SuperLiga Set

The MLS lineup: Chicago, New England, Chivas USA, Kansas City.
The Mexican lineup: San Luis, Santos Laguna, Tigres, Atlas.

(The MLS participants are based on the 2008 league records of teams not involved in Champions League; the Mexican League used similar criteria but some invitations were declined.)

TV: Telefutura.

SCHEDULE
June 20: San Luis at Chicago, Tigres at Chivas USA
June 21: Atlas-Kansas City (in St. Louis), Santos at New England
June 23: Chivas USA at Chicago, Tigres vs. San Luis (at Chicago)
June 24: Kansas City at New England, Laguna vs. Atlas (at New England)
June 27: Tigres at Chicago, San Luis at Chivas USA
June 28: Atlas at New England, Santos at Kansas City
July 15: Semifinals, TBA
Aug. 5: Final, TBA

By Steve Goff  |  May 14, 2009; 3:47 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , MLS , Mexico
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: RFK, Tribune, TV, Friendly Skies
Next: Americans Abroad, Thursday Edition

Comments

The Super Sham is back.

Thankfully DCU will not be in it this year and can focus on the CONCACAF Champions League.

Posted by: kkfla7371 | May 14, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I like this year's SuperLiga. Let's hope the Fire and the Revs burn out early from the extra games, making United's path to the MLS Cup easier. :-)

Posted by: SSMD1 | May 14, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is, "Thank God that we don't have to do it!"

Posted by: mddeblois | May 14, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Take that CONMEBOL!!

Posted by: fischy | May 14, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Of course, all the games are in the US....

Posted by: fischy | May 14, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Also, "Thank God that Chivas USA has to do it!"

Posted by: mddeblois | May 14, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

What are the odds of the Wizards making the final? DCU plays them @ RFK, 3 days after the final.

Posted by: fischy | May 14, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

These games have been competitive and exciting. I'm looking forward to them.

Posted by: ahelms10 | May 14, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Was it Don Garber's idea to come up with Superliga? If so I now have another reason to dislike him.

Posted by: no_recess | May 14, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I hated this tournament last season. I still hope that MLS teams do well, and get a little worn out while they're at it.:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 14, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Ok - now, let's think about this - SuperLiga is the second tier tournament due to the fact that it's a commercial creation. It's also possible to be played in as little as 3 weeks and as many as 6.

And - Mexico is out of Libertadores and SudAmericana [for now ;)]

And - between Interliga, SuperLiga, Apertura and Clausura, Mexican clubs are now playing essentially year-round seasons!

WHY NOT - put the thing on in the SPRING! - Have it run from April through May/June. MLS Teams should be more "in-form" and same for Mexico.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 14, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I was going to say, "thank God United are not in it" - but about 5 people beat me to it :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | May 14, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I know it's been listed before but I can't remember the details.

Which MLS teams are going to Concacaf Champions League again?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 14, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't it be called the MediocreLiga?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 14, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Yeah - still just scratching my head on this - I know that Telefutura doesn't really need the extra games in the spring...

But the organization of this thing is not getting better.

It's also going to be going head to head with Confederations Cup.

SO - if you're Chivas USA you're w/o Klejstan and Bornstein.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 14, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I used to be down on this tournament, but then I noticed that it has "Super" in the title so I now realize that it must be a first class tournament.

Posted by: mddeblois | May 14, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Is this essentially the North American version of the Europa Cup now?

Posted by: kmccarthy27 | May 14, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I realize it's kind of third on the list of importance for these mls teams, behind league and CCL, but I enjoy watching them. It's teams I don't always get to see from a league I usually don't remember to watch playing against teams I'm familiar with in a highly tense environment. There's a good guy-bad guy thing to it, and that's easy to get behind. Sure, it feels contrived when you talk about it, but once the games get played, they're playing soccer, at a decent level, with passion, and I enjoy that.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 14, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: mizage | May 14, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Great that DC is not in it this year.

Any word if MLS teams will get a larger share of real money this year . . ?

Posted by: delantero | May 14, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd say this is progress (LA is not included) but I remember, that they are sans Beckham.

Also, KC made the cut? Somebody didn't check the footage.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 14, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Joel_M_Lane:

Columbus and Houston are in the group stage. NY and DCU are in the qualifying round (which won't be drawn for a little while, and won't be played until the end of July/early August). Since I have an odd fascination with the CCL, I have read up on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League_2009%E2%80%9310 a bunch of times recently.

***

JacobfromAtlanta-ish pretty much sums up my opinion of it. It's a bit contrived and a little silly, but the games are virtually always close, intense, and well-played. MLS teams dig a little deeper than normal.

The only other thing I wanted to point out was that Tigres just barely avoided relegation (by 2 points over the course of 3 seasons, thanks to Mexico's convoluted relegation process). There must have been a lot of declined invites.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 14, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29

Posted by: Pedalada | May 14, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

like everyone has already stated, thank god we don't have to do this garbage this year

Posted by: Pete803 | May 14, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Off topic:

Benny Feilhaber goes the full 90 for AGF. I might be mistaken, but I think that's the first time in over a year that's happened on any team for him. Less notably, Danny Califf did the same for Midtjylland.

Paco Torres gave Pachuca a 2-0 lead at Chiapas, who have since pulled one back. Torres started and is still in.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 14, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I take singlehanded credit for him playing for us. They played the Silverbacks last year, he warmed up in front of me, I said, "Jose, please play for the red, white, and blue", and he looked my way, and kinda half-nodded.

You're welcome, America.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 14, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Toluca's goalie wears number 125. He is easily now my third or fourth favorite player in the Mexican League.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 14, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I was gonna say thank God we're not in it but 6 people beat me too it so I'll do it in all caps: THANK GOD WE"RE NOT IN IT!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 14, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for getting Torres on board with the Stars and Stripes Jacob... I also agree he needed the goal. Hope he gets plenty of opportunity to shine for the US throughout the rest of the calender year and beyond.

Like I said, I wanted to like SuperLiga last year, but.... we all know what happened to United last season. Hopefully DCU can maintain what they've got going on but gain the killer instinct that they're gonna need to get the Supporters Shield, Open Cup, and MLS cup this year. Not to mention making it through to the group stage of CCL 09/10! Ohhhhh Yeaaahh!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 14, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

My problem with SuperLiga disappearred when MLS changed the format so that participating teams cannot simultaneously by involved with the Concacaf Champions League play. Involvement in both was ridiculous. Having said that I concur with the above opinion that it is competitive international soccer so why not. I'll watch now that FIOS has Telefutura and I'll enjoy it.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 15, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I must have missed the intense, competitive soccer during last year's SL, 'cause the DCU game I attended at RFK was abysmal. The very definition of phoning it in. Only time I've ever left a game at halftime.

Posted by: jburksva | May 15, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse