RFK, Tribune, TV, Friendly Skies

*Local organizers tell me they're expecting at least 20,000 for a May 30 friendly between El Salvador and Jamaica at RFK Stadium. (D.C. United is at New England that day.) Kickoff is 7 p.m. Click here for ticket availability. The Salvadorans -- who regard RFK as their home away from home, thanks to the enormous immigrant community here -- are tuning up for a June 6 World Cup qualifier against Mexico at Estadio Cuscatlan.

*Best wishes to Luis Arroyave, a good guy and good writer who is leaving his post as the Chicago Tribune's soccer writer for a new assignment.

*Soccer on TV (addendum to this morning's listings):
Mexico, Chiapas-Pachuca 6 p.m. Azteca America
Mexico, Indios-Toluca 8 p.m. Azteca America

*Apologies to United Airlines for implicating them in the DCU travel mess today. It was American, not United, that cancelled the team's flight to Los Angeles. Please forgive me, United ... and do make sure my upgrade request for tomorrow's nonstop from Dulles is processed without any hard feelings. ;-)

By Steve Goff  |  May 14, 2009; 2:11 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , D.C. United , MLS , Mexico , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Minutes With Tom Soehn
Next: SuperLiga Set

Comments

Now, you're writing about Salvadoran national futbol games, and giving TV listings for Mexican futbol?? You're slipping, man...they don't even call the sport soccer.

About the airlines -- having a blog is never having to say you're sorry. Nobody reads these things.

Posted by: fischy | May 14, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Better pack an extra pair of undies in your carry-on Steve, me thinks you are about to lose some luggage!

Posted by: Tweaked | May 14, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, well played!

:-)

SG

Posted by: Steve Goff | May 14, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm just realizing today that the Mexican federation completely pulled out of all CONMEBOL competitions.

Could this mean MLS teams could play in the Libertadores? I doubt it.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 14, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Giving up soccer for free booze!? My grandparents are rolling in their graves. Why not combine the two, then you have ourself the perfect occupation.

Posted by: adamsunited | May 14, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Dang! The Trib's soccer coverage was already poor. I imagine it'll be nearly non-existent now.

Posted by: Washago | May 14, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Nice job on WSD. Will that be a regular thing or was it just a one off?

Posted by: peridigm | May 14, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

hope your upgrade goes through...mine didnt yesterday on the way to san diego....hopefully on the way home sunday!

Posted by: dcsnowwake | May 14, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

From Wikileak:

Memo To: United Airlines staff
From: The President's Office
RE: Treatment of Washington Post reporter

It has come to my attention that United Airlines has been poorly treated in the sports section of The Washington Post, particularly by one Stephen Goff.

Coincidentally, Mr. Goff will be flying on United this week.

Please let it be know that Mr. Goff -- herewith known as "Passenger 57" -- is to be given the "Turkish Bath" treatment that we have designed for our "special" customers. As of this moment, Plan TB is in effect for Passenger 57.

Special note to United employees in Madagascar: when Passenger 57's luggage arrives, please be sure to alert my office immediately.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 14, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully British Airways won't lose my luggage on the way to Manchester. Have a great weekend lads (and any other ladies out there). I'll miss of of your satire, sarcasm, snark, and sass. But (hopefully) seeing United lift the trophy will fill the void. "See" y'all Tuesday.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 14, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

May you have clear skies and a tailwind - both ways.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 14, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm just sayin'...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 14, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Have a safe trip, BlackandRedRedDevil.

Have a pint for me?

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 14, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Although I'm not a fan, that is an experience I'd like to have, and hope it's all it seems like, BaRRD, enjoy many times over.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 14, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Goff, We've got our spare bedroom all set up for ya. What time you want me to pick you up at the airport?

Also, hope you're looking forward to trying out some of So-Cal's finest, herbal "medicine." Just got back from the doctor's today getting my prescription filled.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 14, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Damn Poopy, you big tease you! California Dreamin'.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 14, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse