Wednesday Kickaround

*Barcelona. Manchester United. 2:45 p.m. kickoff. Live on ESPN. Preview here. D.C. United predictions here. Is it Messi's day?

*Seattle defeats Colorado in a U.S. Open Cup qualifier, 1-0, to reach the round of 16 on June 30. We should receive official word today on the early-round brackets and the potential matchups for the eight MLS clubs.

*Last-place teams collide in Columbus tonight as the Crew (1-2-6) face San Jose (1-6-2). Live coverage on the Direct Kick package. As expected, the Earthquakes have signed MLS veteran forward Cornell Glen.

*Ticket sales for the USA World Cup qualifier vs. Honduras on June 6 at Soldier Field in Chicago have surpassed 44,000.

*We told you about it exclusively yesterday, and now it's official: American forward Matt Taylor has moved to FSV Frankfurt from Koblenz in Germany's second division.

*Friendly tonight at the L.A. Coliseum: El Salvador vs. Ecuador, 11 p.m. ET. The Salvadorans will then head to Washington for a meeting with Jamaica on Saturday night at RFK Stadium. Kickoff is 7 p.m. Reserved seats are $40, general admission is $30 in advance and $35 on the day of the match. You can purchase them through Ticketmaster or at the RFK box office Saturday. Expect a large turnout.

USL2 news and complete TV listings on the continuation of this thread.....

*In USL2, Crystal Palace Baltimore (3-3-3) played a 0-0 tie at Western Massachusetts. Matthew Mbuta, on loan from New York again, played 90 for CP. Former D.C. United backup goalie James Thorpe earned the shutout for the Pioneers (1-4-1). On Friday, Crystal Palace will host Real Maryland at UMBC Stadium.

*Soccer on TV:
Champions League, Barcelona-Manchester United 2:25 p.m. ESPN, ESPN Deportes
Champions League, Barcelona-Manchester United (taped) 5:30 p.m. ESPN Classic
Copa Libertadores, Caracas-Gremio 8:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Champions League, Barcelona-Manchester United 11:30 p.m. (taped) ESPN2
Copa Libertadores, Cruzeiro-Sao Paulo midnight FSE

By Steve Goff  |  May 27, 2009; 8:44 AM ET
Categories:  Euro Champions League , Germany , MLS , TV , U.S. Open Cup , U.S. men's national team , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cambuur's D.C. Connection
Next: Poll: Euro Viewing

Comments

Joe Cannon pushes Ronaldo's winner wide...
Darren Huckerby is carried off by YaYa Toure after finishing Messi's cross while carrying the Lamar Hunt Anschutz Trophy Cup.

Bitter ending to Schellotto's career at Old Crew Stadium.

Oh wait - I got the games and teams mixed?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 27, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Wow, 44,000 tix sold in Chitown.
My guess 30,000-33,000 sold to Honduran fans.
Way to go US Soccer!

Posted by: Granitza78 | May 27, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

If McTavish's prediction ends up being right there should be a FIFA investigation.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 27, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Goffer, the Barca game re-air is on the ocho at 11, not 11:30.

Posted by: me_ahogo | May 27, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Who cares how many Hondurans will be in Chicago? Suggesting that there will be as few as 11k US fans is crazy. I'd wager it'll be closer to 50/50.

The boys gotta get tuned up to play in Big Time games in front of opposing fans. If they can't handle it in Chicago, they surely won't anywhere else.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 27, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

As I was unable to comment on the thread yesterday, in spirit of Rome's going dry, I'm giving up my annual tradition of nearly religious watching of the National Spelling Bee. It's Fifa and Champs League all day. Also, thank heaven that they're showing it in HD.

United, 3-1 (Ronaldo, Rooney, Park-Henry) (I say Park mainly because I'm going to visit my cousin this weekend, who's in town with her husband from South Korea, and I want to see him go crazy over it.)

Enjoy!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 27, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I don't know how many Hondurans there will be, but I'll be part of a 40+ contingent tailgating at Soldier Field, and hoping there are lots more.

Vamos EEUU!

Posted by: Modibo | May 27, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 27, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan,

because last year 11k is what showed up to watch US v T&T, and it may have been a little less that were USA'rs.

Pathetic.

Posted by: MrCerniglia | May 27, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

True, but the T&T match was on a school night, no?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 27, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Just think, in the new DC United Volkswagon Stadium, a sellout crowd of 27,000 could be watching El Salvador and Ecuador, and DCU could be getting a cut...

Oh wait, I forgot, there's only 15 games a year in MLS stadiums. Never mind.

Posted by: the_slammer | May 27, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if FSV Frankfurt is Bundesliga 1 or 2?

Posted by: no_recess | May 27, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

FSV and Koblenz are both second division

Posted by: Steve Goff | May 27, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't know; I was at the gold cup final in chicago against Mexico and I think I could count the number of US fans on one hand (maybe two...). Wouldn't be surprised if there is a big contingent from Honduras. Doesn't matter. US is going to win regardless.

Posted by: hacksaw | May 27, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Hondurans, anyone know why Ivan Guerrero can't get any playing time at all in Colorado? He's on the subs list for the Open Cup play-in game last night but can't even get on the field for a game of that magnitude.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 27, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

The game againg T&T was at toyota park, so there will be more Americans than 11k i would expect between 20 and 25k americans, still leaves room for a lot of Hondurans.

Posted by: DCUNITEDTRAVERS | May 27, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Head Coach Tom Soehn: Barca 2-1 - "Goal-scorers don't matter when you win"

Spoken like a coach. That attitude is why DCU is stuck with Emilio instead of a striker who is more adept at creating chances and one who has enough pace that he isn't caught from behind almost every time he's sprung on a break by a teammate...

McTavish's prediction is spot on. It's going to be a long, miserable offseason for poor Michael Carrick.

Say it with me: VolkswagenStadion

Posted by: fischy | May 27, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

@Joel -- I guess Guerrero isn't fitting into that run-and-gun, wing-and-cross English-style offense they got there in Colorado. Sorta like Gomito? Maybe, we can get him back, too?

At left back for DC United: Ivan Guerrero.

I bet he cares about the game today.....

Posted by: fischy | May 27, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

@ Joel -- your query sent me on a search. It's cool what you find. The MLSrumors site has a 2 week old link to a piece that has Guerrero moving to CD Motagua - a deal getting close at that time.

The site also finds reason to think that Luis Figo's agent is meeting in bars with the Revs' GM.

And, the Wizards stadium isn't going to get built any time soon.

Posted by: fischy | May 27, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

MR Goff,

Why is Matt Taylor going from struggler to struggler? I'm happy he's in Bund 2 but how does this help his situation? Maybe more money and better city?

Posted by: euroman | May 27, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse