United-Real Madrid Flashback

Now that the United-Real Madrid friendly is official, let's reminisce about the first meeting between the clubs:

Date: Aug. 9, 2006.
Site: Qwest Field in Seattle.
Attendance: 66,830.
Final: United 1, Real Madrid 1.
Goals: Cassano 22nd minute, Eskandarian 25th.

Read my match report.

Of Note: A day earlier, United traded Santino Quaranta to Los Angeles.

TV Announcers: Dave Johnson and Garth Lagerwey.

DCU LINEUP: Perkins; Namoff, Boswell, Erpen, Gros; Olsen, Carroll, Gomez, Adu; Eskandarian, Moreno. Subs used: Dyachenko, Walker, Simms.

RM LINEUP: Casillas; Salgado, Woodgate, Ramos, Roberto Carlos; Emerson, de la Red, Beckham, Raul; Cassano, Van Nistelrooy. Subs used: Lopez, Cannavaro, Helguera, Bravo, Garcia, Cicinho, Baptista, Robinho, Balboa.

Best Quote:

"You see him line up for the ball, you're like, 'Oh my God, he's going to bury this ball,' " DCU GK Troy Perkins said of Roberto Carlos's free kick from about 18 yards. "He put it in a place where I could have saved it. But I'm still thinking, I don't know how the hell I saw it because it was moving so fast. You watch him on TV and you're like, 'Wow!' And then you see it [in person], and that ball moves."

By Steve Goff  |  May 28, 2009; 3:38 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. United vs. Real Madrid (continued)
Next: Video: USA Women Victory

Comments

I win.

That was a much younger DCU team that was conquering MLS. I would be stunned by a similar result this time.

Thx,

Not Jay

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

that was actually the last time I saw DCU in person!

Posted by: troy6 | May 28, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Fischy, if I may:

Well in.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 28, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

fischy, shouldn't it be:

"Thx,

Not Jay!"

hee, hee...

Posted by: troy6 | May 28, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I stand corrected...

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

4-0 DCU as even Chris Cooley gets into the game for the Black-and-Red. In exchange for DC not running the score up further, Real airlifts the bottom section of the Bernabeu to solve DC's stadium woes and agrees to loan United Casillas for the rest of the season.

Posted by: the_slammer | May 28, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I was there, probably the best match I ever saw United play and I've seen about everyone going back to the start. Real played their best and they really tried. I remember on one play Beckham ran 30 yards full out and then laid out fully trying to reach a cross. I have never seen him do that for the Galaxy. A quality match and a quality result before a packed house.

Posted by: congguy | May 28, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait until July 24th, Chelsea vs. Milan. I hope Kaka doesn't leave just so I can see him play.

Posted by: NFeKPo | May 28, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Reminisce."

Can you repeat that?

"Reminisce."

Can you use it in a sentence?

"Now that the United-Real Madrid friendly is official (Sun., Aug. 9, 3 p.m. at FedEx Field), let's reminisce about the first meeting between the clubs..."

Are there any other pronunciations?

"None that I have here."

Reminisce. R-E-M-I-N.... oh, I don't know! Moooommmmmmyyyyyyyyyy!

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 28, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to see Wicks stone Robben....

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Hah. I watched that at a party. I think everyone hated me for forcing the TV to stay on.

Posted by: Colm1 | May 28, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I believe this was the game after which DCU's season went irreversibly south.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 28, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I was surprised by the result of the first Madrid game. I know Madrid was in pre-season, but I really did not expect United to stay in it.

I pretty much expect the same this time around. I'm pleasantly surprised each time we play one of the top European clubs, but when it comes down to it, they've got better players at every position. On paper, these games are a mismatch, even if the European clubs are in pre-season.

My biggest issue with these games have more to do with the way United plays after these games. While I think they're good experience for the younger players, I feel like their play drops off considerably after the game.

Posted by: TCompton | May 28, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Good memory Ron16. Classic example of 'Peaked too early'....

Posted by: JkR- | May 28, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@Jay - I hope you're not insulted. All in fun, dude.

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Well, I sure hope this rotation policy works for United. The end of July through September is going to be a rough stretch if they advance in the US Open Cup and the through first round of the Champions League:

7/21-22: @TBD (USOC Semi-Final)
7/25: @San Jose (MLS)
7/28-30: @TBD (Champions League R1, Game 1)

8/1: @Houston (MLS)
8/4-6: @TBD (Champions League R1, Game 2)
8/9: Madrid (Friendly)
8/15: @Toronto (MLS)
8/18-20: @TBD (Champions League R2, Game 1)
8/22: Los Angeles (MLS)
8/25-27: @TBD (Champions League R2, Game 2)
8/29: @Chicago (MLS)

9/1: @TBD (USOC Final)
9/5: @Dallas (MLS)
9/9: Kansas City (MLS)
9/12: Seattle (MLS)
9/15-17: @TBD (Champions League R2, Game 3)
9/22-24: @TBD (Champions League R2, Game 4)
9/27: San Jose
9/28-10/01: @TBD (Champions League R2, Game 5)

10/3: Chivas

Posted by: TCompton | May 28, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCSharksFC | May 28, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

If I recall the last RM-DCU game kicked off at 11pm Eastern, meaning early morning in Madrid. So clearly the ability of Madrid fans to watch the game was not critical back then, or else it would have been a noon Pacific kickoff. Why a 3pm kickoff this time? 8pm makes more sense in August.

Posted by: Pedalada | May 28, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Piotr Nowak in Philly, huh? I don't understand his motivation. I thought the whole point was to get the national team experience -- being an assistant all the way up through the World Cup. Maybe, he sees what Sigi has done in Seattle and is hungry to do the same, afraid people have forgotten what he accomplished as a head coach here. Maybe, he just needs to be the head man.

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

The report and highlights don't include the first pass of the sequence. I believe it was Simms who found Adu on the right.

The highlight reel took me forever to download, but if you're awake at 2AM with a fast connection and lots of available memory, esta aqui:

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

The vibe in Qwest Field after the Real goal at 22 was: OK, now the wheels come off for the pathetic MLS team. I'll admit, I was sitting there thinking, well, we did OK for 20 minutes, and now we are toast. Then three minutes later came that sequence young Goff described in the opening paragraphs of his match report, culminating in Esky's goal, and I have to say as a DCU fan who brought the family up from California for the game, it was one of my favorite moments at a soccer game, even if it was "just" a friendly.

I also remember thinking, in justifying the trip, well, gee, how often will you get a chance to see Beckham play?

Posted by: dccal | May 28, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

The happiest person at that match, without question, was the young girl who escorted Beckham on the field. He said a few words to her while waiting for the National Anthem and her smile was wider than Puget Sound.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 28, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

That match report was interesting for the reminder of how close we came to losing Soehn to Toronto. Fortunately, Nowak moved on, so the FO could elevate Soehn to the top job.

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff! Again, I'm wondering if Seattle is really going to be able to get away with giving their season ticket holders tickets to the MLS CUP? Is this some deep dark, "maybe no one will notice" scheme that is really going to get pulled off as some sort of kickback to a club that is probably already making plenty of money?
Or... Is this the fruit of PAYING for not only a Franchise, "the best coach" and the tampering fees that came with it, and the Cup?
What gives boss?

It seems like this could be a mess if the Sounders don't make the cup final and visiting fans are stuck having to buy tickets from STHs.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 28, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Champions League Replay on ESPN2...followed by Chicago/Chivas...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 28, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Live Scores, live scores, live odds comparison,match data, live tv in sports
Totally free and live online, live scores&odds on your side

Posted by: suewin123 | May 28, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I believe that the same post, with a different user line was tagged as spam at the Nats Journal....

________________________________________

Posted by: suesue8709 | May 28, 2009
_________________________________________

Carry on...

Posted by: fischy | May 28, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure I watched that match in a strip club.

Posted by: sitruc | May 28, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

nowak probably left the us team because he couldnt stand bradley inviting adu to the latest camp

Posted by: rhbancroft | May 29, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

When it comes to the Real Madrid friendly, I think I'll pass. First of all, $50 for the cheapest seat in the house is pretty pricey. Second, putting the match at FedEx is less than optimal for any number of reasons, not the least of which is its inconvenience. Third, Madrid's will be out of shape, and their best players won't be on the field more than half the match. Lastly, c'mon - it's Real Madrid. I don't want to support the evil empire.

The part I like least, though, is that DCU had to guarantee the money-grubbing buggers $1M for them to show off their reserve team. Count me out.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | May 29, 2009 6:57 AM | Report abuse

By August 9, Real Madrid's players should be in pretty good shape. Their season probably starts a week or two later.

Posted by: TCompton | May 29, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton | May 29, 2009 8:26 AM
____________________
This season's La Liga schedule started on Aug 30. August 9 puts the squad about three weeks away from their opening match. That means the team would have probably just started to put in the first layer of fitness (aerobic) by the time they hit DC. In other words, they won't be in shape, so their trainer won't risk them for more than a half.

Posted by: schmuckatelli | May 29, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse