United Rewind

In the end, it was probably a fair result, right?

Galindo was clearly offside on Chivas's first goal. Gomez said he was offside and admitted to making light contact with the ball on United's late equalizer. Chivas was without Kljestan. United lost Olsen after seven minutes. Chivas hit the crossbar. United could've done better with a couple opportunities.

Chivas remains well atop the Western Conference. United falls into a tie for first in the Eastern Conference with Chicago -- two teams that have combined for 12 ties after just two months of play! Chivas is unbeaten in four straight, United in six (seven in all competitions).

On the continuation of this thread, you'll find links to the match report and video of the late goal, bonus comments from Gomez and Olsen, and player ratings.....

Read my match report. I wrote that Gomez was in an offside position, but after watching the replays about a million times, now I am not so sure. At least you can make an argument one way or the other. There wasn't much doubt on Galindo's goal.

"The ball grazed me, but I knew that I was in an offside position, so I decided not to make contact with the ball," Gomez said through an interpreter. Obviously, something was lost in translation because that doesn't make much sense.

So should it have been an offside call? "No. Golazo!"

Who should get credit for the goal? "Santino."

Olsen, on the hamstring injury: "I just turned quick on it and felt something go." He said he'll have an MRI on Monday to determine the severity.

Olsen, on the decision to accompany Soehn to address the officials at midfield at halftime: "I just wanted to make sure Tommy didn't rip the guy's head off."

PLAYER RATINGS
Crayton 4; Namoff 6, Jakovic 7, Burch 4; Pontius 5, Simms 6, Olsen 5, Wallace 6; Quaranta 8, Moreno 5, Emilio 7. Subs: Jacobson 5, Fred 6, Gomez 7.

By Steve Goff  |  May 17, 2009; 3:40 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight #10: United at Chivas USA
Next: New Forward for Earthquakes?

Comments

Wow Burch and the Goalie got a 4 rating what a surprise. We need a new left back, it was one thing when he was adjusting to the position, but he hasn't gotten any better. Goalie do we pick an over paid experienced Goalie or a cheap rookie Goalie. I'd just as soon pick Kocic if they think he has a lot of potential, we already know what Crayton is and more importantly isn't capable of.

Posted by: bighungry | May 17, 2009 6:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm no sure how much more bizarre this season can get.

Anyone have an updated number of draws in MLS this season?

Posted by: addick | May 17, 2009 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Gomez was even with the defender when Quaranta struck the ball -- not offside whether he touched it or not -- clear from the replay.

Posted by: NotOffisde | May 17, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure you can make an argument either way, actually. With the benefit of the replay, it's not an especially close call. At the point when Quaranta strikes the ball, Gomez isn't even with the last defender; he's behind the last defender.

Much tougher for me to see if he touched the ball, but I don't think it matters.

Posted by: nelson_o_matichotmailcom | May 17, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Exciting game and its nice to see the passion and never say die attitude. But boy does our defense have some holes. Wow that Crayton is awful. The second goal was just dreadful goal keeping. On a number of other occasions Crayton was out of position and displayed both bad technique and decision making. From what I gather from other peoples comments on this blog he has not shown much improvement since he has been with us. When is his contract up again? I take back what I was saying the other days about sticking with him. At this point I would rather give young player who has promise starts and chalk up mistakes to the learning curve. Today is Crayton really much better then Kocic (I've not seen Kocic play). I agree with the Burch rating. I think its time to start giving John some starts. Can Janicki play out wide? Jacobson was another disappointment. I think a 5 was generous. If you continuously pass the ball to the other team you are hurting your team. I think that he should have been yanked earlier in the game. I understand managing Gomez's minutes but at this point are we coddling him too much? It amazing to me how much better we looked when Moreno, Gomez, Fred and Emillo are on the field at the same time.

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 17, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Wow--just wow. I'm not sure at all what to make of this United team. Are we just really darn lucky? Or are we a team with tremendous heart, refusal to quit and the ability to manufacture results? It's troubling that we let teams get back into games and can't avoid errors. It's inspiring that we always seem to find a way to get back in the game. I honestly don't know what kind of team we have this year. I do know that after a while, producing late game results creates a team confidence of "we'll find a way" that leads to a confident team that plays that way.

Very very glad to see Santino have such impact. And you've got to believe that the team braintrust is looking at a mid-season replacement for Crayton. If Kocic isn't ready to step up than someone else. Man, that Cannon deal falling apart a year ago has really turned out to be significant.

And on a completely different note, selecting the protected players for expansion this next offseason is going to be difficult. I wouldn't be surprised to see us expose Olsen, Gomez, Moreno, Fred. Not because they aren't good players. But because of the combination of age and salary versus how attractive a whole bunch of younger guys like...Jakovic, Wallace, Pontius, Quaranta, Barklage, Kocic--any of whom would be snapped up in a second (as well as guaranteed to be exposed players like McTavish, Janicki, Jacobson).

Posted by: JoeW1 | May 17, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Is McTavish okay? Why doesn't he play more?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | May 17, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm posting for the first time after lurking for a while because, Goff, I've never disagreed with you more. Gomez was a good yard *on* side and definitely had an impact on the direction of the ball. (Can MLS change who gets credit for the goal?)

As for Galindo's goal, I do agree that the play was "closer to being onside than initially thought." My anger at the ref is somewhat alleviated -- I can see how he could miss that call.

Posted by: d4t4 | May 17, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

In general, I think those ratings are fair, but I'd probably flip flop Fred's and Gomez's. In my mind, Fred proved once again that when his head is in the game, he changes the entire approach of the team and makes them much more difficult to contend with.

Posted by: jburksva | May 17, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

My understanding why McTavish doesn't play more is that he's a jack of all trades but not really the best player at a specific position:
--at central defender, Jakovic and then Janicki are ahead of him
--at outside back, you'd go with Namoff on the right and I don't see McTavish as a decent choice on the left
--at D-mid, Simms, then Olsen, then Jackobsen, then McTavish
--at outside mid, the rookies (Wallace and Pontius) or Fred, or even Barklage and Quaranta of course before McTavish.

Devon is an incredibly important player in MLS (especially with the reserve sides gone): he's a guy who's cheap, knows the league, and can contribute at half of the field positions. But he's not our first choice as a sub at any of those positions.

Posted by: JoeW1 | May 17, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Goff, I don't see how you can rate Emilio with a 7. His play with his back to the goal was horrible. I lost count how many times he lost the ball with a defender all over his back. He showed great hustle to put that ball in the net, but I am curious how he got two additional points higher? I know a 7 in your books would be a good/great game.

My M.O.M. has to be Jacovic, he is the pick-up of the year for United. The suits need to get him another quality central defender to make one hell of a central defense. A new goalie must be in the making as well. I say give Kocic a chance, give him some experience and he should blossom. Really missing Frei right now, although I've been more than happy with Wallace and Pontius.

Posted by: adamsunited | May 17, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Almost 39% of MLS games thus far have been draws.

Posted by: ncguy | May 17, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I watched Quaranta's goal repeatedly. I don't think it's Black and White glasses that has me concluding that Gomez is onside. When you stop the video after the ball has left Santino's foot on the shot, Christian is still about 2 steps onside. And Chivas' backline steps up while Christian (with the instincts of a natural goalscorer) continues to move towards goal. So he ends up looking brutally offside.

Galindo's goal was offside, Quaranta's was not.

Posted by: JoeW1 | May 17, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I still say keep the 'keeper rotation going until mid-summer. My assumption is that we end up with Kocic at #1, but until then, the competition can only help him develop his skills.

Is it worth trying Barklage or Jacobson at left back? I don't recall if either is lefty, but both are tenacious and might be a fit.

Great end effort by the team - last year I never saw that kind of urgency in the final 10 minutes. Hopefully soon they won't need to rely on the final 10 minutes to grab points.

Posted by: eadc | May 17, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

It is clear to me from the replay that Gomez deflects Quarantas shot ever so slightly. Its looks as though, given the way Quaranta struck the ball, the shot may have spun just wide of the far post had it not been deflected by Gomez. A legitimite goal no less. Galindo was offside.

Posted by: gattipost | May 17, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

JoeW1 you really think Jacobson is better then McTavish at defensive midfield? That does not give me much confidence in McTavish. Maybe I am too focused on last nights game but I thought Jacobson was quite terrible when he came in for Olson.

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 17, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

JoeW1, That is what I was thinking with dread last night. I don't want to lose Pontius, Wallace, Fred, Barklage, Kocic, N'Silu, or Janicki. We're going to be hard pressed to keep them. However, I don't think there are reserve games anymore.

Also, even though Gomez claims to have touched the ball, it didn't make it any tougher of a shot. I think people are justing unwilling to grant Quaranta credit for a world class shot. Truth was, Gomez was largely ineffective (if you think Emilio couldn't hold up the ball, then slam Gomez for his weak on the ball balance).

Emilio, leave him on the pitch as long as he is scoring.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 17, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

If you don't want to take JoeW's word for it, then take mine. McTavish is exactly what JoeW described him as. A jack of all trades - master at none.

I honestly think he is best suited as a probable replacement for Namoff when he finally goes. Question is, will he still be around. But he is valuable as JoeW says because he doesn't cost you much and he can fill in some spots in a pinch. He's just not good enough (last year should have proved that) to get the starts.

Jacobson is a pure d-mid and will a good player for this team at that position, much better than McTavish IMHO..

Posted by: ARickey | May 17, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'd say it was a fair result. Galindo's clear theft and Gomez's debatable offsides on Tino's wonder goal (which Thornton saw the whole way, but was forced to stay home because of Gomez being in the neighborhood - talk about a team goal).

What I really enjoyed about that game was the fact that even being 2 down I had this strange confidence in me that we could get a result. This United team is stacked! Even with our walking wounded we are deep. I mean brining in Fred and Gomez off the bench? That's riches in MLS. That combined with the fire that Olsen brings to the mentality (on and off the field) is why we can put team's to the test late in games. Amazing. Props to TS for encouraging this team to challenge for results on the road. Now if we can just learn how to not fall behind earlier in the games.

Crayton, Crayton, Crayton. Dude, is not looking like the answer. I cannot seem to figure this one out here. Was he always this bad (and Wells made hime look so good), or - considering the rough patch he's going through in his personal life - does he have a few things eating him up on the inside? This is a tough one. My position is that we give it to the Rook, he givs me the same heartburn but you can see he'll get better. So if Crayton is not number one, is a number 2 worth that kind of a cap hit in MLS? Not to sound harsh but, NO!!

Posted by: Kosh2 | May 17, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

@ Kosh2

Crayton was much better last year. He was much more mobile and controlled the box better. At first I thought he wasn't playing as well because DCU wouldn't let him play his game (aka kamikaze style) but I think something happened. I'm guessing that all of the offseason events surrounding him combined with getting older and being less in shape have led to this subpar goalkeeping.

I'm pretty sure he won't be here after midseason.

But what's the other plan? Who are we going to bring in? I don't think Kocic is ready for this year. Could we bring Rimando back for a year or two? ugghhh...

Posted by: diego_r | May 17, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Gomez was on by 2 yards, it turns out, unless the video can't be trusted.

Galindo, was not. Off by a yard and half. Shame, DCU may have done enough for 3 points.

Chivas is playing well, though, defensively. They get after you all over the field, anticipate passing lanes well, and are athletic enough to hold their shape while closing you down individually.

Posted by: JkR- | May 17, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I've been a big proponent of giving Burch time, but I have to say the hourglass is about empty, particularly in a 3-back alignment. I also am not impressed with jacobsen as a D-mid, though his powerful shots from distance are tantalizing.

It seems to me the 3-5-2 is designed to get Olsen in the midfield, and when he plays there he lifts the team. When he does not play, I would favor McTavish there, who has a lot of the same grittiness that Ben brings. And move Namoff to the left, Jakovich to the right, and Janicki to center. Or, go 4-4-2, with only Simms at d-mid, and Burch-Janicki-Jackovich-Namoff in back, so that Burch can go forward more, which I assume is what the coaches like about him.

I love Crayton's playfulness. But he is not getting it done. I'm cautiously hopeful that Kocic can improve with reps. But . . .Hannamen anyone?

Posted by: regularfan | May 17, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Crayton is terrible. I say it again, is this guy really 31? His reactions out there make him look at least 40. He should be the backup at best. Kocic is better and has much more upside, but just needs to get the playing time. Again I criticize the front office for not going out a getting a real keeper, especially with a defense that is that bad. There has to be somebody out there better than this Swiss league castoff...

And as for the defense, with the way they are playing, we will be bounced out of the first round of the playoffs, if we even make it in. Here again, I criticize the front office for not going out a getting some established defenders. After last season, they should have scrapped almost all of the backline and started over.

Posted by: alan19 | May 17, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

One other thought -- We seem to have a lot of good wide midefielders. What about Wallace as left back? That leaves a very servicable rotation of Quaranta, Fred and Pontius outside. Wasn't Wallace a defender in college? What was his position? I love the way he runs at goal, but he can still do that sometimes from the back position. He seems to have the engine for it.

Posted by: regularfan | May 17, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Burch seems to have actually regressed. It used to be that his long passing was accurate and he would take a booming shot once in a while. Now he can't complete even simple passes. If John is any good we should use him.

I'm not sold on Jacobsen either. He seems to be pretty hot and cold inconsistent. And I am still surprised he is preferred over McTavish at that position.

I'll agree with everyone else. When the goal happened I was worried Gomez was offside but when you see the replay he was clearly onside when Tino took his shot.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 17, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

To my mind, Crayon made two bad plays. Coming out on the second goal -- ya gotta make that play or stay in, but it happens all the time. Late in the 2nd half, he made a great save after Jakovic had his pocket picked by Bornstein. On the ensuing play though, he came too far out, and started to retreat, but was badly out of position. He was saved by his defense. He panics, trying to do too much.

I am not 100% sold on Jakovic. He makes a boneheaded play every game. So far, it has not hurt the team, but there has been close calls. He is more confident with the ball on his foot and could prove to be a very good sweeper. He is not there yet.

Jacobson was not good, but I have not given up on him yet. Pontius was off, as was Tino -- but that will get better.

The team did not look good while Galindo and Harris were on the field for Chivas. This is something Tommy will have to work out, if he has the players to do the job. We shall see. I do not think DCU can afford to play without Fred, Gomez and Olsen. A least one of them has to be in the game to manage the flow a little.

Posted by: fischy | May 17, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

is it really this difficult to get a decent goalie? i am not even talking about a guy like hahneman...how did colorado end up with matt pickens? why not us? is aiden brown still playing somewhere? this goalie situation is so tiresome...

Posted by: birdynumnum | May 17, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I don't think people are being fair to Jakovic. He's by far the best defensive signing we made in years. He's got good, pace, he can pass, and he is working in a two man backline (Burch needs to be replaced). Bobby Boswell and Erpen were both more flawed, and officiandos around the league have him in their best 11's.

Do you honestly think that older players are categorically better, due to experience, when all we get is brittle, Slow left overs and South American duds?

Probably your "issues" with him would be eliminated if we replace Burch and Crayton, who make far more errors than one is willing to count. Bottom line: Just because they're thirty or south american doesn't mean bull honky.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 17, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I think Burch has regressed because he was more effective as a LB in a 4-4-2 where he had less man-marking responsibility. In the first game of the year we started Namoff at LB and had Janicki in the center and Jakovic as RB. I'd like to give that another shot.

I agree with those that say McTavish is a great reserve off the bench.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | May 17, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I'd give Wallace a 5; he made a lot of impatient rookie mistakes that killed off advancement.

Posted by: Reignking | May 17, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I think draws are a logical extension of the increased competitiveness of the league and fewer playoff spots overall. Two years ago, you could shrug off an early loss on the road, especially against the top team in the other conference. Now everyone is fighting harder (thanks, Seattle!) and you have to take a point if possible.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | May 17, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Wee keep scoring late because of the personel on the pitch at the time. I want to see Fred and Gomez start along with Quaranta, Morino and Emillio!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 17, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

This wasn't a fair result at all! If the referees had done their jobs properly, the Chivas Goal #1 would have been waived offside. The Chivas Goal #2 would have been called dead after Crayton got plowed. 2-0 DCU.

Posted by: notafembot | May 17, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I think we are fine at CB. Jakovic is doing a decent job and should improve with time and better support. I agree that Burch probably has regressed since the move to 3-5-2. Last I checked man marking is an important part of being a LB though. I think we should keep him as a back-up and find him at least some competition in the transfer window.

If Kocic makes a wonderous improvement or shows great potential I don't have a problem with giving him a chance and not signing a new Keeper in the transfer window. We aren't going to get Hahnemann who says he wants to stay in England. I'm not aware of any other quality Keepers out there who are availible.

Posted by: bighungry | May 17, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

@ bighungry -

as i mentioned earlier, this is the guy i would target (predicated on him being available, wanting to leave europe for the MLS, etc):

Posted by: birdynumnum | May 17, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

That was clearly not a fair result. Even if Gomez does touch the ball he is not offside. Also Moreno does not deserve a five. He turned the ball over a dozen times. We need a keeper, LB, and a DMF for when Olsen is out.

Posted by: no_recess | May 17, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Gomez was clearly onside, the replay is great. And it does look like he re directed it ever so slightly.

Posted by: Pete803 | May 17, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

If it's that close, gotta give the goal. Coaches may hate it, but it's good for the fans.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 17, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I would switch Goff's ratings for Fred and Gomez. Fred made an impact; Gomez not so much, despite Sullivan making him sound like the second coming of Platini.

Burch played good defense against KC, but marginal defense since. With Benny likely to be out for some time, why not go back to a 4-4-2? Burch does rather well in that formation.

Posted by: b18bolo | May 17, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Crayton didn't get plowed. He missed a punch that he should make. If he connects, it is out of danger. He is a liability at this point.

Posted by: billq1 | May 17, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Crayton is awful this year. On the first goal that shouldn't have counted he didn't try hard enough, and on the second... well, that was a joke. He looked like he had cinder blocks on his feet.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 17, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@alan19: "Crayton is terrible. I say it again, is this guy really 31? His reactions out there make him look at least 40."

Really? Did you miss the great reflex save on a point-blank header in the 2nd half when we were down 2-0. It's not Crayton's reflexes that are the problem, it's his decision-making.

"Here again, I criticize the front office for not going out a getting some established defenders."

Like Avery John?

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 17, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

@billq1: "Crayton didn't get plowed. He missed a punch that he should make. If he connects, it is out of danger."

Huh? He did punch the ball out, about a microsecond before colliding with the other player, whose raised (but not extended) forearm hit Crayton right in the noggin.

Posted by: edgeonyou | May 17, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

You're right that he got to the ball before being run into. Except he didn't punch the ball, he thought he was playing volleyball and tried to spike the ball and didn't do a good job at that. If he had punched the ball it would have been out of danger, he slapped it and Chivas scored, keeper mistake. As for McTavish, JoeW has it about right in that he's a utility player. After this last outing, I wouldn't put Jacobson ahead of him. I would say their tied on the depth chart. I think early on in this season you can't read much into the depth chart. Soehn seems to be rotating players around quite a bit, especially in midfield.

Posted by: owendylan | May 17, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

On second thought, after frame by frame replay, Gomez is not offside when Tino strikes that shot. It's not really even close.

Posted by: delantero | May 17, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Crayton's bad play is not just his decision making. Rather, his positioning and technique is quite bad. The second goal was the result of making a decision about what to do a bit late and then making a feeble "punch" at the ball which any goalie coach should use as Exhibit A of How Not to Punch. There where numerous times where he was out of position, which makes his bad decision making all the more dangerous. I would like to see us try some other folks at left defender before we go back to a 4 man back line. We have John, Janicki, McTavish and Wallace that I would like to see back there. If we go to a 4 person backline then how about using wallace on the left. That would allow him to make some runs forward. We could then put Pontius and Fred on the wings. In terms of Jacovich I thought his play was quite strong. Of course, I would like to see him eliminate the once a game bone head plays that he makes, but otherwise I think he has good command in the middle, is a strong tackler, good in the air and good range.

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 17, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Every post asks about available goalies. How about Chris Seitz of UMD and US U-19 fame? He is behind Rimando at ST.L.C.Trade for him;I bet that he would prefer being here.Coach Peter.

Posted by: bechtoldpk | May 17, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

JkR:

That's exactly what I was thinking about Chivas. It's been awhile since an MLS team was this organized, athletic, and committed as a team to not allowing goals. The reason we got back into the game was that they subbed off their explosive offensive threats (Galindo and Harris), which in turn allowed us to push our lines up higher. They responded by dropping back, and eventually the game was being played entirely in their end. It's rare for Preki to make a mistake, but taking Harris off was a big one (Galindo was due to fitness, so it's hard to blame Preki there).

fischy:

When a team that plays like Chivas has speedy attackers to boot, Soehn's responses have varied. Against NY (a team that wants to play like Chivas but has too many inept defenders to do so), I thought we dropped our back three a bit deeper than normal. Last night, we pushed up high like we do at home. There's got to be a happy medium, other than hoping Jakovic can catch whoever it is.

On Jacobson:

As a replacement for Olsen, I haven't been impressed. I know he's supposed to be a guy that can do the dirty work, but also make some late runs and become something of a goal threat, but his passing when in this position is a problem.

When paired with Olsen (thus playing the more defensive role of the two), he looked good. He kept his passes simple, made some strong tackles, and still got near enough to goal to be in range on a long shot. You do have to factor in the fact that playing alongside Olsen makes everyone better, but the important thing was how he fit into the Simms role rather than that of Olsen.

I didn't expect it to turn out this way, but I think Olsen's best replacement out of the current squad is McTavish, while Jacobson might be our best option to replace Simms.

On Crayton:

I think his decision making has gotten worse this year. Last year, he took plenty of risks coming off his line, but he often did well enough to clear the ball or at least put the ball in a place where another one of our players could clear it. This year, he's coming for things he just isn't going to get. I have been openly in favor of Crayton over Kocic, but the 2nd Chivas goal probably ended that line of thinking for me. They're both not good enough right now, but a) Crayton costs a lot more and b) Kocic will get better. However, if the club wants to win titles this year, we will need to get a new keeper. Either that, or we're going to have to score at an even higher rate than we already are.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 17, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

More!

On Burch:

I guess I watched an entirely different game from everyone else. Burch is taking a beating here, and I don't know why. On the 2nd goal, he was the closest person to Lillingston, but things had become so chaotic thanks to Crayton's non-clearance that Burch had dropped onto the line in case a shot came in. He bears some responsibility, but Crayton takes the lion's share and a couple other players were also doing little to help stop the goal.

Other than that, I thought Burch made plenty of good tackles, and came out of several 1v1 moments with the ball. There was some rockiness in the relationship between him and Wallace (evidenced by Harris getting 2 assists), but in our formation Harris was far more Wallace's responsibility. I feel that Burch is being very harshly treated here, despite a lack of anyone explaining why they feel that way. I'm not saying he was brilliant, but people are treating him like he was Scott Vermillion.

SG's ratings:

I have some disagreements here. I think Namoff was only worth a 5 (not bad, but not nearly at the level he's been playing at this year), while Burch deserves a bump up to a 5. Jakovic was a 6 for me after the game, but thinking it over I could see maybe 6.5.

In the midfield, I thought Pontius and Wallace both struggled. Pontius was erratic positionally, and generally looked like someone who was trying to force things. As I detailed above, I thought Wallace let a fairly one-dimensional player in Harris own that side of the field in the 1st half, so I think a 6 is right out. 4.5 for both.

Quaranta got a 6 from me, and I feel like that's generous. Yeah, he got a goal and an assist, but he was really terrible in terms of passing all night. His cross to Emilio was the only good attacking pass that I remember him making all night. I love the kid for his heart in fighting through such a poor game to still make an impact, but I would bet he had more giveaways than anyone else on either team. I agree on Emilio, but if he didn't score we'd be looking at a 4.

As for the subs, Jacobson lost the ball too often but took up good positions defensively (even if his tackling wasn't quite as authoritative as it has been). I can live with a 5 for him. Fred changed the game for us. Even with no appreciable product, his dribbling and positive mindset were the biggest contribution any player made to the momentum swing. I'd give him a 6.5. Gomez offered some decent passes and touches, but Chivas mostly forced him to find someone else rather than be the matchwinner himself. As such, I say 5.5 (the .5 coming due to whatever influence he had over the ball and Thornton on the equalizer).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 17, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what people are looking at: Gomez was most definitely NOT offsides when Tino struck the ball, and Gomez didn't ever touch it, anyway. It's not even really that close. So, no, not a fair result: United got jobbed.

Posted by: jsm91 | May 18, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Chest when was the last time you saw Burch actually play well? That's my point.

Jsm Gomez admitted to touching the ball!!!

Posted by: bighungry | May 18, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

How is this even a debate? Stop the video when Q. hits the ball: Gomez is well behind the last defender. He's not even close to offsides. Correct call on the field.

Posted by: Danno1313 | May 18, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Goff just put a clip up that shows Gomez was onside.

Posted by: bighungry | May 18, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Hey Chest - love your posts man. Besides Goff, you are the main reason I read this blog. Thanks for all the insights.

Posted by: regularfan | May 18, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse