Thursday Kickaround

*With the Capitals-Penguins ensured of a Game 5 of their NHL playoff series on Saturday, Comcast SportsNet will not be able to provide coverage of the D.C. United-Toronto match the same evening. There will be no local feed at all. However, you will be able to watch live on MLS's Direct Kick package.

*Real Salt Lake seemed on the way to a 1-0 victory over Los Angeles before 16,155 at Rio Tinto when Landon Donovan tied it a few seconds into added time.....and then Will Johnson put RSL back ahead with a questionable PK about two minutes later.....and then Mike Magee equalized from an acute angle in the 94th after RSL failed repeatedly to clear the ball from danger. In all, three goals in about 3 1/2 minutes of stoppage time. "[RSL's penalty] seemed like a makeup call, which is odd," said Galaxy boss Bruce Arena. The video highlights are here.

*Toronto is off to a good start in the Canadian Championship, which will determine a CONCACAF Champions League berth.

*In a trade involving former first-round draft picks and Generation adidas players, New England sent defender Rob Valentino (no league matches in two seasons) to Colorado for midfielder Nico Colaluca, a former Virginia star who has not made any league appearances since his rookie year in 2007. The Rapids had been shopping Colaluca for months.

Keep reading this post for women's updates and TV listings.....

*The WPS Disciplinary Committee determined that Freedom forward Abby Wambach should not be subjected to further disciplinary measures for her tackle that left St. Louis star Daniela with a cracked tibia and ligament damage. However, Commissioner Tonya Antonucci "may independently exercise her discretion to further review the match and assess penalties based upon conduct that is detrimental to the best interests of WPS, the integrity of its matches and the protection of its players." She will announce the results of her findings by the end of today.

*Speaking of Wambach, she has been called up to the USA national team for the May 20 and May 23 friendlies against Japan in Dallas and Salt Lake City, respectively. Which means, that unless a compromise is reached, Wambach and Sky Blue's Heather O'Reilly and Christie Rampone will miss the WPS match May 23 at RFK Stadium. Freedom midfielder Homare Sawa is likely to be named to Japan's roster, but according to the club, she might end up playing in the first friendly only.

*Soccer on TV:
UEFA Cup, Shakhtar Donetsk-Dynamo Kiev 12:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Scotland, Hearts-Hibernian 2 p.m. Setanta
UEFA Cup, Hamburg-Werder Bremen 2:30 p.m. FSC
Copa Libertadores, Cuenca-Caracas 4 p.m. Fox Soccer Espanol
Copa Libertadores, Estudiantes-Libertad 6:30 p.m. FSE
Copa Libertadores, Defensor-Boca Juniors 9 p.m. FSE
Copa Libertadores, Universidad Chile-Cruzeiro midnight FSE

By Steve Goff  |  May 7, 2009; 9:22 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Freedom , MLS , TV , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: Forward, March! (for a Stadium)

Comments

That's a killer for the Freedom. The doubleheader with DC United is their first chance this season to really reach out to a large local crowd, and they'll be without the face of their franchise? I hope they make a deal so that Wambach can be at RFK on the 23rd.

Posted by: dkorn | May 7, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand why Comcast and Versus are both covering the Caps-Penguins game. According to ESPN Versus is also showing the game nationally. So does that mean that Versus won't show the game locally because of Comcast?

Posted by: no_recess | May 7, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

typical caps, can't finish off a team in 4.

Posted by: gode | May 7, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Here we go again...WPS scheduling games on international dates. How many years has this league been doing this?

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I don't like Antonucci's stance to set aside the process. This is not because I think Abby was guiltless. As I've written before, Abby was lucky not to see red and if the committee issued a retroactive red card, it would not be unfair IMO. But they made a decision, a decision that has no negative impact on any player, and the commissioner should respect that decision. The commissioner should have the power to compassionately overturn a penalty, not to impose her own.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@fischy. It's a stressful day at work and I needed that chuckle. Thanks.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Caps need to go up 3-1 so they can blow it in 7 to the Pens.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Gode:

It was game 3 and it was a fluke goal which is typically how OT hockey goals are scored.

No recess:

You are correct. Versus will be blacked out in our area. Versus had exclusive rights to game two and three but not the remainder of the series.

If you are going to the United game Saturday, then please attend the march. The more the merrier!

Posted by: blackandred777 | May 7, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy

:-D

Posted by: Kev29 | May 7, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Reignking:

Please don't compare this Caps team to those choking dog teams of the past. Not only is there not a single solitary player from then left, the present edition is way more talented and much younger. I read something yesterday that really puts them in perspective. Besides the Washington Capitals, name one other team in professional sports whose five best players are all younger than 25. I am willing to bet you can't.

Posted by: blackandred777 | May 7, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: no_recess

Yes, I believe it's Comcast only in our region and Versus nationwide. Versus used up their "exclusivity" to show games 2 and 3 here.

So now Comcast will owe United two matches. Maybe the final match of the regular season (@KC) and an Open Cup match?

Posted by: Kev29 | May 7, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I hope one of the Open Cup matches is chosen as they are typically not televised at all.

Posted by: blackandred777 | May 7, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

blackandred777: it's tradition. You can't fight it!

Why would I care how old they are?

I did seem them get lit up in Atlanta, though. Wow were they awful.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

OK, folks, let's come right out and say it... ban slide tackles from the women's game. It upsets too many people.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 7, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Well, it's a loss for WPS because fans and doubters won't get to see Rampone, O'Reilly and Wambach. But net net it's not bad for the Freedom because Whitehill didn't get called, and they're less reliant on Wambach than the NJ team is on their nats, especially if Sawa can play.

Maybe the Freedom lose "the FACE of the franchise," in a marketing sense, but the HEART of the franchise so far on the field is Bompastor, and if the Freedom are smart they'll be pushing her ahead of the double-header. (How about an Eastern Motors spot, in French and then English?) Only question is whether she will still get/make enough space to work in with Wambach around to draw attention.

I think/hope many DCU fans will appreciate Bompastor's soccer, with or without Wambach. I'm sure we'll endure commentary from the butthead he-men women-haters, but c'est la vie. (In women's soccer, French is the new Portugese.)

Posted by: OWNTF | May 7, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

The alternative to complaining about Comcast, Versus and the Caps is to get your behind off the couch and out to RFK.

It's a home game, folks.

Posted by: bergamot | May 7, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Not even having a tape delay of the United match is outrageous, this is the 1st and 2nd place teams in the Conference going at it. I sent my complaint to:

viewermail@comcastsportsnet.tv

Posted by: nffc65 | May 7, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

If the Freedom were that concerned about Anny's presence at the double-header or anywhere else for marketing purposes, they would have put her on those posters at Montgomery Mall. I can't identify the player who is depicted, but she's wearing last year's (non-WPS) kit.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Abby, not "Anny". I type as if I'm congested.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

About a tape delay -- I'm sure it costs Comcast something to cover a game. How much of that would they recoup by showing a tape-delay? How many people would bother to watch? It's a shame that Comcast+ doesn't seem to survive into baseball season, since that would enable them to show it live. At the very least, you'd think Comcast could find a channel for the game on its own system -- even if they had to cannibalize a public access channel for a few hours.

Posted by: fischy | May 7, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Caps need to go up 3-1 so they can blow it in 7 to the Pens.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2009 10:24 AM

blackandred777: it's tradition. You can't fight it!

Why would I care how old they are?

I did seem them get lit up in Atlanta, though. Wow were they awful.

Posted by: Reignking | May 7, 2009 10:48 AM

Congrats Reignking. That's now two sports you know nothing about.

Posted by: BillyBob4 | May 7, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Reignking:

Get used to another tradition you will see within the next five years, Ovechkin skating around with the Stanley Cup above his shoulders. It's gonna happen.

If you can't get out to the game, then the game is available through DirectKick or GameCenter.

Posted by: blackandred777 | May 7, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Take the hockey chat elsewhere. This is a thread for complaints about TV coverage of United, WPS schedule conflicts with FIFA dates, and the riveting Canadian (not hockey) Championship .

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Losing Wambach is tough - she's the Freedom's only 90-minute forward who's a serious scoring threat. (De Vanna isn't a 90-minute player, Bompastor is a defender/midfielder even though she's being used as a forward, and I'll just refrain from saying rude things about the remaining alternatives.)

Posted by: kevinwparker | May 7, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

What a miserable ending to the RSL-LA game. Johnson does his "Statue of Liberty" impression holding Magee onside and then Seitz gets beat 5-hole. (Oops, can't talk about hockey, eh?)

Posted by: griffin1108 | May 7, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"À l'Est Motors,
Votre travail est de votre crédit!"

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 7, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

@kevinwparker I agree with you about the other forward options.

I think Moros might be a good alternative, but I like her better in midfield. One good thing is Parrissa Eyokoron should be back by then and she is a quality forward (at least at Purdue, but not all college players have had a smooth transition to WPS) - she is also in the U-23 pool and played with them this past summer. I talked to her on Sunday and she said she is just trying to get her fitness back and then she should be ready to play. She was very eager to get on the field for the first time!

Of course I hope a deal can be made for Abby to play at RFK on the 23rd especially since I would expect her to miss the July 18th double header against St. Louis since the WNT play in Rochester the next day.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | May 7, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Um, I think De Vanna and Lori Lindsay would make a pretty good forward tandem. For 90 minutes.

And Bompastor has never lined up at forward for the Freedom.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 7, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

And Bompastor has never lined up at forward for the Freedom.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 7, 2009 1:22 PM

Bompastor lined up as a forward with Long and Abby on Sunday against St. Louis - I also think she was a forward for the Boston game with De Vanna and Abby. That was the first game the Freedom used a 4-3-3

I think Lori Lindsey is too important to the mid-field at this point to move forward.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | May 7, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

My bad - my pt. is they'll be OK without Wambach if that situation arises.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 7, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

The hockey talk was generated by the TV situation. For my two cents.....Rock the Red!

The Abby situation stinks. I'm going to all three DH's. It would suck if Abby isn't competing in two out of the three. I think July makes more sense. The WNT match is the next day not the same day and July is the rematch with St Louis.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 7, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Kai did not start last game for Sky Blue but did come on at 45. She didn't get called in to WNT camp. What's the story?

Posted by: OWNTF | May 7, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

What's even more ridiculous about the RSL-LA result is that all 3 injury time goals had Will Johnson strongly involved:

LA PK - Johnson is called for handball
RSL PK - Johnson converts PK
LA #2 - Johnson, unforgivably, is several yards behind the rest of his defenders, holding Magee on for the goal. He then tries to argue for offside, even though he gave himself a great angle of Magee being onside by 2 steps.

It's one thing to hold people onside. It's another to do so and not even be close. Doing that, in allowing a 94th minute equalizer, and being the first to start complaining that they were off, is ridiculous.

Speaking of ridiculous, Arena calling the penalty against LA a make up call is nonsense. Jordan got ahold of Espindola's jersey after Espindola blew past his shoulder. There's no way around calling that.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 7, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Does Arena seem more whiny than usual this season?

Posted by: DrBeaker | May 7, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

He realizes he is employed by a dysfunctional franchise. It's a cry for help.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | May 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

The Kai situation really puzzles me. She's a goal scorer. How many goals has Sky Blue had so far? 1. And she is one of the top goal scorers at the WNT. So what gives? All I could think of is health reasons.

Even though Freedom's got Bompastor, Whitehill, Lindsey, etc, it will still be a big blow not to have Abby at the double header. This is the first chance for the Freedom to show MLS fans that women's soccer can be entertaining too. Abby is a big presence on the field (literally and metaphorically). Even when she doesn't score goals, her attempts are entertaining and she even challenges other players to do better. I hope this match won't be boring. Hopefully Sky Blue will start Kai.

Freedom/United chose bad dates for the double headers. Even the one in July will be affected by a WNT match. I'm pretty sure Abby will be out because the first one will be in her hometown. Maybe Erin McLeod too. And for STL, I'm guessing Lori Chalupny and Hope Solo.

Posted by: KG118 | May 7, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Kai was a 2nd half sub in her appearance with the Sky Blue and the FSC announcers attributed that to injury. Maybe she's not 100% yet and Pia wants to take a look at other players.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 7, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

What I really don't understand is why US Soccer is even scheduling friendlies during the inaugural season of the WPS when we're THREE YEARS away from a major international tournament. The WPS season is only five months long. Can't beating Japan for the umpteenth time wait until September?

I understood and enjoyed the constant friendlies when there was no women's league. If it was the year before or the year of the WWC or Olympics, I'd get the need for matches. But these seem kind of pointless.

Posted by: ashleybone | May 7, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

OK, just realized it's 2009. So we're only two years away. Still, I think the Japan matches could wait.

Posted by: ashleybone | May 7, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Does Arena seem more whiny than usual this season?

Posted by: DrBeaker

No, he's always been that way. Before, it was just taken as a Jersey attitude, but was acceptable because he was winning.

Posted by: delantero | May 7, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

It's a home game, folks.

Posted by: bergamot | May 7, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Hell Yeah! You can always watch the Caps replay. Never mind losing the team to St. Louis, we need to keep these filthy Canadians in check!;-)
I've been budgeting for this weekends match since the schedule came out. Who's down for crack? Ron 16? I'll show ya' a slide tackle pops;-) League Match #9 any one?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 7, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Reignking:

Posted by: blackandred777 | May 7, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

How about the team they're playing right now? Aside from Gonchar, that is. Until the salary cap starts to ravish both teams, the Pens and Caps could be doing this for a while.

And, to nitpick your criteria, Semin's 25, so he doesn't qualify. Are you considering Laich one of the top five? He's 25 too. But, that's just me being kind of a jerk.

I hope you're not including Varlamov. A good playoff run does not a good goalie make. Re: Penguins' Johan Hedburg outplaying Dominik Hasek...

...though, in this series, Varlamov has easily outplayed Fleury. And Varlamov does have the pedigree to have some staying power.

Just a Pens fan who likes DC United. I enjoy this blog and the comments... but the Caps blog has way too much crying.

But, take this with a grain of salt, I grew up hating Dale Hunter in the playoffs :)

Posted by: El_Steve | May 8, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

West Ham United(H) VS Liverpool

Willhill 6.00 3.40 1.50
6.00 4.00 1.53

In those recent matches, Liverpool were playing pretty well, for they need to get 1st position in the league. What's more, with Gerrard's recovery, Liverpool can get 3 points in this matches without much effort.

West Ham need to save their 7th position, but they scored only one goal in the recent matches verses those four top teams.

For more, please visit: