United, WPS Brazilian Updates

*D.C. United midfielder Fred, who was not available for Saturday's match against Dallas at RFK because of a family emergency, returned to training today and seems likely to travel to Kansas City tomorrow for Wednsday night's match with the Wizards (8:30 p.m. ET, Comcast SportsNet).

*I expect to hear an official diagnosis late this afternoon or tonight on the severity of the leg injury to St. Louis Athletica star Daniela. She was scheduled to accompany the team home from Washington today and undergo further examination by team doctors. Initial reviews late last night indicated that she did not suffer ACL damage, but that the injury is quite serious.

By Steve Goff  |  May 4, 2009; 12:04 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Observations
Next: Wildest Match Ever?!

Comments

damn. get well soon daniela.

Posted by: KG118 | May 4, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think Crayton will be starting in net these next two games? Or has Kocic made claim the starting GK spot?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | May 4, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I think the only reason Kocic played the last game was his 2-0 shutout a week earlier over the same team. I expect Crayton to be back on Wednesday night.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 4, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

It was enjoyable watching Daniela play. She shows the confidence/creativity/brashness that seems to typify the Brazilian style of play. Her blast from 25 yards was worthy of any MLS game.

If Abby was responding to the beating she had taken all game, then it was misdirected. It was St. Louis' two central defenders who were knocking her around. That said, Wambach knows only one way to play - hard.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 4, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see what the actual injury is.

Posted by: sitruc | May 4, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Do you have any info on this Mr. Goff? About Crayton or Kocic?

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | May 4, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Steve - sincerely appreciate the updates - was unable to find anything re: status of Daniela - and happy to hear it's not her ACL. We were at the game last night - Our seats are right behind the visitors bench - she was in a lot of pain. Not sure why no one protected her from the rain - where were the blankets or tarps? I thought more of the folks at the Plex...expected them to be more organized when it comes to an injury....instead Daniela just lay there on a stretcher - in the rain with EMT's next to her watching the game.... Great game otherwise - level of play fantastic - good comeback from Washington. Hope to see Daniela on the pitch again soon....

Posted by: brfan67 | May 4, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Goff indicated that Soehn thought a home game repeat against Dallas would be a good way to get Kocic a league start. He hasn't replaced Crayton.

Posted by: fischy | May 4, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

That really sucks. Right when the announcers said no one was around when she fell, it reminded me when I tore my ACL in Nationals, all the way in Florida. (I live in Cal.)
I'm still recovering! I wont get back until September and I hurt it November. It's probably one of the worst injuries a soccer player can get.

Posted by: makailagriggs | May 4, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse