Pontius Wins Goal of the Week

Fans voted Chris Pontius's strike against Toronto as the MLS goal of the week, but perhaps Dwayne De Rosario's blast 74 seconds later was more spectacular. Take a look at both superb goals from a wild match at RFK last Saturday:

By Steve Goff  |  May 13, 2009; 10:36 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad, Wed. Edition
Next: Thursday Kickaround

Comments

Well done DCU faithful.

We're shunning DeRo....

Posted by: JkR- | May 13, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

They were both nice. Glad the home team won.

DeRo did his usual kick-the-air-out-of-the-ball ting. It's quite mundane now :-).

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 13, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

On the Pontius goal, it was the Jaime Moreno dummy that sealed it as a great team play. Plus, that's a pretty hard shot to hit with the inside of your foot.

Posted by: diego_r | May 13, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Pontius shot was clutch, but it wasn't what I'd call goal of the week material. As noted above, the best part of the play was Moreno's dummy which created enough space for Pontius. Still, I give Pontius props for hitting before the defense got there, and for putting it in the net. He's almost sewn up Rookie-of-the Year. Frei and Zakuani are good, but I am digging Pontius. Not sure about the GOTW, but he's got my early vote for ROTY.

Posted by: fischy | May 13, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, as diego_r said - probably at least half the reason I voted for Pontius (other than being a Homer, guilty as charged) was because of Jaime's dummy.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | May 13, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

"thing" not "ting." Although "ting" is acceptable in parts of the Caribbean.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 13, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

It's not da same ting.

Posted by: fischy | May 13, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen a #13 PARTYBOY jersey yet?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 13, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

DeRo's was a better individual shot, Pontius' was a better team effort.

DeRo's goal "dance" is absolutely LAME!

Posted by: delantero | May 13, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

It's like he isn't sure if he wants to do a Crouch "robot" or not

Posted by: carmines757 | May 14, 2009 2:44 AM | Report abuse

@ DadRyan:
I was gonna buy one. But then I bought an Olsen jersey. And this was before he was scoring for us. I call them as I see them.

Posted by: Konoha7 | May 14, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

I want to know what the heck Kocic was doing with his pants right after DeRo's goal. Maybe something he should have done before the goal instead? ;-)
I didn't think DeRo's goal was anything fancy, Pontius' was a better team goal, and a more difficult strike. Back in the day, the goal of the week was usually more of a team thing (wasn't it sponsored by Nickelodeon Games and Sports?), I still prefer a good play leading to a goal to one guy just shooting - with certain exceptions for great individual effort, of course.

Posted by: dcufan | May 14, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Methinks Goff should have used his line-through text tool (as was done in the "Thursday Kickaround" post RE: all-star voting), to replace the word "Fans" in this post with "DCU Supporters." However, DeRosario's superior strike was offset by his stupid dance, so I guess the vote was fair (if not balanced).

Posted by: BaltoFan | May 14, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Not to mention DeRo was given half the field to dribble. Not even the French retreated that fast!

But well struck shot.

I think Pontius wins on the team effort and one timer of his shot.

Posted by: Tweaked | May 14, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse