Tuesday Kickaround

"It's just not good enough. They're over their head. They have to learn, just like the players have to learn to play at this level and coaches have to learn coaching at this level, and the refereeing has to get better at this level."

Another complaint about MLS officiating? Nope. Tony DiCicco, a WPS coach, in the Boston Globe following Sunday's game between the Breakers and Washington Freedom. Two weeks earlier, a referee lost control of the Freedom match against St. Louis.

*American forward Charlie Davies suspended five games for striking an opponent in the Swedish league.

*This doesn't really pertain to MLS specifically, but in a survey of 300,000 consumers, Red Bull (the drink) trailed only Hummer, MTV and Starbucks on the low end of brand perception. (Insert snarky comments here.)

*England's 2018 World Cup bid is up and running:

By Steve Goff  |  May 19, 2009; 9:26 AM ET
Categories:  England , MLS , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad, Monday Edition
Next: Olsen Out 3-4 Weeks

Comments

am I the only one who, when he reads the name Charlie Davies, thinks of the Charlie Daniels Band when he reads anything about Charlie Davies???

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 19, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Tony DiCicco is absolutely right when it comes to the referees currently serving WPS matches: they just aren't up to the standard of play. I remember when MLS started the standard of refereeing lagged behind the play - there has been significant improvement in both. I expect WPS to go through the same evolution.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | May 19, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

bonghits4gomez, yes.

So as to not pile on, perception ain't recognition. Red Bull still sucks though.

Posted by: sitruc | May 19, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

DiCicco may be right on the whole, but he's got no beef with Sunday's game, at least based on my TV viewing. Kelly Smith is a big time whiner, you could see that at SoccerPlex and you could see it in spades Sunday on TV. In fact the major beef with the reffing on Sunday was how in the h*ll Latham only got yellow for the elbow at Singer. 6 inches higher and Singer's getting a nose job or worse. Look at the article about Davies -- if the refs and the league are doing their job, Latham will be out for multiple games; Davies got 5 for throwing an elbow at a defender.

Yeah I would agree the refs should tighten it up; the Freedom have come up against a bunch of thugs incuding Latham, Ostberg (Chicago) and McNiell (St. Louis). And Wambach has dished it out too -- not speaking of the St. Louis tackle as much as her putting a Boston defender out of the game with a frustration bull rush in the first meeting. If they can stop that it will be good, especially for players like Sonia and Sawa.

But I don't think that's what Tonya DiCicco is aiming for . . . . he's trying to work the league and the refs to get even more calls in favor of Smith.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 19, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Beckham? England?
ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 19, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Goff - always having a pop at Red Bull. I'll take our crappy brand perception owner any day of the week, thank you very much.

I wonder where VW and their crappy cars are on that list.

Posted by: whoshotsam | May 19, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

VW is a sponsor. Not our team name. You can keep the crappy tasting drink and your garbage team, thank you very much.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 19, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

VW is the best selling car in the world . . . but you're right about NY having an owner that will STFU and build a stadium without whining about it . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | May 19, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Red Bull's commercials are cartoons. VW commercials either have a beloved car with a smooth accent or Brooke Shields.

VW probably rates higher.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 19, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Wow. It is amazing that Red Bull was in such good company: Hummer, Starbucks & MTV. I recognize all of those brands. You have to be living under a rock if you don't recognize those.

Still, maybe Red Bull should do try and sponsor a soccer club here in the States like they do in Europe. In a major market. Or buy the naming rights to a stadium. Should be a bargain with this tough economy.

That might help them with their brand recognition...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 19, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Brooke Shields? How old is she now, 60?

Posted by: PEddy | May 19, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

@yankiboy

To be fair, the survey is not of brand recognition (as I incorrectly stated earlier), but rather brand "value". So it's hardly surprising that people feel like they get less "value" from an energy drink, a gas guzzling SUV, a coffee seller and a music video channel than they do from the History Channel.

Let me ask you this - if you had a choice between getting a gleaming, state of the art stadium built and having your club re-branded to VW DC or moving to St. Louis, which one would you choose?

Posted by: whoshotsam | May 19, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

@PEddy

Brooke Shields 60? If that's the case she looks damn good for her age...

Posted by: whoshotsam | May 19, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

@whoshotsam-To answer your question: Da VW, no question Klause.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 19, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@ OWNTF: Abby was getting pounded but "thug" seems a bit harsh. But then again, I saw Dema Kovalenko on Fox Football Fone In and while he is a bruising type of character, I wouldn't even call him a "thug".

I do agree with you about Tony Di looking out for his player, first and foremost.

I have to remember to sit Charlie Davies in my Yanks Abroad fantasy league, now. Thanks a lot Chuck.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 19, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Poor Rooney.

"Here, Wayne, come stand next to David Beckham for the photo shoot." Let's hope Wayne doesn't get confused about who all the girls are screaming for.

That said... if having hair meant having to wear it like Beckham, I'll stick with what I have... uh, er, don't have.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 19, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Davies was a bit of a headcase when he played for BC. I remember some of his less than classy interaction with "The Crew" at Maryland games. I like that he's getting playing time and scoring, but hopefully he'll gain a bit more maturity aborad as well.

And whatever the perception, people are drinking Starbucks and Red Bull. Plus I've always thought VW ads were classy, shame about the many thousands of dollars in repairs to my old Golf, though.

Posted by: M__N | May 19, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if I'd use "Maryland fans" as a reference point to show how un-classy someone is!

Posted by: ZidVicious | May 19, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Not a knock on Maryland - but that was low-hanging fruit M_N!

Posted by: ZidVicious | May 19, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Brooke Shields is man-ish.

Posted by: Reignking | May 19, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Good morning lads and ladies, here is my report from England:

The United v. Arsenal match was dull. If anything, Arsenal deserved to win. But the draw was enough for the title. The atmosphere at the ground, the crowd enthusiasm, and the trophy presentation were awesome (and I mean that literally; not the way it is overused).

I wish someone from DCU would go to one match at Old Trafford (or any other ground). "Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please....." is not the way to get the crowd behind you. Recorded team anthems such as "Glory, Glory Man United" "United Roads" and "Que Sera, Sera" (we're going to It-a-ly) really get the noise level and anticipation ratcheted up.

Joedoc: I didn't know what type of beer you prefer so I had many, many pints to make sure I had you covered.

I-270: Believe it or not, thanks to your blessing, we did have a tail wind both ways, albeit it very briefly on the way back. I can never remember having had one westbound! Now can you please predict sunny and 80F for the entire Memorial Day weekend?

DadRyan: You won't be saying England ZZZZ once you see LilRyan in her new Man United kit! She'll be the best-dressed little girl at RFK. Are you going to the game Saturday? If not, email me at kcdavis@covad.net and we'll figure something out. Put something in the subject so I pick it out in my spam filter. (Notice to any impostors who try to trick me into sending it to them: you'd be stealing from the official baby of this chat and you would never get to heaven.)

After Wednesday I promise to devote all my attention and devotion to DCU, but for now, with your kind permission,

Championes, Championes, Ole Ole Ole!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 19, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Not a knock on Maryland - but that was low-hanging fruit M_N!

Posted by: ZidVicious | May 19, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

---

Believe me, it's reached the point of embarassment that the Crew get so amped up on doing the same knock knock joke every game. That said, you can laugh it off like most players or you can act like a Vick brother.

Posted by: M__N | May 19, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

hahahaa

Posted by: ZidVicious | May 19, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: whoshotsam | May 19, 2009 10:48 AM |

I'd choose a team with 12 trophies over the one with zero.

I'd choose a team with a name and brand recognizable around the world over one that gave up and sold itself to the highest bidder (whose main product sucks, by the way).

I'd choose one that builds rosters which are then picked apart by the league's rules over one that has been the beneficiary of largess from the league office over the years.

And - to be fair - I'd still be bitter watching a sparkling new stadium that appears to be setting a new standard for the league going up for RedBull while DCU's ownership and the local politicos take turns trying to ruin a good thing here.

So thanks for asking, and I hope you enjoy that new stadium, but don't ask me to like it when you bring it up to rub it in my face. And don't assume everyone supports a crappy team with no name that would be willing to sell itself so cheaply.

Posted by: CDRHoek | May 19, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Heidi Klum.

'Nuff said.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

As for England's bid -- I guess the difference is they're looking at it as an edge to put their national team over the top and win another title. We're hoping it rescues a sport and league that seems to be losing momentum here.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

@CDRHoek

I didn't ask the question to be snarky. Don't be so damn sensitive.

I asked it because if the ownership situation in NY had continued status quo there is a very good chance the MetroStars/Red Bulls would 1) not have a new stadium and 2) be playing somewhere else. So excuse me if I choose not to rake over the coals the only ownership group that has ever done anything for Metro just because of branding issues. Purity is all nice and good, but if you have no club to support what's it matter?

Posted by: whoshotsam | May 19, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

What's more I don't base my club allegiance on how many trophies they've won. Isn't that the definition of glory hunting?

Posted by: whoshotsam | May 19, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm still too lazy to click a link, but I believe you still put the brands in the wrong light, whoshotsam.
Hummer = overpriced, gas guzzling SUVs for middle-aged men with small *issues* or impotency problems

Starbucks = overpriced, over-burnt coffee for those people just past their prime who think going in there shows their maturity since they haven't caught on to their boss drinking the free stuff at work or going to 7-11. The only other people there are kids and wannabe "artists"(who still live with their mom) listening to the same 3 "indy" groups(yeah, that makes them pop) on their iPods while browsing iTunes on their iMac and talking to somebody on their iPhone.

MTV = a trashy yet not the trashiest of the Viacom channels that actually had music, music videos and music related shows once upon a time. Although once a legit channel it turned into a channel every pedophile and hebophile monitored to watch trends and it is now mostly a guilty pleasure channel so that if somebody asks you say it was Spice, Playboy, or E! instead.

Red Bull = overpriced taurine water with a distinct vomit inducing pissy aftertaste that is popular among frat boys and other "bros" who enjoy self-mutilation. It is known to be over-advertised and often used to ruin good drinks yet somehow make them cost more.

Posted by: sitruc | May 19, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm a committed Manchester United, New York Yankees, Los Angeles Lakers, and Pittsburgh Steelers fan...for now.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

That would be "indie" groups. I think an "indy" group would be from Indianapolis, and nothing really good comes from Indianapolis. Their football team hasn't even won enough championships for me to become a fan...yet.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

My Hummer came with MTV via satellite and Red Bull in the built-in fridge. I was kickin' all three just the other night.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 19, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't ask the question to be snarky. Don't be so damn sensitive.

... So excuse me if I choose not to rake over the coals the only ownership group that has ever done anything for Metro just because of branding issues. Purity is all nice and good, but if you have no club to support what's it matter?

Posted by: whoshotsam | May 19, 2009 12:35 PM |

You'll be a Metro fan if you want, I'll be sensitive about our stadium issue if I want.

You're the one who took issue with reporting a brand value survey. RedBull is popular with many people - obviously they sell lots of product. Surely you're aware many others really don't like it, and the survey confirms this.

None of this has anything to do with the Metros or DCU, until you use it to suggest that DCU might rebrand as VW to stay in DC.

That's great that you think RedBull saved your team. It may be true. It doesn't mean other teams are so devoid of brand value that they need such drastic measures.

Posted by: whoshotsam | May 19, 2009 12:39 PM

Yeah, it is. But since I've had season tickets since the first year in 1996, I don't think it applies to me.

Posted by: CDRHoek | May 19, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Red Bull v VW, just when I thought that the arguments here could not get any more childish.

I'm done with this thread. Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah. I win you lose.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 19, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree 270. I'm shunning myself.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 19, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back, BaRRD!

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 19, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

"...I'm done with this thread..."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 19, 2009 1:19 PM

"I agree 270. I'm shunning myself."

Posted by: OWNTF | May 19, 2009 1:25 PM

I apologize for my contribution to dragging down the thread. I'm off to drink a RedBull as penance!

Posted by: CDRHoek | May 19, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Welcome back BaRRD. I hit you on the email a minute ago.

Speaking of Pink Cows, where 'o where is good old MJ?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 19, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse