WPS Matchday 8 - Freedom vs FC Gold Pride

Greetings all from Maryland SoccerPlex on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

It's been a great weekend for soccer, with D.C. United, Freedom and an international match all going on, as well as, at least for me, regional finals for high school soccer.

It's Soccer Club Night out here in Boyds, and the crowd has started to gather outside while the soccer fields all around are packed with games going on, as usual. It'll be interesting to see what kind of crowd shows up.

I'll post the starting lineup as soon as I get it, until then, I'm headed over to meet my cousin who is here for her first ever WPS game.

My guess: McLeod; Gilbeau, Whitehill, Singer, Sauerbrunn; Lindsey, Bompastor, Sawa; Long, De Vanna, Wambach

SUBS: Scurry, Senty, Lohman, Eyorokon, Janss, Moros, Zimmeck

UPDATE: The lineup is here and it is exactly as listed above. That's why they pay me the big bucks (ha).

Maybe they drop Long back into the midfield, but they've had the 4-3-3 working now and are unbeaten in their last four...

As usual, this is your place for pregame, in-game and postgame commentary.

By Paul Tenorio  |  May 31, 2009; 2:59 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: Edu Out

Comments

looks like a nice win for the Freedom today. 3-0 in the first half and 2 more assists for Bompastor. look forward to seeing the highlights (if there is any video).

in the WPS game of the week on FSC, Sky Blue is finally wearing blue kits, while the Breakers are wearing a....slightly darker shade of blue. huh?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | May 31, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

WPS teams are continuing to struggle with the uniform colors on television. I wish they would tell us there is some story behind it.

Freedom won 3-1. There were times when the crowds at the fields around the main field were louder than the Freedom match. I know I saw at least three goals for a blue team.

Posted by: sitruc | May 31, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

3rd jersey, 3rd jersey!

Posted by: DadRyan | May 31, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

It was weird to see blue vs. blue, but it was pretty badass to see her teammate yank Natasha Kai's shoulder back into joint.

Posted by: AndrewKB | June 1, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Indeed a great day for soccer, and sitruc is right, the MD State Cup finals were delayed by a day and so some games were still underway at 4, including an epic that I was privileged to watch that went OT. I made it inside just before the beer garden closed for the last 20 mins of Freedom.

Can anyone provide more color than Tenorio's print story? The last 20 minutes looked pretty ragged both ways.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 1, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Before the game, the Freedom announced an offer of 10 free wings at Glory Days if they scored at least three goals, which they managed to accomplish within 32 minutes. Despite the large number of Freedom fans who converged on the place, I (and perhaps others) had to ask to have one of the many screens tuned in to FSC, and we missed most of the first half of the WPS match. (FSC was already on in the smaller area in which the Freedom players were sequestered.) But once they took care of that, I decided to stay and order additional food and drink. Unfortunately, the second half of that match was pretty uneventful.

Posted by: universityandpark | June 1, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Uneventful yeah, but it has been a long time since I've seen a player in any sport ask a teammate to yank a shoulder back into its socket . . . and stay in the game. Remember that next time you see a male player ride off on a stretcher like it's a sedan chair, and then pop up on the half line anxious to get waived back in.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 1, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I liked the announcers saying they didn't know what was wrong with her and we're watching her have a teammate pull her arm.

Posted by: sitruc | June 1, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Did the announcers say anything substantive about the Sawyers dismissal? Has there been any reason reported?

Joedoc did you cover the Freedom game?

Posted by: OWNTF | June 1, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

kai really needs to get that shoulder checked out. but yeah she was pretty badass last night.

i hope bompastor is wps player of the month

Posted by: KG118 | June 1, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I hope either Bompastor or De Vanna get Player of the Month. De Vanna has had an assist or a goal in every game this month (3 goals and one assist total). They both have a good shot at it.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | June 1, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

******************************************

A report in the Newark Star-Ledger was referenced in this blog several days ago. I don't know whether there is any more recent information.

Posted by: cow_pasture | June 1, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

LDV will have a shot if she becomes player of the week (i think they usually announce that on a tuesday). so far the players of the week for the month are: sonia bompastor, lori chalupny, christine sinclair, and jill loyden. from this list bompastor has been the most consistent. loyden is a long shot since she has only played one game so far (tough being hope solo's back up).

Posted by: KG118 | June 1, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

@KG118 I agree that being POTW would help LDV - even though there is a write in spot I think the players that are listed already have a clear advantage. I heard somewhere that Karina LeBlanc almost won last month as a write in candidate.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | June 1, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

@ OWNTF

1st half was clear domination by the Freedom, with Gold Pride only threatening on the occasional counter. The Freedom's back line played well together, and there was a lot of mutual cover and support. From where I sat, I didn't know the own-goal wasn't a freedom goal until I read about it. The free kick goal was a thing of beauty and unstoppable.

Very ragged 2nd half for the home side, with Gold Pride looking more coherent and energized. I was half expecting a second goal from them, the way they started winning second balls (like the Freedom had done 1st half). Even for stretches after the ejection, the Freedom had a little trouble possessing, but they really shut it down as the match went into added time. Sawa seemed to catch a second wind, and the defense stopped thumping it blindly up-field.

I will say this: Abby Wambach does get hit a lot, but for a big girl, she sure seems to go to ground fairly easily.

Posted by: StevanF | June 1, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse