Tuesday Kickaround

*Read about D.C. United youth academy goalkeepers who might soon be headed to Europe.

*The USA women rout Canada, 4-0, in Toronto.

*Americans Abroad:
MF Alejandro Bedoya (Boston College) 10 minutes in Orebro's 2-2 tie with Brommapojkarna (Sweden)

*The Euro Champions League final between Manchester United and Barcelona tomorrow will be available on four outlets at three different times:

ESPN and ESPN Deportes at 2:25 p.m. ET
ESPN Classic at 5:30
ESPN2 at 11:30

Remember what Man U accomplished 10 years ago? Watch:

By Steve Goff  |  May 26, 2009; 9:36 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Euro Champions League , Preps , Sweden , TV , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Observations
Next: Onyewu's Destination?

Comments

The gap that Canada was closing as far as the womens soccer goes--it looks to be widening again.

The US thoroughly dominated the Canucks.

Rapinoe's strike just before half-time was class and her future looks bright. That goal helped seal the Canadians fate. It came at a perfect time, just before heading off into the lockeroom.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 26, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Reposted from previous thread:

The Champions League final will be carried by XM Radio:

This channel is apparently only available to XM subscribers over the air, but not over the Internet. Also, there is presumably a corresponding Sirius channel, but I don't have information on that close at hand.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 26, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Gordon Strachan to be announced soon as Philly Union manager - he will also continue his practice of managing away from the bench.

He'll call the shots from Scotland.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 26, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Reposted from a previous thread (with improved spelling):

Why is it that every time we beat the crap out of Canada, an announcer has to say that Canada can take something positive from the game and build on it and realize what they need to do to get to the next level, blah, blah, blah?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 26, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I just had plans come up. Do you think they would mind pushing the final back a day?

Posted by: sitruc | May 26, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I have a staff meeting tomorrow afternoon. Maybe if we both called Michel Platini... parlez vous Francais?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 26, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1
-------------------------------------------
Maybe so that we will keep tuning in to watch us play them twice a year (thanks a lot Japan)?!?!

At least it is a break from when the FSC WPS game announcers are always hitting us hard with the "she-roes" and "this is the best womens' league in the world bit". I realize that it is a part of the job to an extent but please... It's annoying as h@ll.

That is the worst...

Lang is overated. Seriously overated. She hasn't doen Jack in the WPS...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 26, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

rapinoe's bend before halftime was sick
solo might as well just had a picnic between the posts
played for 45 mins, had a few touches, then hung out on the bench in the 2nd half. all in a day's work for hope solo. this must be her memorial day vacation from the wps.

Posted by: KG118 | May 26, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

ESPN and ESPN Deportes at 2:25 p.m. ET
ESPN Classic at 5:30
ESPN2 at 11:30
--------
and Sky Sports 7 hours of non-stop champions league coverage on Fox Soccer Channel tomorrow. 5 day weekend.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 26, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Champions League matches are usually carried on Channel 125 on Sirius.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | May 26, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Lang is overated. Seriously overated.
Posted by: yankiboy
=====================

"I pity the fool who says I'm overrated. I threw the first pitch at the Cubs game, sucka. I'll throw my fist at you!"

what? Wrong Lang? My bad.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 26, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Sirius channel is 125

I started following football after the 1998 World Cup and Man United became my team. But being new to it, and without total TV coverage we now have, I did not appreciate the achievement that the Treble represented. Or the importance of the Busby Babes. Now my older man crush is Sir Bobby Charlton.

I hope we don't leave it to the last 30 seconds of injury time tomorrow -- or penalties. C'mon you Reds!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 26, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Diego signed 34 million deal with Juventus.
ManU rules the world tomorrow! and Tevez signs a new contract, and Ronaldo stay put.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 26, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff -- any insight into the Ian Sawyers situation with Sky Blue?

Posted by: OWNTF | May 26, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Here's my question to anyone who may know this information or where to find this information.

I'm going to be in Berlin, Munich, and Mallorca for the Confederations Cup.

Given that Spain and Italy are the UEFA teams, how hard is it going to be for me to see the the Yanks play?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 26, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

VBB,

The U.S. is in the nightmare Group B with Italy, Brazil, and Egypt. You will absolutely be able to find that group's matches on carriers throughout Europe.

At a minimum, here is the online streaming broadacast schedule:

Posted by: ErickSp8 | May 26, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Goff or Tenorio, so if these two keepers do go to Europe, does DC United get any sort of compensation at all for the investment placed in them?

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | May 26, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

ESPN actually going to show the match in HD tomorrow. Yay

Posted by: Kev29 | May 26, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Remember what Man U accomplished 10 years ago?
By Steve Goff | May 26, 2009

May 26, 1999. The date every single fan west of Newfoundland became a Manchester United supporter.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 26, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

*****************************

That "Soulshark" dude that scored looked NOTHING like his name.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 26, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

This sums up what a farce youth development really is in MLS. Two good keeper prospects in the DCU academy are going to just walk to Europe. It seems like Dave Kaspar was waiting until they graduate from High School to lock them up.

News flash for MLS. Most good prospects are signed by the age of 16 if not younger.

Posted by: bluesfan1 | May 26, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Ahem. Not everyone west of Newfoundland (and Labrador) is a Manchester United fan. I mean, c'mon, they linked up with the NEW YORK Y*NK**S, the Evil Empire of Major League Baseball, in a marketing deal...UGH.

I cannot, in my right mind, support such a side, ever.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 26, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

ESPN Classic at 5:30

It now takes just 3 hours for a game to become a classic. That's progress.

Posted by: dm100 | May 26, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I am not going to make any predictions, because we don't know about Bill Hamid's determination to play in Europe. However, he did train with United early this year -- per Goff's reports -- and there were oblique comments about the FO's interest in an Academy player.

I would not be surprised if DCU does jump into the bidding for Hamid's services, this summer. With Crayton's deal ending, it's possible that the team would opt for the younger goalie, even if they have to bid high. Actually, with the Gen Adidas possibility, the team could sign both under the cap (maybe sign Crayton thru the end of the year), but would have to trim the roster. Still, I bet they'd be excited about a camp next year, with Wicks, Kocic and Hamid. We can dream about a national team-type talent in goal, can't we?

Posted by: fischy | May 26, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 26, 2009 2:31 PM |

I'm just saying that on May 25th, there were probably 100 Americans who were ManU fans. On May 27th that number had grown exponentially.

Same thing happened after Chelsea won the Prem. Bandwagoners crawling out of the woodwork wearing their blue shirts.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | May 26, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Champs League in Rome and, on the same day, the Queen Stage of the Tour of Italy . . .up the Blockhaus with it's average grade 6.9% with max of 13%. It hurts just to think about it.

Posted by: delantero | May 26, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

It might hurt Levi to think about it, but not Lance. Lance will be singing the whole way up, passing out feed bags and water to his squad:

It's a Block . . . Haus
Mighty mighty
Just lettin it all hang out

Posted by: OWNTF | May 26, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

@VirginiaBlueBlood

I donĀ“t know for other european countries, but here in Spain the Confederations Cup will be broadcasted by Tele 5 for free. Maybe in Italy is also Tele 5 the broadcaster, but i don't know.

Posted by: miguelcan | May 26, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I really do not give a fig for ManU.

The Stone Roses, however, are gods.

Thank you.