Poll: United's Keepers

You've seen Josh Wicks start two league matches and one U.S. Open Cup game. You've watched rookie Milos Kocic do the same. You've observed Louis Crayton handle six league outings. You've seen quality moments and uneasy sequences for each goalkeeper. And through it all, you've watched D.C. United lose just one of its first 12 matches (5-1-6). This goalie competition is sure to continue for several more weeks, perhaps months. But at this point.....

By Steve Goff  |  May 21, 2009; 7:02 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: United's Play-In Victory
Next: USSF's Offside Ruling

Comments

You should close this poll for comments so that some idiot doesn't write "Marcus Hahnemann."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 21, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Marcus Hahnemann

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 21, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why the management doesn't give Crayton as No 1. I don't have any confident in Wicks. Kocic is ok but needs to improve communication skills. Let Crayton play his game rather than too much coaching that eventually kills anyone. If MGMT has absolutely no confidence then put Kocic in consistently.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 21, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

i'm with DCUF. if Crayton won't be kept, then let Kocic have a run at it from now through the end of June or so and see how he does (with an option to abort if he kick starts a losing streak). if he holds his own and shows some improvement, then maybe this issue gets put to bed. i'm not sure how it's going to be resolved by constantly rotating guys and not letting any one of them get in a rhythm with the defense.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 21, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

If we are playing a must win game tomorrow, I choose Crayton.

I reserve the right to change my mind in August.

I doubt it would ever be Wicks, but I have no problem keeping him as a backup.

Posted by: JkR- | May 21, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Heh, heh, I commented one way and voted another....

Posted by: JkR- | May 21, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Nice work 270.

I can't bring myself to vote for any of them. They all have the quality of making me nervous every time the ball's in the box. You never know what will happen. Is Crayton going to punch this one clear? Is this the cross that Kocic will drop? Is Wicks going to stay on his line this time?

As I've said before, I'm against the keeper rotation. Keepers, like strikers, thrive on confidence. The rotation is not building confidence for any of the three (which probably has something to do with their continued unreliable performances). I'm pretty sure Crayton and Kocic are both better than Wicks, but beyond that it's time to pick one keeper and let him build some self-belief and even arrogance. If you've ever talked to a keeper who starts to get really confident, they almost believe that they will never be beaten by any shot ever. It's ludicrous, obviously, but a keeper that starts to get himself to believe that is always better than one who goes into games wondering what mistake it'll be that gets him benched next week.

If Crayton's our best keeper, start Crayton for several weeks in a row. Remember, when he came in and got a couple shutouts, he was a demonstrably better keeper than he is right now, when he has no certainty in his position. If he and Kocic are even, then a) Crayton's time here is limited and b) we need to start Kocic. Get him the games he needs to become a solid professional, as well as the confidence that leads to good form.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 21, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 21, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd say Crayton right now is just a small-step above Kocic, however, with Crayton's contract ending this summer, and him not convincingly clinching the #1 GK spot, I'd give Kocic the keys to the VeeDub.

He's got far more upside, and I really don't think there's any dropoff from Crayton to him.

It'd also be nice to get a solid MLS Veteran keeper to be Kocic's backup/mentor.
I have absolutely ZERO confidence in Wicks.
He's a Galaxative-reject FFS.

Posted by: alecw81 | May 21, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Marcus Hahnemann!

Chest Rockwell speaks the truth on this one.

Soccer is a mental game, you build this belief that a keeper is a number one and he will drastically improve. Example:

Paul Robinson, two years ago accused of being fat and terrible. Dropped from the England and Tottenham side after a few shaky performances. Brought to Blackburn where Sam Allardyce promptly declared him Englands best and look at his performances of late. (I wish not so start a debate trying to figure out if Paul Robinson is a good goalie. Simply I wish to explain how once given confidence and a string of games he reached is top form again)

With all that I voted Crayton

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 21, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

We're not getting professor H.

I wish this was a real competition; if every keeper's ability were 25% better, then this would be an exciting question. Right now, we're asking whether Larry, Curly, or Moe is least funny.

I picked Kocic, to get the Crayton question answered, and off our roster sooner rather than later.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 21, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I voted not taking into account the contract situation. If that was taken into account I might lean towards Kocic. Plus he is young and could improve. Man I am wishy washy

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 21, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, and don't criticize our keeper, because then he'll start playing poorly.

Would you like chicken with a side of egg? But which shouls I serve first?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 21, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Crayton is a so/so keeper that we are paying 10 times the amount to Kocic. In addition, he has played for many years and its unlikely you'll get anything different than what you have now.

Kocic by contrast has only played 2 MLS games and has shown flashes of being a very, very good keeper. He has all the tools but the one thing he lacks is experience.

Guzan in his first year with Chivas had an up and down year filled with great plays and rookie mistakes. I think by far and away we need to bring Kocic along. If he doesn't show improvement after several games, then United should reevaluate him.

The bottom line is that right now there is not much difference between Crayton and Kocic except that Kocic has a huge upside and future and Crayton doesn't.

Posted by: dcufan53 | May 21, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

"After seeing Wicks' behavior last night, I hope to never see him play in MLS again. What a tool."

i didn't see the game. what "behavior" are you referring too?

and, for the record, not one of them looks like an mls #1 right now. chris pontius maybe? he'd probably even score a couple of goals from back there.

Posted by: 2_birds_1_stone | May 21, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Pontius deserves a shot to win the position.

Posted by: J_S_F | May 21, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

It's Goff's question, but if I'd asked it, I would have phrased it as "[w]hich goalkeeper is the best value for D.C. United?"

You get a different answer to that question.

Posted by: Curious99 | May 21, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Kocic needs to start and Crayton needs to go when his contract is up.

Posted by: mcontento | May 21, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

You get a different answer to that question.

Posted by: Curious99 | May 21, 2009 9:24 PM

That's exactly how I answered it. Last season, even with his crazy antics he wasn't bad. Yes, there were some heart attack moments and he has let in some weak goals.

But the thing I'm looking at, he's got experience. He's in a slump, right now, but I think he'll get out of his slump (you know the whole confidence thing?) and we will continue on to victory.

Out of all three, I believe, that he's our best chance for a 5th MLS Cup. Crayton is 2-1-3 with a GAA of 1.33. Kocic is 1-0-1 with GAA 2.0.

That being said, it still is a very difficult question to answer, either way.

Posted by: dogboy | May 21, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Tough question. Kocic and his silly blaming the crowd noise business shows his age, and level of professional maturity.

Crayton is suffering from self doubt. He is pussy footin' and lacking TOTAL commitment. Chivas's 2nd goal showed that.
WE need crazy, AND confident Crayton. Not thinking Too Much Crayton.

Crayton needs the chance to prove himself worthy of negotiating a new contract. I say give him some more starts. Maybe he can regain his form.

I'd give him the next two starts and hope he proves we'd want no other when Red Bulls come back to town.

I can't vote, but I'm curious... Who's up?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 21, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Crayton is the number one. He just has to get it in his head that he's in command of the defense and the box. He goofs, but I still think he's the most talented and certainly the most entertaining.

Number 2? Kocic, probably, but I haven't seen him enough to say with certainty. The DeRo mix up with Jakovic I chalk up to lack of experience. I'm betting he doesn't make that mistake again. I'm also willing to give him some more #1 keeper time before Crayton's contract is up . .

Posted by: delantero | May 21, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm the number one.

H. Solo

Posted by: delantero | May 21, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Who is D.C. United's best goalkeeper?

By Steve Goff | May 21, 2009; 7:02 PM ET

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 21, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Crayton, but I think Wicks is probably a close second.

Posted by: fischy | May 22, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Ala Brewster's Millions, I voted for None of the Above.

Posted by: Reignking | May 22, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Easily Crayton. Soehn needs to stop f'g with his head and let him play.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 22, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

With all that I voted Crayton

Posted by: grubbsbl | May 21, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

As a Spurs fan, I'd like to interject that the Robbo saga had a bit more to it than that, and clearly Tottenham remain a bit snakebitten with regards to goalies (*cough* Gomes *cough*).

But on topic, if this is our go-for-the-fifth-cup season, then cut Crayton, sign the best person you can find in USL and go with that. I already feel he's given up a lot of soft goals. If we're just trying to muddle along as best as possible, keep Crayton as starter until Kocic is ready, and then let Kocic start late season.

Posted by: M__N | May 22, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Moe is by far the least funny of the three stooges. He's always so mean to his friends.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 22, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I think the "which is the best value for money question" is the wrong question to ask. If we asked that question for each player, we would end up with a very inexpensive, but still passable "B" side. Not a championship caliber team.

I'm also not convinced that the money (read salary cap space) we would save by cutting Crayton could really be used to bring in some other player to replace one of our existing guys. Put another way, who would you replace with the difference between Crayton's and Kosic's salaries?

Posted by: WorldCup | May 22, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse