Matchnight: United-Red Bulls

Gorgeous day, RFK's field in immaculate condition.....what better way to enjoy such a setting than with a U.S. Open Cup play-in match! It's all on the line tonight, amigos: Winner heads to the tournament proper this summer; loser goes, er, back to its regular season concerns. Now we know what it feels like to play in the NCAA basketball play-in game in Dayton.

Kickoff: 7 p.m.
TV: None.
Internet Video: None (as far as I know).
Audio: Go to United's Web site or tune into WTOP (1050 AM).

A few notes.....

*Although the Open Cup substitution rule was recently modified from four per team to three, tonight's match will retain the four-player rule. Don't ask.

*Baby step by baby step, Real Madrid's proposed two-game MLS tour in August, including a meeting with D.C. United at FedEx Field, is moving closer to fruition. Cross your fingers.

I'll provide periodic updates tonight on the Soccer Insider's Twitter feed.

Back later with DCU's lineup and subs.

DCU LINEUP: Wicks; Namoff, Janicki, John; Barklage, McTavish, Pontius, Gomez, Fred; Khumalo, N'Silu. Subs: Kocic, Wallace, Quaranta, Moreno, Jacobson, Burch, DiRaimondo. (Simms, Emilio, Jakovic, Olsen, Crayton and Peters not in uniform.)

New York's Jorge Rojas is on the bench and available, but will miss the next two league matches. His red card over the weekend sidelined him for one game and MLS assessed an additional game today.

Won't you join us for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion? I knew you would.

By Steve Goff  |  May 20, 2009; 4:54 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembering Alan Kelly
Next: United Rewind

Comments

"Although the Open Cup substitution rule has been modified from four per team to three, tonight's match will retain the four-player rule. Don't ask."
----

Wha-- okayyyyyyy.... :-P

Posted by: Juan-John | May 20, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I like the 4 subs rule...I think it's should be expanded into today's futbol games worldwide

Posted by: BenCanada | May 20, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Oranges at halftime?

Posted by: Reignking | May 20, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

The guess the lineup game.

---------------------------Wicks------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------McTavish-------Janicki----------John-------
------------------------------------------------------------
-----------DeRaimondo--------Simms-------------
---Khumalo-----------------------------------Fred---
-------------------------Barklage-----------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------N'Silu-------------------Pontius----------

Posted by: the_slammer | May 20, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

WAXTAP, WAXTAP, WAXTAP!

WAXTAP Donuts!

For the sticklers in the audience the more proper pronunciation would be "doughnettes".

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 20, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Kandji nets two and Woly with another. Red Bullz will win 3-0!!!

Posted by: JonnyG-StarMetro | May 20, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I think the radio feed is on WAXTAP.

---------------------------Wicks------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------McTavish-------Janicki----------John-------
------------------------------------------------------------
-----------Jacobson--------Simms-------------
---Khumalo-----------------------------------Wallace---
-------------------------Barklage-----------------------
------------------------------------------------------------
------------N'Silu-------------------Pontius----------

But, I wouldn't be stunned if Namoff starts.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

@fischy - I'm a little concerned about the rooks, is all. Can Wallace continue to go every game? College seasons are like 15-20 games in their entirety.

Posted by: the_slammer | May 20, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

What the heck is WAXTAP?

I guess Wicks will start. God help us all.

Otherwise, I would start

Namoff-Jakovic-Janicki
Quaranta-Simms-Mctavish-Wallace
Fred
Emilio-Pontius

I want to try Janicki out there, so that we do not speak of "old foul-it-up."

I tried to leave tired old Pontius out, I tried. Didn't happen. Wouldn't mind Barklage in to start and a star in the wings (along with Moreno).

Let's kick their collective redbulls.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 20, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

"What the heck is WAXTAP?"

From an earlier thread. http://www.shakhtar.com -- WAXTAP (or if you prefer lowercase, Waxtep).

What I still want to know is, will WAXTAP get all argy-bargy and shun the Insider of they lose? Or even if they win?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 20, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Waxtap.

Posted by: Reignking | May 20, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Oranges at halftime?
Posted by: Reignking

Only if you quarter mine in nice sections.

Posted by: delantero | May 20, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

No quarter.

Posted by: Reignking | May 20, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Is the game really going to be on the radio? I hope this isn't another one of their fake-outs...

Posted by: hawknt | May 20, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow. None of our defenders better get injured. Plus Simms... Damn.

We'll see how Khumalo and N'Silu are right now, and whether Gomez can go anywhere near 90. I fully expect to see both Moreno and Quaranta in the second half.

John... few believe in you, try to nurse the fire, and make it worth your salary.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 20, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

McTavish can play a little defense in a pinch.

Posted by: the_slammer | May 20, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

TL: "Fred over the bar!"

Man I get tired of hearing that.

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | May 20, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

GOLLLLLLL!!!!!!

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | May 20, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow, it's 3 freekin zip.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 20, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Uhh, 3-0 United. In the 23rd minute.

"Yeah, I have a question: What??"

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | May 20, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Make that 4-0 . . .

Posted by: emanon13 | May 20, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

On this glorious occaision, all I can say is... how can we blow this one?

Let's push for the clean sheet, boys.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 20, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Rumor has it the folks at the game have won free wings because of DC scoring four goals. Who's doing that promotion, and are their wings any good?

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 20, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

no clean sheet.

4-1 at halftime.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | May 20, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

SonicDeathMonkey:
It's a Glory Days promotion. If DC scores 4 goals, you bring in your ticket and get free wings.

Posted by: goonerunited | May 20, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, I enjoyed listening to Tony Limarzi as I plotted my way through traffic back home, following a failed attempt to get through the traffic nightmare and get to RFK.

Sounds like it would have been a fun game to watch. Of course, I saved lots of money by not having to buy a ticket, multiple beers, carne asada and parking.

Somebody please tell me why this game was scheduled for a 7:00 start. Did DCU decide they didn't want a lot of people to make the game?

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

wings by glory days grill.

Team looks good. Is NY even trying?

Our depth is scary.

Posted by: LookingDangerous | May 20, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

LOL...the Red Bulls are giving us wings ;D

Posted by: goonerunited | May 20, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Now that my head is no longer exploding, I've restored some equanimity. I'm still p.o.d though. I will never again pay for a parking pass at the stadium -- a one-time lapse in judgment this year. I'm much happier going by Metro. But, I'm ticked off in that I missed this game. Bad enough the Nats start so early -- at least, there games aren't over in less than 2 hours. If DCU does this again, I might reconsider the worth of getting season tickets.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Partyboy with the brace!! 5-2 DCU.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 20, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

How many wings do you get? I wonder if tickets are still available online?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 20, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Well it's now 35-21 Redskins over the Jets, and it definitely sounds like a preseason game.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 20, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

We might need 42; the Pink Cows aint rollin over!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 20, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

uhoh.......this seems to be getting interesting.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 20, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

"Oh -- and Limarzi is absolutely right. It's ridiculous that United fans voted Tino's goal as goal of the week. Eddie Lewis' goal should be the goal of the year, so far. So, you can count me out as far as caring about that competition."

Pontius' nod over DeRo the week before was an even worse travesty, especially since DCU fans SAW BOTH GOALS.

Buncha jock sniffing homer fanboys. Lame.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 20, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Fischy - you meen equilibrium? Equanimity means you're p*ssed.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 20, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Equanimity is defined as evenness of mind, especially under stress -- or balanced, correct disposition. Composure.

Not sure what you're thinking of, Godfather.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

WAXTAP!! United wins!

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey, we're the most powerful voting body in MLS, enjoy it, we give a damn and we bend reality so that Pontius looks... well, better!

But here's what concerns me. We were ahead 4-0. Now, I am ok with that pesky Dane Richards scoring a goal, but we need to figure out how to get a shutout. Sure, I get it, we're king of the shoot out (or at least equal partners).

But it seems that we just love to make things exciting, and frustrating. But if we want to overcome Chivas, or Chicago, or whatever team we meet in the playoffs, we need to be able to keep them off the score sheet. Right now, we're the cowboys of the league (metaphorically, we're not from Dallas).

Let's become a distinguished champion.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 20, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

wow. That was something. Lucky thing Angel wasn't out there.

Anyone still want Janicki to be our center back instead of Jakovic?

I was worried once we took out all of our players with the ability to hold the ball and didn't replace them with anyone that could. Sitting back and defending for the last 20 minutes could have really bitten us.

Our speedy forwards need to be smart enough to not run offside so much.

But I suppose it is hard to be too upset after a victory with so many goals scored.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 20, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

You people are killing me! What's the bloody score?!!

If I don't get an answer soon, somebody's getting WAXTAPed.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 20, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Joedoc -- United won 5-3.

Obviously, I didn't see the game, but it sounds like my boy Janicki didn't do himself any favors. I'd guess Jakovic has the center-back job, now. Pontius might have found himself a good role. Maybe Khumalo might get some chances to play up top.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

2 handballs, including a penalty by Janicki ... and Limarzi said he nearly put one in the net, too.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Janicki played well. That cross was just an awkward deflection off his leg that hit his arm for the penalty. The non-call PK on Pontius' shot later was ridiculous. Wicks looked pretty good despite the 3-0 scoreline. N'Sulu should've gotten credit for an assist on Barklage's goal. He looked pretty good as a big target forward who could hold the ball. I really like all this young talent we have on this team. It was a really fun game to attend especially since some NYRB fans showed up and gave us some people to heckle.

Posted by: CapitolHill1 | May 20, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

fischy - I don't know either. Enmity, maybe. I missed the game too so I must be suffering withdrawal. I won't lay it too thick on Tomato-canicki tonight - I can see where DC needed the extra goalie.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 20, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, fischy.

From 4-0 to 5-3. Sounds like an interesting match.

Indeed, a match to light up Wicks.

Ugh, that was bad, even for me. I'm going to bed.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 20, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

actually Wicks was not so bad. There was only one or two balls that he really misplayed. It was defensive breakdowns that cost the goals.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 20, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I like what the youth is bringing to our team offensively. Been a long time since we've had a crop like this come in. Hopefully, some of them will really blossom, forming the future core of the team, and be here for many years.

Moreno and Olsen are our two players with the most poise under pressure. Losing Olsen is going to hurt, hopefully he'll be back in a month.

We have got to learn over the course of the season how to stop letting in so many goals if we're gonna do anything in the playoffs. Frankly, we don't seem to be making any strides there and I'm concerned.

To end on a positive note, we scored on a corner! Been a few years since we've done that with any kind of regularity. I believe last year we had 1 goal off a corner the entire MLS season (Namoff also had one against Chicago at the Soccerplex in the US Open Cup). Hope to see more!!

Vamos United

Posted by: KireDCU | May 20, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

We got into a scoring frenzy and forgot that the Heifers had some quality players on the pitch who could score also. But by that time it was too late. If Fred hadn't skied that ball from five yards out it would have been 5-0 before the first Heifer goal.

Posted by: b18bolo | May 20, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Hard to take anything away, the competitive part of the match was over so quickly.

Posted by: JkR- | May 20, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article on area youth soccer up on the site:

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 20, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Listened to the first half and a bit of the second on the ol' clock radio in the backyard. I'll take it. Time to get ready for Saturday.

Fischy:the last play in match was at 7pm as well. Don't know why they do that, maybe so everyone can call it a night a bit earlier? Where the heck were you coming from that you had so much trouble?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 20, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

5-3 decision....announced attendance: 5,056. One goal for every 632 people there. Sweet.

Posted by: TheOtherRK | May 20, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Five thousand?!? Does that mean that, since this was "Special Game 2" for STHs, DCU's season ticket base is LESS than five thousand?!? For the most-decorated team in MLS?!?

Or do they just count who passes through the turnstiles?

Posted by: Juan-John | May 20, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Donde esta, Mastodon Juan?

Posted by: silent-bob | May 20, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

@Juan-John
Through the turnstiles. More than 5k season ticket holders. In the "redemption" business model, we call this breakage.

Posted by: TheOtherRK | May 20, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Bethesda -- should have taken the Metro. I missed the bit on the traffic report about Beltway delays, when I made that decision. Then, I heard that Beltway East was really slow, so I went the other way -- I was already committed to the Virginia crossing when I heard that GW Pkwy was backed up by accident. By the time I got near the Chain Bridge exit it was barely moving, and the game had started. So, I got off -- then Chain Bridge was bumper-to-bumper, so I gave up and headed home. It really was a mess in every direction. I wouldn't have made a 7:30 start either, but maybe 8:00.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Man, I dropped a Led Zep reference earlier, and no one caught it.

Posted by: Reignking | May 20, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

ok I'm confused - I thought DCU (and most pro sports teams) attendance numbers were always based on "tickets distributed" rather than "through the turnstiles" - is that incorrect?

Posted by: Pedalada | May 20, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

J-J -- Ya gotta remember that DCU has several classes of plan-holders. Full-season, half-season, and flex. This was a "special game" for only those with half-season Plan B (very few took this plan I'm sure) -- I'm not sure about the full-season ticketholders. It's not such a bad crowd, all things considered -- but I bet they would have had a bigger crowd if they scheduled a later start.

Posted by: fischy | May 21, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

that sucks fischy, but I'm sure you'll be able to justify making another *extra* match later this season. perhaps in the round of 16 in the OC, or...? Champions League?
Metro is choice for a weeknight game, especially a weird 7pm one. I took the Metro to the last one and it was a snap.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 21, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse