Matchnight #8: United-Wizards

Greetings from Kansas, the Sunflower State, a few miles west of the bigger Kansas City, just off I-435 and I-70, across the street from Dave and Busters, Target and Hooters. Kansas Speedway is just beyond the parking lots.

I know how strange CommunityAmerica Ballpark -- which is also home to the minor league baseball T-Bones -- looks on TV. I realize the sightlines are odd and the Claudio Lopez/Time Warner Cable billboard is a distraction. But compared to 297,000-seat Arrowhead Stadium, I'll take this place (on a temporary basis). Private suites named for former players (Digital Takawira!) and coaches/front office is a nice touch.

DCU's Jaime Moreno won not only MLS player of the week honors but also the goal of the week award for his go-ahead chip against Dallas.

Kickoff: 8:30 p.m. ET (Comcast SportsNet, Direct Kick).

Back later with an intriguing DCU lineup.

For the second of three games in an eight-day stretch....

DCU: Crayton; Namoff, Janicki, John; Pontius, Simms, Jacobson, Barklage, Wallace; Moreno, Quaranta. Subs: Kocic, Jakovic, McTavish, Khumalo, Gomez, Emilio, N'Silu.

As usual, this is the gathering spot for pregame, in-game and postgame banter.

By Steve Goff  |  May 6, 2009; 6:37 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad
Next: United Rewind

Comments

OT -- Sundhage names WNT roster for Japan matches -- Freedom will be without Wambach and presumably Sawa for the United doubleheader on May 23.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 6, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Not expecting much tonight. Surprise me boys.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Intriguing?

442?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 6, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I've got Party Boy and Lucigol on my Fantasy team this week. Go United!

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the Caps will be up by 17 goals by the time United's match begins.

Posted by: sitruc | May 6, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Dave and Busters, Target and Hooters? Sounds like paradise;-) Thanks for calling it like you see it Steve. It's hard to make that baseball field LOOK great on TV, but it's bound to have some charms. After watching Barca/Chelsea today it's gonna be hard for folks not to groan about this match, but I'm good and ready to make the best of it!
Vamos United! 3 more points baby!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 6, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Digital Takawira is among my all-time favorite MLS names. And that innocent, child-like look of surprise when he was caught offside was just funny to watch. I guess I'm showing my age.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 6, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Back later with an intriguing DCU lineup.

4-4-2
Kocic in goal and Crayton as the Sweeper?

Posted by: jmingus | May 6, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I presume intriguing means he's going to rest some players we might not expect, and give some other rookies (e.g. Barklage and/or Jacobson) starts. After so many matches, Soehn has talked about the depth he thinks he has available. Well, we're in a stretch of 5 matches in 19 days; if this isn't a situation where you call on that depth, what is?

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | May 6, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Philly's logo/crested leaked:

I think it looks pretty tight.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | May 6, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Everybody sing:

"Look for the Union label...."

Posted by: fischy | May 6, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Interesting DC lineup but I think its genius. For the 10 days KC has had off - they probably have been working on ways to contain Emilio up top. My guess is Emilio will come on in the 55th for Moreno and Gomez for Barklage too. Im looking for a last minute win like the past few weeks. Tommy is toying with the depth.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | May 6, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Props to the WaPo folks for consolidating Goff's player ratings.

Damn my eyes for not seeing it sooner.

Posted by: Section117 | May 6, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

John's first appearance for us. Interesting that he would start a road match, but with Burch out maybe Tommy's hand was forced.

Posted by: b18bolo | May 6, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Barklage/Jacobson is interesting. Hope it works, like the idea of Emilio coming in late if needed.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Section117: Your eyes aren't that bad. That just was just linked to around 6 o'clock tonight. Let Goff or us know in the comments or by email if there are any problems.

Posted by: Greg Manifold | May 6, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Emilio on the bench?? WTF?

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Btw, TFC is up 1-0 early against the Whitecaps.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I am feedless tonight...

Posted by: Reignking | May 6, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

RK, you are feedless no more.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Never mind...

Posted by: Reignking | May 6, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Oddly enough, I had gone there. Guess it wasn't up at that point.

Posted by: Reignking | May 6, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

They improved the feed quality, can mlsnet get better music for the commercial/"We'll be right back" screen next?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I think Emilio is tuckered out after playing multiple games so close together.

I have to say, I thought it was between Janicki and John. Same with Barklage, Wallace, Pontius to get out there. All of them. Damn.

We've got some potent subs.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 6, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

It is strange to be turning comcast. I had search the channel that I never touch if only when there is United game.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 6, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Come on United!

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 6, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

John looks real slow right now.

Posted by: KHSpartan11 | May 6, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

This field is just disgustingly small. There is no wing. The goal box is basically the out line. Ugh.

Posted by: kennyisbigk911 | May 6, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

So, about the lineup....:

Soehn does realize the Open Cup match isn't for a couple of weeks, right?

Will be interesting to see how this goes...

Posted by: fischy | May 6, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

i couldn't really understand what i just said

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 6, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't think this is the team to play the rookies against, as good as they are. This isn't going well.

Alright, time to watch the game.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 6, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm liking Crayton's baseball cap

Posted by: carmines757 | May 6, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Barca v Chelsea is replaying on espn deportes right now.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 6, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Nah, we're good Greg, I like it.

Posted by: Section117 | May 6, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Im thinking about applying for the job of KC color guy.

What? Somebody has that role? I just thought that was a random guy they caught on a field mic...

Seriously, he's not good.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I love ya DC but this is terrible soccer on both sides.

Posted by: DonDraper | May 6, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Out of town so can't see the game and have to follow on gamecast. The lineup must be confusing because espn has pontius as a defender; janaki as a midfielder and namoff as a striker amongst other goof. LOL

Posted by: Beckster1 | May 6, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

TFC up 1-0 at HT.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
post..

Posted by: KHSpartan11 | May 6, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, the post hates Pontius

Posted by: carmines757 | May 6, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh, unlucky.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 6, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful, should have been a goal.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

OOOOOOhhhh....so close.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Avery John is a foul machine. Always has be, and as long as we're willing to pay him to do it.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 6, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Jacob, saying the KC color guy is not very good could be the understatement of the century. Every time I hear his voice, I want to put a gun in my mouth.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

goall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WALLACE

Posted by: KHSpartan11 | May 6, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how that went in, but I'll take it

Posted by: carmines757 | May 6, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Goal!!

Nice job!!

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 6, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh my....Gooooooallllllllllllll

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

That's the one!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Hartman got pwned.

Posted by: KHSpartan11 | May 6, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Jaime with 101!

Posted by: KHSpartan11 | May 6, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Hah, nice loud "f***" from the KC midfielder by the field mic

Posted by: carmines757 | May 6, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Quote: "You'll see Crayton has taken his hat off now, the sun has gone down, so he doesn't need it now."

The only thing he's said so far that didn't start with "Yeah..." followed by an extended repitition of what the play by play guy said. I'm seriously about to just listen to the pti podcast.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I wanna here this kid.. anyone have the link?

Posted by: KHSpartan11 | May 6, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

What feed are you watching with such a terrible commentator?

Posted by: carmines757 | May 6, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

hear*

Posted by: KHSpartan11 | May 6, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

It's the mlsnet feed.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Excellent tackle by Namoff

Posted by: carmines757 | May 6, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

"He comes through on the tackle, commits the foul, setting up a counter for DC".

Really, a long ball on a free kick counts as that? Setting up a counter?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

those of you who don't hear comcast Dave and Thomas has been informing about the supporters stadium support rally on saturday this friday. that's nice.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 6, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

is it me or has Namoff worked on his first touch??? Did anyone see how he brought down that ball?

Posted by: Norteno4life | May 6, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Clint Mathis got a yellow for dissent in the 7th. I wanna see that.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't let off the second half. hold or play even stronger.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 6, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

caps losing 2-1 with 4 minutes to go.

Posted by: birdynumnum | May 6, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Crowd looks pretty good in Salt Lake

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

caps tied it up 2-2 with 1 minute to go

Posted by: birdynumnum | May 6, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

John's made some big stops. Barklage hustling -- after he got that yellow, he leapt way up to deflect Lopez' free kick...when most players would mail it in. Quaranta with 2 great back heel passes. Let's hope he doesn't implode as he did in the 2nd half last week -- I really think he can be a terrific playmaker, who might make a star out of Pontius. That's assuming Pontius can improve his aim. He is getting closer. Namoff has become the indispensable DCU player. He gets my vote for defender of the year. And, it's on to the 2nd half. Y'know, maybe if they used those HD sunglass lenses, the picture wouldn't be so washed out?

Posted by: fischy | May 6, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Jacob, I'm with you bro. Color guy sucks something fearce, but you re-writing every painful experience is making things worse. Spare those of us who are takin' one for the team and trying to stomach this guy, and for those of you who are missing how bad the color guy is calling this game, consider yourselves blessed.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 6, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

RSL unlucky not to score, as the Gals clear one off the line. TFC still up on the Whitecaps in the 66th minute.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

*fierce

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 6, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Goal RSL! 1-0

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

horrible passes from Emilio so far.

Posted by: KHSpartan11 | May 6, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone seeing what I'm seeing? Barklage could be a replacement for Olsen in the future. Never mind that Olsen is better, more fiery, I'm not saying he's a clone...

But he is creative, fearless, rough, and he's got good skill and passing on the ball. He could be quite valuable going for seasons to come.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 6, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, what the hell...

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 6, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Ugh.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Will do, Kosh.

Ick, something about that should have gone better.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

freaking offsides..

Posted by: KHSpartan11 | May 6, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Walace has a real nasty habit of holding on to the ball in dangerous places. I know he's a rook...but he's been doing it for a few games now. This time we get burned. Someone needs to talk to the kid!

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 6, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

That looked offsides.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 6, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

That said, I do love those celebrations. Like the Lambeu leap, maybe just a bit better.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

i have a feeling Kocic is coming on.

Posted by: KHSpartan11 | May 6, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling we'll be getting another really cheap Keeper and upgrade somewhere on the field this summer. $178 K can do that for us...I have the feeling we'll be getting $178 K real soon.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 6, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

hopefully we'll win with a goal scored NOT in stoppage time..
knock on wood everyone!

Posted by: KHSpartan11 | May 6, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Something is not working in the middle of the field all of a sudden. In the first half we were forcing them out to the wings, now KC is coming right at us up the gut.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 6, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the comments about the KC color guy. He sounds like he's asleep, although I am personally much more animated when I talk in my sleep.

ps - Louis Crayton is not very good and certainly not a keeper you win a championship with. Did Troy Perkins team get relegated?

Posted by: diego_r | May 6, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Check out that Crayton lateral quickness!

Posted by: diego_r | May 6, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

That free kick was a well designed play, and well executed.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I feel like we're playing on a pool table.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 6, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I can't quite place what's off about Crayton...he came in injured and then suffered a terrible personal tragedy. I'm not sure if that's what's messing with him. OR did he just look so much better last year compared to Wells? I seriously recall Crayton being much better attacking crosses last year and comaanding his box.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 6, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

TFC holds on and beats the Whitecaps 1-0.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Bad all, John clearly gets the ball.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 6, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Lopez is a diver.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 6, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Something I agree with the KC broadcasters about, this ref is pretty good, especially for a young guy.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Kosh2, something is definitely off with Crayton this year. I don't mean to pick on him but his goaltending style is to lunge to the side of the box where the ball is going and fall down.

Great foul by Avery John - is this why we picked him up?

I'd be very content with 1 point tonight.

Posted by: diego_r | May 6, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Red Devil, he did get the ball, but then scissored around his ankles, fair call.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

did I see this ref in an emo band once?

Posted by: diego_r | May 6, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

caps lost in OT. come on DCU, don't make this a crap evening for me!

Posted by: birdynumnum | May 6, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Not really sure if I'd say that the ref looks "emo"

Posted by: carmines757 | May 6, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | May 6, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

He looks more grunge than emo.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

nope, I think he said elmo or maybe evo

Posted by: koolcaio | May 6, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Caps lost? shucks.
John will help. Burch is leaning more and more towards his brutish side. Not that that is a bad thing. He just needs to get better with the ball at his feet. Where John, even for his out of shape oldness looks pretty comfortable with. Pretty sure clearance right?
I've got no complaints about having a choice of Burch, John, and maybe even Wallace in a pinch at LB.

I really think United has done a lot better with getting their hands on players this year. A lot more for their money for sure.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 6, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Kansas City aren't worthy opponents. They are just an annoying, pesky team that play for about 31% of the game.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 6, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

We didn't lose.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 6, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

With the younger lineup on the road against a good team, I'm fine with that.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 6, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

I'll concede to SonicDeathMonkey (with a name like that, he's the authority, right?) - the ref is more grunge than emo

I'm happy with the road draw, given the "intriguing" line-up.

I think the goalkeeping situation will be the main personnel story for the reminder of the year

Posted by: diego_r | May 6, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

"Espinosa should have gotten a red card. Professional foul, my rear end. That was far more dangerous than the red card Jaime got earlier this year -- and just as much from behind."

Truth. Also, agree with the statement about KC being "annoying" and playing for a third of the game

Posted by: carmines757 | May 6, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

One point on the road from the middle game of a tough three game run...I can live with it. Especially with the way we let them back in the game.

Now I need to listen to some AC/DC on level 11 to diffuse the nightmerish noise that the KC color has put in my head...the things we do for the loveof the black-and-red.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 6, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

But, heck, we've been playing a lot of games lately, a draw doesn't hurt to bad. We'll have to fight for first place, regardless. Doesn't change anything.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 6, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if I've ever said this before but "let's go RSL!"

goodnight everyone

Posted by: diego_r | May 6, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I'd argue that this was a very good result for us. Here's why:

1. We were on the road. Look at our road record the past 2 years.

2. KC was coming off a bye. We're going into a schedule crunch (so really couldn't afford to play our best team--which subtly sends a message like "we're not going allout for this match").

3. No Ben Olsen. Increasingly I feel he's the most critical player for this team, especially with younger guys out there. He sets a great example, manages a match well, is a leader and great communicator.

4. Our young guys continued to grow. I know I should be focusing on this season but I feel terrible that we're almost certain to lose a good youth player in the expansion draft. While I'm not going to nominate Barklage as a poor-man's Olsen, the point is that players like Barklage, Janicki, Jackovic plus Wallace, Pontius--they're doing a lot of good things and showing they can contribute either as a fulltime player or as a role guy spotting some minutes in the right situation.

I predicted a loss for this game. Under the circumstances, I'm very happy with a draw.

Posted by: JoeW1 | May 6, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I third that on the KC not being worthy opponents - at home, starters and they could not get the better of that strange lineup we put out there tonight.

Jaime played late into the game, so perhaps he's not a starter on Saturday. I still hope he makes an appearance though.

At Keep - Does Wicks get some love?

Laters, everyone.

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 6, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

It's a little bit disappointing that we looked better BEFORE Emilio and Gomez came on. But a tie on the road against a division rival isn't a disaster.

Avery John already looks like a better defender for the 3-5-2 than Burch. My Man of the Match goes to whichever defender was covering Jewsbury on that late game cross right in front of goal.

Tino's 1st half Backheel Fever wasn't as noticeable in the 2nd half.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 6, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Interesting point about the expansion draft. I'd hate to lose anyone, but you have to think it'd be either DiRaimondo, N'Silu, or Peters

Posted by: carmines757 | May 6, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Interesting points JoeW1. I hadn't even started to contemplate how painful it may be losing one of any of these guys to Philly in the offseason... Ugh. I know. Why did I have to mention it? Maybe we'll leave Olsen unprotected it he'll go out to pasture in Chester?

Good God I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo kidding. Anyway. That's about as likely as the team getting moved to St. Louis right?
United has a lot more depth this year, and we're also building a lot of trust by testing a lot of new guys early instead of pressuring them later. Champions League will be beckoning soon enough. I'm much happier after game 8 this year than I was last.
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 6, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Just watched some of my low def videotape and the late "cross to Jewsbury" I just mentioned was actually the 92nd minute cross from Lopez to Arnaud. I believe Jacobson (but it might be Janicki) did a good job of preventing a point blank header from 6 yards out by Arnaud.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 6, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Joel. I'm digging your lo-fi style.:-) Who did what again?:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 6, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

One more question:
Did anyone notice Janicki shaved? Was he trying to clown Dallas last week?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 6, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was Janicki -- but it was definitely a game-saving clear. Not sure what the beef here is with Crayton -- he played a fine game, to my mind. I can't think of anything he could have done much better. The back line and the keeper played pretty well tonight, especially given the constant KC assault.

That field is a joke, though. Way too small for 22 adults. United needs more of a spread to work their offense. The English style of dump the wing and cross it works much better, and Lopez played that well. To work the ball up and penetrate the middle, you need to spread the defense. It was too clogged up for DCU to play its game. In that respect, a draw was a good result. Better than last year's early season game in KC.

Posted by: fischy | May 6, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow....THREE goals in extra time makes it RSL/LA a 2-2 draw.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 6, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Crazy end to RSL vs. Galaxy - 2 PKs and three goals in the last three minutes of stoppage time.

Posted by: addick | May 6, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Conrad looks about 45 years old in the photo on DC's homepage

Posted by: carmines757 | May 6, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Conrad? How old is that guy???

Posted by: fischy | May 6, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

By the way -- as someone approaching his 45th birthday...I resent that remark.

Posted by: fischy | May 6, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Actually, he's more Charlton Heston than anything else. "Get your sweaty back off me, you damn dirty ape!"

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 6, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why some of you are worried about losing a player in the expansion draft when we're going to lose our whole team to St. Louis unless you show up to the march on Saturday.

Posted by: notafembot | May 6, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Come on. Not everyone is gonna be at this march. Rain, Caps game, youth soccer, are all working against this thing. Rongen couldn't even be bothered to know where the march was starting and you're trying to guilt trip me into feeling like the team will be gone if I can't make it to Lincoln Park in time on Saturday?
Give me a break. Can I ride my freaking bike in the "march" or will that cut United's chances of staying in the area even more?

Anywayz. Just saying, don't be surprised if the only people there are the Hard Core supporters. It's not our I'll more than likely be there but, believe me, I'm not having an easy time of convincing many people of schlepping to East Capital Hill 5 hours before the match starts.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 7, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Dad makes one really good point -- what freakin' genius set the rally for 4 hours before game time? Want to make sure you have your 2 1/2 hour tailgate party? That's real commitment to the cause, huh. Meanwhile, the rest of us are wondering what the h-e-double hockey sticks we're supposed to between 5:00 and the 7:30 kick-off. I really have better things to do with my time than stand around in a parking lot. This should have been set for no earlier than 5:00. Still early enough to make the evening news, and much more likely to pull in a good crowd.

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I have to choose between my girlfriend's kid's game and the rally. Really bad planning. I admire the idea, but the execution.... Once again, I have to wonder if anyone can see beyond the end of their own nose...

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

In fact -- the rally and march really should have been set to take place during the evening news -- those folks love the live remote.

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't mean to sound jerky, but yes it is awfully early. I'd originally been worried about the march cutting into my tailgating time, but as the day draws near, I'm having a very hard time convincing my usual suspects to commit so early. Still got a couple days to work on em, but seriously, that's a lot to ask of guys with young children and wives who think we already spend too much time screwing around, drinking, and watching soccer during the weekend.

Come on kids! Do us proud!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 7, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Goff's story on the match has been posted.

Posted by: Curious99 | May 7, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

@Dad -- feel some obligation to participate in the march, even though it means missing out on one of my gf's kid's games. But, there's no way I'm spending over 2 hours in an RFK parking lot. If I march, I'll probably hop back on the Metro and go to Eastern Market or go do something a little more stimulating.

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Ratings still not out, so I predict:

Crayton - 5.5; Namoff - 6; Janicki - 6.5; John - 6; Pontius - 5; Simms - 5; Jacobson - 5; Barklage - 4; Wallace - 5 (goal and blunder balance out); Moreno - 5.5; Quaranta - 6. Subs: Khumalo - 5; Gomez - 5; Emilio - 4.

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

@fischy: I feel some obligation as well. I've been planning on going to this match since the schedule came out. Kind of a b-day present to myself. Trying to get some friends together, etc. Sooo. I know it's not about it being convenient for me and what not, it's just dragging out what I think would make a bigger impression if it was done closer to kick off.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 7, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Dad,

put down the bong and WALK the bike.

Geez, talk about complainers. Grousing about using up too much of their valuable Saturday afternoon time and staying up til wee hours to register those complaints on the web!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 7, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Digital Takawara was a pretty decent player, with an AWESOME name!

P.S. Crayton is a benchwarmer at best...Go with Kocic...I was shocked to read in Goff's piece, that Crayton is 31 year sold? Jeez! I though he was at least 38..He does not look like a 31 year old keeper...He is slow as molasses! I would put him in the Perkins/Wells file...

Posted by: alan19 | May 7, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse