Olsen Out 3-4 Weeks

If you were on the Insider's first-alert Twitter feed, you would have known a half-hour ago that.....

D.C. United midfielder Ben Olsen, who aggravated a hamstring injury in the opening moments of Saturday's match at Chivas USA, will be sidelined three to four weeks, General Manager Dave Kasper said this morning.

"It's part of the process -- you are going to lose guys here and there throughout the course of the season," Coach Tom Soehn said. "The reason for keeping everyone involved is for situations just like this so it doesn't fall off much. What you lose by not having Benny, you get different qualities from someone else. You evaluate every game, what best suits that game you are playing. We have had a lot of guys shuffle in and out of there, and it will be time for someone else to take over and grow a little bit more."

Andrew Jacobson, the first-year MLS player who was in France last season, is the top candidate to replace Olsen. However, Devon McTavish is also in the mix.

Jacobson "has done well," Soehn said. "One of Andrew's stronger suits is the ability to get in the attack. We have focused a lot on the defensive side on the game, which isn't one of his strengths. But now he has really absorbed that role and forgotten that he can attack. So we are going to push him to be a two-way player a little bit more."

Much more on Olsen in Wednesday's print edition (available online this evening).

What's your reaction to Olsen's lengthy absence and Soehn's options?

By Steve Goff  |  May 19, 2009; 12:11 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Kickaround
Next: Wicks's Turn?

Comments

I would agree that defending is not one of Jacobson's strengths. I just haven't seen the offensive skills yet. I expect we'll see a lot more of McTavish.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I thought McTavish improved quite a bit last year, and I would like to see him on the field more. Jacobson has been unimpressive so far.

Off the subject, I very much want to see Avery John start tomorrow night.

Posted by: granadoskerry | May 19, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Olsen out for injury - not a surprise this season

Olsen out for something other than ankles - more of a surprise

DCU will learn to live without Ben's on-field presence, and DCU must develop that ability to win sans Ben immediately. Otherwise Ben the half-coach will come storming off the bench and really give it to someone....

Posted by: 22206no1 | May 19, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Blahhh...why did we start him on Saturday? If anything Benny needs to be given extra time for any injuries, to ensure this doesn't happen.

Especially the way that this team collects hamstring injuries, I would think that at a spot with depth like defensive midfielder we would give Ben an extra week to make sure everything is fine.

That said I think we'll be OK. But we'd better make sure he's 100% before putting him back out there.

Posted by: the_slammer | May 19, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Its been pretty clear that Jacobson has been hamstrung by Soehn though. He has come up a bit but you can see he turns and helps out pretty quickly. When he goes forward, you hear Soehn yelling at him to get back. Soehn has been talking back and forth all year. I don't really believe him much anymore. He did the same thing with Wallace.

Posted by: jsm3 | May 19, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Losing guys here and there is one thing, but when it's the same guys...

Posted by: sitruc | May 19, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Check out Dan Steinberg on his Bog chat today:

"No one's ever asked me exactly why I'm so much of a jerk about the Nats, especially vis a vis other local teams. I don't really know the answer, and I realize that you didn't ask, either. But I think it does have something to do with DCU in my mind. I was extremely excited when the Nats were awarded to DC; I followed all the news intently and, since I wasn't writing about pro sports at the time, I sort of told myself I'd be allowed to become a Nats fan. But that never happened, and then it became obvious that DCU was going to be condemned to remain in that mess of a stadium, and while that isn't exactly the fault of any of the people in that franchise, the issues got mixed up in my head.

D.C. United has a history in this town, and a record of success, and just a terrific fan base, and that a team without any of those things would be gifted a massively expensive stadium while the other guys get stuck in Hades has definitely colored everything I write about the Nats. That's what I'll say if anyone asks me why I'm such a jerk. "

Bring it cheese boy!

Posted by: JkR- | May 19, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm comfortable with Jacobson and McTavish stepping into that role. It won't be like having Benny out there, but neither one makes me nervous. I hope that Ben's there watching them at practice and at games to debrief afterwards - he has great soccer smarts and knows the position so well. D-Mid 101 - Professor Olsen.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow night, getting the young guys more playing time, and beating down the Red Bulls.

Posted by: eadc | May 19, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

When he goes forward, you hear Soehn yelling at him to get back.

Posted by: jsm3 | May 19, 2009 12:41 PM |
---------------------------------------------

You must be sitting on the quiet side.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

A DCU hamstring injury? Unthinkable.

Posted by: Reignking | May 19, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

McTavish was good early on last year, but seemed to lose focus around late July-ish (coinciding with the end of that win streak). Jacobson is... well...

...

BRING BACK OLSEN! :cries:

Posted by: iammrben1 | May 19, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I like McTavish there. I like his grit and his instincts. Always thought he was better d-mid than d-back.

Sounds like they see an upside in Jacobsen and are playing him to help him develop. Seems to me we are already doing that with Wallace and Pontius, and perhaps Kocic. I'm all for developing the young guys, but not all at once . . . except perhaps in non league games, like tomorrow.

Posted by: regularfan | May 19, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Well I certainly hope that the last game was the exception for Jacobson because I thought he was quite awful in it. I was actually fairly optimistic about him joining the squad this year based on the fact he had a year of European football under his belt. I liked the fact that he was good enough to get a contract over there but when it did not work out he came back home and joined the MLS. I hope that he starts showing some of that ability that made in a DCU draft pick in the first place and caught the eye of his former French team. All that said, I think we will be ok. While we definitely have a crispness of play when Benny is in there we now do have a bunch of pieces that we can swap in and out that we did not have last year.

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 19, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow! TwitterPost beats Postdotcom by 30 minutes. I foresee the end of the on-line, >140 character news industry.

What's Post's business model for Twitter?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 19, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I watched Night at the Museum on a plane last night. If they ever make "Ben Olsen the Movie, the lead has to be played by Ben Stiller. There is something about the crazy intensity in both Bens that makes me think "separated at birth".

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 19, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

The best part of this thread was that it went a full hour before anyone misspelled Jacobson's name. I think that's a new record for him.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Not it! I went back and checked and I did spell it correctly :)

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 19, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I lived in Minnesota too long and was converted from the "-son" to the "-sen." The baptism through the ice-fishing hole was the worst part.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 19, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I thought losing your hockey team a few years back would have been enough of a baptism.

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 19, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

UGH. Saw this coming all year. I love Benny, obviously, but I think it's time for him to retire and join the coaching staff.

Posted by: adamsunited | May 19, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Does Open Cup allow more than three subs? I can't remember.

As for D-mid in league matches, whoever lines up better with Simms, obviously. But Jacobsøn's new, and McTavish hasn't played much, so there'sno easy answer.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 19, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

What's Post's business model for Twitter?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 19, 2009 1:15 PM
======================

USA Today

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 19, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

@adamsunited

Why? Because he has a balky hamstring? If that were the rubric for players retiring and joining the staff, Benny would be head coach and 'Tino, Fred, Peralta, and Vide assisting.

Posted by: the_slammer | May 19, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Rongen (who coached him at the U-something level) was hyping Jacobson's outside shooting during the KC game 2 weeks ago.

I hope Jacobsen will be good for a dangerous shot on goal from the 25-35 yard range every 90 minutes or so. Keeps defenses honest and means they can't all gang up on our most likely attackers.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 19, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Godfather,

Open Cup games allow a 4th sub.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 19, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I think the USOC changed this year, and is only allowing 3 subs.

Posted by: Reignking | May 19, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

I appreciate the Twitter feeds, however, wouldn't it be even better if you sent individual emails to Insider loyalists?

Of course, don't include any silly nonsense, like discussions on music, pop culture or personal insights on the news of the day that everyone enjoys. This is a soccer blog!

Don't bother responding. I'm not reading I'm not reading [eyes covered] I'm not reading I'M NOT READING!!! LOL! DOD! F16! B2B! F117! F22! F35! M1A!

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 19, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"I'M NOT READING!!! LOL! DOD! F16! B2B! F117! F22! F35! M1A!"

Post of the year.

Posted by: Colm1 | May 19, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Unless Soehn has a mind to start playing Avery John, Olsen's injury ought to make him think about switching back to a 4-4-2 to get Burch in a more natural role and Janicki on the field.

Posted by: benonthehill | May 19, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

What's Post's business model for Twitter?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 19, 2009 1:15 PM

...a multi-page article in the Style section today about twitter lit, bringing the whole thing back to the print edition (I-270 has constructed a quality tweet, according to the article, though JoeDoc seems to be the only ripple in the online community).

Posted by: MrKrys | May 19, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I'd feel much better having McTavish in than jacobson. that being said id like to see us go with a 4-1-2-1-2.

---------Moreno--Emillo-------
------------------------------
------------Gomez-------------
Fred----------------------Tino
------------------------------
wallace-janicki-jakovic-namoff

Posted by: xiopik | May 19, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Is that the Missing Man formation?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 19, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

ahhh forgot to put simms in at D mid!

Posted by: xiopik | May 19, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Forgot this aircraft.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 19, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Simms rod come out of the custom DCU foosball table?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 19, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Actually I think the Open Cup match will allow 4 subs tomorrow night. That's what they had available in the last match.

What ever #8's name is, he's got a rifle of an outside shot, unfortunately every single one he's gotten off has gone wide left. He's admitted it himself, somewhere... maybe it's the shoes?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 19, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

---------Moreno--Emillo-------
------------------------------
------------Gomez-------------
Fred----------------------Tino
------------------------------
------------Simms-------------
------------------------------
wallace-janicki-jakovic-namof

there a I fixed it! my bad =)

Posted by: xiopik | May 19, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

#8 is Jâcöbsøn.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 19, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree with xiopik - go bac to 4 in the back; one defensive mid and put Gomez in as attacking mid. Better formation; better players on the pitch.

Posted by: Beckster1 | May 19, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Goff often tweets(I hate that word) before the posts here. It leads me to hitting refresh continuously until there is an update.

On the subject of birds, it's hard to concentrate on work when the Blue Angels are flying around. That probably has something to do with me being outside of the office watching them practice.

Posted by: sitruc | May 19, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

In this lineup how do you manage Gomez's and Moreno's minutes. Conventional wisdom is that neither can go a full 90 regularly. To get Gomez out do you bring Pontius in on the wing and move Fed inside. Do you sub in Pontius for Moerno?

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 19, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I still like the 3-5-2, and I haven't been sold on Jacobson all year. Simms also has a killer long-range blast, when he lets it fly. For the Open Cup game, I say:

-----Quaranta---Pontius-----

--------Barklage---------

Wallace-------------Fred

----Simms----McTavish-----

John-----Janicki-----Namoff

-----GK du jure-----

Give some of the first-teamers a break before RSL on Saturday (especially the older ones), but keeps the system we've been using all year. We have 4 subs, so we can always bring in Moreno, Emilio, and Gomez off the bench in the second half and still have a sub to spare on Khumalo, Jacobson, or Burch.

Posted by: TheAMT | May 19, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree that having both moreno and gomez on could be a problem. you could move tino up top with emilo and bring on pontius. there are many other player combinations that can work for the attacking players. i was more concerned with the formation and the defensive players.

Posted by: xiopik | May 19, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I like TheMT's lineup for weds with one change. i would keep Emilio in as a starter. He seems to be a bit of a streaky player and I think he is playing fairly well at the moment so I would not want to disrupt his rhythm. My inclination is to keep Pontius in because he is a rookie that is playing well and I think it is good for his continued development. This is not a critique of or Quaranta. he is also playing quite well, but since he is a veteran i would give him the rest.

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 19, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"LOL! DOD! F16! B2B! F117! F22! F35! M1A!"

One of these things just doesn't belong here
One of these things is not quite the same...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 19, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Tank you, SportzNut21.

Speaking of Benny... with his bad hamstring and all, no doubt he'll be spending time in a whirlpool.

What song is it you want to hear?

"Benny and the Jets"

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 19, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

What song is it you want to hear?
"Benny and the Jets"
Posted by: joedoc1 |
================

If any post were ever cause for clicking the "Report abuse" link, this sacrilegious entry would be it.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 19, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Not the "not quite the same" I was thinking of -- "F117" has four characters, everything else is three.

You're welcome...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 19, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

For those who disagree with Posted by: adamsunited | May 19, 2009 1:39 PM

Hey kids, plug into the faithless
Maybe they're blinded
But Bennie makes them ageless
We shall survive, let us take ourselves along

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 19, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse