USA Roster Projections

USA Coach Bob Bradley is making final roster preparations for the busiest and most important stretch for the national team since the last World Cup:

June 3: qualifier at Costa Rica (the Americans have never won there)
June 6: qualifier vs. Honduras in Chicago (the last CONCACAF team to win here)
June 15: Confederations Cup vs. Italy (I hear they're good)
June 18: Confederations Cup vs. Brazil (I hear they're okay too)
June 21: Confederations Cup vs. Egypt (African champions)

That will get your blood flowing, eh?

Barring injuries and last-minute adjustments, the group for the qualifiers will then head directly from Chicago to South Africa for the Confederations Cup, a contrived tournament that, nonetheless, will give the Americans a taste of world-class competition a year before the World Cup.

Training camp opens next Tuesday in Miami. The list might be unveiled late this week. It will include approximately 22 names.

Who will make the USA squad?

Keep reading.....

Let's start with the easy stuff -- goalkeepers -- and go with Tim Howard and Brad Guzan. For the qualifiers, the USA will only need two keepers. For the Confederations Cup, there is likely to be a third, per FIFA requirements. It doesn't make sense to take an in-season player to serve as the No. 3 goalie (Troy Perkins), so let's figure a European-based keeper whose season is over (Marcus Hahnemann).

The obvious defenders are Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Danny Califf and Frankie Hejduk. Jonathan Spector has been playing semi-regularly for West Ham, so we'll add him to the mix. Left back is an issue because Heath Pearce has fallen out of favor at Hansa Rostock and has not played first-team matches. Nonetheless, his USA experience the past year earns a call. As a back-up, let's figure Jonathan Bornstein. Does Jay DeMerit get the call for central depth?

In the midfield: Michael Bradley, Clint Dempsey, Maurice Edu, DaMarcus Beasley, Pablo Mastroeni, Sacha Kljestan, Jose Francisco Torres and Ricardo Clark.

At forward, Landon Donovan, Brian Ching, Jozy Altidore (who has returned to training after a toe injury) and either Eddie Johnson or Charlie Davies.

That leaves out MF Robbie Rogers, RB Marvell Wynne, RB Steve Cherundolo (injured), CB Michael Parkhurst (in season), D Michael Orozco and MF-F Freddy Adu. Has F Josh Wolff (six goals in nine MLS matches) re-entered the picture?

Overall thoughts?

By Steve Goff  |  May 20, 2009; 11:16 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Confederations Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: Remembering Alan Kelly

Comments

Has F Josh Wolff (six goals in nine MLS matches) re-entered the picture?

You're a funny guy, Steve!!!!

Posted by: Hoost | May 20, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I know he has never received a call-up, but I would have to add Zac Whitbread to that list and possibly Parkhurst or Geoff Cameron. I don't know if DeMerit inspires real confidence in Bradley because if he did DeMerit would have started at El Salvador and not Califf. I don't think Rogers will get the call-up because he is not in form. I would expect someone like a Colin Clark or Holden.

Posted by: no_recess | May 20, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Zak & Adu for the Gold Cup.

Posted by: Reignking | May 20, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I doubt we'll see much new blood for the qualifiers and Confed, so this looks about right. I'd think someone like Colin Clark or Stuart Holden would best be served by the less-pressure Gold Cup.

As for Califf, I'm not comparing him to Gooch, but Gooch had a nightmare in Mexico in 05 and bounced back. I wouldn't necessarily throw Califf under the bus yet.

Posted by: ZidVicious | May 20, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

norecess, I think Goff is talking WCQ and Confed Cup rosters, not Gold Cup. I could see Colin, Whitbred, and Holden getting a nod for the Gold Cup, but not now. As for your potential roster Goff, maybe its me, but I don't see Edu, Ricardo Clark, Sacha, AND Pablo all being called in. Surely they have another winger out there?

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 20, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Ugh. Left back is such a gaping vortex. I hope Spector or Bornstein get a look there.

Has EJ played his way into a callup as a super sub for a Championship club? Maybe not, but I'd bet that he has. Davies has obviously had himself a couple years in Sweden, but this may not be the time to get him more caps - I'm sure he'll figure prominently into the Gold Cup.

I'd agree that the midfield seems pretty set. Does Kljestan get starts despite being the invisible man so far in MLS? Or will it be the Bradley/Edu show?

Posted by: the_slammer | May 20, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

ZidVicious |

Nobody is throwing Califf under the bus. He is just too slow to get out of the way. I personally, I don't know how Bradely feels, think the guy stinks. If you want more proof look at the last round against T&T. His marking was poor and he is slow to react. However somebody must see something in him because he plays in a decent Euro League.

Posted by: no_recess | May 20, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Davies over EJ. I would like to see Freddy Adu on the roster. I think he has been good as a second half offensive substitution.

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 20, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Steve,

Is Bradley planning to call in more players than he needs for the initial camp? If so, then maybe he:

1. calls in Simek and Whitbread in addition to the other backs you mentioned to compete for the back-up slots with Spector, Califf, DeMerit and Bornstein.

2. calls in Adu or (much more farfetched) Feilhaber to push Klejstan a bit given his lack of form lately.

3. I hope he calls in Davies and Whitbread together. One could practice throwing elows while the other shows how he can take them!

Posted by: LostinPotomac | May 20, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

As much as I'd like to see some unused Yanks Abroad for the gold cup, I really would rather Bradley doesn't mess with preseasons with their club, esp in a World Cup year. I was anti-Jozy playing in the Olympics, so I'd rather not have fringe guys missing out on too much preseason and affecting their playing time during the season.

Posted by: ZidVicious | May 20, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Jozy's season has 5 more games left, until the end of June...not like he would play, anyway.

Posted by: Reignking | May 20, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Agoos before Danny Trafficcone

Posted by: Golazo | May 20, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

If Pachuca makes the Mexican League final, Torres won't be in camp for more than a cup of coffee before heading to Costa Rica.

Posted by: StanShmenge | May 20, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

There will be no non-pool players call for this or the Gold Cup, that time has passed. This Summer's competitions are for more seasoned players not guys you might take a flyer on.

Posted by: euroman | May 20, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Reignking - Gold Cup goes through July, so it affects Preseasons for European clubs. Not this season. I was using Jozy in the Olympics as an example

Posted by: ZidVicious | May 20, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I would not expect Wolff to be called up for this round, but his recent form does deserve a look for the Gold Cup, with the "B" team. He's shown he still has the speed, and he may have better touch than in the past.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Left Back, any word on keeping the DMB experiment going? Or how about Bobby Convey, either at LB, or just in the mix at all?

Neither are smaller than Ashley Cole.

Posted by: wmsiii | May 20, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Please tell me Mastroeni will not be on the roster. After his debacle of a performance in Germany '06, he should never wear a USA jersey again.

Posted by: PVGtownAz | May 20, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Danny Califf is, well, dookie.

That consideration needs to be over yesterday.

Posted by: anonymousinva | May 20, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Wolff should get an opportunity to be a veteran on a younger Gold Cup squad. I also think that someone like Convey (if his form picks up a bit) would have the opportunity to re-establish himself on the National Team front (but only as a Left Midfielder).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Eddie Lewis make the trip to South Africa if only to add some more veteran leadership and provide some depth on the left.

Posted by: TCompton | May 20, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I understand that we are in mid season, but I think Kasey Keller is playing some pretty decent soccer right now. HE should be in the mix too...I would like Keller # 2 behind Howard, with Hanneman at #3, leaving Guzan as the odd man out...I know he will probably be there, but Guzan has not played enough to be in the mix IMHO...

Posted by: alan19 | May 20, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Eddie Lewis should still be in the mix for the USA squad. I doubt he makes the trip to South Africa, but I think he's worthy.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

ZidVicious, just pointing out to all that Jozy's season is long, that's all.

Posted by: Reignking | May 20, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Namoff

Posted by: delantero | May 20, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

@delantero -- I wouldn't rule that out for the Gold Cup.... I think his play the last 2 years really deserves a look with the national team.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Ching is going to get eaten up by Italy and Brazil, hopefully we start Altidore instead. If a certain striker in Dallas ever decides to have an aerial game I would prefer him, but at this point it's an irrelevant thought.

Am I the only US fan that isn't impressed by Guzan, granted I haven't watched every one of his games, but what I have seen always looked average. Maybe I am biased but I prefer Perkins.

I don't think he deserves it but I would rather have Adu than Beasley if Beasley isn't going to play left wing. This whole having him play at left back is stupid. And I think Beasley is overrated. I liked Convey but he is prone to injury and hasn't seen much playing time prior to joining San Jose.

Posted by: bighungry | May 20, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"I wouldn't rule that out for the Gold Cup.... "

Yeah, don't think he's qualifier ready yet, but given Cherundolo's injuries, we need someone to step up and Namoff continues as Mr. Steady . . . Wynne is probably a bit higher on the depth chart though

Posted by: delantero | May 20, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"I understand that we are in mid season, but I think Kasey Keller is playing some pretty decent soccer right now. HE should be in the mix too...I would like Keller # 2 behind Howard, with Hanneman at #3..."

Keller has retired from the USMNT. Otherwise he would not be playing in Seattle.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 20, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Dallas without Kenny Cooper...yikes...

Posted by: Reignking | May 20, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Lots of whacky comments today.

1) Kasey Keller retired from the natl team years ago.

2) Calling up Josh Wolf and Eddie Lewis? Is that a joke? Why not throw in O'Brien. Claudia Reyne? I also think the Eddie Pope is still walking. Peter Vermes is still involved in the game so why not? Eric Wynalda maybe could make a come back.

3) Perkins over Guzman? Really?

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 20, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

"I need to WAXTAP a keg for this weekend."

@Joel_M_Lane: how'd I do?

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 20, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Took me a while to figure out who "Guzman" was...

Posted by: Reignking | May 20, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I would think seriously about calling up Wolf. He's a veteran and he's hungry. Hungry like the wolf.

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | May 20, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

@bighungry -- if you see my comment in the kickaround thread about Cervi, you'll see I agree I'm not sold on Guzan. However, he's light years ahead of Perkins. Guzan will be Howard's back-up next year in South Africa. The question for me is whether he will be Howard's successor for 2014, or whether it will be someone else in the national team program -- Cervi, Seitz, or maybe a wild card such as Robles. Or, maybe Howard will still be the default #1, even at 34-35.

Even if Guzan is the man in 4 years, I suspect it'll be a short run. He'll be young enough to continue as the #1, but I feel sure there will be stronger options by then (Perk, McMath, or Lambo-- maybe even DCU Academy player Bill Hamid).

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

If you are going to try and be punny, at least spell his name right. It's Wolff.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | May 20, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of which -- Gold Cup. Does Robles get a look, or is Hahnemmann the man? Perkins?

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Adu should be on the roster. If it's because he's not playing, then he needs to get on a team that will play him.

Like him or not, he can do things on the field that others can not. He can be dangerous offensively for the usmnt.

Posted by: rhbancroft | May 20, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Keller ever stated he was retired from USMNT consideration. In fact, it was only two years ago that he said he still wanted to be in the mix. He openly stated he wanted to go to one more World Cup which is why he continued to play for the Nats after 2006. Friedel is the one who retired years ago.

Posted by: LostinPotomac | May 20, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: getanewnumber10 | May 20, 2009 1:29 PM
----------------------------
Since it's coming from me, New10, you may consider this a backhanded compliment, but I say: "Well in!"

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 20, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I dont think anyone has suggested this yet but i think if your gonna have Wolff up for consideration then Conor Casey should get some luv as well. His form with Colorado has been impressive, especially since i personally never saw how he played in Germany but while in MLS I totally see how he got some caps earlier in his career.

Posted by: DjB55 | May 20, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: euroman | May 20, 2009 12:06 PM

**********************

Do you know that or are you just guessing at it? Many folks would agree with you that bringing in new faces a year before the World Cup is too late in the process. But then, Donovan and Beasley were not yet regulars in the summer of 2001.

If Bradley uses the same 23-man pool (give or take a few) for the 2 June qualifiers, the Confed Cup, Gold Cup and the qualifier in Mexico in August - then he's going to have some tired players for the year leading to the World Cup.

Personally I hope Bradley WAXTAPs some of the more marginal outliers for the Gold Cup.

Well done, JoeDoc.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 20, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm not even going to say what I'm planning to WAXTAP this weekend.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"planning to WAXTAP this weekend."

Don't need to know your gf's grooming habits.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 20, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Too much?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 20, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@Fischy as a shot stopper I agree with you, but I like the way perkins controls the box and handles crosses. Granted he does let in soft goals sometimes, but I think he organizes the defense well. I haven't seen how he has done in Valerenga these last two seasons so my info is a little dated.

And I think Keller is in Seattle because he washed out of everywhere else. His second division German team wouldn't resign him. He is old, even for a goalie he getting up there. AND he wasn't playing well until he came to Seattle. I think everyone was surprised by his form when he started this season.

Posted by: bighungry | May 20, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I wish Cherundolo was healthy. I'm not a Califf fan. Also not a Pearce fan. I'd rather see Beasley at left back again.

Posted by: Brokenbil | May 20, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Perkins is playing regularly. Guzan is not. Perkins deserves a chance at beating out Guzan. I haven't seen Guzan do anything recently that justifies him being the solid #2.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | May 20, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@bighungry -- better that you stick to stuff you know.

Keller washed out? Not playing well before Seattle? He helped keep Fulham in the top-flight last season, including a shutout in the must-win final game. Without him, they're fighting for promotion in the Championship this year, not contending for European competition.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think Keller ever stated he was retired from USMNT consideration... Friedel is the one who retired years ago."

Ah so - I stand corrected.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 20, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

This team needs some size - we are too small

Posted by: lylewimbledon | May 20, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Also, Keller never played for a 2nd division team in Germany -- though Borussia Mönchengladbach was relegated after his 2nd season there. He signed a contract with Fulham, an EPL side, after that. Hardly a step down.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@Brokenbil: I'm not yet sold on DB at left back. He's simply too light. I prefer a guy like Wynne, especially when it comes to Cup qualifying and all of the nastiness associated with it.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 20, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

@Fischy Keller got picked-up by Fulham because Neimi was injured. He was promtly let go and replaced by Australia's #1 keeper. Not exactly as sign of dominance. The only reason Keller played at the end of Fulham's season is the same reason neimi reitred at the end of the season, his wrist injury. If Keller played that well why isn't he in England?

Posted by: bighungry | May 20, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Again, Mönchengladbach were relegated and they decided to go with a younger keeper and did not resign Keller. Now objectively maybe he was too expensive, but if he was still on form I think they would have retained him. He didn't sign with Fulham until midseason, being without a job because he wasn't getting any offers other than MLS who didn't want to pay him Beckham Rule money.

Posted by: bighungry | May 20, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Ummm The team needs SIZE??? HAHAHAHA

See: Messi, David Villa, and Andres Iniesta

Trust me, size is the LEAST of our worries.

Posted by: arswift24 | May 20, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Perkins is playing regularly . .

Perkins had a call up against (?) last year and had a terrible game. I doubt he's really in consideration for a top spot . . maybe for the Gold Cup, but not qualifiers.

Posted by: delantero | May 20, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Keller was thrilled to have the chance to play at Seattle? He might have been able to catch on with another European side that needed a veteran 'keeper. It made economic sense for him to return and play here -- to establish a name for himself in MLS, and set up himself up for future opportunities here, in broadcasting, coaching or management.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why you get getting all offended by me saying Keller wasn' playing well until he came to Seatlle. He was utter garbage in the World Cup and he got dropped by two teams in a row do the math. Yes he wanted to go to Seattle because it's near where he grew up and they are paying him a lot of money. That doesn't mean he was playing well.

Posted by: bighungry | May 20, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Michael Orozco should get the nod for central depth instead of DeMerit. Let's start molding the future.

Goff your midfield has too many defensive midfielders.

And of course Davies over Johnson anytime!

Posted by: silentbat | May 20, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The first choice to step in in central defense should unquestionably be Demerit, as I honestly thinks he's more solid than Boca and Onyewu, but that hasn't really been tested. Califf is frankly disgusting to me, as is Pearce.

No-recess, I think I read that article, too. Zak, Holden, all these were mentioned in an ESPN speculation. As for Wolff... he looks way better than he did the last time he was brought into the fold. I hated how he played before, but why not, we're not rolling in great forwards.

Charlie Davies and his elbows over EJ and his mental weakness.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 20, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1 -- "Too much?"

Yup.
Plussing as which, if might be bf, not gf.

Posted by: tendcpl | May 20, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

If WAXTAP loses, will they get all argy-bargy and shun the Insider?

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 20, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@bh -- clearly, the US would haven much better served with Friedel in goal in '06. But, you don't need to unfairly knock Keller to make that point. Your math doesn't add up. He's a fine goalie.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update Steve, but I do see a glaring error, and a glaring omission, and one thing I simply don't agree with.

First, the omission. Our LB the last qualifier was Beasley, how could you fail to comment on it after discussing the LB problems?

Second, the error. Adu has already Tweeted about making the cut. The players already know. He's in.

Third, I don't agree. No way Rico Clark makes the roster, that would be six CM's, and four/five are ahead of him: Bradley, Mastroeni, Edu, Torres, and Kljestan. Though Kljestan and Torres can play wide, no way we take 5/6 CM's.

Here's the roster, the locks (14)
GK: Howard, Guzan