Americans Abroad, Thursday Edition

In England, Millwall defender Zack Whitbread went the full 90 in a 1-1 League One playoff tie at Leeds, a result that sent the Lions to Wembley for a final promotion match. Forward Mike Grella came on in the 90th minute for Leeds, which lost the first leg, 1-0. Millwall will next play the winner of Friday's playoff between Scunthorpe and MK Dons (which includes American forward Jemal Johnson) at Wembley.

In Mexico, midfielder Jose Francisco Torres scored in the 20th minute and went 90 in Pachuca's 2-1 victory at Chiapas. Defender Marco Vidal started and played 90 for Indios in a 1-0 win over Toluca. (late game)

In Denmark, defender Danny Califf played 90 minutes in Midtjylland's 2-1 win over Aalborg, which did not use forward Marcus Tracy. Meantime, midfielder Benny Feilhaber started and went the distance in Aarhus' 3-1 win over Esbjerg. Aarhus midfielder Jeremiah White did not play.

By Steve Goff  |  May 14, 2009; 8:47 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: SuperLiga Set
Next: Mason Nation

Comments

Posted by: mattygp | May 14, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Feilhaber starts one game, it's time for Bob to bring him back!!

Go Torres. I think he needed that.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 14, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

1970 was a bad year. That's why.

Posted by: Curious99 | May 14, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Would like to see the scoring combo of Whitbread and Mbuta.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 14, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

As a Leeds fan it pains me to say this, but Whitbread was a rock in defense over both legs of the series.

Posted by: mellon02 | May 14, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

The last time two American faced each other in a promotion final was DeMerit v Lewis, no?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 14, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

So, I've gotten a good basketball game (Orlando-Boston), now the only Hockey I ever watch (close playoff games, Boston-Carolina), another elimination playoff game in basketball just getting going (LA-Houston), and I get to watch the Timbers Army in 30 minutes. With no work tomorrow, this is a good night.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 14, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

With Torres, Bradley, and Edu all in good form, the future of the Nats midfield looks solid. Now if only Altidore can get first team minutes next season.......

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 14, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

It's worth noting the Mexican games are playoffs, too. Not promotion playoffs just old fashioned "American-style" playoffs to determine the champion.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 15, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Also worth noting, I found out tonight while playing around on worldstadiums.com (whoever first linked over to that many months ago, thank you), that Mexico has a professional football league. And I don't mean Futbol. I mean good ole gridiron football.

Want proof?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 15, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Jacob: yep, gringos who don't get tryouts for the NFL often go down there just to stay in the game for a while. Also, the Mexican stars often come to Spain to play in the Spanish Liga Nacional de Futbol Americano (limit 3 North Americans per team). Self-interested note: My Lisbon Navigators (we play in the Spanish league because Portugal doesn't have one yet) just won their first playoff game. Semifinals against Valencia next week.

Posted by: troy6 | May 15, 2009 3:58 AM | Report abuse

I knew Italy and Germany had them, but I'm surprised about the others. This is cool.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 15, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

UP THE IRON!!! Goin' back up!

Posted by: GreenbeltUnited | May 15, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse