United News & Notes

Who is traveling to Los Angeles today for Saturday's first-place showdown with Chivas USA?

The goalkeepers will be Louis Crayton and Josh Wicks. Rookie Milos Kocic will stay behind.

Midfielder Brandon Barklage is not traveling.

How about midfielder Ben Olsen, who has missed two games with a hamstring injury?

Olsen: "Am I traveling, Namoff?"

Namoff: "I don't know. I haven't seen the list."

Olsen: "I'll have to look at the [message] board in the locker room. I'm pretty sure I'm going. It usually takes about two weeks to come back from something like this, and it's been about that. It's feeling alright. I don't know if a five-hour flight is going to help."

*The seemingly endless negotiations concerning a DCU-Real Madrid friendly on Aug. 9 at FedEx Field have continued this week. The fact that they are still talking is probably a good sign.

Much more later.....

By Steve Goff  |  May 14, 2009; 11:01 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: A Few Minutes With Tom Soehn

Comments

"The fact that they are still talking is probably a good sign."

As long as they're not talking about a stadium.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 14, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

This is a fun game of revolving keepers...are they shielding Kocic from the mean old road crowds, since he apparently can't handle his own home fans?? :)

So I guess Crayton gets the nod...we should be in decent shape fatigue wise with a whole week, so what's the lineup?

---------------Crayton----------------
------------------------------------------
-Namoff----Jakovic----Burch----
------------------------------------------
--------Simms--Jacobsen--------
Pontius-------------------Wallace
---------------Gomez----------------
------------------------------------------
---------Emilio----Moreno---------

This being a big top-table clash, I'd think we'll start the 'A' team...?

Posted by: the_slammer | May 14, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I heard the hold-up with the Real Madrid match was tax/payment issues with Real Madrid playing in Canada. They are trying to sort those out before anything can be announced, since it's all kind of a package deal.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | May 14, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I like that lineup, though I'd almost rather keep either Gomez or Moreno on the bench to come in the 2nd half (Moreno could come in up top or at A-mid, or if Gomez came up, shift Jaime forward). Thinking that one if not both will probably not make the full 90, I do like have at least one of them on the pitch at all times to hold the ball, control the pace. N'Silu's size should give Chivas' back line some issues, too.

Posted by: eadc | May 14, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I agree with eadc. N'Silu showed well last week. Have either Moreno or Gomez as a sub because we know neither of the two can go the full 90. I think Quaranta will fill into a starting role.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | May 14, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

the_slammer Namoff, Javovic and Burch is your 'A' backline? Sadly, since I am not in the DC area I do not get to watch as many games as you so I would love your insights. (I know that this unit started the last game.) janicki(?) has slipped down the depth chart and John is not starting quality? A few weeks ago folks on this blog where really negative about Namoff.

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 14, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'd rate Avery John as a starter ahead of Burch. John looked pretty solid in Kansas City. It could have been just a one-game anomaly but with his experience and more natural defensive skill set I'd rate him ahead of Burch.

It'll be interesting to see whether (or how much) Soehn keeps rotating the lineup. Last Saturday none of Crayton, Janicki, John, Olsen, Jacobsen, Pontius, Quaranta or Moreno started.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 14, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Negative about Namoff? He's DC's MVP this year, in my book. He's saved two goals off the line, made numerous defensive stops, and assisted on 3 goals.

Posted by: fischy | May 14, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Also, what is up with a lot of the mexican club players dying their hair to match their club colors/kits??? Thats the gayest thing I have ever seen. I only see that for my sister's U-14 games...

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | May 14, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait until Sat. I will be there to cheer the boys on!

Posted by: Shanoni | May 14, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

sorry, I meant Burch, not Namoff, as being the subject of lots of negative comments on this site a few weeks back.

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 14, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully Olsen travels with the team and will get the start ahead of Jacobson.

Namoff-Jakovic-Burch has been our "A" backline for most of the year, whether you agree with it or not. Pick your poison between Burch and John. Either you get Burch's giveaways or John's fouls.

It's amazing that our "A team" doesn't include Quaranta in the starting lineup. I think I'd rather start him ahead of Gomez.

Posted by: DCUMD | May 14, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@ nyjer1 - I like Janicki too, but I think that despite the soft goals given up Jakovic has a lot more to offer in terms of distribution and skill. He's been playing well all year IMO. As far as John and Burch go, I sort of expected John to start against TFC after his solid outing @KC, but Burch played, so I have to think that Burch is ahead of him on the depth chart in Soehn's mind. On the other hand, John might be a better fit for the kind of nasty physical game that Chivas plays.

I kind of like that we are having such problems predicting the lineup this year. We have 16-17 guys who are MLS quality starters, it seems, and no matter who we play we have quality guys itching for time on the bench. I mean, that lineup I posted has Quaranta, Fred, McTavish, Janicki, N'Silu on the bench, all guys who have started for us before and given us quality minutes this year. Nice problem to have, especially after what we went through in 08.

Posted by: the_slammer | May 14, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't put Jacobson in the "A" team yet. Fred is definitely in that category. Quaranta is not far off. Think of him as A-1. A real saucy player.

I realize Jakovic has quicker feet and some skill on the ball, but I'd still prefer to see Janicki in the middle.

Burch is still in the mix, but he's made some seriously boneheaded plays, lately -- borne of timidity: (1) the one that allowed Dane Richards to push him off the ball and put the Red Bulls in the lead and (2) the one that led to him fouling in the corner when he decided not to play the ball and tried to escort it over the end line instead -- setting up the free kick that put TFC in the lead. He needs to step up or sit down.

At goalie, I'm not sure this is musical chairs. I think Kocic may have played his way to the 3rd spot -- at least, for now.

Posted by: fischy | May 14, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

fischy,

I only put Jacobson in there since Olsen might not play.

As for Fred, it seems like he's fallen out of favor a bit, doesn't it?

Posted by: the_slammer | May 14, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I think Fred's lack of playing time prior to the TFC game was due to a combination of injury and family issues. I thought he played well against Toronto and while he may still have some conditioning issues, I don't think we have many better options at his spot. Despite the occasional leaden touch, he has the potential to be a game changer for DCU.

Posted by: jburksva | May 14, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Olsen, guess I'll have to wait one more day to adjust my fantasy squads...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 14, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse