Wicks's Turn?

Josh Wicks started the first two league matches for D.C. United while Louis Crayton worked himself into shape. Crayton started the next four. Crayton and rookie Milos Kocic alternated the past few weeks, but neither definitively seized the No. 1 spot. Now Wicks is healthy, and after serving as Crayton's back-up at Chivas USA on Saturday, he seems to be at the top of the list for tomorrow night's U.S. Open Cup play-in game against New York at RFK Stadium.

Coach Tom Soehn's thoughts on Wicks's progress:

"Josh has been working unbelievably hard. We put a lot of high demands on him as far as what he needs to get to to be considered. He has lived up to all the requirements and done a great job to get himself there."

Naturally, I asked Soehn whether Wicks will get the nod tomorrow.

Naturally, he laughed and declined to answer.

Who would you like to see starting in net against the Red Bulls?

By Steve Goff  |  May 19, 2009; 1:46 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olsen Out 3-4 Weeks
Next: Garber Addresses Officiating

Comments

Kocic, he's our USOC #1 goalie :)

No more Wicks until he grows the fro back!

Posted by: dcufan | May 19, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Crayton.

Posted by: decoi | May 19, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

After Crayton's punch-whiff creating the chance for the 2nd Galaxy goal I've been assuming that Wicks would be in goal for the next league game.

Posted by: DrBeaker | May 19, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

If your keeper is directing your back line, how difficult is it for our back three to have a keeper-go-round behind them?

Maybe Tommy just doesn't have confidence in any of them. He is waiting for one to break out and take the starting job. I am not sure that is going to happen the way Tommy is doing it.

My preference would be to see Kocic in all Open Cup matches.

Posted by: bluesfan1 | May 19, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

The keeper situation IMHO just seems to be getting worse. Last week a weak goal was scored because Crayton was not decisive. The week before we had a goal scored because of miscommunication. What's next? We lost four points because our keepers are very inefficient in one facet of their games. Crayton is small and does a poor job on high balls in the box (no pun intended) Kocic is a poor communicator and Wicks is not the greatest "shot blocker." If we keep losing points early in the season (especially with Benny sidelined possibly a month) we are not going to make the playoffs no matter how good our backline is or can be.

Posted by: no_recess | May 19, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Does Soehn really think NYRB will gain an advantage if they know which underperforming GK will start for DC tomorrow?

Posted by: ahelms10 | May 19, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

If Wicks starts - that game's ticket doesn't even go to charity.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | May 19, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Who do I want to see in goal? Does it matter? We're choosing between erratic, raw, and just not that good. It's like asking which of my car's tires would I prefer go flat.

The key for us, as always, is going to be keeping possession and, when NY does get the ball, dictating where they have it. If we can limit the number of crosses they put in, we'll be avoiding the main problem for our keepers and putting ourselves in a position to win the game.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | May 19, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I expect it will be Wicks. I'd like to see him get another chance, and I'm sure Tommy feels the same. Evaluate all your options. The Galaxy game was not a fair test, and the result wasn't his fault. Yeah, he looked really shaky against the Fire, but we can't count him out on one bad performance. We need to see him again. Then, we can count him out. Seriously -- DCU needs to know soon what it has...before Crayton's contract expires.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I said it before and I will say it again, the only difference between Josh Wells and Josh Wicks is ICK! Play Kocic unless he is injured. Wicks has all the bad qualities of Kocic and Crayton with none of the good ones. As for Saturday, who knows?!

Posted by: fedssocr | May 19, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Who would you like to see starting in net against the Red Bulls?

Do we have to pick somebody currently on the team?

Posted by: sitruc | May 19, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Brad Friedel starting in net against the Red Bulls.

Since I have to pick from the current team, I guess Wicks? Might as well... noone has seized the GK spot.

Posted by: cray | May 19, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I saw a Josh Wells for just about every sport except soccer on Google, fedssocr. Did you mean Zach Wells?

Posted by: sitruc | May 19, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

one potato, two potato, three potato...

score?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 19, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Who is Josh Wells?

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Nic Platter...

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

If Soehn says he's earned it, then WIcks. I mean, why t.f. not?

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 19, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The only difference between Louis Crayton and Louis Clinton is LINT. And President Clinton would be a lousy goalie.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Koc + Ic = lesbian.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Stallone. The man is clutch.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 19, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Hahnemann

Posted by: Reignking | May 19, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Not Wicks

Posted by: jmingus | May 19, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

why can't we steal Danny Cepero from NY for Wicks and a bag of donuts?

Posted by: fedssocr | May 19, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Because Cepero sucks?

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure Cepero is really that good either... Plus he's got the Metro stink about him.

Posted by: iammrben1 | May 19, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

With Carlos Johnson out, who will get a red card for NY?

Posted by: Reignking | May 19, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I say pick the guy who says "'keeper!" loudest.

I just hope Wicks doesn't get lit up.

Did somebody say "Candle"?! (No? I meant to...)

"Now maybe
I didn't mean to treat you bad
But I did it anyway
And now maybe
Some would say your life was sad
But you lived it anyway
And so maybe
Your friends they stand around they watch you crumble
As you falter to the ground
And then someday
Your friends they stand beside as you were flying
Oh you were flying oh so high..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | May 19, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't want to see Kocic make another excuse because the crowd is too loud... Any word on Tino or someone giving him a super wedgie for that comment?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 19, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Cepero stinks, and why would we bring another bad keeper? I go with Wicks and see what happens.

I've been saying it for a while that Crayton is on his way out. He is one of the remaining mistakes from last season's lousy roster.

Posted by: hardcoco | May 19, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

First Choice - Hahnemann

Second Choice - Kocic

Fischy please keep the juvenile homophobic comments to yourself.

Posted by: nyjer1 | May 19, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Glad you brought that up. I don't think I've ever heard an athlete blame his own fnas for being too loud. Is that a rookie mistake or just plain dumb?

Posted by: jsm3 | May 19, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

How can we not sign Hahneman. Pony up the dough McFarlane!

Posted by: jsm3 | May 19, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping is was due to a less than 100% understanding of the English language.

Posted by: DrBeaker | May 19, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Kocic, at least the game experience might help him. The other two what's the point? Does anyone expect Wicks to be our best Keeper? If not there is no point in playing him. If he is a little better than Kocic, but has no potential who cares, he is a backup. Either Crayton or Kocic should start, unless Crayton is injured.

Posted by: bighungry | May 19, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Juvenile? sure. You have my apologies for that. I can't agree with the rest of your description.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Kocic.

Posted by: Colonial717 | May 19, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@bighungry -- I think some in the FO do hope/expect that Wicks emerges as the best of the lot. He was overlooked coming out of college, but has performed well since. His #s weren't great with the Gals, but they had a horrible defense.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

You might be right. But when part of the problem the defense is having is communication, having one less goalie in the rotation won't hurt. If Wicks is better than Crayton than Crayton should be out of the rotation. If we were playing USL teams in friendlies I would support giving people a shot, but not in games that matter.

Posted by: bighungry | May 19, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I go for Tim Howard in goal.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | May 19, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Who cares who plays in net tomorrow, it's just an Open Cup play-in game.

Posted by: rnsaxuz | May 19, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@msaxuz -- We certainly don't want to go out to the Bulls. Also, I'm into the Open Cup. I wish they'd play the games in the cozy confines of the Soccerplex, which really makes it special. Still, it would be cool to see United defend its title.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Woah. You know what a play-in game is?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

ZZZZZZZzzzz... Who cares about trying to defend their title fischy?
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | May 19, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I would like to Kocic between the pipes just for the experience. I don't think any of the 3 are going to sway our chances one way or the other; and nobody is going to get hot with sporadic minutes.

Prepare yourself for a season of the mediocre-keeper carousel and saying goodbye to crayton when his contract expires.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | May 19, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I still think Crayton is our best keeper. Is he perfect? Not by a long shot. However, there is nothing the other two keepers have shown me to think they should start this season. I don't want us to miss out on the playoffs because we wanted to save money on Crayton's contact.

Posted by: lvanarsdall | May 19, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

The question is not whether the team should save some money -- the question is whether the team should free up some salary cap room for a summer signing.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

We never should have cut 4th string goalie Quavas Kirk.

Fire Soehn!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | May 19, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I still see that Kocic should be getting the nod. He is a tremendously talented rookie that just needs some experience in MLS. Give Kocic the minutes he needs to get that experience. I saw a big improvement in commanding the box from his first to second MLS game. Its unfortunate that that improvement was overshadowed by a mistake with one of the most dangerous attackers in MLS.

Crayton is what he is at that stage of his career and frankly for what we are paying him its not worth it.

Wicks is horrible. He was the number 3 keeper on one of the worst defenses I've ever seen in MLS. He is not the answer either in the short or long run.

Posted by: dcufan53 | May 19, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Tremendously talented? Seriously? I must be missing something. Please enlighten me.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Wicks is a lower risk choice tomorrow in play-in #2. He might as well get the call so we have a better idea what he can offer. With three non #1 keepers he's up. I think Crayton's futre is elsewhere the summer.

Posted by: sbg1 | May 19, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Where is Joe Vide? I miss him.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | May 19, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I think Crayton's futre is elsewhere the summer.

Posted by: sbg1 | May 19, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps a round of golf with Zach Wells?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 19, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I would like to Kocic between the pipes just for the experience.

Hey Lebowski - you using Kocic as a verb? If so, it sounds a little dirty!

Posted by: combedge | May 20, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

If the season does not go well, I think one decision that will have to be judged is not taking Frei in the draft.

Posted by: alan19 | May 20, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse