Wednesday Kickaround

*U.S. Open Cup play-in match tonight at RFK: D.C. United vs. New York Red Bulls. Kickoff is 7 p.m. No TV. Radio available at WTOP (1050 AM) and streamed through D.C. United's Web site. For season ticket holders, this is "Special Game B." For walk-ups, plenty of good seats are available.

*The formal Ben Olsen story.

*Chivas USA defender Claudio Suarez (calf) has come off the disabled list and is eligible to play his first game of the season this weekend at Kansas City.

*Ticket sales for the USA-Honduras World Cup qualifier June 6 at Chicago's Soldier Field have surpassed 40,000. Man, that's a lot of Catrachos supporters.

*Matthew Mbuta, on loan to Crystal Palace Baltimore from the New York Red Bulls, was named USL2 player of the week.

*For an excellent piece about non-conforming St. Pauli, its place in the Hamburg fussball scene and how it all might relate to MLS, read Brian Straus's latest column.

*Soccer on TV:
UEFA Cup final: Shakhtar Donetsk-Werder Bremen in Istanbul 2:30 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
Mexico semifinals, first leg: Puebla-Pumas 9 p.m. Azteca America

*Americans Abroad:
MF Alejandro Bedoya and Orebro at Malmo (Sweden)

By Steve Goff  |  May 20, 2009; 6:13 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Germany , MLS , TV , U.S. Open Cup , U.S. men's national team , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olsen's Thoughts
Next: USA Roster Projections

Comments

Wow--6:13am--you're getting a very early start on the day. How soon before we seen Soccer Insider: 24-7 with the motto "All Soccer All the Time"?

While I"m sorry to see Ben Olsen out with injury, a hamstring issue isn't a sign of his body breaking down. Hammies took out Fred and Quaranta earlier this year and last year as well.

Should be an interesting mix of bodies for tonight's game. I'd bed that Angel doesn't start and probably doesn't play. But Rojas (who's suspended for this weekend) starts--and with no Olsen to pester him, that will raise the chance he has an impact for the Red Bulls.

Posted by: JoeW1 | May 20, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

I went to a St. Pauli game four years ago and the experience is all that, and more. I sat with friends who have season tickets and within a few minutes of us talking the people around us realized I was American and were excited that an American would be into the game. The punks to our left (dog collars, mohawks) and the grandparents / grandson to our right (sweaters / slacks) started offering me their beers and teaching me songs. The place fully rocked start to finish. Oh, and their 3rd jersey (or maybe 1st?) was a brown and white camouflage - very cool.

That being said, my understanding of how the team became punk is that in the 70s the anarchists embraced the team, partially because of the neighborhood, and partially in opposition to "the man" (HSV). The skull and crossbones shirts were handmade for years before the team embraced it and put it all over the team store. So it's been a slow growth into counterculture, and from what my friends say, the team didn't have much choice - this was their core fanbase.

I guess my point is, I'd love DCU to be like St. Pauli, but you can't make it a marketing ploy. I think our equivalent is what we see in the Barra or La Norte when they were behind the goal. But being in a city with one team, it's going to draw the mainstream fans (which in itself is far from homogeneous) and the counterculture (ditto) and everything in between.

Cool story, I love both teams, would love to see a friendly between the two.

Posted by: eadc | May 20, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

You think Chicago will have more Catracho supporters (percentage-wise) than DC did for the USMNT game back in 2001?

Posted by: dukestreetkid | May 20, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

DCU may not be able to duplicate St.Pauli, but Straus's points about what should and should not be in MLS stadium design are right on. "Better to have basic, humble digs downtown than a soulless palace in the far-flung suburbs ..."

Posted by: granadoskerry | May 20, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for the daily kickarounds. I hadn't planned on working today, but went to work forgetting it was Wednesday until I checked here.

Posted by: sitruc | May 20, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree more with granadoskerry. I'd also note that what sounds like an awesome stadium is also new: "The Millerntor's brand-new, 12 million euro south stand features terracing for the ultras, seats for fans who want a bit more comfort and even a few suites up near the top."

Give the fans the right sort of home, and we'll take this club to the next level of futbol.

Posted by: dcbird | May 20, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

word quibble -- not sure based on the description that St. Pauli is "non-conforming" so much as they are simply conforming to a different standard. But I've never been there so I don't know. But I did go to Dead shows in the 90s . . . . if everybody is wearing variations of expensive store-bought tie-dye, are they rebelling or conforming?

"It's my way of sticking it to the man"
"But sir you ARE the man."
"I know."
"So, you're sticking it to yourself?"
"Maybe."

Posted by: OWNTF | May 20, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Any chance those tickets are being sold to US supporters? Chicago is after all a relatively cheap, and easy travel destination isn't it?

Interesting points in the St. Pauli story. Maybe it's time to dig the old, trusty 3rd Jersey torch out of the closet and get er' lit again?

Wish I could make the match tonight, it's really too bad that BIG MLS clubs can't get their act together and offer live streams of these matches.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 20, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Steve,

What could be the reasons for US Soccer to again create a home field atmosphere for out opponents in WC qualification?
Jamaica in DC '97
Guatemala in DC '00
Honduras in DC '01
and now Honduras in Chicago.
Yes we dont play Mexico in LA, San Diego, Houston, Dallas, etc..
But COME ON NOW! Are they, US Soccer so incompetent or so greedy (Eg kickbacks from Mayor Daley's Union buddies who work at Soldier Field)
Count me amazed about this venue being chosen in the first place. Go USA!

Posted by: Granitza78 | May 20, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

The jamaica game was 50/50..had a killer time! I would love to see that again. Maybe we should play mexico in the rosebowl. We could hire some better coaches w/ all those $$.

Posted by: gode | May 20, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

@Posted by: Granitza78

While I understand completely your rant, you have to at least suggest an alternative location.

Posted by: JkR- | May 20, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 20, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Shakhtar Donetsk - isn't he one of the Forsaken Rand al'Thor needs to kill?

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 20, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Shakhtar Donetsk - isn't he one of the Forsaken Rand al'Thor needs to kill?

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 20, 2009 9:30 AM

Just to clarify JoeDoc or anyone else's confusion. Apparently Shakhtar is the word Ukrainians use for "WAXTAP".

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 20, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Goff, thanks for the link to Mr. Strauss

""Who brags about seeing an aging, popular band in a large stadium years after their first platinum album? Nobody. But everyone wants to be able to say they were there at the beginning, standing in a small, smokey club listening to a bunch of unknowns destined for stardom."

Herr Payne . . . how bout you forget about that silly laser light show? How bout you reduce the cost of the stadium by eliminating some luxury suites for a bunch of boring suits? How bout it?

Posted by: delantero | May 20, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Granitza78:

Maybe they should just play hockey instead. Would that make you happy?

Poor USA, having to play its home games... in the USA. Indeed, one wonders what they're thinking.

Reminds me of the moaning about group play draws at the World Cup: "We worked so hard to make it to the Cup finals. WHY do we have to play all these good teams?! Wah!"

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 20, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Antonio Montana, head of USSF:

"Look, the time has come, we gotta expand, the whole operation. New York, Chicago, L.A. We gotta set our own mark and enforce it."

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 20, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: delantero | May 20, 2009 9:41 AM
=====================
Hmmmmmmmm. I can't think of a single professional team that has made money selling luxury suites to wealthy individuals or businesses.

You're right, delantero. Forget the luxury boxes! Who needs 'em?!

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 20, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Everyone, read the St Pauli article. That's fantastic.

Posted by: Reignking | May 20, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

The St. Pauli model makes sense in a saturated market, where there isn't much to distinguish teams. It makes no sense at all in MLS, where a small number of top tier teams are allowed to play, and those teams need all the fans and revenue as they can have to stay afloat.

Maybe, MAYBE, those suggestions could work in the PDL.

Posted by: Mastodon_Juan | May 20, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

---

This should be the largest crowd for a home qualifier since the infamous RFK Honduras match in 2001. I applaud the Federation for not hiding it somewhere like Columbus or Salt Lake. There could be a decent US crowd there (like there was at RFK). It's a big game and it's nearly summer in Chicago.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 20, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I've been wishing for years that DCU would schedule a friendly with St. Pauli. Maybe Dema could reach out to both and make it happen.

One other thing that MLS teams could stand to learn from St. Pauli is how to merchandise. You can get pretty much anything in the St. Pauli team store with their logo or a skull and crossbones on it (which is a bit odd given their largely anti-capitalist fan base, but I definitely bought a bunch of crap when I was there).

Posted by: joe_hill | May 20, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@Joel_M_Lane: Nothing. WAXTAP with you?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 20, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand Chicago for Honduras. They couldn't get anyone to show up to Bridgeview for T&T, and they've given us another away game during a crucial stretch of qualifying.

What happened to saving the big stadiums (and related payday) for the friendly matches? I think Utah would have been a good bet for this one.

Posted by: lroth | May 20, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

The St. Pauli article was outstanding and should be required reading for all MLS top brass and team owners. If and when DC does get a stadium I really hope they take into account the noise factor. Keeping the crowd noise in the stadium is a huge step towards building a great atmosphere.

Posted by: jwgreen40 | May 20, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

WAXTAP with you?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 20, 2009 11:01 AM
********************

I'm doing well thanks for asking.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 20, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Dominic Cervi is a patient lad, that's for sure. I was wondering what had happened to him. I guess it was worth it for him to sit out a year, with the promised reward of a Celtic contract awaiting him.

Well, good for him. I hope he develops. I'm not sold on Guzan.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Because it's DC, the team will dream of selling suites to the powerbrokers. That's OK, so long as it can be expected to pay for the facility, and doesn't impact the supporters below.

I will say that the point about the food is a fair one. Soccer isn't baseball or football. There aren't breaks to leisurely graze, and the game is over in less than 2 hours. There should be some decent food -- better than what the stands at RFK offer -- that can be eaten quickly. No one going to a United game would be willing to spend the 20 minutes that Nats fans spend waiting for Ben's Chili Bowl. If games become events, many fans, especially on weekends, will get their fill at tailgate parties.

The stadium -- if there ever is one -- should focus on the game and the experience of those who have come to cheer and watch it. Not those eating in a luxury box, or hanging out at the concessions stands -- Build a ring of luxury suites -- fine. For the rest of us: Some quick, decent finger food, and a lot of beer stands with short lines.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Prawn sandwiches!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 20, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

As someone that has gone to a lot of FC St. Pauli games since 1990, I can categorically tell you that no sports "franchise" in the United States will ever follow their model. Their model is fan-driven and more about representing their neighborhood than making money. The club itself is notoriously bad with money (so much that there are professionally done songs about how bad they are run), contracts, and transfers.

Fan boycotts are common and the members of the Football Club St. Pauli (an actual club that has elections on who runs the club) have intervened to toss out Presidents and other managers at the club. The entire direction of the club has come from fans not wanting the fan experience you get at top flight clubs (that you are a walking wallet to be separated from your money). The increasing popularity of the FC St. Pauli "brand" has caused plenty of consternation among their core fans.

This would all be in opposition to MLS' stance and what the league has done since the beginning. Imagine the Barra/Eagles/La Norte forcing DC United to lower ticket and concession prices through a boycott? Yea, MLS owners would want that...

Posted by: revltion1 | May 20, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: revltion1

United front office would find a way to join the protest and steer it in the direction they want.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 20, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking cucumber sandwiches.

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Kev29, they already have. While the fan groups at DC United have more voice at the FO that other teams let their fan groups have, at the final whistle, they have been co-opted. This type of arrangement works well for MLS and the US because it has given the fans a much larger voice than they would otherwise have. Fans in the US are basically $$$ for the franchises (or does anyone think that Snyder, Angelos, or the Lerners care about anything other than the revenue their teams generate for them) so why should they have any say? At least the DC United Front Office recognizes the efforts and contribution of their fan groups. But even still, we've had to accept ever rising ticket and concession prices without end...

Posted by: revltion1 | May 20, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Sorry. Roy Keane's quote didn't offer a Kosher option.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 20, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

WAXTAP this!! Shaktar takes the first half lead...

Posted by: fischy | May 20, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

WAXTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 20, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"All fans of the beautiful game should follow I270's example today and, to commemorate the last ever UEFA Cup Final, correctly use "WAXTAP" in a sentence."

It was a nice day outside, sunny and all, so I decided to wash my car, get it all shiny and WAXTAP.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 20, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Miyagi: "Danielsan! Wax on, WAXTAP!"

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 20, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Now that I look at Shakhtar's website, I see that, in caps, it's |_|_|AXTAP, but in lowercase, it's |_|_|axtep.

I'd hate to try to have a spelling bee in Ukraine (or Russia, or any Cyrillic-using country, for that matter).

Posted by: SportzNut21 | May 20, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

To borrow a phrase (thanks JoeDoc)
Did somebody say Float (thanks Flogging Molly)

drank away the rest of the day
wonder what my liver'd say
drink, thats all you can
blackened days with their bigger gales
blow in your parlor to discuss the day
listen, that's all you can

ah but don't, no don't sink the boat
that you built, you built to keep afloat

Posted by: googlio | May 20, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse