Video: Libertadores Golazo!

The second of Martin Palermo's two goals for Boca Juniors against Tachira during a 3-0 Copa Libertadores victory:

By Steve Goff  |  May 1, 2009; 10:15 AM ET
Categories:  Libertadores
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: United News & Notes

Comments

Saw this stuff last night. Awesome. Do you have a clip of dejected Gallardo riding the pine?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 1, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Gallardo is at River Plate, not Boca Juniors.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 1, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

So....A couple of years ago, the rumor hit this site about DCU pursuing Palermo..or, maybe it was just some wishful thinking. And some of ya'll said DC didn't need a washed up striker like Palermo. 'Fess up!

Posted by: fischy | May 1, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

My bad -- it was just over a year ago:
---------------------------------------

Palermo would have been nice 3-4 years ago, but too old now.

Posted by: JLMAN | May 2, 2008 10:05 AM
--------------------------------------------

Based on the athleticism and skill he showed on that goal, I think he'd be nice even now.

Maybe, the summer transfer window?

Posted by: fischy | May 1, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Sign Palermo? Are we aiming to be the Danny Snyders of MLS? I've pretty much had it with bringing in superstars, who are usually (1)over the hill and (2)scheming to get back to their home country or more prestigious soccer leagues. Now, if you could guarantee that Palermo would play like Schelotto or Angel, let's talk....

Posted by: b18bolo | May 1, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I doubt he'd come. He was our first choice for DP, as I recall, way back when Beckham was pretending he cared.

Also, I think we've learned our lesson with aging Argentinians. Oh wait. We never learn that lesson.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 1, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Gallardo is at River Plate, not Boca Juniors.

Posted by: WorldCup | May 1, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Thanks a lot genius... I was referring to ALL the Libertadores highlights I watched last night, which featured a doll sitting on a bench. Who's the know it all now? I should have been more clear, but that would be out of character...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 1, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Even more impressive than that bike and his ex-gf's is this:

Posted by: adamsunited | May 1, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

as a son of a river plate fan and a river plate fan myself this goal is crap!!! :)

Posted by: dcserge | May 1, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | May 1, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I will always be against Palermo coming to DC. Why? The guy never scored on a consistent basis outside of Boca. He scores amazing goals for Boca; always has, always will.

However, the guy is the Boca version of Gallardo, plays well for one club but not any other. Ever see him get called up for the Argentine National team since 1999? No, because when he did play for Argentina, he stunk it up.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | May 1, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

One of my old club teammates who played a year of high school ball at Whitman played for Deportiva Tachira a few years back.

Posted by: KeeperPat | May 1, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse