Women's Friendlies Cancelled

Fearing swine flu, Japan has withdrawn from the scheduled women's friendlies against the United States on May 20 in Texas and three days later in Utah. Japan was also planning to play Canada on May 25 in Toronto. There's apparently an outside chance a replacement opponent will be named for the Americans. Without these friendlies, the Washington Freedom will have USA striker Abby Wambach and Japanese midfielder Homare Sawa available for the May 23 WPS match at RFK Stadium.

"We have been assured that the risk to the participating teams is exceptionally low, but we accept the Japanese federation's decision not to travel," USSF President Sunil Gulati said.

By Steve Goff  |  May 12, 2009; 1:39 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Minutes With Ben Olsen
Next: United News & Notes

Comments

"Without these friendlies, the Washington Freedom will have USA striker Abby Wambach and Japanese midfielder Homare Sawa available for the May 23 WPS match at RFK Stadium."

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought about that first when reading the headline.

Posted by: sitruc | May 12, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I like how we are developing in midfield, but our defense is waaay too porous. Giving up 3+ goals in many games is going to be our undoing. Problem is, I can't tell if the problem lies with the goalies or with the defense or what.

Posted by: kinseyjames | May 12, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Laaaaaaaaame. But good for those in attendance on the 23rd, I guess.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 12, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the Japanese program found an excuse to save money and get out of what have become useless friendlies.

I shun them...

Posted by: JkR- | May 12, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Wait. Sawa was not recalled to Japan by her government or federation? They are putting her life at great risk, given the number of Swine Flu cases in Montgomery and Prince George's counties. I hope they can live with themselves.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 12, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I-270Exit1 is a wank.

Posted by: bs2004 | May 12, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I-270Exit1 is a wank.

Posted by: bs2004 | May 12, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Wambach will be available.... to serve her suspension.

Posted by: jerbyr | May 12, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Truth is they cancelled them for fear of an Abby Wambach slide tackle

(ducks for cover)

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | May 12, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

@bs2004: That's the best you could do? Pathetic.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 12, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

So now the US is playing Canada on the 25th in Toronto. Canada was originally going to play Japan on that day: http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_14352391.html

Posted by: soccerfan80 | May 12, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm canceling my trip to Sweden because of Stockholm Syndrome.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 13, 2009 2:29 AM | Report abuse

@bs2004: That's the best you could do? Pathetic.

Posted by: I-270Exit1
-------------------------------------------
What more were you looking for?
Dude said it twice for emphasis...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 13, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I will never by another Japanes National Team jersey again after this "sky is falling!" stunt...

Posted by: yankiboy | May 13, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse