MLS Observations

*Columbus and New York won on the same weekend? Stop the presses! (If there are any presses left.....)

*Less than two months into the season, five teams already have at least four ties, led by Chicago and Los Angeles with six apiece. United (five) has surpassed last year's season total (four). Overall, 22 of 61 league matches (36 percent) have ended in draws.

*Landon Donovan hasn't been involved in the Galaxy's past two goals after scoring or assisting on the first eight of the season?! Outrageous. Bench him immediately.

*Dallas (1-6-1 in MLS, 1-7-1 overall) hosts Seattle this Saturday night. What is more likely: a FCD victory or attendance surpassing 10,000? Of the 15 goals conceded by Dallas, 12 have come in the second half.

*After six red cards the previous two weeks combined, only one dismissal this past week: Seattle's James Riley for slugging Mike Magee.

So much more on the continuation of this thread.....

*DCU's Chris Pontius kicks Dwayne De Rosario not once, but twice, in the face in the same sequence.

*The goals-against averages for Seattle's Kasey Keller and Chivas USA's Zach Thornton are lower than their respective ages. Keller, 39, has a 0.32 GAA while Thornton, 35, is at 0.33. Next on the MLS leaderboard is Houston's Pat Onstad with a 0.71. He ruins our theme by being only 41.

*In a span of three days, the RSL-Los Angeles and DCU-Toronto matches combined for four goals in added time and six goals in the final eight minutes. United has scored in added time in three of the past five matches.

*Attendance watch: Every match drew at least 11,000.....except New York on Friday night (8,042). The Red Bulls are averaging 9,829, third lowest in the 15-team league. Chicago (11,288 vs. New England) continues to struggle while Seattle continues to soar: 29,025 to leave its season average at 29,536.

*Chivas' 7-1-1 start is tied for second best through nine matches in MLS history since the league began recording ties in 2000. That year, Kansas City began 7-0-2 and a season later Miami was 7-1-1. The common denominator: Preki, who played for those Wizards and Fusion squads and now coaches Chivas.

By Steve Goff  |  May 11, 2009; 11:42 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Barcelona Falters
Next: Americans Abroad, Monday Edition

Comments

I can see the old Man United-hating adage applied to DC: Extra time is the time added to the match until United ties or goes ahead.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 11, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

To be fair to Pontius the second kick to the head was more a matter of wrong place wrong time for DeRo's face as he was falling to the ground, it did not look at all intentional. The first one wasn't intentional either it was a case of dangerous play though.

Posted by: mcontento | May 11, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Any thoughts on why there are so many more ties so far? Will this likely even out over the course of the season?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | May 11, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

word quibble -- "slugging"? -- what is it with soccer players that they feel the need to drop as if they were shot at the least little cuff? Riley would get red whether Magee fell or not. Slugging is what Donald Brashear does, not whatever Riley did. At least they didn't try to kick one other like those girly-man South American futbol "fights."

Posted by: OWNTF | May 11, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

If DeRo keeps trying to bite Pontius' feet, someone's gonna have to slug him.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 11, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I think there are more ties on weeknight matches because of all the (male) fans going directly from work to the games. But maybe there are fewer ties on casual Fridays.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 11, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

LD stopped scoring because I added him to a fantasy team.

Posted by: Reignking | May 11, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF - couldn't agree more! My non-soccer friends call these pathetic tussles "Soccer Fights" and it gives our sport yet another black eye. If you are going to get into someone, get into them! The diving during the games is embarassing enough, do we have to keep watching players stand behind the referee and talk trash and make idle threats to opponents? ENOUGH!

Posted by: sevnshvn | May 11, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Of the 13 goals DCU has allowed, 11 have been in the second half.

Posted by: ncguy | May 11, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Pontius's double kick sequence was unintentional - especially the second one but DeRo is such a monster that was probably the only way you can stop him. His second goal was awesome, he definitely is one of the best players in the league.

Posted by: sbg1 | May 11, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"slugging Mike Magee"..? Give me a break. I'd love to hear what you call it when someone actually intends physical harm, like a punch. If you see the replay, Magee did the same thing to Riley: put his hand on the back of his neck and pull. Only difference is Magee fell like a sack of bricks.

Posted by: nico78 | May 11, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

FEMEXFUT cuts all ties with CONMEBOL? Plusses for Champions League and SuperLiga - Don - get out of Philly and get their folks on the phone - you've got a huge chance to get these two products a shot in the arm!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 11, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Dallas has earned points from only 1 team.... all 4 of its points have come from games against TFC. That's sad, for Dallas, and for TFC.

Posted by: hendrix | May 11, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't think slugging (or whatever you call it) Mike Magee should be considered a foul. Maybe that's just me.

Posted by: TCompton | May 11, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I used to play high school soccer with a guy who employed that James Riley technique. Come on people - if you hit someone with a closed fist in the face in soccer that's a red card (plus a several match ban) even if it is against the LA Galaxy - the most hated team in MLS.

Did Pontius study some sort of martial arts in college?

Posted by: diego_r | May 11, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

don't worry DC will make sure Chivas record dosen't get any better

Posted by: Springfie1d | May 11, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I wish Preki was our coach! The USMNT still has not replaced Preki's left foot...

Posted by: alan19 | May 11, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I would like to point out that every goalie in the league has a GAA lower than their age, including Onstad. .71 is 40.29 lower than 41.

Posted by: uac1530 | May 11, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I-270,

As soon as I hit the submit button, I regretted using the word "ties" as opposed to the correct term, "draws".

Maybe the Post needs to rethink its standings too, as it uses a column headed "T" rather than "D". And should we use the Euro version for standings by going W-D-L, rather than W-L-T? No scarasm here, I think these are questions the Post should consider.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | May 11, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

W-L-T. That's what MLS does. Don't overthink things :)

Posted by: Reignking | May 11, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I accidentally watched a WPS highlight while on soccernet.com.

Why was Sky Blue FC wearing orange, playing against a team wearing sky blue?

Posted by: Reignking | May 11, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Abby Wambach hits harder than James Riley...

{Dives behind couch to avoid flying objects and flames...}

Posted by: Throwin64 | May 11, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

based on Riley and Magee's previous time in NE and NY, respectively, a stupid "fight" couldn't have happened between two better players. Too bad they didn't both get red cards.

Riley and Magee are contenders for the MLS all-time "all whine, no spine" team.

Posted by: CDRHoek | May 11, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Any news on DCU getting a stadium somewhere?

Posted by: fedster | May 11, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

any chance Alecko's hamstring heals in time for the game on Saturday?

Posted by: Pedalada | May 11, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to "The Good, The Bad, and The Coyote Ugly"?

Posted by: goonerunited | May 11, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Boy, MLS stinks - 36.07% of all games end in a draw! That’s why I’m a fan of the EPL. Only 35.47% EPL games end in a draw. That .6% really makes a difference.

Posted by: tkelley55 | May 11, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Next time Pontius scores, I want the following headline:

"Pontius Pilots United to Win"

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 11, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Did Pontius study some sort of martial arts in college?
Posted by: diego_r | May 11, 2009 1:19 PM
====================

Maybe he learned by watching video of Erp-Fu.

@Dougmacintyre: Does it now make sense that my favorite "Airplane" character is Johnny the air-traffic controller?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 11, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Poor Newscastle...

Posted by: Reignking | May 11, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking - I was wondering the exact same thing watching the match on FSC yesterday. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out that the blue team was not Sky Blue FC. and the Red Stars were wearing blue for some reason. I mean, there's only 7 teams, so it should be easy enough to avoid that sort of confusion, right?

I thought the game was rather ugly from a technical standpoint as well.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 11, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Any news on DCU getting a stadium somewhere?

Posted by: fedster | May 11, 2009 2:25 PM
--------------------------------------------

Looks like a nice stadium going up outside Philly, but I guess that one's taken.

Any word on a third Philly jersey?

Posted by: fischy | May 11, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

There's a simple explanation. Both the Sky Blues and the Red Stars were away teams.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 11, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I didn't even think of that -- Red Stars wearing blue. Good thing Sky Blue didn't wear red.

Posted by: Reignking | May 11, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Why can't I see the most recent comments? This happens far too often.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | May 11, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I am partial to W-D-L, since I think of a draw as being between a win and loss. For that matter it bothers me that we here in the US go month/day/year while giving the date numerically. But what really annoys me is when someone programs a car radio with the channels not in numerical order. Anyway, now off to put my CDs in alphabetical order.

Posted by: Dancy1 | May 11, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I think DC United had a very long unbeaten streak in year 2 or 3 IF you discount some of the shootout tiebreakers they lost (in any other league they would have counted as ties). Solely from my own hazy memory I think the team may have avoided defeat -at least in regulation- for over 20 games over 2 seasons. As I recall it came to a crashing halt vs Preki's Wiz when we gave up something like 6 goals.

Could just be time playing tricks on me but it's a good memory.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 11, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Why can't I see the most recent comments? This happens far too often.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | May 11, 2009 3:32 PM

**************************

Doug, I think this blog doesn't automatically refresh so you need to hit the F5 key or reopen your browser.

Could depend on what kind of computer you use. Or what meds you'be been taking.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 11, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alan19 | May 11, 2009 1:21 PM |
---------------------------------------------

Not sure what his left foot has to do with his coaching, but I have predicted here several times that Preki will coach the USMNT someday. He's done an amazing job with Chivas -- last year and this year.

Posted by: fischy | May 11, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

3rd, 1st, and 2nd in the last 3 years for Chivas. That 1st-place team was good but decimated by injuries come playoff time.

Posted by: Reignking | May 11, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Talk about Eastern Conference parity. Check out the records of Eastern Conference teams against themselves:

___________W : L : D - PTs
Toronto--------- 2 : 0 : 2 - 9 Pts
Chicago-------- 1 : 0 : 4 - 7 Pts
DC United----- 1 : 0 : 4 - 7 Pts
Columbus----- 1 : 0 : 3 - 6 Pts
Kansas City--- 1 : 3 : 2 - 5 Pts
New England- 0 : 0 : 3 - 3 Pts
New York------- 0 : 3 : 1 - 1 Pts

**There have been a total of victories, all against two teams (Kansas City and New York).

**Five teams have yet to lose to an Eastern Conference opponent.

**New England's lack of wins could also be blamed on the fact that they have not hosted an Eastern Conference opponent yet.

**While RFK may be considered a tough place to play, United has not defeated an Eastern Conference opponent at home this season. I think this is a big issue and may come back to haunt us later in the year.

**Toronto and United are the only two teams to earn wins on the road against Kansas City and New York, respectively.

Posted by: TCompton | May 11, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Why can't I see the most recent comments? This happens far too often.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre
=======================================

WaPo doesn't like ESPN?

Posted by: J_S_F | May 11, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Why can't I see the most recent comments? This happens far too often.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre
------------------------------------------------

When you've been staring at the screen for awhile, you should blink. It's also a good idea to get up and walk around every half-hour. If that doesn't work, get new glasses, or a new computer.

Posted by: fischy | May 11, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, it's been 7 hours since Goff put up a new post. Why am I scratching so much? For the luvva G-d, where did all these bugs come from? Get me outta here. I can't see the new posts from Goff. Help.

Posted by: fischy | May 11, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Someone musta' gotten into my stash...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 11, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

hey goff, thanks for the stats!

is there a return of the good, the bad and the coyote ugly in the forseeable (sp?) future?

Posted by: Konoha7 | May 11, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Thanks everyone.

I have tried blinking AND hitting the F5 key with no luck. It sometime depends on how I get to the particular post, which is crazy.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | May 12, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse