Mason Nation

How about some love for the locals? Former Columbus Crew coach Greg Andrulis's recruiting class at George Mason is considered one of the best in the nation and another top national prospect might be on the way soon.

On a side note, the NCAA has selected UC Santa Barbara as host of the 2010 men's College Cup. This year's final four will take place in Cary, N.C.

Highlights from George Mason's 2008 season:

By Steve Goff  |  May 15, 2009; 3:04 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad, Thursday Edition
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

It's about time Masons program returned to where it was in the 80s under Gordon Bradley. GMU used to be a regular in the top 20 and always drew well at the gate too. Go Mason!

Posted by: croftonpost | May 15, 2009 6:19 AM | Report abuse

As soon as I read your headline Goff I began singing the "mason nation" radio jingle for the men's bball team. AHHHHHHHH!!! Bad way to start off my day, although not having to do with your blog.

Posted by: adamsunited | May 15, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Well done Mason. They do play like champions.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 15, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Since when does a highlight reel include scenes of strong defense? Shouldn't it be all about spectacular shots and saves? Very nice.

Posted by: glfrazier | May 15, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

#6 is a beast.

Posted by: b18bolo | May 15, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Baba Andrulis?

Cool, I am gonna have to go see them this year.
Based on this video I have to assume they won all their games 6-0 :-)
- #6 is a fireplug, and I mean that in a good way - looks like a cross between Dema Kovalenko and Chris Armas
- Fro reminds me of his brother, at least with the excitement and spirit
- There is not a single shot of a save with the keeper going left......
- many of the teams they played looked very not good.

Posted by: dcufan | May 15, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I agree about the #6 -- tough player. Anyone know how Fro is doing? Does he have a future in pro soccer?

Posted by: fischy | May 15, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Andrulis has gone from one university in green and gold (Wright State) to another (George Mason)...with a stop in Columbus in between.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 15, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Cool, I will be going there for college next fall. I will have to go to some of their games.

Posted by: dcuni_ted | May 15, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Gau-chos!

How can you mention UCSB without also mentioning that Chris Pontius went there?

Seriously, I know many Gaucho fans are following Pintius' year with United, and I suddenly find myself a fan of an MLS team and haven't missed a United match yet. Btw, Pontius' goal of the week was largely an effort by UCSB fans.

Go United!