Holiday Kickaround

*USA women friendly vs. Canada tonight. Abby Wambach is in pursuit of her 100th international goal. Live coverage on Fox Soccer Channel at 7 p.m. ET. Full preview here.

*No alcohol in Rome -- the entire city -- before Wednesday's Champions League final between Barcelona and Manchester United. Good luck with that.

*After scoring twice Saturday, Toronto's Amado Guevara has more to celebrate: He's been recalled by Honduras for World Cup qualifiers against the USA and El Salvador.

*In USL2, Crystal Palace Baltimore (3-3-2) earned a 1-1 draw at Richmond (1-1-4).

*Despite a 3-2 loss at home to Indios, Pachuca advanced to the Mexican finals with a 4-3 aggregate victory. A 90th-minute goal sent the Gophers through. The video is here. Check out the Pachuca goalkeeper's outfit:

By Steve Goff  |  May 25, 2009; 1:36 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , MLS , Mexico , USL , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: MLS Observations

Comments

No alcohol in Rome? For 30 hours? Sure. And there will also be no coffee or cigarettes, right? A recipie for chaos.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | May 25, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Calero's outfit wasn't the only questionable thing for him yesterday. He dropped several easy balls (including one that, eventually, lead to him handling outside the box with what looked like intent to me; he somehow escaped with only a yellow card) and made some bad distribution decisions. I remember reading or hearing rumors of him trying MLS out, but frankly I don't think he can hack it.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 25, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

That keeper outfit? All I can say is his life is pretty plain...maybe he'd rather watch puddles gather rain?

Posted by: eadc | May 25, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to go for the obvious and say that Calero was trying to generate some buzz, but got stung in the process.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 25, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I was just watching the NCAA Lacrosse championship on ESPN, and the news ticker kept telling us about England's World Cup Qualifying roster.

That's funny. I know I live in NEW England, but that does NOT mean I care more about David Beckham and Gary Neville than, say, Carlos Bocanegra and Landon Donovan. Why in the hell would I, a citizen of the United States of America watching a lacrosse game, care about who England plans to play in their WCQ's against other teams in Europe (and some who aren't really in Europe, but are technically part of UEFA like Kazahkstan)?

Ugh. The lack of coverage about US soccer, whether it be MLS or USMNT, is astounding. I mean, I live 25 minutes from Gillette Stadium (which is MUCH closer than Boston!!!), and although I hate the Revs, it makes me sick that they get literally no coverage- just a little blurb with a game score and who scored the goals. Absolutely ridiculous. No wonder soccer can't grow in this country.

Posted by: kdiff813 | May 25, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Calero had several teammates behind him (compare to Kasey Keller a few weeks ago) when he intentionally handled the ball outside the box. That's why he didn't get a red card.

There's a reason Rome is known as the Eternal City. If you know the right people at Nero's Vomitorium you can still be hooked up with the proper beverages.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 25, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

kdiff813

I feel your pain. I also thought it was ridiculous to show that. How many people who are not soccer fans would even know who Gary Neville is? I can just see in now all the lacrosse fans dumbfounded by the name Gary Neville. I must say when I lived in Syracuse at time it was hard to remember that the United States even had an MLS league.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 25, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I am as critical of ESPN as anyone, but.....

Yesterday, ESPN devoted a 10-minute SportsCenter feature segment to Tim Howard and Everton, then announced the USA roster exclusively. The news ticker throughout the day at the bottom of the screen included info on the USA roster. That was yesterday. Today, England announced their roster, so ESPN felt it was newsworthy enough to include it with all of the other scores of the day in various sports. Would you have preferred they completely ignore international soccer altogether today? They also have been running news ticker soccer scores from throughout the world's leagues all spring. How is that a bad thing?

Posted by: Steve Goff | May 25, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

So instead of whining that ESPN ignores soccer, we now have people whining that ESPN is covering too much European soccer?
Seriously?
I'm happy whenever I see ESPN acknowledge that soccer exists...in any form.

Posted by: icehippo | May 25, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

kdiff813: You could make the same argument for the ticker showing baseball scores during a soccer game. ESPN televises the Champions League, US qualifiers, and some MLS matches. They figure that their soccer audience watches other sports too. So if you're watching some small-market sport like lacrosse, they may think that you watch other small market sports like soccer. In your case, they were correct. Also note that they are televising the CL final on Wednesday and are tempting their customers with small morsels of soccer news.

It's not personal, it's business.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 25, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

it was also interesting that they interviewed the Krafts and didn't mention anything about their futbol team. Just about that Brady guy and their NFL team. Even the announcing crew when they were talking about the stadium being home to the Patriots didn't mention there was another team that plays its home games there too. For niche-y sport guys like the lax announcers you'd think there would at least be a tiny amount of respect.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 25, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Cocaine test prompts Red Bull removal in Germany according to news outlets.

Does this account for New York's erratic play this season? Over the past couple of years?

Just curious.

Posted by: Curious99 | May 25, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

By Steve Goff | May 25, 2009; 1:36 PM ET

Doesn't Amado usually pull an MIA in MLS after appearing for his country? Or is that only Ruiz? At any rate, that's good news for whoever has TFC in June.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 25, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Keeping Romans from drinking?

Time to call in Tom Cruise. Mission AINT F___King happening!!!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 25, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

I seem to remember a prostitute in Fells Point back in the mid-90's who wore the same outfit as the Pachuca keeper (wasn't a customer, just a neighbor). Looked a lot like the girl in the Blind Melon song's video (referenced here already) aged about 40 more years of rough living.

Posted by: vandivere13 | May 25, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

O'Reilly with only the keeper to beat and sends it high. Arrghhh.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 25, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Makes up for it with the assist to Cheney.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 25, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Why is it that every time we beat teh crap out of Canada, an announcer has to say that Canada can take something positive from the game and build on it and realize what they need to do, blah, blah, blah?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 25, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

You know what Steve Goff, in complete hindsight and after reflecting on your comments I think you a right. I think I may have just been stuck in "hater" mode earlier in the day.

As always, thanks for all the hard work you put in.

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 25, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Goff's just laying the groundwork for his future position as *THE SOCCER INSIDER* on ESPN. He's had some second thoughts about his long time fantasy job as cheese cutter at Whole Foods.:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 25, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Are any of you aware that next season the Champions League will be shown on FSC instead of ESPN?

Posted by: hoyasaxadc | May 26, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse