty Anacostia"

in my opinion in terms of a soccer stadium RFK is as good if not better than most all of the other "soccer specific stadiums" in the US. The stadiums built out in the suburbs with no seats/fans behind the goal are completely awful and lifeless. I don't want gold plated urinals and PA systems blaring stupid music. Bouncing stands and soul are what's important. RFK in DC has that...

Posted by: GraciasRiquelme | May 15, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Hey PowerBoater! I think I'm going to the Nats game on the 24th. Great seats, I'd bet a dollar that they're better than yours. Where will you be sitting, I've got something for you.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 15, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I was kidding about FC Dallas drawing more. My point is that they don't get anywhere close to 19K per game. Second year in a new stadium and their attendance has dropped 35%. Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

Posted by: Hoost | May 15, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "facts"? In 2008, the Nats sold 2,320,400 tickets. How many did DC United sell? And the Nats bleau.

If only the Washington media and politicians and citizens were smarter and more "visionary", then I'm sure DC United would draw 30,000 per game and already be playing in a brand new stadium.

And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his a&s . . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | May 15, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

The chances of an Atlanta MLS team seem to be as good as Unlce Arthur wants them to be.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 15, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

The United have sold ~73K and the Nats have sold ~233K, any you can just imagine the difference in the numbers if the Nats and United swapped places in the standings. If the hated Plan ever kicks in, the Nats Park will be plenty full.

DadRyan: I'll be at the ballpark on the 19th and 22nd, your seats are surely better than mine, you'd have to be crazy to buy expensive seats to see the Nats.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 15, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"Second year in a new stadium and their attendance has dropped 35%. Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic."

my opinion is look at where FC Dallas's stadium is located and what the stadium actually looks like?? it makes complete sense that their attendance would drop to me...

Posted by: GraciasRiquelme | May 15, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | May 15, 2009 8:55 AM
_________________________________________

That's nice. Now can anyone recommend a good place to watch this match, for the FSC-deprived among us? So far I've gone to affairs that were organized either by the club or its supporters group at Cap Lounge (very nice) and Kitty O'Shea's (not so great).

Also, Soccer America and the NYT report that NBC's Universal Sports channel will be showing a couple of WPS games, perhaps with more to follow. Does anyone get this channel?

Posted by: universityandpark | May 15, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

lack of editing...

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | May 15, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

You know, the Redskins only sell 700,000 tickets a year. The Nationals must be a better and more worthy franchise than the Skins, by this metric.

Posted by: the_slammer | May 15, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

P.S. Did anyone else notice The PowerBoater's slipup?

"if the Nats and United swapped places"

Posted by: the_slammer | May 15, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Jacob: what are the Dream, seriously? Is that what they went with for WPS?

Posted by: Reignking | May 15, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

No need to get all argy bargy with The Powerboater. Just give him 'The Shun'...

Posted by: JkR- | May 15, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

i said it before, and i'll say it again: the nationals will essentially be gone (i.e., attendance

Posted by: dfunkt | May 15, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Can we talk about tomorrow instead?
Did the team make it LA yet? Who made the flight? Can Olsen warm up enough even to play one half (preferably the 2nd half so he can field marshal the team into not slacking).

It's going to be a slower year for attendance for all sports. We'll hopefully get bumps in the weeks following qualifiers, and after the Real game, and maybe by the end of the year when the team is tearing it up.

Posted by: eadc | May 15, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: the_slammer | May 15, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

========================

Forbes values the Redskins at $1.5 billion. What is the value of the Nats? What is the most valuable franchise in MLS? I don't know, but I'd bet with the dough it would cost to buy the NHL Coyotes one could buy 3 MLS expansion teams and have money left over.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 15, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

No, the Dream are the WNBA team.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 15, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@OWNTF

No one is making the argument that DCU is worth anything monetarily near the Nats or the Skins. Just that gross ticket sales isn't the only way to measure a team's popularity.

As for this weekend, it'll be interesting to find out who actually traveled...the way that Chivas plays, this is a game where we probably need Benny to step in and be an enforcer. Hopefully Esky doesn't continue his trend of scoring against us (Toronto, Chivas last year..)

Posted by: the_slammer | May 15, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Nats are a joke.

Posted by: Pedalada | May 15, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Some days you pine for the incredible insights of why not 1970. There must have been something going on in 1969 and 1970 -- these people are miserable.

Posted by: diego_r | May 15, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: diego_r | May 15, 2009 10:49 AM

Bear witness to the power of the shunning

Posted by: JkR- | May 15, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Baseball is a joke and boring as hell, theres not much more to say.

Posted by: francisco_11 | May 15, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Powerboater, you're just making yourself look ridiculous here with your positions.

1. Everyone, please go back and re-read Steve Goff's original position. He's not arguing DCU is equal to baseball (ie: the Nats). He's not arguing DCU is better. He's simply saying that when DCU averages more per game than do the Nationals, it's not realistic or accurate to say that the Nats are the only summer sports team in town. Ditto with the Mystics.

2. Powerboater, "if the Nats and DCU switched places"????? Umm...Last year DCU didn't make the playoffs and finished very poorly. And still drew well.

3. Comparing total overall attendence--again, that would imply that there is no interest in the Caps, that the Mystics have a less fanatical fanbase than the Wizards and that this is a baseball town with NFL football a clear second. Yet Shenin quotes a variety of people in his article (objective sports analysts from outside the area) saying that "DC is not a baseball town." What's your point--that baseball is a smashing success here in DC? Or is it just to bash soccer? The problem with total attendance is that it's comparing apples to oranges--a team with 7-8 home games versus one with 15 versus one with 40 versus one with 80.

I don't attend hockey matches. But I'm glad the Caps did well, I don't slam my friends who have Caps season-ticket and I'm glad "the town" has another team that generates some excitement.

Goff NEVER said that DCU has more interest with fans than baseball--he explicitly said the opposite in terms of casual fans. I hope that ALL Washington teams win and draw fans. The ONLY thing I begrudge the Nationals about is how DC's experience with their beautiful stadium has poisoned the environment for other organizations so any public involvement (even just providing land and infrastructure) is now toxic--otherwise I wish the Nats were a good team, winning games and drawing fans. Why can't you be the same?

Posted by: JoeW1 | May 15, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

No, the Dream are the WNBA team.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish
------------------------------------------
That's right. And God Bless them. They are about the only thing that God has offered us Mystics fans to keep us from having the #1 Scrub-ette WNBA team.

But we are still working on it...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 15, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

JoeW1-Make like Talking Heads circa 1984 and Stop Making Sense...

Come to think of it, some of the lyrics to Once In A Lifetime fit very well for the Lerners-DC City Council-Nats situation...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 15, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Typical from the media - thank you for not being typical...

DC United is clearly the most successful team in the Nation's Capital, and it's sad that they can't seem to get a stadium deal done.

What else would attract people to Poplar Point, from outside the immediate area? Soccer would bring an average of 15k people - almost entirely from outside DC proper - to Poplar Point on a bi-weekly basis. That is a major economic boost! And, the PG Council shows how much of a mess they are by courting the team, running promotional events, and then backing out when it comes to voting.

This is the stuff that makes people hate politicians!

VAMOS UNITED!

Posted by: usee360 | May 15, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

But we are still working on it...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 15, 2009 11:34 AM
---------------

Well, until we get Atlanta-ish product Maya Moore in a couple of years or so.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 15, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Props to JoeW1 summary...precisely put!

Powerboater: "...the Nats was on a cold Monday night, the game started two hours late due to rain and was interupted by rain..."

BTW...Real outdoor sports don't run inside on account of a little rain!

Vamos United

Posted by: dayface | May 15, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Now REMEMBER dayface...

We don't talk to or about our latest troll Powerboater, and look out for his sockpuppet as well. Not the stiff one in the bottom of his wank-closet either.

How about making the march more often? Let's start the next one at the Nats stadium.

Posted by: lprevolution | May 15, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Now dayface: be fair. I recall a game last year delayed because of rain (ok, it was a deluge where you couldn't see the pitch from the tenth row, but still)

Posted by: joshuaostevens | May 15, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Goff -- you're comparing apples to oranges, right now. You can't extrapolate from United's season average last year. You need to compare the current average with the team's average last year in games prior to Memorial Day. That would be a meaningful comparison.

Posted by: fischy | May 15, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@THEPB69: YOu think I PAY for Nat's tickets? Brother in law has got the corporate hook-up, I just come along for the ride. Too bad we'll miss each other.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 15, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Start a march from Nat's Park? How about a bike ride? No one may see us, but the trail takes us right to lot 8!

I do think that one march per month would be cool. Someone take a smart look at the calender and line it up. Kind of like a monthly *Club Ride* if you will. I promise I'll bring my wheels next time. If we could get the rest of the summer's march dates lined up now, chances are we could build a lot of momentum and possibly see increasing numbers every month. I'm sure there are a lot of folks who would do it again, and even more folks who wished they'd made the last one ready to go. We need to keep building on what has already been done.
Vamos United!!!

Hey! Who's inviting me over to watch the game on Saturday night?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 15, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Hi Yankiboy,

I couldn’t agree more. There is so much more than the Nationals on the DC sports scene this summer. I know I’ll be at 11th and H this July to watch the Washington Kastles too.(My hope is to see Serena).

Posted by: ktyoung | May 15, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

=====

The supporters will be back at Kitty O'Shea's, for what it's worth. I thought about looking into alternatives, but there's only one more televised away game after this one, so it didn't seem to be worth the trouble.

Posted by: kevinwparker | May 15, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

No one should be surprised by the Nats' poor ticket sales. Their TV and radio audiences last year were tiny, so it was clear then that there was little interest in the team, even though 30K were coming to look at the stadium.

No one should be surprised at the lack of interest in the Nats. History has proved that Washington is a lousy baseball town. George Santayana: “Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” DC is repeating it. Again.

Why does this matter to DC United? Because the District government now knows that it made a terrible mistake, a $610M mistake. It won't finance another stadium until the Nats stadium bonds are paid off, the Nats are long gone, and their memory has faded away. Maybe in 2031.

Posted by: aardvark63 | May 15, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

By Steve Goff | May 15, 2009; 7:29 AM ET

Steve-

Does the editor of the sports page ever read what is being written? The way The Post bends over for The D*strict's baseball team and consistantly gives the short shrift to United is offensive to me. It's the kind of thing that will make me drop my subscription. I'll certainly be sending him and Mr. Sheinin my 2 cents worth shortly.

Also, there's a second last place baseball team just as far away from me as the N*ts. After several generations of people have grown up exclusively with the O's, The Post has all but abandoned those fans as well.

The Mystics have a few "Attendance Champion" banners hanging from their ceiling as well.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 15, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff: do you have staff meetings where you can call out your fellow reporters in front of their editors over igorant reporting like that stupid Nats comment? It's crap reporting like that which is pushing me to cancel my WaPo subscription.

Posted by: roadkit | May 16, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Thank god Goff isn't as whiney as a lot of DCU fans threatening to cancel their stupid paper subscriptions... Seriously, email the editor about the pathetic ignorance of these writers and stop hassling Goff and asking him if he goes to work and tries to get himself fired.

I touched on it before, that while the dorks try to make them selves look hella "Sporty" and lamenting the Caps forgetting to show up for Game 7, Goff is on a plane, chilin in Cali, and hopefully enjoying the ride. Vamos Goff! Vamos United!

Who loves and respects their workplace as a whole anyway?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 16, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse