Friday Kickaround

I am off to Central America for a mini-vacation with the family before rejoining you from Costa Rica for the buildup to the USA-Ticos World Cup qualifier Wednesday. In my absence, Post colleague Paul Tenorio will oversee most of the D.C. United and Freedom coverage while New England-based ace Kyle McCarthy will handle tomorrow's MLS match report from Foxborough. Stay thirsty, my friends.

*The full story on the DCU-Real Madrid friendly.

*Peter Nowak abruptly bolted United in late 2006 to take a job with the USA national team and oversee the Olympic effort. This week, just one year before the World Cup, he exited Bob Bradley's staff to take the top coaching position with Philadelphia Union, which enters MLS next spring. Read John Smallwood's column in the Philly Daily News.

*Americans Abroad: MF Jose Francisco Torres played 90 minutes in Pachuca's 1-0 loss at Pumas in the first leg of the Mexican finals. Game 2 is Sunday.

*Never mind La Liga: Real Madrid's new-old president is clearly rebuilding his club in time for the United friendly.

*Cambuur, with American-born general manager Alex Pama, settled for a 0-0 tie at home against Roda in the first game of their Eredivise promotion series.

*Local USL2 derby tonight (7:30): Real Maryland (3-2-0) vs. Crystal Palace Baltimore (3-3-3) at UMBC Stadium in Catonsville. On Sunday, Real will host Harrisburg (4-1-1) at 4 p.m. in Rockville.

*Match of the Day: In the Paraguayan league, 2 de Mayo is playing 3 de Febrero today. 12 de Octubre is off.

Chivas USA-Chicago video and some good causes in the soccer community on the continuation of this thread.....

*Before we get to last night's MLS match, three good causes you should know about:

-- The first D.C. United Supporters' Charity Shield Match, featuring Barra Brava FC and Screaming Eagles FC, will take place June 7 at George Mason University's Robinson Field. Games will take place at 1 and 3 p.m. Donations will benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and the Wounded Warriors Project.

-- The 2009 Nicole Cup, a four-vs.-four tournament for U-9 to U-19 teams, will take place Aug. 8-9 at Spring Hill Recreation Center in McLean. Proceeds benefit the Nicole Megaloudis Foundation. Nicole, the step-daughter of longtime MLS and USSF coach Thomas Rongen, died in 2004. Click here for more details.

-- Ian Sarachan, the son of Galaxy assistant Dave Sarachan and a former college player at Illinois-Chicago, has started an organization called Sporting Smiles, which collects soccer and sporting gear to donate to disadvantaged youth around the country. Visit his Web site here.

*The first two PK calls last night at Home Depot Center appeared legitimate -- a shirt-tugging and a stupid challenge -- but the last one in second-half added time that provided Chicago (5-0-6) with a 3-2 victory over Chivas USA (7-2-3) in front of 20,379 spectators was highly suspect. Plenty of strong comments in Luis Bueno's story.

By Steve Goff  |  May 29, 2009; 9:43 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , Mexico , Netherlands , Spain , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend TV Listings
Next: Gomez Out, Notes from RFK

Comments

There is some complaining in the other thread about "sticking up for the enemy". Who is our bigger enemy? Chivas, way over there in the other conference who have no impact on our playoff position, or Chicago, the team directly above us in the standings? I always root for the West vs the East in games not involving DCU or LA. If the other East teams lose that is good for us.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 29, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

wow, that was an amazingly weak penalty. I have never really been a huge McBride fan, but this takes away whatever respect I used to have for him. Not even a good dive, really, but apparently good enough for the ref. He must have wanted a Blanco jersey for himself :-)
Glad I had switched over to a re-run of Letterman by then.

Posted by: dcufan | May 29, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I am still a bit confuse dby the Nowak thing. I guess he figured he didn't wan to miss the opportunity and that Philly was a better place to live than Portland (which might not make it up afterall). Personally, I would have relocated to Vancouver but then again--being from the Balto-DC corridor, we are just anti-Philly sports. Great area to live in though.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 29, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy your mini-vacation in Central America wherever that may be. Remember to bring your umbrella and rain gear, its the rainy season and "water" not rain falls from the sky. Will be interested to see what you find going on with the Costa Rica national team. The USMNT record is bad there (as are the fans at Ricardo Saprissa) I hope you have cover over your head at the game on June 3.

Posted by: sbg1 | May 29, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

@fedssocr: They ARE ALL the enemy in my book. I was just saying that I'm sick of all the complaining about refs. DCU has been screwed enough by it this year, but all the whining about it isn't going to change jack, and worrying about other clubs getting the dirty end of the stick is pointless.

Above all, I wouldn't take much of anything that I spew here very seriously, especially late at night.

I would have preferred Chivas won, but I'll take more Blanco fantasy points, thank you very much. As well as Nagamura's tally as well. I'm just pissed Lillingston didn't produce again.

Have fun down there Goff!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 29, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Is Goff implying that Paul Tenorio is the Most Interesting Man in the World?

By the way, Red Bull shill Erik Stover disputed Goff's story that Osorio was on the hot seat (check the NY Post's soccer blog for details). Stover also pretended that he had no idea who Goff is.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | May 29, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Of course I believe the Insider far more than I believe anyone who hawks Red Bull for a living.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | May 29, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Goff -- Bon voyage. If you haven't left yet, can you offer info on Maurice Edu's health? Sky Sports had a ticker note that the he is doubtful for the weekend's Scottish Cup final. Is he hurt, and how will this affect the qualifiers roster?

As for Nowak -- he's a powert00l. That's always been clear, no? Just another example to confirm it. I hope Bradley has a good replacement in mind.

Posted by: fischy | May 29, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

me thinks, after reading last night's, SInsider, Dadryan does not get out of the house or off the couch much..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 29, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy your trip SG.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 29, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Goff -- You are the most interesting man alive...

Posted by: fischy | May 29, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I guess that stadium has a knack for bogus PKs...

Posted by: mbyrd28 | May 29, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

someone who's SI handle implies using a couch based ganja uptake device is claiming I don't get out of the house or off the couch much? Give me a break. Even with my beer gut, and the kid trailer attached to my whip, I'd still ride circles around you braddah!

;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 29, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

He lives vicariously through himself.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 29, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Have fun in Ticolandia, Goff!

BTW, when I was there this past Xmas, I heard that a Chinese consortium was building a new, 30,000-seat national stadium in San Jose. Not sure if that's still the case, but fyi anyway.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 29, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Buen viaje amigo. Send pictures.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 29, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Goff leaves for a mini-vacation the same day as Marc Fisher pens his last column. Hmm...

Posted by: Section117 | May 29, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Hey, my wife and I are heading to Costa Rica too.

Our 20th wedding anniversary happens to be on June 3rd, and by some odd coincidence we'll be in a certain stadium in a San Jose suburb celebrating it.

When are you arriving in Costa Rica?

Posted by: lastort1 | May 29, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

dadryan....

right... but how are you at the Wii's Star Wars: The Force Unleashed??

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 29, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Goff once had an awkward moment, just to see what it was like.

Enjoy the Central American Area. Beautiful place, as you know.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 29, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe how off-course this blog has become. Can't you people talk about serious soccer stuff, and stop joking around?

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 29, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

joedoc

May the force be with you!!

SHUNNED!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 29, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

So, Madrid is going to skim the first million off the top. That means DCU has to sell at least 20,000 of those $50 tix for subscribers, just to cover Real's fee. Then, they have to cover whatever it costs for rent, and paying concessions, parking lot attendants, security, insurance, publicity, and converting the field for soccer.

What I'm saying is...United is stepping up, bringing its fans a treat, with the New Galacticos. United fans need to step up and support the team where it matters.

Posted by: fischy | May 29, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

In a bold move, Kevin Payne hires Mark Fisher to be point man for a new soccer stadium in the district.

Posted by: Hoost | May 29, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Fisher's leaving? What -- he figures he's run MacFarlane out of town, so it's "mission accomplished"?

Posted by: fischy | May 29, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

A dirty joke for you:

A white horse fell in the mud.

Ha ha ha! I'm not coming back to this blog now, so there! LOL! MLS! NBA! NFL! MLB! NHL! TNT! USA! AMC!

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 29, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

You just have to swear off this thread, joedoc, not the whole blog for Pete's sake.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 29, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Curse you, joedoc!!! You've beaten us, again...

Posted by: fischy | May 29, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: torrey151 | May 29, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

sorry for posting what was already pointed out. i got so excited, i didn't bother scanning the previous posts.

Posted by: torrey151 | May 29, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

PURA VIDA!

Say hi to to Del Ray Hotel for me...;)

Posted by: alan19 | May 29, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy the vacation Sr. Goff...and oh by the way:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 29, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

BH4G: I'm a XBX360 type of cat, but I bet Wii is an awesome platform for using the Force!

Funny that we've touched on this as my copy of Skate 2 and Tiger Woods09 are supposed to arrive in my mailbox this afternoon. I'm excited to see how those pair with MY bonghits4Gomez;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 29, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't own a bong...

Vamos United!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 29, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't own a bong...

Vamos United!!

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 29, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Duuuude! I've got an extra if you're looking for a hand me down...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 29, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't own a bong?
Then Bang a Gong

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 29, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh man I need TV when I got T Rex?

Posted by: OWNTF | May 29, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse