Wednesday Kickaround

*Atlante, the Mexican club based in Cancun, is going to the United Arab Emirates after defeating Cruz Azul in the two-leg CONCACAF Champions League finals.

*UEFA selects venues for the 2012 European Championship.

*The Washington Freedom has decided to not appeal forward Abby Wambach's one-game suspension. She will miss Sunday's match at Boston.

*D.C. United is comical. On a more serious note, read my story about the club's propensity for falling behind and staging late rallies.

*In the second game of the Canadian Championship, Toronto FC hosts defending champion Montreal tonight at BMO Field.

*The World Cup qualifying playoffs between the fourth-place team from CONCACAF and the fifth-place side from South America will be held Nov. 14 and 18.

*After the Japanese federation bailed out on friendlies because of swine flu (run for your lives!), the USA and Canada women's national teams have decided to get together and play each other May 25 in Toronto (Fox Soccer Channel). Japan had committed to play the Americans May 20 and 23 and Canada on May 25.

Keep reading for Americans Abroad and Soccer on TV.....

*Americans Abroad:
MF Michael Bradley and Moenchengladbach at Energie Cottbus
D Carlos Bocanegra and Rennes vs. Caen
F Freddy Adu and Monaco vs. Sochaux
MFs Maurice Edu and DaMarcus Beasley for Rangers at Hibernian
D Michael Parkhurst and Nordsjaelland vs. Sonderjylland
F Charlie Davies and Hammarby at Mjallby
D Michael Orozco and San Luis vs. Nacional (Copa Libertadores)

*Soccer on TV:
France, Nice-Marseille 1 p.m. Setanta
Italian Cup, Lazio-Sampdoria 2:30 p.m. GolTV
England, Wigan-Manchester United 3 p.m. Setanta
France, Valenciennes-Bordeaux 6 p.m. Setanta
Mexico, Tecos-Pumas 8 p.m. Telefutura
Copa Libertadores, Gremio-San Martin 9 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Copa Libertadores, Recife-Palmeiras midnight FSE

By Steve Goff  |  May 13, 2009; 8:48 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , Club World Cup , D.C. United , European Championship , Freedom , MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team , USL , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Americans Abroad, Tuesday Edition
Next: Poll: Euro Final

Comments

Monday is a strange day. I guess that means we won't lose WPS players for call-ups.

Posted by: sitruc | May 13, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

It's disappointing that Atlante is representing CONCACAF. That team is such a bunch of punks.

Anyone want to guess how many years it will be until we see another MLS team win CONCACAF?

Given our luck, I'm going to guess that by the time an MLS team does win it, FIFA will decide to scrap the World Club Championship.

Posted by: TCompton | May 13, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

That comic was actually pretty cool. Very entertaining and worth the 6 minutes.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 13, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

On the topic of an MLS team winning CCL, I would say Chicago would stand a fair chance, but they'd draw all their group games and apparently Chivas USA is infallibale, but I don't think they're in it this year. Of course, I could be wrong.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 13, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Tom Hanks on the Daily Show last night said that he was in Tokyo for the premiere of his movie, and the Japanese were freaking out about the flu at the airport. Seems that Japan is taking it a bit more seriously than others.

Posted by: Reignking | May 13, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Moenchengladbach... I believe that's the sound fischy makes after one too many drinks at Molly's.

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 13, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I tend to shun the graphic novel, but that comic was epic....

Posted by: JkR- | May 13, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | May 13, 2009 8:57 AM
__________________________________________

Monday is indeed a strange day, but I hope this sets a precedent of no more friendlies on weekends while WPS is in action. But this does raise the question of whether the players will be expected to be with their clubs through the weekend, and then fly north and take the pitch without having practiced together. If not, we may not see Wambach and McLeod at RFK after all.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 13, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm canceling my trip to Canada because of branched-chain ketoaciduria

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 13, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Isn't there a policy that national team players need to be available at least 2 days before an international game? I thought I read that somewhere but I can't remember where. If that's the case then once again no Abby for the double header (McLeod too?).

Monday is a weird day, but then again it's Memorial day so it's cool.

Posted by: KG118 | May 13, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Ridiculous! Namoff's the guy who catches the stadium when it falls down...

Posted by: DadRyan | May 13, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Unless something has changed Michael Orozco will NOT be playing Libertadores Cup games as San Luis and Guadalajara are out of the competition due to the swine flu fears, recriminations, and overall brouhaha (or fluhaha).

Some of the other teams involved in Libertadores are complaining about the fact that the Mexican teams' opponents recieved byes to the quarterfinals:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 13, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I like the part about Montezuma Cero punching and spitting on the refs.

Posted by: GiannicolusJones | May 13, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Monday is a weird day, but then again it's Memorial day so it's cool.

Posted by: KG118 | May 13, 2009 9:56 AM
__________________________________________

Not exactly, eh:

Posted by: universityandpark | May 13, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Toronto... Montreal... and

"Lakeside Park
Willows in the breeze
Lakeside Park
So many memories..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 13, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TCompton
-------------------------------------------
Their keeper is the biggest clown of all.

Posted by: yankiboy | May 13, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Not exactly, eh:

Posted by: universityandpark | May 13, 2009 10:07 AM |
__________________________________________

Off by a week, but anytime is a good time for Rush lyrics!

Everyone would gather
On the twenty-fourth of May
Sitting in the sand
To watch the fireworks display.
Dancing fires on the beach,
Singing songs together...
Though it's just a memory,
Some memories last forever.

Posted by: GreenbeltUnited | May 13, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

That would be true if this were something more than a friendly. In this case, there is the distinct possibility that the WPS clubs won't release these players at all, and that a B-side match would take place in Toronto.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 13, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

If UEFA doesn't want to play in Kiev, they're chicken.

Oh hush. You knew it was coming.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 13, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Regarding tonight's North of the Border clash:

Montreal has not started as well as they would like to in USL play this season. They started slowly last year also.

Having said that, I think that they will give TFC a run for their money tonight.

I still like TFC to pull it out.
Yanki-Yank prediction:

TFC 2
L'Impact 1

Goal or assist by TFC defender Marco Velez (most likely off a header). He seems to play well against them.

Montreal goal or assist by the ageless Cuban wonder, Eddie Sebrango.

TFC fans work up the extra-special rabid, type sweat, with their extra special provincial tinged insults and "you'll never be in MLS because your owner is a cheapskate" jabs.

Don't say that no-one previewed the game for you.

Goff-just mail me my $2 check (US funds, not Canuck please)...

Thanks

Posted by: yankiboy | May 13, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Good. Get Abby's suspension over and done with. Why put it off?

Posted by: yankiboy | May 13, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

D Michael Orozco and San Luis vs. Nacional (Copa Libertadores)

I am a day late and dollar (ok, peso) short again.

Michael, "let me get a silly red card when my boys need me" and San Luis ARE going to still compete in the Libertadores?!?!

When did that happen?

Posted by: yankiboy | May 13, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I think the latter half of that comic is a prediction of what's going to happen if we stay in RFK much longer..

Posted by: the_slammer | May 13, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

That is absolutely insane! I hope that the US and Canadian Federations will send their Japanese colleagues a bill if this has cost them any money.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 13, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Am I correct that it is completely impossible to watch the Spanish Cup final?

Posted by: granadoskerry | May 13, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

My bad on the Orozco/San Luis reference.

Old listing.

It's been deleted.

Posted by: Steve Goff | May 13, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm canceling my trip to Canada because of branched-chain ketoaciduria

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 13, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I-270, you REALLY gotta stop reading Weingarten...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 13, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"On a more serious note, read my story about the club's propensity for falling behind and staging late rallies."

I see what you did there Goff, well done.

Posted by: Section117 | May 13, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

To say Olsen will be missed, is really not strong enough of a phrase.

The only time I can think of where we didn't score first was New England. Our record should be dramatically different.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | May 13, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 13, 2009 9:40 AM |
-----------------------------------------------

That's the only time I can make that sound. Seriously, I've tried to say that when sober...

Here's my question:

If RFK came tumbling down, what's the team still doing getting cleaned up in the locker room? All I ask for is a little realism....

That goal -- the slide tackle by Simms, with Olsen picking it up? We already saw it this year, but it was Emilio that put it in the net.

Posted by: fischy | May 13, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Now that there is a May 25 friendly, does Abby play on the 23rd? I hope so as my daughter would be real disappointed. ROCK THE RED!

Posted by: blackandred777 | May 13, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Japan also canceled a friendly with the USMNT a few years ago in Seattle after fears of terrorism or some such. Maybe time to stop inviting the Japanese?

Posted by: Wendell_Gee | May 13, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Moenchengladbach

I know how to pronounce that word because of Soccer Made In Germany. Ah the good old days of late night public tv....

Posted by: hacksaw | May 13, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse