Life of Fred

The photos are jarring at first -- a scar running from the side of the head, over the top of the skull and down the other side -- but the smile on Eduarda's face softens the impact. The 11-month-old daughter of D.C. United midfielder Fred underwent 5 1/2 hours of surgery late last week at world-renowned Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore to correct a craniofacial disorder in which the brain grows faster than the bones. Read more about the condition.

"They remove the front" of the skull, Fred said. "When she grows, the bones grow too slow. Four days at the hospital, I didn't sleep."

Eduarda, Fred's wife Deborah and Fred's mother are now back at the family's apartment in Falls Church. The only medication required is a pain reliever. "She is the same as before surgery," Fred said, smiling.

Keep reading.....

Fred and his wife knew for about six months that the operation would be necessary, and with their daughter approaching her first birthday, the time came to correct the problem. The surgery came less than five months after Fred's father was killed in an auto accident in Brazil.

"This is life, man," he said. "We had to do it."

After missing two training sessions last week and Saturday's match against Dallas, Fred's fitness level slipped a bit. Hence, he did not travel to Kansas City today for tomorrow night's match against the Wizards. He expects to be ready for this Saturday's game against Toronto at RFK Stadium.

Said Coach Tom Soehn: "He has had a really stressful few days. Thankfully, everything has come out great. It was pretty scary for him, as it would be for any parent, but he has responded well. He has a little life in him again."

By Steve Goff  |  May 5, 2009; 2:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daniela: Ligaments, Tibia Damage
Next: Euro Matchday: Arsenal-Manchester United

Comments

Great to hear Eduarda is doing well since the surgery. Thoughts and prayers obviously still with Fred & family.

Posted by: TheAMT | May 5, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Eduarda and her parents. There are not many things more terrifying than having your child in the hospital.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 5, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow, glad everything is OK with his daughter. Very scary, having a kid go under the knife. Take the time to stay with family. It's much more important than a few soccer games.

Posted by: forpat | May 5, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Glad to hear the surgery went well and everyone is able to breath easy.

Posted by: beltwayrob | May 5, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely, best wishes to Eduarda.

Posted by: decoi | May 5, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I think of Fred and Eduarda everytime I open my cell phone. My wallpaper is a picture of Eduarda, Fred and myself that I had taken at a D.C. United game shortly after Eduarda was born. Not only is Fred a great soccer player, but he is a great guy and Father as well.

I am very glad that Eduarda is doing well and I will keep the whole family in my prayers.

Posted by: Smitty8 | May 5, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I can't even imagine how stressful this must have been. It's great to hear that the surgery was a success. Here's hoping Fred and his family have a long spell of good luck after this; they're definitely due.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 5, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Great news for Fred and his family. Happy to hear that surgery went well and that Eduarda will be OK. These were trying times for you, Fred, and the prayers and thoughts of the Black-and-Red faithful were, are and will always be with you. We love you, man!

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 5, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Our prayers are with you, Fred.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 5, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Thoughts and prayers are with you, Fred.

I'm glad Hopkins is so close!

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 5, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Golly. I am happy to read that the intervention has been successful. Hopefully Fred can get a little sleep and relax a bit.
Again my household will sending out positive healing vibes.

I'm also hoping for Fred to really break out in a scoring rampage really soon! Keep on truckin' Fred!!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 5, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I hope everyone is planning to attend and give Fred a huge welcome back on May 9!

Posted by: mbetka23 | May 5, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

May God continue to bless Fred and his family during this difficult time. We know who's really in control at all times.

Posted by: euroman | May 5, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Fred's family.

It has been a very tough year for our midfielder!

Posted by: Barracudas | May 5, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful news -- Goff your earlier posts were very foreboding. Glad for Fred and family that this has appeared to work out just fine.

Posted by: griffin1108 | May 5, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Like griffin1108, I was worried about a catastrophic problem for Fred. The guy doesn't need more heartache. I'm relieved (for him and Eduarda) that the surgery went well and that a full recovery is expected.

I'm sending good vibes.

Posted by: DrBeaker | May 5, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

best wishes to fred and his family

Posted by: hiro_pro1 | May 7, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse