MLS Ref Suspended 2 Games

Jair Marrufo, the MLS referee who accepted a jersey from Chicago's Cuauhtemoc Blanco after last Saturday's match against Columbus, has been suspended for two games by the U.S. Soccer Federation.

"The initial step in dealing with the situation was to remove Jair Maruffo from his assignment for this weekend," USSF spokesman Neil Buethe said. "After careful consideration, the decision has been made to officially suspend him for this week and the following week."

For more background information from earlier in the week, click here.

What do you think of this mess?

By Steve Goff  |  May 1, 2009; 5:48 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United News & Notes
Next: Saturday Kickaround

Comments

I wish he were suspended for awful officiating, but this is good enough.

Honestly, what an idiot.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 1, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

So USSF said no suspension earlier this week and now he's out for two weeks?

Posted by: addick | May 1, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Univision reporter: "Cuauhtemoc, things really went well for you tonight. How do you think the referee did?"

Blanco: "He was wonderful! I'd give the shirt off my back for him to officiate more of our games."

Reporter: "Would you give the hair off your back, too?"

Blanco: "Most of it is on the shirt."

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 1, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Chairman,

I'd like to move for an extension of his suspension for the rest of the season.

All in favor say, "Aye"

Posted by: carnack | May 1, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Boy, if he is here and we are playing Chicago sure know how that one will come out. Funny, he let the game go in L.A. with our two guys laying on the ground with bloody head wounds.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | May 1, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

It is about time for USSF or MLS OF to do something but this is way after we the fans constantly complaint about those horrible situations. More could have been done but this is at least better than nothing. Believe me I do respect refs who are a quality.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 1, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh, c'mon, he's not a terrible ref, just on the really big decisions....

Posted by: JkR- | May 1, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

if the people in charge of assigning have half a brain there's no way he will be in charge of another Chicago game this year.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 1, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Damn. He;s been hatin' on United forever, and all we had to do was throw jerseys at him! I bet he's got a treasure trove!

Seriously, this is ridiculous. This makes me want to laugh, at grown man who gets caught for keeping a soccer jersey, and cry because I'm laughing so hard inside. I wish one of the games he would miss would be one of ours.

At least he's not the face of MLS refs anymore!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 1, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't see what the problem is it isn't like it's a conflict of interests.

Posted by: bighungry | May 1, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Seriously looks like the USSF is backpedaling from their earlier non-punishment. I don't know if I can say they responded to 'pressure' because there's barely enough national soccer pressure to apply in the US.

If you go to http://fortheintegrityofsoccer.blogs.com you will see a long history of comments and posts about Marrufo's easy life as he's ascended the USSF Ref food chain.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | May 1, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

thanks joedoc, i feel nauseous now.

Posted by: delantero | May 1, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I thought I would watch USL game on FSC but they are playing on the field with helmet wear and run game and it's unwatchable. FSE is replaying barca chelsea ugly game so ends up with Budesliga magazine show.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 1, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Why doesn't Blanco get punished?

Posted by: Kenobi | May 1, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait 'til he refs at RFK again. A cavalcade of jerseys from the stands awaits this buffon.

Just more proof that Marrufo doesn't have the mental capacity to ref at the highest levels.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 1, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

GOOD Jair Marrufo is an egotistical jacka$$@

Posted by: bobfairchild1 | May 1, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I think Marrufo should have been suspended for at least 10 games. Accepting a gift from a player is an unforgivable offense for a professional that exists only in an independent capacity. Had an auditor received gift from a company that brought his independence into question, regardless of intent, then the auditor could lose his CPA license. Why should a referee be held to another standard when the same level of impartiality is expected?

I also think that Blanco should have to provide a signed jersey to every person who attended the game, including all referees, players, fans, officials, and concession employees.

Posted by: TCompton | May 1, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

And Blanco again walks away unscathed.

I hate Blanco, I hate divers, I hate Blanco. US Soccer needs to stomp on MLS's foot and show them that they are the dominant federation in America and do something about Blanco. He is defacing the play of MLS with his antics.

I hate Blanco.

Posted by: adamsunited | May 1, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I agree, Blanco's gotta go...

Posted by: alan19 | May 2, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

WHAT A PILE OF CRAP. NICE WORK JAIR!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 2, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

this seems like at LEAST TWO huge issues in question....not stopping a game with at least two players down with head injuries and now accepting shirts off the back of the most diry players in the league???? Please remove this fudging joke from office. Jair maruuffo or whatever your name is you should be banned for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 2, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

garbage

Posted by: DadRyan | May 2, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

I guess that guy Rome will have something to say about soccer again. I have to remember to be near the remote to switch the channel the next time that guy comes on.

Posted by: MitchTooMuch | May 2, 2009 3:46 AM | Report abuse

How many of those that complain are ready to replace those that they complain about?

Posted by: footballfan9 | May 2, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

El Classico. Down with Madrid, Inter and Chelsea.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 2, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I think Blanco knew exactly what he was doing - he wants to start casting doubt about the league and what better way to do it. He's already made his contempt well known. Why MLS brought him here in the first place is beyond me.

As far as Marrufo is concerned, he should spend the rest of the season running along the sidelines with a flag in his hands. No way he should be the ref with cards in his pocket.

Posted by: roadkit | May 2, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Lots of blame here. Ref liason/stadium security should have never let Blanco near the referee locker room after the game was over. Referee just plain dumb for keeping the shirt. The rest of his crew should also have helped him make the right decision to give shirt to team and report infraction. Blanco is a clown and is also, IMHO, a serial offender with no reasonable likelihood of rehabilitation. But he puts fannies in the stands and, unfortunatley, MLS front office will to some extent look the other way as a result. If you think refereeing lacks quality, go become one, then let us know later how easy it is not.

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | May 2, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Boggles my mind that once again, Blanco gets through this with not so much as a slap on the wrist. MLS is a joke.

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | May 3, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"I also think that Blanco should have to provide a signed jersey to every person who attended the game..."
I was there, I'd take that jersey. I have a toilet that needs cleaning.

Posted by: mrovick | May 3, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse