United News & Notes

*Another D.C. United victory over New York this week: DCU has won the U.S. Open Cup coin toss and will host the Red Bulls at RFK Stadium, probably on Wed., May 20. The winner will advance to the tournament proper this summer. For ticket plan holders, the match will likely be Special Game B. Details to come.

*Christian Gomez (hamstring) and Ange N'Silu (hip flexor) have been upgraded and are no longer on the official injury list. Jaime Moreno (heel) has moved from questionable to probable.

*Fred has missed the past two practices for family reasons but is likely to be available tomorrow night against FC Dallas at RFK Stadium.

*The loan of Anthony Peters and John DiRaimondo to USL2 Harrisburg this weekend is the first of what will probably be several player agreements between United and the lower-tier clubs this season. Without the MLS reserve division this year, the loans benefit United because players who otherwise would probably not appear in league games will see competitive action. USL2 teams need loaned players more so than USL1 sides because of compact scheduling, such as Harrisburg's consecutive games in Bermuda.

Read Coach Tom Soehn's comments on the continuation of this post and then tell us whether you think he should retain the same starting lineup as the New York game or reintroduce Gomez and perhaps move Pontius to the flank in place of Fred.

Soehn, on the week of training after a grueling afternoon at Giants Stadium on Sunday.....

"Our guys struggled physically a little bit but we tapered down and today they looked like they had their legs back. The guys who haven't been playing, we pushed them a little bit and then backed off a little bit later in the week, and I think they are all in a good spot."

On Gomez's status.....

"He trained for a week. Any time there is a muscle injury, you are always cautious as to bringing him back too soon or overextending him. That is a consistent thing we will always look at."

On the approach to three games in eight days.....

"I think our depth is going to go a long way this stretch. But it's one at a time: You take care of the first one and then you evaluate where you are for the second one."

I will take a look at Santino Quaranta's rejuvenated play in a Saturday print-edition story, which will be available online this evening.

By Steve Goff  |  May 1, 2009; 12:12 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Libertadores Golazo!
Next: MLS Ref Suspended 2 Games

Comments

Let's kick a little FC Dallas arse tomorrow night!!!

D.C.U. 3

FC D 0

Vamos United!!!

Posted by: Smitty8 | May 1, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Does DCU get paid for loaning out their players?

Posted by: hoyanick1 | May 1, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Family reasons? So nebulous. Hope no one in the family has just come back from vacationing in Cancun ;-)

If he hasn't practiced, then I'd say yes, go with Gomez (you said he practiced all week), with Tino and Pontius on the wing. Unless Tino will be up front with Emilio where I'd rather see him, then Pontius and Wallace outside. Stick Fred in later for whichever rookie is having the hardest time. Stick Moreno in, if needed, for the other rookie and slide Tino back to MF.

Posted by: dcufan | May 1, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Heads or tails?

Posted by: sitruc | May 1, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Tails never fails!!

A

Posted by: torrey151 | May 1, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

As fun as the NY win was, it's important to remember that even when we were dominant, there was very little soccer being played. Obviously the turf plays a factor in that, but our main mode of attack was to bypass midfield and put their woeful center backs in areas where their quick decision-making would be exposed. In other words, we did to NY what most teams did to us last year. It worked quite well, other than the finishing (we should have been at least 3 up at halftime). It was an important win, a gutsy win, and an encouraging win, but it was not exactly a brilliant display. At home, on grass, I think we're good enough to win with skill as opposed to purely on will.

At home, on a respectable playing surface, things are different. Dallas is also deficient in terms of smart defenders, but I think the approach should be a little different. If Gomez is fit (big if, given Soehn's cautious comments and his age), I'd lean towards starting him. Playing the same game against a Dallas team that will sit its back four further back than NY did will play into their hands. We could use a more clever, skillful approach.

That's not to say we can't get something like that out a lineup without Gomez (especially if Moreno is now probable). While we'll lack that one player with the extra awareness and vision in midfield, it's not like we're starting 5 guys who run like mad and offer little else. We have a pretty smart group with good technique, so we can out-smart and out-pass Dallas; I just think with Gomez it's more likely.

With the flurry of games we have, I think using Gomez in this game and at home against TFC, while holding him as a reserve in Kansas City, might be the best course of action. I'll take harder working midfield on KC's small field. Like I said, though, if Gomez isn't fit, this kind of goes out the window and you start the same team (or bring in only Moreno, again depending on how his Achilles is).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 1, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

For short-term, weekend loans, United is not financially compensated.

Everyone involved benefits from such arrangements.

Posted by: Steve Goff | May 1, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Tough one.

I feel that young players tend to have better success in home games. The counter argument is that DCU tend to maintian better possession at home; therefore, players like Gomez and Moreno could have a significant impact at home.

Bottom Line is that Soehn should not start all three of our veterans: Olsen, Gomez and Moreno. I also feel that the coach needs to find a way to get more productivity out of Fred.

I say, start Pontius and Wallace on the wings and Gomez in the middle. If things are going well early in the second half, bring on Fred to run at a tired defense, take off Gomez (keeping him fresh for at least one of the other two games in this coming week), and move Pontius to the middle. Start Tino as withdrawn forward.
As long as we keep getting points (stay in the top eight in the league), rest Moreno until his heel is better.

Posted by: footiefan101 | May 1, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Gomez or Moreno starting because Soehn has been very cautious with his older players. It would be nice if he went the same backline as the first game against LA, but I think he will stick with the same backline as last week for the purpose of continuity.
Emelio--------Quaranta
Wallace---Pontius-----Fred
------Olsen------Simms----
Burch---------------Namoff
---------Jagovic----------
---------Crayton-----------

Posted by: no_recess | May 1, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

no_recess,

If I were Soehn, I 'd rotate that triangle of Fred, Pontius and Tino to put Fred in the middle, Pontius up top and Tino on the wing, but given the way he's lined them up this year, you've probably got it right.

Posted by: Kenobi | May 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm concerned about Wallace and Burch as your left side D. At the very least, they need to tighten it up on that side and show some improvement compared to the RBNY game.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 1, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

It's tough because you have four stars that, arguably, cannot be entirely effective for a full 90 on any given day.... and only three subs.

On paper, you'd love to have Gomez, Moreno, and Fred on the field at the same time as much as possible, but the fact is Gomez will give you the most as a starter, whereas Fred and Moreno will be most dangerous as subs, running at/through/around exhausted defenders.

Frankly I'm not sure which class Olsen fits into, he could go either way.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 1, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else get the feeling that scouting DC United is a little bit tougher this year? It came at the expense of some veterans getting injured early on, but it's given a lot of guys an opportunity to make an impression and contribute in big ways. Come on Party Boy! Any nicknames for any of the rest of the draft class? Tino calling Kocic Baltimore doesn't count...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 1, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Is Jagovic a joke?

It's Jakovic. We've had him long, we should start spelling it right. Did we misspell Gellargo? Etchiscary? Bottom line, he's a starter, his name is his reputation.

I personally would like to see

Emilio-pontius
Wallace-Fred-Quaranta
Olsen-Simms
John-Jakovic-Namoff
Crayton or Kocic, I don't really care.

Also, Moreno and Barklage should see time. I've never seen anything like it, he scores a goal in his first game, and back he goes to the bench.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 1, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

DCU needs a modified Clockwork Orange -- let the backs hold their spots, but allow the midfielders and forwards to flow in and out of their positions. Emphasize balance and constant pressure on the ball, whoever the first defender may be.

Seems like a reasonable approach to dealing with a lot of talented guys.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 1, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Demon - did you miss the part last week where Barklage came *off* the bench? In a league match, as the playmaker? Huge step up for him.

After last week, I'm not prepared to argue too hard with Soehn's moves.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 1, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Have you ever heard anything from Soehn as to why we never play Fred centrally, since that's where he made his A-League MVP living? Apologies if this question is old and covered.

--------------Crayton---------------
------Namoff---Janicki----Jakovic---
-----------Simms----Jacobsen--------
--Pontius-------------------Wallace-
----------------Gomez---------------
------Quaranta---------Emilio-------

Benny gets the weekend off to prepare for the next two games. Fred sits after his uninterested performance @NY. Janicki moves into the middle to help with Cooper's size and Jakovic moves over to put Burch on the bench. Quaranta is rewarded with another start up top and Gomez plays as long as he's able.

Posted by: the_slammer | May 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Do we have a nickname for the "J Triangle" of Janicki, Jakovic and Jacobsen?

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say J?

Then I learned to play some lead guitar,
I was underage in this funky bar
And I stepped outside to smoke myself a j
When I come back to the room, everybody just seemed to move
And I turned my amp up loud and I began to play

It was late in the evening, and I blew that room away

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 1, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Steve - Was the Seattle/Colorado coin toss done at the same time?

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | May 1, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Answered my own question - yes and Seattle won.

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | May 1, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | May 1, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Do we have a nickname for the "J Triangle" of Janicki, Jakovic and Jacobsen?
Posted by: joedoc1 | May 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse
=====================

The Jangle?
The Jingle?
The spurs that jingle jangle jingle?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 1, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Union Philadelphia. I kind of like it but it will be difficult for people to say and understand. Are they the Unions? or Philly FCs or what. At least they are getting a stadium even if it is in Chester.

Posted by: sbg1 | May 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Do we have a nickname for the "J Triangle" of Janicki, Jakovic and Jacobsen?
Posted by: joedoc1 | May 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse
=====================

JRocks!

Thanks

Posted by: OWNTF | May 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

UnitedDemon

Jagovic is not a joke. I don't know why I always thought it was Jagovic and Jakovic. To prove my point I don't even get he pun. Thanks for correcting me.

Posted by: no_recess | May 1, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

@OWNTF: Well in, my friend. Well in!

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Do we have a nickname for the "J Triangle" of Janicki, Jakovic and Jacobsen?
Posted by: joedoc1 | May 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse
=====================

The Jangle?
The Jingle?
The spurs that jingle jangle jingle?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 1, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

and in the broadcast booth John "The Juggler" Harkes!

(sorry to bring up that painful image from MLS's early marketing efforts)

Posted by: CDRHoek | May 1, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I think that at some point, Soehn is going to want to start resting Wallace and Pontius a little to allow them to mentally recover from the effects of a professional season of soccer.

It's not a bad thing to have Quaranta, Fred, Gomez, and Barklage as part of that rotation of midfielders/forwards.

I suspect with Moreno resting a bit, we'll see the_sammer's line-up.

Posted by: TCompton | May 1, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

==============================

Soehn never answered but Chest did last year, and that settled the issue.

Chest, with possibility of Wallace, Pontius and/or Quaranta playing on the flanks, and the possibility of a 3-back system, can we play Fred centrally now?

If we go total football as joedoc says, that may be an even better reason to "Unleash the Fred."

Posted by: OWNTF | May 1, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Having grown up in Philly in the late 60's and 70's.

"Union Philadelphia" means they will demand excessive wages, not show up for work, and harrass any management going into the stadium. On the flip side, they will have plenty of strikers.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 1, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I love how we're asking Chest for his proffesional opinion on Goff's blog.

I usually agree, but it is a little funny.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 1, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@Chest: should I have chicken or fish for dinner?

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 1, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Do we have a nickname for the "J Triangle" of Janicki, Jakovic and Jacobsen?
Posted by: joedoc1 | May 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

How about 3 Skinnee J's?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 1, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

On the flip side, they will have plenty of strikers.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil
=====================

!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 1, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Whoever gets in the line up they really need to mark Cooper and stay off of off-side line. Specially Janicky - he stays always we back and let the strikers inline - perhaps he can't run fast to track back if the strikers slip through.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 1, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I can hear it already.

Those SOBs will be yelling U P! all game long.

Posted by: Curious99 | May 1, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

For Philly...it's easy one. Philly Cheese-steak

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 1, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Do we have a nickname for the "J Triangle" of Janicki, Jakovic and Jacobsen?
Posted by: joedoc1 | May 1, 2009 2:27 PM |
=====================

How about "The 3 Ja-migos" ?

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 1, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Bring it up on another thread. We'll vote on it.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 2, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse