Olsen's Thoughts

D.C. United's Ben Olsen, sidelined three to four weeks with a hamstring injury, tells the Insider this evening that "this one is on me -- it's my fault. In the past, I pushed myself and it worked out. This time, I pushed myself too far."

To recap: Olsen initially injured himself against Dallas on May 2 and departed early in the second half. He skipped the next two matches and then had three good training sessions last week. Six minutes into last Saturday's visit to Home Depot Center for a showdown with Chivas USA, he aggravated the hamstring.

The medical staff "probably would've advised me not to play, but I'm always pushing the envelope, gotten through it and helped the team. This time, I hurt the team" because a substitution was required so early in the match, he added.

More.....

"It was okay throughout the week. The difference between practice and the game, the speed of play and the demands, I thought I could handle it. Sometimes I want to play too badly."

Olsen had an MRI exam yesterday and received the results last night. The team announced the findings today.

"It was not much of a surprise. I knew it would keep me out for a while."

Beyond the three-to-four-week timetable, he didn't want to set a target date for a return.

"Hopefully, it will be three weeks."

By Steve Goff  |  May 19, 2009; 6:41 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Garber Addresses Officiating
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

"Sometimes I want to play too badly." Heart of a lion. Get well soon Benny!

Posted by: Truck | May 19, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Olsen's grit and determination may not always help him but it's why we'll always want him on our team.

Posted by: Curious99 | May 19, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ben, everybody loves you man but it's over. The body quit on you and now the mind has to catch up. Too much money against the cap for a part time player. Hope you stay with organization in some way.

Posted by: euroman | May 19, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but as he admits, he hurt the team. He should have recognized the situation and put the team ahead of his desire to play he was not ready. Now he is out a month plus. However, its the job of the coach to manage his players and to put team needs over individual desires. Its natural for any determined player to believe they can go when they really can't. That is one of the reasons that we have coaches. I put Olsen's start up there with the fiasco a few weeks back when he made he ran out of subs as a result of submitting a sub's name to the ref at halftime before another player told him later during half time that he could not go. All of this resulted in having to leave a badly cramping Moreno on the field because we where out of subs. Its all bad player mgmt.

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 19, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Come on nyjler1, Simms shoulda been more aware and snapped out of his quiet guy act and told Tommy he was too sick to play sooner. You gotta admit it's not every day that Simms can't go. Plus what the hell do we know about what exactly is going on in the locker room. Maybe Simms was too busy sitting on the can to tell Tommy how he felt and the sub was made. Either way, I think everyone jumping on Soehn because his PROS are not acting like pro's is getting old this year.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 19, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

IN other words, I think blaming Tommy for Ben's desire overriding his better judgement is a little lame. Soehn isn't doing that bad this year. Knock on wood;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 19, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

We dont know what the conversations were like in the locker room last week or how Ben looked in training. If Soehn directly asked benny and he looked him in the eye and said he could go, then it is on Benny. If soehn did not directly ask him then it is on tommy. As a coach you have to ask the player directly.You cant just rely on what you see in training. Most pros learn how to sneek their way through training to make a roster.

Posted by: jjfooty | May 19, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

""Hey Ben, everybody loves you man but it's over.""

Uh, right. You must have missed his game tying goal against the Revs?

Per Goff . . he had 3 good training sessions after sitting out 2 games . . seems to me like he'd be ready to go . .

in the end this is really no big deal, Ben will be back . . we'll just get McTBone ready and amped to take over at high energy D Mid for a spell.

Who's going to yell at opposing players though?

Posted by: delantero | May 20, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Everyone rips on Coach Soehn last year cause he is not top of the league. Now, everyone rips on him cause he is one of the hottest teams in the league, but he is not handling his players right. Looks like he has, figuring Ben is out for 3 weeks. Wow, tons of options. His coaching technique is making all the other coaches shat their pants. Solid team, solid subs. All has to do with coaching. Sorry for you know it alls that think one of the top teams this year should be better coached. Get your under 8 squad to the league finals, then maybe you could comment.

Sick of the couch coaches that never touched a soccer ball

Posted by: markt6 | May 20, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

For the record i do not think that I have ever criticized Soehn before. I think he gets a bum wrap by many on this blog. Last year was dreadful mainly because of the players we had. This year things are going pretty well. However, when Olsen admit that if the decision had been left to the medical staff he would not have played it begs the question what was the coach doing.

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 20, 2009 2:14 AM | Report abuse

I don't blame Tommy if Ben said he was okay to go, and he trained all week. I don't blame Ben for thinking he could go.

The concern I have is it seems from the quotes above that the training staff was not at all involved in deciding whether Ben was good to go. That surprises me greatly, I thought they had some say in everyone who started, ESPECIALLY ones coming off of injuries.

What's up with that Steven? Can you shed more light in a future post about how the training staff is (or is not) involved in clearing players to start?

Posted by: dcufan | May 20, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. But Isn't it the job of the coach to make sure that they are consulted?

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 20, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse