United, MLS Notes

This afternoon's update has a health theme.....

*Santino Quaranta does not plan to attend D.C. United practice tomorrow, the day before the match against Toronto at RFK. He has good reason: His wife, Petrina, is scheduled to give birth to their second child. He swears he will be at RFK on Saturday night.

*United players are struttin' for a good cause tonight.

*An update on the condition of Marcia Williams, wife of Real Salt Lake veteran Andy Williams.

*The story behind the teenager who kicked out the first ball at the Wizards-United match:

By Steve Goff  |  May 7, 2009; 3:53 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forward, March! (for a Stadium)
Next: Wambach Suspended

Comments

Prayers to the Williams family, good luck to young Jimenez, well done United runway walkers (will there be a Kevin Payne sighting in Lost Boys gear?) and best wishes to Tino and Mrs. Tino.

@Kev29, it's your turn for kids!

Also, fans of southern rock, mourn:

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 7, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"@Kev29, it's your turn for kids!"

Ha! Not yet my friend!

I am going to support the Namoff's and help raise money for the LLS tonight though!

Posted by: Kev29 | May 7, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Tino and Petrina.

Marcia Williams could not be at a better place. Fred Hutch is where I'd go if I needed a bone marrow transplant.

For Ean Evans:

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Can't imagine strutting their stuff is good for ankles or hamstrings. But to the young guys like Wallace, after 2 90 minute matches and one more to come . . .more power to them . . . just keep scoring.

Posted by: delantero | May 7, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@Ean Evans

Lord, I'm comming home to you.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 7, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

By which I meant to imply no religious overtones, undertones, or ringtones, merely to quote my favorite LS song.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 7, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

From the corrections department: The video above is from the original lineup of Skynyrd, with original Bass player Leon Wilkinson (RIP).

Which doesn't take away from our man Ean (RIP), who I've never heard of, but hereby salute....

And congrats to the SQ's...

Posted by: JkR- | May 7, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, it was the spirit of the song, even if it was the original line-up. And I mean to imply no Holy Spirit, Teen Spirit, nor Alcoholic Spirit - although what's Lynyrd Skynyrd without a fifth of Jack Daniels.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 7, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "spirit"?!

"Begin the day with a friendly voice
A companion unobtrusive
Plays that song that's so elusive
And the magic music makes your morning mood..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 7, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I like the table this way.
1. Chivas USA 19 8 6 1 1 11 3 +8
2. Seattle Sounders FC 13 7 4 2 1 10 4 +6
3. D.C. United 13 8 3 1 4 12 10 +2
4. Toronto FC 12 8 3 2 3 10 10 +0
5. Chicago Fire 11 7 2 0 5 13 10 +3
6. Colorado Rapids 11 7 3 2 2 10 8 +2
7. Kansas City Wizards 11 8 3 3 2 10 9 +1
8. Real Salt Lake 10 7 3 3 1 14 10 +4
9. Houston Dynamo 8 6 2 2 2 6 5 +1
10. Los Angeles Galaxy 8 7 1 1 5 9 9 +0 11. New England Revoluti 8 6 2 2 2 5 11 -6
12. Columbus Crew 5 7 0 2 5 8 12 -4
13. New York Red Bulls 5 8 1 5 2 5 10 -5
14. San Jose Earthquakes 5 7 1 4 2 7 12 -5
15. FC Dallas 4 7 1 5 1 7 14 -7

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 7, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Mr Goff,
Please never ever again start a blog post with the talk of "health issues", then immediately mention Santino Quaranta in bold lettering.

My weak heart thanks you.

Nice story on the Wiz kid.

Posted by: dcufan | May 8, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I bet Tino's wife is giving birth right now!Awesome!
I hope all that goes well and he comes rockin and rollin into RFK tomorrow. Goals from #25 and #7 would be a dream come true.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 8, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

It's only a matter of time before someone Twitters (twits? tweets?) their delivery room experiences.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 8, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

So was there no video available of that kid's first kick so that the news report could show us?

Posted by: rmontcal | May 8, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

jodeoc1 what I'm worried about is the dawn of live streaming video from people I-PHones...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 8, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

West Ham United(H) VS Liverpool

Willhill 6.00 3.40 1.50
6.00 4.00 1.53

In those recent matches, Liverpool were playing pretty well, for they need to get 1st position in the league. What's more, with Gerrard's recovery, Liverpool can get 3 points in this matches without much effort.

West Ham need to save their 7th position, but they scored only one goal in the recent matches verses those four top teams.

For more, please visit: