Thursday Kickaround

*With last night's thumping at the hands of Pittsburgh, the Washington Capitals have continued a troubling trend started by D.C. United: having their season end at home in a do-or-die playoff setting. It happened to United in 2005 (Chicago), '06 (New England) and '07 (Chicago) and now to the Caps in 2008 (Philadelphia) and '09 (Pittsburgh).

*On a brighter note, MLS ballot-box stuffing all-star game voting is underway.

*Toronto improved to 2-0 in the Canadian Championship (the competition that determines a CONCACAF Champions League representative) with a 1-0 victory over defending champion Montreal from USL1.

*Read about gang violence in Argentine soccer circles.

*An interview with DCU radio voice Tony Limarzi.

*Speaking of radio (sort of), you can listen to me on World Soccer Daily at 1:15 p.m. ET today.

*A week after Philadelphia's MLS unveiling, the WPS expansion club in Philly will announce its name, colors and coaching staff Monday (6 p.m.) at Franklin Institute.

Continue reading this post to see which Americans Abroad are in action and to scan the Soccer on TV listings.....

*Americans Abroad:
D Zack Whitbred and Millwall vs. F Mike Grella and Leeds in League One playoff
F Marcus Tracy and Aalborg vs. D Danny Califf and Midtjylland
MFs Jeremiah White and Benny Feilhaber for Aarhus vs. Esbjerg
MF Jose Francisco Torres and Pachuca at Chiapas
MF Marco Vidal and Indios vs. Toluca

*Soccer on TV:
England, Leeds-Millwall 2:40 p.m. Setanta
Copa Liberatadores, Defensor-Boca Juniors 6:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Copa Libertadores, Libertad-Estudiantes 9 p.m. FSE
USL1, Portland-Rochester 11 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Copa Libertadores, Cruzeiro-Universidad Chile midnight FSE

By Steve Goff  |  May 14, 2009; 8:40 AM ET
Categories:  Argentina , D.C. United , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team , USL , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pontius Wins Goal of the Week
Next: United News & Notes

Comments

Steve G, most of the statements/articles/blogs you write in this blog daily are quite informative and/or interesting. However, sometimes you write useless, boring blogs. You, comparing D.C. United's play-off exits to a hockey team's play-off exits; who cares! Your blog in this sports section of the Washington Post is for soccer only, therefore, stop writing about other sports!

Posted by: YNOT1970 | May 14, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

troll alert . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | May 14, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF - that seems somehow appropriate with the Goats next up for DCU.

Posted by: jburksva | May 14, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

YNot 1970: Lighten up Francis.

I'm shunning you....

Posted by: JkR- | May 14, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Non-withstanding that the guy's a troll, I think it's fitting that Goff would work in references to Hockey. They share similar lineages as predominantly international, but second tier in the US, sports. I get excited watching the Caps play through the season just like I do United.

Posted by: Colm1 | May 14, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

YNOT1970 Get a life.

I love soccer/football as much as anyone but it seems pointless to me to put down other sports or ignore the environment around us.

95 to 98% of the material on this blog is directly soccer related. As for the remainder who cares....

Posted by: dcufan53 | May 14, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

The Caps getting pwned by the Pens? Who would've thought...

Posted by: Reignking | May 14, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Soccer could certainly benefit from line shifts -- and that way they could play 81-game seasons and have exciting 7-game playoff series.

Perhaps Fifa should look into it -- allowing 5 subs per match could be a simple first step.

Posted by: tab5g1 | May 14, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Steve,

I would be interested in you sense about whether World Soccer Daily is Anti MLS.

I listen to the show occasionally (I'll definitely tune in today), and they certainly seem to focus too much on the game outside the US. In addition, they seem to be very, very critical of MLS.

I think we all get that MLS is not the EPL (duh) but harping on that without really paying attention to MLS and failing to see its growth seems to me to be very sloppy reporting.

I'm somewhat astonished they are seeking out people like yourself that are knowledgeable about MLS and the US game.

Posted by: dcufan53 | May 14, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

""Your blog in this sports section of the Washington Post is for soccer only,""

You are perfectly free to change the internet station and read something else.

If I may . .

It's my blog and I'll do what I want with it.
SG.

Posted by: delantero | May 14, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

@Posted by: dcufan53 |

Steven Cohen on Fox Football Fone in, along with Nick Webster, have MLS guests on regularly. They also have WPS, USL, Hollywood United and Finn Macool charitable clubs on.

Sure they are hard on MLS. They're also hard on EPL teams at times. It's all good.

Posted by: JkR- | May 14, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I should add, for those who may not know, that Steven Cohen is also the host of WSD.

Posted by: JkR- | May 14, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@dcufan53

Yes, the WSD guys do tend to be more critical of MLS than a lot of us are, but to be fair they had every single manager on when the season began, save Carver from TFC. And they have been more accommodating toward the league and its supporters over the past several seasons.

The invitation to Goff was a result of a request for guest suggestions on the WSD page at Big Soccer, so if there are other MLS guests that you would like to see on the program, register your thoughts there.

Posted by: whoshotsam | May 14, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

YNOT1970:

This is a soccer blog that, on rare occasion, references music, culture, art and, believe it or not, other sports. From reader reaction over the last 2 1/2 years, it has become part of the appeal of my blog. If you don't like it, if it upsets you so much to read a few sentences about another sport in context of soccer, if it truly ruins your day, then don't read it. Move on. Enjoy life. Because my approach won't change. Cheers! SG

Posted by: Steve Goff | May 14, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

How about the Liberty Belles?

Posted by: stwasm | May 14, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Surprised Rahm Emmanuel hasn't thought of this:

"Even the most jaded observers were surprised recently by a fairly blatant quid pro quo, when both sides at a highly anticipated “super-classic” match in Buenos Aires unfurled ostensibly pro-government banners (or rather, banners opposing a major company at odds with the government). Each barra was reportedly paid 100,000 pesos (about $27,000) for the signs, which, according to local newspapers, were agreed upon by members of the ruling administration and top brass of the barra bravas."

Posted by: OWNTF | May 14, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

I find your comparison of DCU and Caps playoff exits interesting. I was at that DCU home loss against Chicago a few years back and this morning before I read your blog I made the same eery connection.

At any rate, keep up the great work. We are blessed to have such a consistent, high-quality blog to read several times a day!

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | May 14, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't usually listen to WSD, but I will solely because Goff will be on. I do watch FFF, and while they do have MLS coaches and players on, I've never seen them have people who actually cover the league. Looking forward to hearing you have your say today Goff. Don't let Cohen talk you down!

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 14, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"Soccer could certainly benefit from line shifts"

That's one way for Americans Abroad to get some minutes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 14, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

The Caps blowout elimination did remind me of the 4-0 home playoff loss to Chicago.

Much more troubling than being eliminated in the playoffs are DC sports franchises that TANK their entire seasons from the start. Like a Nationals team in a brand new $600 million taxpayer built stadium, or the Wizards who gave up on their NBA season around Thanksgiving, or those Redskins teams that would be built around Heath Shuler...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 14, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Joel_M_Lane: We have a tacit agreement on Soccer Insider that the match in your post is the match whose name must not be mentioned, Voldemort for short.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 14, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Cohen's job isn't to be pro/con anything. He has a radio show - he spouts off what he thinks, you either like and listen, hate and keep listening, or hate and never listen again.

Talk Radio is great - look at Rush Limbaugh!

Cohen spouts his opinions either to spark debate - or just to hear himself talk.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 14, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

To 'JkR, dcufan53, & delantero', I wasn't writing to you, therefore, mind your own business, chumps!

Steve, you're such a comedian, "if it truly ruins my day"; I have a great life!Just try not to write usless info anymore; however, to reiterate, mostly what you write is informative.

Lastly, regarding the chumps I mentined, don't bother writing back because I will not read anymore blogs regarding this particular thread, therefore, once again, I get the last laugh, LOL!

Posted by: YNOT1970 | May 14, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Limarzi, was it ever determined what sort of technical difficulties kept many of us from listening to him last Saturday night?

Posted by: universityandpark | May 14, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Why is the shunned guy still posting? He's shunned!

I'm going to make some adjustments to my shunner....

Posted by: JkR- | May 14, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

--When you post here, you are writing to everyone. If you want to write to Goff, you can probably find his Post email address somewhere, or do it snail mail c/o the Post.

[And now you're in a fix because you read this, but you can't respond because you swore yourself to silence in your last post . . . ]

Posted by: fallschurch1 | May 14, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Got an idea. Instead of the old "First!" post on a thread, whoever writes the first comment should take a swipe at the troll. Then he'll stop reading the thread thinking that he has, somehow, won the argument.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 14, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

270 I tried that but it didn't work

Posted by: OWNTF | May 14, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

dcufan53 wrote: and they certainly seem to focus too much on the game outside the US.

I believe that is why they are called WORLD Soccer Daily, not US soccer daily. With busy league schedules, league cups, national cups, Champions League (or equivalent), etc. there's far more football to cover not only daily, but-year round. If they only focused on the MLS they would be on the air one hour a week, not two hours a day.

But maybe I only defend them because I think Steve Cohen is sexy.

Have a great time, Steve. But for God's sake, do not reference music, culture, art, or other sports whatever you do. ;)

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 14, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

Right below Goff's mugshot is a link that one can use if one wishes to contact him directly.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 14, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I think I now know the answer to "why not 1970"? Because it sucks.

BTW - Goff - I don't think the Caps losing to in seven games to Pittsburgh started with DC United. That was their MO in the 1980s and 1990s. The Caps made the playoffs years and years in a row and almost never made it past the second round. I hope all of these newfangled Caps fans get used to a syndrome called "Caps heartbreak" because it might become a pandemic.

I also wanted to note that I enjoyed listening to the Goffer on It's Called Football last week. Keep up the great work!

Posted by: diego_r | May 14, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I find it noteworthy that Toronto got the usual crowd of 20K for a midweek non-MLS match. I wonder whether that is an indication of the sophistication of the fan base up there. None of DCU's USOC matches last summer, including the final at RFK, drew anywhere close to 10K, even though (as with the Canadian competition) a CCL berth was at stake. I strongly suspect that most fans in MLS cities south of the border are used to following domestic league competition, which has its analogue in every other major American team sport, and that they have not yet grasped the significance of these other competitions that run concurrently with domestic league play.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 14, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

YNOT1970 has declared victory. We can all rest easy now. ;-)

Posted by: Steve Goff | May 14, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Steve G: I read your blog this morning. I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

-Ms. Evans, your 3rd grade teacher.

Posted by: EdTheRed | May 14, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark | May 14, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Or, the Maple Leafs didn't make the playoffs....

Posted by: JkR- | May 14, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Another reason YNOT1970 . . . . for those too young to remember, be glad . . . .

"Why do birds suddenly appear ev’ry time you are near?
Just like me, they long to be close to you.

Why do stars fall down from the sky ev’ry time you walk by?
Just like me, they long to be close to you.

On the day that you were born the angels got together and decided to create a dream come true.

So they sprinkled moon dust in your hair of gold and starlight in your eyes of blue."

Posted by: OWNTF | May 14, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@JKR

"Or, the Maple Leafs didn't make the playoffs...."

Nope but the Yankees were in town. We don't make excuses for having 20K at every game thank you very much.

Posted by: zoran1 | May 14, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

20K or so on a weeknight is pretty impressive for Toronto's cup game. Toronto vs Montreal is a natural rivalry and there was probably some revenge factor involved too, as Montreal won the Cup last year.

Or maybe they just showed up in the hope of seeing Stephen DeRoux. If so, they went home disappointed as he didn't get off the bench.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 14, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Andy: Whoa, what's the situation?
Dwight: Un-shun. I think he's suffering from depression. Re-shun.
Andy: Okay, when's this shunning thing going to end?
Dwight: Un-shun. Never. Re-shun.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | May 14, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps the match in T'ronno last night was part of their season ticket package...

Posted by: EricB1 | May 14, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

This appeared above the sudoku puzzle yesterday:

Posted by: universityandpark | May 14, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Conjunc-shun Junc-shun, what's your func-shun?

Frankly, I love the nods, allusions, and comparisons to non-soccer items. Soccer is life, folks...the rest is just details. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 14, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse