Weekend TV Listings

What are you going to watch?
FRIDAY
USL1, Cleveland-Carolina 8 p.m. Fox Soccer Channel
SATURDAY
England, Shrewsbury-Gillingham 10 a.m. Setanta
Germany, Wolfsburg-Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich-Stuttgart 11:30 a.m. GolTV
France, Bordeaux-Monaco 3 p.m. Setanta
Spain, Barcelona-Osasuna 3 p.m. GolTV
Spain, Villarreal-Valencia 5 p.m. GolTV
Mexico, Pumas-Puebla 6 p.m. Telemundo
Colombia, Junior-Cali 7:15 p.m. GolTV
MLS, D.C. United-Real Salt Lake 7:30 p.m. Comcast SportsNet (D.C.)
MLS, Kansas City-Chivas USA 8:30 p.m. FSC

England, Manchester City-Bolton 6:15 p.m. Setanta
WPS, Gold Pride-Los Angeles 7 p.m. FSC
Mexico, Pachuca-Indios 7 p.m. Telefutura
England, Fulham-Everton 8 p.m. Setanta

By Steve Goff  |  May 22, 2009; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Kickaround
Next: Gaucho vs. Gaucho?

Comments

Saturday, I've got to see Wolfsburg play to see if they can really pull off winning the title. I hear Werder Bremen is no push-over...

Sunday, I guess I'll be watching my computer and ManU-Hull, since I'd really rather be watching Newcastle's game, but don't get Setanta. :(

Slightly off-topic, but anyone want to place your bets now on where Onyewu lands next season?

Posted by: cray | May 22, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh my. It's being called survival Sunday in the PL. Should be a day of emotion which will be gut-wrenching for some. Can't think of anything more depressing in sport than "going down".

If you haven't seen it or used it, soccernet.com (espn's site) has a "live table" icon you can click on...updates the table in real time considering current scores...gd...etc... Fun to watch. Thankfully, FFC is not in that relegation battle this year.

Posted by: Edison2 | May 22, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Smart money is on Fulham...more likely than Wolves or Birmingham to remain in the top flight. BIG plus - Fulham is on the cusp of Europa (UEFA) Cup play, assuming Spurs lose to Liverpool...that should seal it.

Roy Hodgson has done a phenomenal job with Fulham. Gooch would likely learn more under him than playing for Wolves or the Blues.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | May 22, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Let's see...I'm going to California (with an achin' in my heart) so soccer is far, far from my mind.

Posted by: Reignking | May 22, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

@ErickSp8

OK, but if they hang onto Hangeland, you really think Gooch is going to sign somewhere to ride the bench?

I hope he ends up at Marseille, but I'd bet Wolves.

Posted by: the_slammer | May 22, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Allez Bordeaux!
If you'll remember, Bordeaux came back from 3-0 down to beat Monaco back in December, which happened to be the last time our boy Freddy saw the pitch.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | May 22, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

England, Shrewsbury-Gillingham 10 a.m. Setanta

Unfortunately, this has been moved to the Setanta DirecTV Extra channel (in favor of some stupid Antipodean egg chasing)

I'll be watching some play-off finals and the Sunday relegation drama. Monday on Setanta...

09:55 am
LIVE Coca-Cola Championship Playoff Final
Burnley vs Sheffield Utd

Posted by: Kev29 | May 22, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

We're thinking of going to Summers on Sunday to watch the battle at the bottom. The Hull, Newcastle, and Sunderland matches are all on live at 11:00 with the 'Boro match on tape delay at 1:00. We'll be the smug,obnoxious couple wearing our "18 times -- and that's a fact" and/or
"I'd rather walk alone" tee shirts.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 22, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

If anyone is interested in Onyewu's final game w Standard Liege and wants to spend Sunday afternoon in front of a computer, you will probably be able to find a feed at this site:

I think it's scheduled for 230pm our time. The winner of the 2nd leg wins the Belgian title. Standard tied Anderlecht on the road 1-1 yesterday and I watched most of the 2nd half on a Romanian (sounds like Italian!) feed from that site.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 22, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Probably watch Milan-Roma. 2 weeks to go and tournament spots are on the line.

Posted by: fischy | May 22, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"Comcast SportsNet broadcasts DC United games? That's a cool development. They should show all the games. That would be really cool."
---

Stop fisching for trouble ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | May 22, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

It will be football from the time I wake on Saturday till the last match on Sunday. Go Newcastle. Oy. I will be at the DCU RSL match.

Posted by: rockus521 | May 22, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of shirts, we received the package BlackandRedRedDevil!
The WHOLE fam thanks you for your generosity. Amazing times we live in, where kids can have Internet Aunties:-)

As soon as I can get some good pics of her in the kit I'll send them your way. The shorts need to be grown into a little bit, but she'll get there. Hoping that the weather cooperates and we might catch up with you for the CL final next week!

As for this weekend, I'll be watching DC United from home on Saturday. Or at the HD Bigscreen tv having neighbor's place:-)
Can't make em' all folks.
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 22, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

So GolTV is showing two games at once....?

"Germany, Wolfsburg-Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich-Stuttgart 11:30 a.m. GolTV"

Posted by: Juan-John | May 22, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Calm down, frontrunning manc scum.

I just ate.

Posted by: me_ahogo | May 22, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Juan-John:

GolTV seem to be featuring both matches at the same time - maybe cut aways and goal updates from each stadium. Problem is - why aren't they doing it live?? All the matches start at 9:30am our time.

From GolTV site:
Bundesliga - Duplex: Wolfsburg vs Werder Bremen - Bayern Munich vs Stuttgart

Posted by: Kev29 | May 22, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Thx Kev29, I'd forgotten that they did something similar two years ago with Real Madrid and Barca (Becks' last game).

Posted by: Juan-John | May 22, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

oooh, I wonder if they'd let me change my USER ID to frontrunning manc scum. Such a clever turn of phrase.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | May 22, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Watching the Villa send Newcastle down to the Championship (and probably a farewell to Gareth Barry).

Onyewu would do well at Wolves. Mick McCarthy has a solid record of developing players (he bought Michael Kightly for 25,000 pounds!) and I have every confidence that Wolves will remain in the Premier League. Martin O'Neill could also have a look at him for Villa; Martin Laursen just retired and Zat Knight and Curtis Davies are weak.

Posted by: daandre3 | May 22, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it "titlewinning manc scum" now?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 22, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

At least the ManUre fans can stay classy about winning another title.

Posted by: rss317 | May 23, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse