Poll: Euro Final

Though the Barcelona-Manchester United showdown at the UEFA Champions League final in Rome is still two weeks away, I have to ask.....

By Steve Goff  |  May 13, 2009; 11:57 AM ET
Categories:  Euro Champions League
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: Club vs. Country, WPS Version

Comments

Posted by: OWNTF | May 13, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

With both teams at full strength, I'd go for Barca...but with their back line in tatters, I'm thinking Man U.

Posted by: icehippo | May 13, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Neutral ground. Going with Barca.

Unless Man Utd. wins. Then I'm going with them.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 13, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I HATE to say it, but I see Man U being able to keep Barca from playing their style, rather than Barca being able to play their way around (or through) Man U, or even being able to adapt to the English style.

Hopeful I am, however, for a 2-1 Barca win.

Posted by: BaltoFan | May 13, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Barca's injuries will affect the team, but I'm not sure that ManUtd isn't just a better team. They have dominated against better opposition, in my opinion. Barca's goal-scoring is very impressive, but I'm not convinced La Liga has the defense you see in the EPL.

Posted by: fischy | May 13, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Man Utd. No contest.

Posted by: Eric_in_Baltimore | May 13, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Who do I want to win? or who probably will win?

My heart says Barca. But unfortunately I am afraid ManU will win.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 13, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I love watching Barca, but the whining they have done recently about their opponents not playing right dounds too much like El Tri.

I therefore shun them.

Man Utd 3-1

Posted by: JkR- | May 13, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Inter was one of the few teams to play them even, on any level. If Ibramovich was even capable in scoring in the Champions League, it would have bee close.

If I'm not mistaken, Iniesta, Henry, Marquez, and Abidal can't play. Barca need all hands on deck, in both departments. Messi has shown nothing in recent matches to indicate that he will be effective against Man U. I'd love Barca to win, or at least give them a run, but don't see it happening.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 13, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

It's very tough for a team to retain the CL title, and I believe this is the first time a team will have a chance to do so since Juventus in 1997. AC milan in '89 were the last team to successfully retain it.

United have a much better squad without question; from the back all the way to the front. However, that last gasp goal from Iniesta against Chelsea makes it as if Barça are destined to win it. This is also Messi's big game to show that he may well be better than Ronaldo.

My head and heart says Man. United, but it seems the "football gods" have other things in mind.

Come On United!

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 13, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Joe Doc. After 90+ minutes of torrid, end-to-end football, that balances muscular brutishness with melodic fluidity, one team will emerge the victor. And that team will be...

the one with more goals.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 13, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

@I-270. Bold prediction. I'm thinking we might be looking at 120+ minutes....

Posted by: fischy | May 13, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

The Ronaldos 3, the Messis 1. ManU scores early, nurses the lead most of the game, then breaks it open when Barca has to push forward. Surprise man of the match will be Michael Carrick.

Posted by: Throwin64 | May 13, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I also hope for the Spanish to win, but think the English will pull it out. That said, you have to favor Barca if they can find a way to play their offense, which most say will be hard, but then again, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAn7baRbhx4

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 13, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

One look at my user ID and you'll know who I'm supporting. I will be at United v. Arsenal on Saturday and with any luck will see the trophy presentation.

C'mon the Reds!

Which reminds me: DadRyan, did you say size 3T for LilRyan's United tee shirt?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 13, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

@JacobfromAtlanta-ish: [Read in a middle schooler's voice] Oooooooooooooo. You called them "Spanish."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 13, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Well, I couldn't find a video of someone warning against the Catalian inquisition.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 13, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I-270. Don't be spoil sport. Let him Basque in his glory.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 13, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

ManU will win. If both teams are at full strength, the game is close and could go either way. But Barca has too many people out for the game for it to be close.
Abidal, Alvez, Marquez (not necessarily a bad thing), Iniesta (maybe), Henry.

Barca's back line will likely be Sylvinho, Pique, Caceres (?), Puyol
Sylvinho and Caceres will get torn up by ManU.

I also don't see ManU letting Barca play their game...ManU is just too well organized and coached.

Posted by: bigbadbri | May 13, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Barcelona has better beaches, Ferran Adia and better architecture, but Man utd has a better team at every position. devils, 3-1

Posted by: joshuaostevens | May 13, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I voted Man United. Why? Well because I am a die hard fan for starters.

But from an objective POV one must consider Barca's suspensions and injuries, which will leave them hurting for starting talent. Can the bench do it in such a massive game? Possible. It's been done before, but I find it unlikely in this game.

Then there is this whole issue of Barca finding it very hard to breakdown physical opponents (see English sides). It was quite evident in Man United's success against them last year, and also in the Chelsea match-up. It was echoed in the numerous mentions of Chelsea "destorying the match" and "not playing football" or the best coined "anti-football" from the previous round. They appear to have great difficulty with physical teams that close down space rapidly and have termendous speed to apply the bunker-to-counter in 7 sec technique. If Pep thought Potato "killed the game" wait until he meets SAF.

Barca is at a huge disadvantage, which sucks, but I still take this final over the snooze fest that would have been United-Chelsea Part Deux and a half. I see a shut-out (not sure by how many goals) with this one over in regulation.

COME ON UNITED! COME ON YOU REDS! VIVA RONALDO!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 13, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Well in, K.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 13, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Look at the picture at elmundo.es -- Barca arriving amongst thousands of Basque flags.

Posted by: Reignking | May 13, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

BlackandRedRedDevil: LilRyan is growing like a weed. She's fitting in some 2t stuff at the moment, but will be well into 3T any minute now... Arsenal huh? She's kind of got a thing for Fabergas;-)

Is Iniesta really out for the Final? I'm afraid that Barcelona is going to have a tough time with their missing defenders. I just don't want a blow out. Gimme some goals and something to keep me on the edge of my seat and I'll be happy either way.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 13, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Barca with trophy #1 today. Next one, this weekend...

Posted by: Reignking | May 13, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Man U will win. Why? Because I got 10 bucks on that so they better. 10 bucks is 10 red box rentals.

Posted by: KG118 | May 13, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Barca fan but I think Man U will take this one. Too many injuries and suspensions will wreck the chemistry that is needed to play Barca's style at a high level. I'd say it's an even contest if Barca is full strength, but they'll be far from it.

Also, Iniesta is trying to recover in time for the final (the news I read said a 2 cm muscle tear).

Posted by: Mongoose714 | May 13, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse