United News & Notes

*A reminder that the starting time for the DCU match at Chivas USA this Saturday is 11 p.m. ET. Fox Soccer Channel will provide live coverage.

*Midfielder Andrew Jacobson (ankle) has returned to training after sitting out last weekend. He is officially listed as probable. Ben Olsen (hamstring) is also "probable."

*Former DCU midfielder Dan Stratford is training with the club this week to prepare for possible trials in England this summer. He is in the process of finishing his phys ed degree at West Virginia University. Stratford has been in contact with Yeovil Town (League One) and Brentford (League Two).

For comments from Coach Tom Soehn, keep reading this thread.....

Reflecting on Saturday's tie.....

"They were our mistakes that really punished us. It's not necessarily that they did anything special."

On Olsen's hamstring.....

"I learn more every day. We leave [for Los Angeles] on Thursday. I'll know more Thursday."

On the results and late-game excitement.....

"We are dropping some points, which is concerning. It's a really funny league this year in the fact that there are so many ties and a lot of late goals. I'm not really sure I understand it. Our mentality going in is that we're not going to give up and fight until the end -- that's the reason why it has happened for us. Why it has happened everywhere, I'm not sure. ... We're creating a lot of opportunities, especially at home, and we're not putting teams away. That's coming back to bite us a little bit. The fact that we are having to squeak out results at the end of the game, that is what we have to get better at. But we also have to get better at eliminating our mistakes that are causing the goals. We are playing a pretty attractive brand of soccer -- the type we try to play -- we are creating a lot of opportunities and we are limiting opportunities on the other side. We are going in the right direction, but we still have some things to shore up."

By Steve Goff  |  May 12, 2009; 2:05 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Women's Friendlies Cancelled
Next: Poll: MLS Part II

Comments

"attractive" is in the eye of the beholder (or seller).

entertaining - yes.

attractive - no.

lets start putting these games away.

Posted by: Section107 | May 12, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

SInce Soehn took the helm, I've seen his relative sanity as a remarkably accurate barometer for the state of the team. It's like an Elliot and E.T. thing almost.

Now just look at all those intelligible, agreeable, on-topic sentences. One after another. Ahead of a big test this weekend, what's more attractive than that?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 12, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

"They were our mistakes that really punished us."

I agree. We play pretty well, but make some glaring (rookie) mistakes. Something we can survive if we're playing a lousy team like NY or Dallas. But solid teams like KC & TFC will punish us for those.

But that's the deal with a good, young team. On the upside, these are the kind of mistakes that experience and coaching can fix, and we should improve dramatically as the season progresses.

Posted by: -rke- | May 12, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear it about Stratford. I really liked him and thought it was a shame he didn't work out for whatever reason. I hope he finds some success in the UK.

Posted by: loosek | May 12, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I personally liked Stratford too. I say we ditch Daraimondo or whatever and pick him back up.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | May 12, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Stratford could do worse than catching on with Brentford, they're on the up. Literally, they'll be in League One next season.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 12, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I saw a few matches back in '03 at Griffen Park when Brentford was in League 1. Old school stadium (1904), which made all the matches, regardless of quaility of play, a great experience.

Posted by: wjlandis | May 12, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey! How did he get a British work permit so quickly?

:-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 12, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I can't believe we're talking about Stratford again.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 12, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey! How did he get a British work permit so quickly?

:-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 12, 2009 4:09 PM

Could it be his shared name with Shakespeare's home?

Posted by: bdwooton | May 12, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Could it be his shared name with Shakespeare's home?

Posted by: bdwooton | May 12, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I think it's because his mom is an Avon salesperson

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 13, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse