Daniela Update

Unconfirmed, but the word in WPS circles is that Daniela, St. Louis Athletica's Brazilian star who scored two goals against Washington before being removed on a stretcher and taken to a hospital, suffered a fractured tibia (shin bone) and will be sidelined indefinitely. She was injured in the 80th minute on a midfield challenge by the Freedom's Abby Wambach. Awaiting an official announcement by Athletica.

By Steve Goff  |  May 5, 2009; 9:57 AM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Early Tuesday Kickaround
Next: United News & Notes

Comments

That's the same injury Wambach suffered, but she broke another bone (fibula) too. My sense is that fractured tibia and no ACL/MCL would be relatively good news as these things go.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 5, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

On second thought, I'm no ortho and I don't really know if what I just said is correct. I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Hope her recovery is as smooth and rapid as possible.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 5, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Another game report. Press box must have been crowded with Insiders.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 5, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I known ACL injuries are more common than broken bones, but I don't know which one is worse. I know Heather O'Reilly broke her tibia before the 2003 World Cup and she didn't lose a step after she came back. I think Mitts has also broken her tibia. Hopefully Daniela will have a quick recovery. That second goal was a beauty.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | May 5, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Here's wishing Daniela a speedy recovery.

Steve, is the WPS reviewing the tackle and caution?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 5, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure it depends on the severity of the break, but having torn an ACL and coached quite a few others who have, I'm thinking tib breaks tend to have quicker recovery and less of a long-term impact.

Posted by: benonthehill | May 5, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I agree that having a broken bone is better...but I'm not a doctor. And as I learned when I mentioned the flu, everyone else here is, so the correctors will post shortly ;)

Posted by: Reignking | May 5, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

all the bones I've broken healed much more quickly and with less discomfort than ligament damage. All skateboarding/bike related injuries of course, that's my experience.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 5, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

FSC last night showed the tackle on Daniela as well as other clips of the very physical play from the Freedom vs. Athletica game. Wynalda had a few interesting comments about the challenge and the physical play that Wambach was subjected to. Apparently, the WPS is going to review the case. I would expect a league suspension for Wambach. The ref, who clearly had a bad game, should in my opinion also be suspended for losing control of the game. I like the women's game generally because its not so physical but Wambach was being mugged out there. No excuse for that challenge but she clearly was frustrated.

Posted by: sbg1 | May 5, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

i guess i'm alone in thinking that the tackle was not in any way deserving of a suspension. it was a slick field and Daniela's bad touch to the ball made it look for a second like it was a 50/50. i think Abby's instincts told her to pounce and she just went after it while Daniela had to compensate for the bad touch by lunging after it. the resulting contact was unfortunate and was worth a yellow but definitely not malicious and not really out of the ordinary. i think it was a split-second reaction to a possibly loose ball and i don't think frustration even played into it.

and i'm no more a doctor than i am a mind-reader, but i would take a broken bone over a torn ACL/MCL any day.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 5, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

i would take a broken bone over a torn ACL/MCL any day.
===============

see Goff's new post. looks like she has all of the above.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 5, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I was jotting down notes after the second goal was scored, and missed the collission. Happened fast.

Frankly, I'm surprised Abby didn't pick up a yellow in the first half. She was getting knocked around quite a bit, and the ref let things play. He set the tone for a rough game, and rough it was.

Daniela was a pleasure to watch. Her absence will be missed.

BTW... thanks, OWNTF. Hope you liked it. I'm no Goff, that's for sure!

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 5, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

If Abby is suspend, then the Ref should have his credentials pulled . . . permanently! He established the acceptability of an over-physical level of play early and should be held accountable for his incredibly poor judgment.

If the League wants to set a tone as to the level of play, then they should review and act on the other fouls (I use the term loosely since they were not called) that were just as hard, just as dangerous, and yet uncalled. THAT would set a tone.

As for Abby's foul, Daniela overstreched and exposed herself (apparently due to an unfortunate touch based on the video I saw) and Abby went in hard - just as hard as everyone else had been playing. The result was truly unfortunate.

However, IMHO it would be unfair to punish the player based on the extent of an injury when she was only playing to the level allowed by the Match Officials. The USSF and the League need to admit and address their role in allowing this to happen. Most important, they need to not allow this type of debacle to happen again. It ruins the game.

Posted by: carnack | May 5, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I did like your piece, and don't sell yourself short, it's the best coverage of the Freedom that there is. Are you still allowed to have opinions? Would you have moved Chalupny back? Gabarra would like to have three Bompastors, I bet the STL coach would like to have multiple Chalupnys too.

Also, your point about Bompastor is interesting -- she attacks from a lot of different places out there, but she also wins balls -- do you think she is exchanging responsibilities with other players or does she just have (or take) license to roam?

Posted by: OWNTF | May 5, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I get the sense that Bompastor has the freedom (no pun intended) to roam a bit, so long as the team keeps its general shape. Her work rate is so high from minute 1 to minute 90... pretty impressive.

I had no idea Chalupny has the quickness that she has. I think putting her our wide to cover Bompastor hurt St. Louis' midfield pressure on the ball (and losing Daniela didn't help in maintaining possession and overall management of the game).

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 5, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse