Poll: D.C. United Will.....

Every vote counts:

By Steve Goff  |  May 6, 2009; 12:25 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: Euro Matchday: Chelsea-Barcelona

Comments

How was the trip?

Posted by: sitruc | May 6, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

While I'm encouraged by the quality of soccer DCU has played recently, I voted for a "loss." Here's why:
--No Olsen
--Unsettled GK situation
--on the road
--KC has had time off and Onalfo is a clever guy, he'll come up with a game plan that creates some challenges for us in the first half.

Posted by: JoeW1 | May 6, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Short week, small pitch, missing Olsen...loss 2-1.

Posted by: Reignking | May 6, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

The #1 team in the Eastern Conference should win every match, right? ;)

But honestly, a road match missing 3-5 of our regular starters against a pretty good team, I would be satisfied with a point. I voted for a tie.

Posted by: DCUMD | May 6, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

DC's been pulling themselves together lately, even when Benny takes a break. And I don't think they're done yet. Definitive win.

Posted by: -rke- | May 6, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

1-1 draw is my vote (voted with the head, not the heart). Maybe DC's goal comes from Quaranta, who needs to redeem himself after the Dallas match.

Posted by: BaltoFan | May 6, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

small pitch cancels out the age factor and maximizes our ability to move the ball in tight spaces with Jaime and Emilio. defense is playing well, and if we can keep Arnaud off the board, we should be fine.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | May 6, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Never ask me whether United will win. vs Chelsea? Absolutely. vs. the Spanish national team? Well, I would lie.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 6, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Good answer, United Demon.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 6, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know where it'll be covered I don't see it on channelsurfing?

Posted by: bighungry | May 6, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

That link should work, though it usually doesn't go live until about 10 minutes into the match bighungry.

Posted by: PEddy | May 6, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

JoeW1:

Onalfo is usually pretty sharp, but last year Soehn caught him completely off guard with an unexpected lineup at home (the first time we used the Vide-Simms central midfield). Onalfo didn't make the proper adjustments until halftime, by which point we were 1-0 up and playing the game on our terms. We won 2-0, despite starting a center back pairing of McTavish and Pat Carroll, and with available subs like Thompson and Kirk.

Still, this is a tricky game. KC is playing well of late, and their ability to swap positions on the fly (their entire front six is comprised of guys who play, at minimum, 2 positions, and most play more) is becoming more apparent. Our hardworking players are going to need to out-hustle their opposing numbers as well as keep their discipline and shape. Communication about those position swaps will be key for us.

Our keeper situation is worrying, with Crayton in worse form than last year and Kocic not convincing either. Lucky for us, KC doesn't rely much on high crosses (with Wolff and Lopez probably the least physically intimidating forward pair in MLS). They're more likely to play low crosses, which in turn leave our keepers little choice but to hold their line. This is probably to our benefit.

Going forward, I think we can create chances. KC's defense is not poor, but they're not that good either. The Wizards are a bit vulnerable on the flanks (where neither Watson nor Besler is a natural fit) and could also be pretty weak between the lines (especially if Jewsbury isn't over his concussion). I'm assuming Gomez, now that he's off the injured list, will be good to go; his play will be crucial.

I don't make game predictions due to a superstition dating back to the Hudson era, but I will say that I see a game with 4 or more goals in it. It's mostly a hunch more than anything else, but I feel like this will be an exciting affair. Hopefully,

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 6, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse