MLS Afternoon Updates

*D.C. United midfielder Ben Olsen, who reinjured his hamstring early in Saturday's match, is listed as "out" for Wednesday's U.S. Open Cup play-in game against New York at RFK Stadium. The club is awaiting results of an MRI exam to determine his long-term prognosis. Defender Greg Janicki, who skipped the Chivas trip to recover from a minor ankle injury, is listed as probable.

*Attendance watch: While MLS had decent turnouts, Dallas continues to be a blight on the league landscape -- although I suppose 8,200 is encouraging after a pair of crowds in the 6,000-7,000 range. By comparison, USL1 Montreal drew 12,000 and 11,000 for two home matches in a 48-hour span this past weekend.

*Did Chivas USA take an interest recently in Antonio "Sinha" Naelson, the Brazilian-born ex-Mexican national team midfielder? Just a little buzz around Home Depot Center over the weekend. He'll turn 33 this week and has been with Toluca for 10 years. Not the first time his name has surfaced in MLS circles. Don't expect him to leave Mexico.

*Oh, those wacky guys in Kansas City:

By Steve Goff  |  May 18, 2009; 2:25 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In MLS, All Tied Up
Next: Americans Abroad, Monday Edition

Comments

I wanted waffles this morning. I made waffles this morning. I ate waffles this morning. I used a waffle iron instead of cleats. I am just as likely to buy KC season tickets after eating waffles as I am after seeing that video.

Posted by: sitruc | May 18, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if the DCU/RBNY USOC game will be on TV on Wednesday? Please post if so.

Posted by: joemybro | May 18, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

TV coverage? For what? I thought the Nats were the only pro team in DC now that the Capitals are done.

Posted by: nairbsod | May 18, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Unless it's the Open Cup final, the answer to that question is always no.

Some USL teams stream their games online, but obviously we'd have to be up against one of them for that to work.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 18, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Are the KC Wizards trying to get people to come to their games by making viral videos?
Because if they are, then all the people who show up to the game because of those 31 seconds of prop based comedy are going to be sad to realize that the antics the Wizards display on the field don't correspond to with their off the field antics.
Needless to say they'll still get a cheap laugh by watching the Keystone Cops that are the Kansas City Wizards sloppily slip about the pitch.

Posted by: douglasquaid | May 18, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Is juvenile braggadacio/trash-talking an essential part of having a blog like this? I dug Emilio's goal, but if we had Josh Wolff, we'd have won some of those ties Goff was writing about. The Wiz are alright.

Posted by: fischy | May 18, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Wednesday's game will not be on TV, but I"m sure you can find tickets. If you don't want to pay full freight, check Craig's List. I'm sure there are B" plan-holders that want to unload theirs.

Posted by: fischy | May 18, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

hi!

is this on?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 18, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I am very thankful that the dude just wanted waffles instead of pancakes and was not complaining about too much powdered sugar on his plate ;-)

Most people would have called the waitress over and asked nicely for waffles, the folks in KC do it a bit differently. Ewww. I knew there was a reason I never wanted to go to Kansas.

Posted by: dcufan | May 18, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Damn hope 14 is OK

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 18, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Emilio and Quaranta are both up for Goal of the Week. I guess they want to split our vote so some one else can win.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 18, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steve - just noticed the cumulative player rankings on the side. Pretty cool. Any chance of getting columns to show median and average rankings, perhaps weighted by minutes played?

Posted by: regularfan | May 18, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

ps - the wizards vid actually gave me a chuckle.

Posted by: regularfan | May 18, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm voting for Tino. He assisted on Luci's goal, so that should boost his overall case.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 18, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

FYI (and showing my age), the KC video is derivative of a 30 year old Mad Magazine parody of Alice in which Vera walks on the pancakes in her tennis shoes because the waffle iron is broken.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 18, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Kiss my grits, I-270.

Posted by: Reignking | May 18, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

If it's not Don Martin, it is, by definition derivative.

Posted by: fischy | May 18, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

FCD has one player who might start on another team in the League and a mix of has-beens and hasn't beens. Aren't fans allowed to not go to games because they assume their team is going to lose? (See: Orioles, Baltimore and Nationals, Washington). Isn't that a sign of soccer's acceptance in this country when the quality of the team affects the attendance, no matter how many fireworks they shoot off during a game? It's not that people don't like soccer; they don't like bad soccer.

Posted by: IamAM | May 18, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Conrad is by far the funniest man associated with the National team (and honestly, that's not saying much). He is surprisingly comfortable in front of camera, as his previous stints in video have shown.

We need to lay off this guy. It aint his fault KC is... well, Kansas City.

I'm starting to think that Benny is already an assistant coach; note his trip to the official with Soehn at half time.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 18, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Got to agree with IamAM... you have the right not to pay for mediocrity.

And on a general note, I know that someone has to report on weekly attendance numbers, but do you have to lament it? We are hopefully coming out of the worst recession in decades (R), and more and more people are getting mired in it every day. Kind of explains the lacklustre attendance. Enough already.

Posted by: me_ahogo | May 18, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Soo Sophisticated.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 18, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Santino gotw better chance than emilio but his was good too.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 19, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

@fischy, thanks for the advice on Tix, unfortunately, being in exile in Atlanta means I'd also have to Craigslist up some REALLY cheap airline tix and a couple of days off for Wednesday's tilt. Time to look on the interwebs for an audio feed. How oldschool is that?

Posted by: joemybro | May 19, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse