Poll: MLS Part II

After eight weeks.....

By Steve Goff  |  May 12, 2009; 3:44 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United News & Notes
Next: Americans Abroad, Tuesday Edition

Comments

LA should be an option because they should have 0 points without Beckham.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 12, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Hahnemann is not having a good night (though they don't seem to be his fault)...

Goal - Reading 0 Burnley 1 (Martin Paterson 51)

Goal - Reading 0 Burnley 2 (Steven Thompson 58)

Posted by: Kev29 | May 12, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why everyone is voting for Seattle. I expected them to be good so their performance hasn't been a surprise.

I-270Exit1, why did you think we would have zero points without Beckham. I expected us to be better without him. I think we'll only get worse when he returns.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | May 12, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Because I'm a smart-ass.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 12, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree -- Seattle had the makings all along. For me, the biggest, pleasant surprise has been DC United. I think the defense is much improved -- and better overall health has helped. The biggest improvements on offense have to be increased toughness and possession (don't miss Gallardo). As far as personnel go -- on offense, the biggest changes are the growth of Quaranta as a playmaker, and the addition of Chris Pontius.

Posted by: fischy | May 12, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I agree. It's United so far.

Posted by: blackandred777 | May 12, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Seattle has been lucky and coached fairly well, not to mention they've got a pretty solid keeper.It's also a hard stadium to visit especially with all the *crowd noise* that they pipe in through the PA system...

I'm most pleasantly surprised by United's start to the season. I'd trade hungry attacking players over creaky, overpriced South American imports that ended up wasting an entire season with their BS.

I voted for Colorado. I never would have thought they'd have more points than New England, New York, Columbus, and RSL at this point in the season.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 12, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I went with Chivas. United, especially the young part of the roster, has been a pleasant surprise, but some of the good results have come from the people we expect to step up (Jaime, Benny, Gomez). The Goats, meanwhile, are running away with the league with a bunch of no-names and journeymen.

Posted by: Kenobi | May 12, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Chivas. No way I expected them to have a record of 7-1-1 at this point.

Of course maybe subconsiously I'm just saying that because I'm stoked to be heading out to the game this weekend. Who knows.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 12, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I voted Chivas as well - definitely a surprise (and I'm still not convinced they'll stay on top for long).

I've been pretty bullish on DC's chances this year, so top of the east doesn't surprise me at all. And I think they get better as the year goes on (though they really need to work out the keeper situation).

For DC, look at '09 as an extension of '07 rather than '08. This year is basically 2007's league-topping team, plus new blood and an attitude.

Yes, I'm a homer. But everyone has been talking about pulling DCU out of last year's gutter as if we had the same roster. 2008 was the anomaly, both in performance and personnel.

Posted by: -rke- | May 12, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Lucky you Poopster. Aside from Emo getting the weekend off it is bound to be quite a show!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 12, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Crowd noise piped through the PA in Seattle? Better put Crayton in goal for that one, we know how Kocic doesn't like crowd noise. Or maybe he'll thrive with hostile noise???

Posted by: mbetka23 | May 13, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse