Weekend TV Listings

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY

Brazil, Internacional-Palmeiras 5 p.m. GolTV
WPS, Boston-Washington 6 p.m. FSC
Mexico, Pachuca-Chiapas 7 p.m. Telefutura
Russia, CSKA Moscow-Zenit 10 p.m. Setanta

By Steve Goff  |  May 15, 2009; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Copa Libertadores
Next: Saturday Kickaround

Comments

England, Manchester United-Arsenal 7:40 a.m. Setanta
-----------------------

I'm not familiar with these teams. Are they Italian?

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 15, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Joe Doc: They are obscure teams toiling in an unnoticed league in a place called the United Kingdom... excuse me, United Kingdom (no "the").

United Kingdom, I shun The.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 15, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

11 for the DCU game? Cool -- wife won't care at that point what we're watching.

Posted by: Reignking | May 15, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Is Universal Sports the same channel that is on 4.3 (Over The Air) ? Surprised they are going to show soccer outside of the olympics.

Posted by: Charisma_Man | May 15, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to Steve's tweets from the airport.

got 2 the airport. wife dropped me @curb. son wants a beckham jersey from the hdc store

self check-in @kiosk. can I keep my razor in the carry-on? don't remember all the TSA rules

in line at the x-ray. took laptop out of bag. taking off shoes

dang! got holes in sox. need to trim toenails.

waiting for a doublepump quadgrande vanilla mocha hazlenut frap. six bux? expense it.

in boarding group 6. not gonna be any room left in overhead for my bag

boarding. middle seat. 5 hour flight.

crap. forgot to get a sandwich. have to eat plane food.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 15, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I forgot after trying to post this - you can't get Sc*nthorpe through the swear filter :-D
---

As usual, I'm more interested in the League and Conference Playoffs than the Premier League run in.

10:00 pm tonight
Coca-Cola League 1
Jemal Johnson and MK Dons vs Sc*nthorpe Utd
2nd Leg (1-1)
(Same Day Delay)

Sunday
10:30 am
LIVE Blue Square Premier - Final
Cambridge Utd vs Torquay Utd (KO 11am)

Posted by: Kev29 | May 15, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Forget soccer. I'm going to watch the Nats, baby! I can't get enough of them!

Posted by: Hoost | May 15, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

hoost: you made me laugh so hard, I ALMOST pooped my pant.. :eyes roll:

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | May 15, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

When referring to the baseball team please use their proper and full name "the cellar dwelling Nats"

Posted by: jmingus | May 15, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

reignking - I'd be with you 100% except that I don't get those channels. Drat.

Posted by: rmontcal | May 15, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I'm sure I'll watch it from my laptop with earphones...

Posted by: Reignking | May 15, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Hello (hello hello)

Is there anybody in there?

Just yell if you can hear me.

Is there anyone at home?

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 15, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"but you may feel a little sick..."

Posted by: troy6 | May 15, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

There ain't nobody here but us chickens
There ain't nobody here at all
So quiet yourself,
And stop your fuss
There ain't nobody here but us
Kindly point that gun,
The other way
And hobble, hobble hobble of and
Hit the hay

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 15, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

As much as I generally hate games this late, this Saturday is looking to line up nicely. NASCAR All-Star race at Charlotte should end right between 10:30 and 11pm, just in time for the United game. My Tivo will be happy if it doesn't need to do race duty this weekend.

Now that I've typed that out loud, there will now be rain in Charlotte this weekend......

Posted by: dcufan | May 15, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

NASCAR has an All-Star Race? Did they invite mid-table F1 drivers to race against?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 15, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Good story on Jakovic!

Posted by: carnack | May 15, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

If you're not first, you're last!

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 15, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

11 for the DCU game? Cool -- wife won't care at that point what we're watching.

Posted by: Reignking

------------------

wife going to be that tired, or that drunk, or both?

Posted by: tendcpl | May 15, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcufan | May 15, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------

That is sweet, let NASCAR lull you to sleep, rest for 2+ hours, wake up rested in time for DCU game!

Kidding, kidding...

Sort of.

Posted by: tendcpl | May 15, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Reignking: "Honey, you awake?"

Mrs. Reignking: "Huh, wha?"

Reignking: "Oh, nothing..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 15, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Marcus Hahnemann, officially available ...

As much of a pipe dream as it is to think he would end up playing for DC, it still makes my heart go pitty-pat to imagine some stability in goal.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | May 15, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering if someone was going to say that :)

Posted by: Reignking | May 15, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

The west coast needs to stop using the wrong time. I had been thinking the DC game was at 8pm and had been planning around that. It's not easy for me to get a group of people who don't follow soccer to transition from Saturday night shenanigans to watching soccer.

Posted by: sitruc | May 15, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

For those who are interested, Universal Sports is channel 464 on Verizon FiOS. It may also be worth mentioning that they are showing beach volleyball right now. If you stopped reading my post at beach volleyball, I apologize if you are disappointed that it is men's beach volleyball.

Posted by: sitruc | May 15, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I know what I will be doing on my Friday night- staying in to watch the Los Angeles Sky Blue!

Posted by: alan19 | May 15, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

NPR's All Things Considered ran a piece on Steve Cohen and World Soccer Daily and an apparent hornet's nest he stirred up with comments about Liverpool fans and the Hillsborough massacre.

I guess it really is all things considered.

Posted by: fischy | May 15, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Thank you sitruc. There is hope that Universal Sports will show biki... ummm... women's beach volleyball in the near future.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 15, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Nick Cohen on Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me from 2006.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 15, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

For those who care, Mr. Dempsey is Fulham's player of the month for April.

Posted by: glfrazier | May 15, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Dempsey is really driving the Cottagers. Mr. Bradley needs to figure out how to get the same performance for the USMNT.

Posted by: fischy | May 15, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Also, hope you're looking forward to trying out some of So-Cal's finest, herbal "medicine." Just got back from the doctor's today getting my prescription filled.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 14, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Damn Poopy, you big tease you! California Dreamin'.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 14, 2009 10:42 PM

As much as I miss having season tickets to DCU, being able to get my prescription of herbal "medicine" filled pretty much any day of the week is a pretty sweet deal.

One time at the Commissoner's Party at Pizza Hut Park a few years back I acutally embarrassed Bobby Boswell, Troy Perkins, Jimmy Conrad, and some others by asking Bobby if he wanted to step outside and join in my brothers and mine rotation.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 15, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Was it called fox football friday then? that npr dude said it.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 15, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

portland timber fans rock. they sing and cheer like football fans.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 15, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm interested in the Hoffenheim Bayern Butt-Munchen. What a story Hoffer's were in the Bund, it'd be cool if they denied the Munchers the title.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 15, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know when the United Store webpage will re-open?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | May 15, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

ManU and Baca could claim championship or give Liverpool and Real Madness lifeline to go on. Newcastle, Hull, blackburn, west brom could move up safer or go down even deeper. Wolsburg still can go and win the whole thing. DC United could upset California strips.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | May 15, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

This friggin bites, I just got booked in a rec league game for saying this line to the ref . . .

"Dude, can you watch the fouls after the play?"

See . . . this meathead kept smashing me after the ball was long gone . .

Ref replies, "Don't call me dude." YELLOW!

Later, I was relaying this to a teammate who had mouthed off to the ref.

"Careful, he gave me a yellow in the first half for calling him dude."

Ref steps in . "Number 14" Shows me YELLOW, then RED!

Posted by: delantero | May 15, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Where's Oswaldo?

Not on coach Javier Aguirre's list for training camp preceding Mexico's upcoming World Cup qualifiers against El Salvador and T&T.

US fans will surely be saddened by Oswaldo Sanchez' absence but fan favorite Cuauhtemoc Blanco was called in by the new Mex Nat team coach.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 15, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

sounds from all accounts like a typical run in with the pigs.

So is Olsen in the 18 or what? I'm sick of this pussy footin' around who's in DCU's team. Although I hope it's equally as frustrating for Chivas coaches and scouts and players.

Posted by: DadRyan | May 15, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Dadryan, hope you are riding in this . . at least the everyday, pedestrian 100 K version!

Posted by: delantero | May 16, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

Hey thanks for the link delantero. Personally I don't race unless there are beers at the check points...Something like this perhaps...
Hey! I can't make this thing tonight, but if any of you are feeling lucky...

I've always enjoyed the Clarendon Cup race, I think we will check out the Crystal City race this year. I've been waiting for a good reason to visit the Air Force memorial up close. Awesome!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 16, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I should add that that race starts @2:30pm. I'm sure the afterparty will go on all night...:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 16, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

A bit OT, but this seems like a slow day so far, so I thought I'd pass along the following: A couple of friends were stranded in Morgantown, WV last night when their car broke down; it will take days to repair. The area is not served by Amtrak, Greyhound, etc. Because of WVU commencement ceremonies, rental cars are as scarce as hen's teeth. The last I heard, they were going to get to Dulles via a flight from the local airfield that is fairly pricey for the short distance.

Of course I thought of previous discussions of potential 2018/22 (or sooner, if South Africa or Brasil don't pan out) WC venues on this blog, including university campuses in rural areas. Yeah, right.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 16, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

The Sol-Sky Blue game was not on Universal Sports last night in this area - only in the LA and NY/NJ areas.

Posted by: Tony-Tony-Tony | May 16, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks 3XTony. I watched for a good half-hour wondering which one of those cyclists was Marta.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 16, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse