Wambach, Freedom Updates

Mary Harvey, WPS's chief operating officer, says of the Abby Wambach-Daniela incident: "We are carefully reviewing the play, just as we are reviewing other physical plays and yellow cards issued over the weekend. The review must play out properly and thoroughly before any judgments can be made."

Wambach issued a statement today, saying: "I've been in contact with a close friend on the [St. Louis] team to stay updated [on Daniela's condition]. Unfortunately soccer is a physical game and players do get injured. There was no intent on my side to cause any harm. ... My thoughts and prayers are with her."

Meantime, Canadian goalkeeper Erin McLeod has been approved for a work visa and is expected to arrive in Washington this week. The Freedom has conceded 12 goals in five matches, and although current goalies Briana Scurry and Kati Jo Spisak are not solely to blame, McLeod could end up becoming the starter in time for the May 17 match at Boston.

French defender/midfielder/wing/forward Sonia Bompastor (two goals) was named WPS player of the week.

By Steve Goff  |  May 5, 2009; 6:51 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Euro Matchday: Arsenal-Manchester United
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

I'm really looking forward to McLeod standing in front of the net for the Freedom. Bompastor was easily the MVP for the Freedom on Sunday. The title is a deserved recognition.

Posted by: sitruc | May 5, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

sitruc, I'm with you. I say let's get the canuck in ASAP and see if the defense can "jell" with her in there. I'm not blaming Scurry (I will always love Bri) or KJ but I say.

Bompastor deserves the props. She handles biznez. Seriously. Just imagine where we would be without her.

I got $5 that says that the friend that Abby is referring to is NOT named Hope Solo.

Any takers?

Posted by: yankiboy | May 5, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

"defender/midfielder/wing/forward"

are you sure we can't tack "goalie" onto that as well? i think she needs a nickname - if she was Swiss, we could call her the "Swiss Army Knife" for her versatility. i was thinking maybe "The Wonder" or "Super Sonia" but those both sound a bit cheesy.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 5, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Yo Goff!

Are you going to give some press to the UNITED FORCES effort before this weekend's TFC game?

Posted by: lprevolution | May 5, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

i saw one nickname on facebook:
ms. bompastic very fantastic

very well-deserved. two in a row for freedom! the only other team w/ two players of the week is the la sol. which is #1 in the standings. yet freedom is #5. just sayin'. i'm really hoping mcleod - and this bye week - will change things for the better.

abby could have been talking about lori chalupny...?

Posted by: KG118 | May 5, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

now that we can move on from the intense ultraposting re: one injured player...

Posted by: inzzo79 | May 5, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Wambach can say she's sorry all she wants, but she's got a history of this type of reckless play, including the one that cost her a trip to the world cup.

Posted by: teo_68 | May 5, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I only saw the replay that Steve embedded, and thought it was a badly timed, but not malicious, tackle. But Abby's statement leaves me scratching my head. It's not an apology. She doesn't say that she's talked to Daniela personally. It's just, well, an empty statement. That it was issued through a PR person (probably the Freedom's) leaves me even more perplexed.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 5, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Of course it is not an apology. Wambach has nothing to apologize for. There was no intent to injure. It was a pretty soft, powder-puff tackle, if ill-timed, and Daniela got caught with her leg in a bad position. If Daniela does not know the risks of playing professional soccer, then she whould quit. Daniela and her peeps (including the ones on this board) need to quit with the drama queen/martyr complex.

Posted by: Ron16 | May 6, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

I-270, Come on, Bro. What sort statement are you expecting? She is still waiting to hear if she is going to be suspended.

Daniela might not be ready to talk with her. She is probably using her girl on the Athletica to try and feel out the situation before she contacts Daniela directly.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 6, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Teo, Abby goes hard. The full 90 and then some. But to say that she "has a history" is a bit harsh. She's not Joey Barton...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 6, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Found this wikipedia entry about the other French player Freedom drafted, Necib

"She has been labeled by the French media as the female Zinedine Zidane, primarily due to her having Algerian roots, growing up in Marseille like Zidane, and having immense skill."

Why couldn't Freedom sign her? I noticed that the OL team she's playing on (and Bompastor left) also has Nordby the Norwegian keeper and Schelin the Swedish striker. So that must be some decent ball.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 6, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

now that we can move on from the intense ultraposting re: one injured player...

Posted by: inzzo79 | May 5, 2009 10:20 PM
_________________________________________

Goff laid down the rules for this blog at the very start: If you are not personally interested in any particular topic under discussion, you are perfectly free to skip over posts dealing with that topic.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 6, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Another detailed take on the game --

Posted by: OWNTF | May 6, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

@Ron16 y yankiboy: My point is, why make a statement at all? It's as if the PR person told Abby that she should address the issue and they came up with a few words that make complete sentences but don't mean anything.

"It was a pretty soft, powder-puff tackle"

Abby is an aggressive player and, IIRC, force = mass x acceleration. So her tackles will never be powder-puff.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 6, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

It was not a 'soft powder puff' tackle by any means, it was late, it was two-footed, and it started way too close to Daniela...it's exactly the type of tackle that has no chance of cleanly winning the ball and a big chance of injuring somebody.

Clumsy and extremely reckless and she should apologize because while she may not have gone in looking for blood it was a shoddy, amateurish, challenge that endangered the health (and career?) of another athlete. And it's not the first tackle of the kind she's come out with.

Somebody suggested calling her 'Hristo', I'd suggest 'Scholes' instead.

Posted by: teo_68 | May 6, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

@I-270, just another example of me I being a day late & a dollar short.

Sometimes your genius just overwhelms me Bro. Be patient with me. I am a work in progresss.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 6, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see what WPS think tank/mgt. does. New league. Two star players involved. Season ending injury. Little precedent. Referee performance questioned. Quasi-apologies.

Great to see Bompastor the player of the week (Daniela could have been).

Posted by: MR1Caretaker | May 6, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

MR1-Great freaking point that I missed out on. Had she not been injured, Daniela would have probably been the Player of the Week. With the injury mess, not going with her was probably a very calculated decision as to not raise the heat on the tackle. I seriously think that the league was hoping to sort of duck this one if they could...

Great point.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 6, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Can we get back to GK? Anyone know how much of an upgrade McLeod might be? Was she #1 for Canada ahead of LeBlanc? (Freedom's 12 Goals Against is by far the worst in WPS.)

Posted by: JefComment | May 6, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

McLeod was the #1 goalkeeper for Canada ahead of the LeBlanc for most of 2008. She has played really well for them especially against the US. In the Peace Queen Cup the US won on a last minute goal in the 90th minute otherwise it would have go to overtime and in the Four Nations Tournament last year US had to win on PK's. The only bad game I have seen her have was the 6-0 beating she took against the US at RFK and I think that was more of a case of the US really clicking for that game instead of faulty goalkeeper- Kai had her hat trick that game! I am also pretty sure she was playing against the US in the quarterfinals against the US when she torn her ACL in the Olympics. Hopefully she has recovered from the injury because she is a quality keeper.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | May 6, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse