Saturday Kickaround

*Read my Santino Quaranta story.

*The Capital Weather Gang brings you tonight's forecast for RFK Stadium.

*A look at FC Dallas.

*Insider readers knew about it early in the week, and the Commish Don Garber has confirmed it on his Twitter page (yes, the Commish has a Twitter page): He met with USSF Prez Sunil Gulati and USA Coach Bob Bradley to discuss MLS player availability for the Confederations Cup and Gold Cup.

*Crystal Palace Baltimore improves to 2-0-1 in USL2 with a 2-0 victory at Charlotte.

*Wright State University in Ohio has chosen George Washington assistant Bryan Davis as to run its men's program.

*The Region I U-14 ODP team was in Riccione, Italy, for a tournament this week facing an Italian opponent when a Dutch squad watching in the stands began chanting, "USA! USA!" and "O-ba-ma! O-ba-ma!" Said co-coach Keith Tabatznik: "Either they liked us or hated the Italians more, not sure but was pretty cool." Today, the American squad beat that friendly Dutch team, 2-1.

By Steve Goff  |  May 2, 2009; 10:03 AM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , D.C. United , MLS , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Ref Suspended 2 Games
Next: Barcelona 6, Real Madrid 2

Comments

That is pretty cool.

Does it disturb anyone that the Comish is following E! and Britney Spears. I mean Frag Dolls, George Stephanopoulos, The Onion, and Shaq are a stretch, but should a man who follows Britney Spears be leading anything?

Posted by: sitruc | May 2, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Along with proper spelling and a question mark instead of a period, I meant to add that there could be some delays for people taking Metro to today's match. There will be delays for the Blue, Yellow and Red lines this weekend. More information can be found at the Post's "Get There" Blog with Dr. Gridlock and the WMATA website.

Posted by: sitruc | May 2, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Thanks sitruc. I take either blue or yellow and it's good to know.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 2, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

How long will it take MLS to fabricate names for mythical cups to symbolize head-to-head team rivalries in what would otherwise be relatively meaningless regular season rivalries?

Every team deserves trophies!

Today we see the renewal of the "Trillium Cup rivalry".

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 2, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I meant fabricate cup names for every potential MLS matchup.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 2, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Columbus and Toronto were doing enough on their own to create a rivalry. They didn't need the league push with some fake trophy.

Posted by: sitruc | May 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

sitruc: Are you telling me you WOULDN'T hit it?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 2, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Great piece on Tino Steve! He really has come a long way, and I hope he continues to be an inspiration, and a stand up dude on and off the field.
Thanks again.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 2, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Nice feature on Santino, Steve. Thanks.

Some people can compartmentalize their personal and professional lives, but most cannot. It's great that Santino got the first situated; the second has followed nicely.

Our family philosphy: "The beatings will continue until morale improves." Works like a charm.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 2, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Guys don't forget Next week May 9th is the March,

Posted by: Norteno4life | May 2, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Hell, I was pissed when we got rid of him. (That was before I knew about the drugs and the unacceptable behavior which led to his dismissal). I liked his talent, most people did. Still, I'm glad he is back, he was a fore runner of young, talented attacking player. He didn't pan out

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 2, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

but he has returned.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 2, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I looked up Trillium and learned that it is a flower and includes lilies.

I don't need to say anything more.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 2, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I think those Dutch kids have probably played an Italian team before. :-)

But seriously, it is a whole lot easier representing the USA in Europe these days.

Posted by: troy6 | May 2, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Goal, Madrid...Higuian on a header.

Posted by: Reignking | May 2, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I would not hit E! That channel is awful.

Don Garber is creeping me out. Would someone tell Britney Spears to tell Mr. Garber that the league is expanding too quickly and is following the NHL into watering down the league via reckless expansion.

Posted by: diego_r | May 2, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Awful defending from both teams, but good stuff either way.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 2, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Exactly what are Real Madrid playing at?

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 2, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

With H1N1 going around, I'm pretty sure the diseases I would get from watching Britney Spears or E! would kill my weakened system.

Posted by: sitruc | May 2, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Holy Cow!!

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 2, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I have sleepless nights worrying about what Europe thinks about us -- even as our military keeps the European countries safe so they can "invest" in their own social welfare programs.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 2, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse